• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

You still here RD? I'll be in for glory checking after every fight.

I was using it more on reaction and at close range so it wasn't punishable whenever I did it, or maybe the player couldn't wise up to it , but he was pretty good so I'll have to check it up on some more villagers.
Pit's guardian orbitars have terrible start up and end lag, but admittedly I barely use them unless once in a blue moon for some safe landing. Gonna have to see how it works.

Arm isn't something I really worry about since the startup is slow no matter how close Pit is, and I'll almost always have time to react. The Orbitars, on the other hand, make it so I have to stop my offense entirely and run up to you in order to get you to stop. Villager's only option against them is a dair, and even then I have to hope I didn't accidentally hit the side of an Orbitar lol

It's the downside of Villager's offense being almost entirely projectile-based.

Puruzi

Banned
Arm isn't something I really worry about since the startup is slow no matter how close Pit is, and I'll almost always have time to react. The Orbitars, on the other hand, make it so I have to stop my offense entirely and run up to you in order to get you to stop. Villager's only option against them is a dair, and even then I have to hope I didn't accidentally hit the side of an Orbitar lol

All Villager needs is Nair.

villager.mp45iszw.gif

I mean I understand. You admittidley focus on 2 characters that have to be careful with their approaches in Bowser and Gannondorf. I hadn't gotten around to really playing Bowser much in 4 yet, but I played him regularly in Brawl and in that game he had even less offensive options so I know where you are coming from. When the game's roster balloons the way it has, you're going to have characters that fall towards that Bowser/Gannondorf defensive level. I will say one of the things I have noticed really good Gannondorf players do is they take a constant, slow approach towards the opponent while learning to power shield everything. I would look into applying this approach strategy with what you are already doing with your gannondorf. I also don't know how I feel about that sideB. I feel like the default is better.

I would also encourage you to try characters with a more offensive focused (or at least the option to be offensively focused) playstyle, so you you can better see the benefits of offensive play.

Diddy
Sheik
Ness
Lucario
Mario
Luigi
Mii Brawler
Yoshi
Fox
Pikachu
Greninja
Shulk
Wario

There are a few others on the cusp, like C.Falcon, but I'll stick to those (Actually thinking about it, you may like Falcon as you play Gannondorf and Falcon is speedier.)

What are some defensive minded characters you have in mind?
The custom side B is better for less careful players, but default is better for more careful players. I am leaning toward going back to default.

The thing is this, Shamrock: I only really like playing villains. Look at the horrifically short-changed list of villains in this game, and you will see how limited my options are. You play Ness partially, I assume, because you are a big Earthbound fan. A game which I will purchase and play through this summer. Aesthetics are part of character choice. Could I enjoy some of these other playstyles? Likely so, but I don't feel satisfied winning with the character, which is even more important for my personal enjoyment of the game. Hence why I keep mentioning Mewtwo. A projectile-oriented villain? Praise be! I tried Dark Link, but the voice is the same, which bothers me. Your entire list is "good guys" to me.

I generally agree with your list except for Mario and Lucario. I find that they are both rather limited in their offensive options. My frame of reference is Bowser play. Can a character continually assault Bowser safely? Then that character has good offensive options. Or, is the character so limited that the player has to turtle, resulting in a natural turtle-off? Then that character is limited. In my experience, most characters can't open Bowser up without me making a mistake, which means their offense is bad.

The problem isn't just that Dorf has to be careful. I can be careful, and honestly, I was only half paying attention during our set. I was trying to edit the code in the ranbat brackets on the side, so my mind was multitasking and not focused on good play. My Dorf is typically much more slow and methodical than what you saw. Unfortunately, I play on a 50" TV, so input lag makes power shielding difficult.

Anyway, Dorf doesn't just have to be careful. He is entirely unsafe. For example, against Cronoc, I used a dtilt at max range to poke him. This should be perfectly safe. Instead, it got power shielded and grabbed before Dorf could even recover. That is extremely poor game design. There isn't anything Dorf can do about that kind of issue. He is just fucked if the opponent has good defense.

I enjoy our conversations.

Edit: oh, re: defensive characters. One that strikes me in particular is Robin. Zero capacity for offense unless the opponent is pinned. The smart plan is to charge your book, and then shield, roll, or spot dodge if the opponent gets too close. This highlights the irritating defensive nature of the game if you are Bowser, because when you get close, Robin can spot dodge, or shield. If Robin shields, you have to grab. If Robin spot dodges, Robin can punish the grab recovery. The situation is inherently a 50/50 mix up on Bowser just for him trying to attack. That is inherently ridiculous. There should be a safe method of attacking an opponent that is doing nothing but blocking.

Edit 2:
If Sakurai put together a competent roster, I should have Wolf, Mewtwo, and Ridley to pick from. Notice that the first two of these villains already have projectiles, adding more variety to someone of my aesthetic inclinations. Ridley would probably be an offensive aerial character based on spacing, as well. Demise would also be a good option.

Anyway, look at the villain list for the game and you will see how few options I have. It is actually rather pathetic in terms of roster diversity.

The custom side B is better for less careful players, but default is better for more careful players. I am leaning toward going back to default.

The thing is this, Shamrock: I only really like playing villains. Look at the horrifically short-changed list of villains in this game, and you will see how limited my options are. You play Ness partially, I assume, because you are a big Earthbound fan. A game which I will purchase and play through this summer. Aesthetics are part of character choice. Could I enjoy some of these other playstyles? Likely so, but I don't feel satisfied winning with the character, which is even more important for my personal enjoyment of the game. Hence why I keep mentioning Mewtwo. A projectile-oriented villain? Praise be! I tried Dark Link, but the voice is the same, which bothers me. Your entire list is "good guys" to me.

I generally agree with your list except for Mario and Lucario. I find that they are both rather limited in their offensive options. My frame of reference is Bowser play. Can a character continually assault Bowser safely? Then that character has good offensive options. Or, is the character so limited that the player has to turtle, resulting in a natural turtle-off? Then that character is limited. In my experience, most characters can't open Bowser up without me making a mistake, which means their offense is bad.

The problem isn't just that Dorf has to be careful. I can be careful, and honestly, I was only half paying attention during our set. I was trying to edit the code in the ranbat brackets on the side, so my mind was multitasking and not focused on good play. My Dorf is typically much more slow and methodical than what you saw. Unfortunately, I play on a 50" TV, so input lag makes power shielding difficult.

Anyway, Dorf doesn't just have to be careful. He is entirely unsafe. For example, against Cronoc, I used a dtilt at max range to poke him. This should be perfectly safe. Instead, it got power shielded and grabbed before Dorf could even recover. That is extremely poor game design. There isn't anything Dorf can do about that kind of issue. He is just fucked if the opponent has good defense.

I enjoy our conversations.

Absolutely. The great thing about the people that frequent this thread is we can debate and disagree and still keep things civil and friendly.

I understand gravitating towards the characters you like. My sole reason for sticking with Ness and Link for so long, even though they weren't near as good in previous games, is because they are my two favorite videogame series. Most Lucario players try to play it safe, but I'm telling you, the best Lucario player I went against was incredibly offensive and bullish with his approach. I saved one of our matches. I went 1-3 against him in pretty intense friendlies. It was someone from anthers. Also, the best Mario players I have gone up against are incredibly aggressive. Mario has a ton of approach options with cape, his tilts, and his fireballs. Dude is a beast offensively if you can master him.

Boney

Banned
I think he is underrated, but still not great.

His Fire Breath is better than Bowser's, and I think Bowser's Fire Breath is a fantastic move.

His recovery is awful, but you can fix that with customs.

Flare Blitz is a great move if you know how to use it right.

Rock Crush makes people second guess approaching him for follow-ups, but it has low payoff.

His aerial "hops" are pretty limited and bad. Nair can be safe, but its window is extremely small. His jabs follow up one after another reasonably well, but they are short range. I generally feel like he is a little better than Bowser, but he has a lot of the same issues. If they made Nair always autocancel, he would be a lot better. His moves come out really slow.
I think you're underrating his jab game, it's pretty fast, has a good hit box and does great damage, I agree he has limited tools but they're pretty effective when mixed up the right was, nothing more satisfying than rock smash or a well placed fire blitz.

I mean it's not like it's used every time for every approach but it's a great mix up for when they think they can throw a Lloyd rocket in front to keep safe they'll eat a punch the face. Idk gotta keep trying but using the orbitars sounds like a bad plan when you can just run up and grab a baited one.

Absolutely. The great thing about the people that frequent this thread is we can debate and disagree and still keep things civil and friendly.

I understand gravitating towards the characters you like. My sole reason for sticking with Ness and Link for so long, even though they weren't near as good in previous games, is because they are my two favorite videogame series. Most Lucario players try to play it safe, but I'm telling you, the best Lucario player I went against was incredibly offensive and bullish with his approach. I saved one of our matches. I went 1-3 against him in pretty intense friendlies. It was someone from anthers. Also, the best Mario players I have gone up against are incredibly aggressive. Mario has a ton of approach options with cape, his tilts, and his fireballs. Dude is a beast offensively if you can master him.
I made two edits to my previous post. Be sure to read them for more insight on my perspective.

I haven't faced a Lucario that gives Bowser trouble. Can you upload your match against the one that best your Ness? Mario players are generally aggressive, but I have played a lot of them, and never found one Bowser can't beat. His approach options are all punishable. OoS Fortress beats everything. Bowser can just jab the fireballs.

I think you're underrating his jab game, it's pretty fast, has a good hit box and does great damage, I agree he has limited tools but they're pretty effective when mixed up the right was, nothing more satisfying than rock smash or a well placed fire blitz.

I mean it's not like it's used every time for every approach but it's a great mix up for when they think they can throw a Lloyd rocket in front to keep safe they'll eat a punch the face. Idk gotta keep trying but using the orbitars sounds like a bad plan when you can just run up and grab a baited one.
QisTopTier on here mains Zard, so I have played good ones. Coming from a Bowser perspective, Zard has weak normals. I can space him out with tilts all day without worrying. I only get hit by YOLO Flare Blitz (I get hit by these all the time like an idiot) and Fire Breath. Zard is otherwise a free match for me, in my experience. Definitely not fear-inducing. Some characters are stressful to play against. They usually have good offense. Others don't, and aren't.

Boney

Banned
I think your robin analysis isn't that good compared to most others you do, I mean he is a defensive, zoning character but he should be about cornering you opponents.

You could always be dark samus and join the samus revolution lol. Or dark pit and be a worse version of pit (I'm teasing by the way don't take me serious here)
Anyways, anyone wanna play?

I think your robin analysis isn't that good compared to most others you do, I mean he is a defensive, zoning character but he should be about cornering you opponents.

You could always be dark samus and join the samus revolution lol. Or dark pit and be a worse version of pit (I'm teasing by the way don't take me serious here)
Anyways, anyone wanna play?
Well, I can punish Robin's Arcfire on reaction, so it isn't safe. All of Robin's aerials are punishable. That leaves the tome charging.

Samus seems so slow and bad...I mained her in Melee, but I haven't enjoyed her since her bombs stopped going off on touch.

Boney

Banned
Well, I can punish Robin's Arcfire on reaction, so it isn't safe. All of Robin's aerials are punishable. That leaves the tome charging.

Samus seems so slow and bad...I mained her in Melee, but I haven't enjoyed her since her bombs stopped going off on touch.
They do go of touch but after a second

Dark Link's voice is just Link's, slightly deeper with an echo. It could work Kars!
If it was changed in-game, maybe. :p

Really though, I AM enjoying Ganondorf. He is teaching me things I didn't have to learn with Bowser, like spiking. Hopefully he can keep me busy until Mewtwo.

Also, I have to add something about characters I tend to like: I don't like characters that use tools. I like them to fight with natural strength and ability. Bows, arrows, bombs, and swords are all a turnoff. I know that seems incredibly picky, but in Marvel 3 I have a fully functional team of tool-less villains.

I know, I am hard to satisfy. :p

They do go of touch but after a second
Useless!

GGs. I was worried that you were gonna go Little Mac on me due to your avatar. I have problems against Little Mac.

Dude I should have...I was so thinking about it to but I hadn't played him in a while. Um trying to get Link and Captain Falcon down but...that didn't happen lol. Should've played little Mac though! Haha

Little Mac is one of my mains I don't know why I didn't play him. Should've played him instead of Sheik who I absolutely never play...

The Adder

Banned
I haven't faced a Lucario that gives Bowser trouble. Can you upload your match against the one that best your Ness? Mario players are generally aggressive, but I have played a lot of them, and never found one Bowser can't beat. His approach options are all punishable. OoS Fortress beats everything. Bowser can just jab the fireballs.

I'll show you my 1311 Lucario if you'd like once I'm off work. My 2311 one is really turtle-y, but my default and 1311 are offensive.

Although it's probably not going to matter since you're probably a better player than I am.

Boney

Banned
If it was changed in-game, maybe. :p

Really though, I AM enjoying Ganondorf. He is teaching me things I didn't have to learn with Bowser, like spiking. Hopefully he can keep me busy until Mewtwo.

Also, I have to add something about characters I tend to like: I don't like characters that use tools. I like them to fight with natural strength and ability. Bows, arrows, bombs, and swords are all a turnoff. I know that seems incredibly picky, but in Marvel 3 I have a fully functional team of tool-less villains.

I know, I am hard to satisfy. :p

Useless!
Be dark sonic >.>

Hope Mewtwo comes soon enough

I'll show you my 1311 Lucario if you'd like once I'm off work. My 2311 one is really turtle-y, but my default and 1311 are offensive.

Although it's probably not going to matter since you're probably a better player than I am.

Your Lucario is a bitch lol God damn custom aura sphere haha XD

All Villager needs is Nair.

Right, but no Villager worth their bells is going to be using Lloyd while a Pit is in their face, which is the only time using Arm would be worth it.

Villager also can't grab Pit out of Orbitars IIRC. They push him too far away, and he has to wait until Pit drops them.

I am glad to play you, but Shamrock is possibly the best player here. I want to specifically see the Lucario that he has trouble with, if you follow me.

Is 1311 the vacuum Aura Sphere?

Be dark sonic >.>

Hope Mewtwo comes soon enough
Never met a not-creepy Sonic fan. :/ Even at the school I teach at, the Sonic fans are all weirdos.

The Adder

Banned
I am glad to play you, but Shamrock is possibly the best player here. I want to specifically see the Lucario that he has trouble with, if you follow me.

Is 1311 the vacuum Aura Sphere?

No, that's regular Aura Sphere.

2311 is Snaring Aura Sphere, Long-Distance Force Palm, Default, Default.

In other news, I've got a GCN adapter on reserve. With any luck I'll be stepping my game back up soon.

mstevens

Play with friends if you can. Play as everyone, you'll learn who you like to play as. Definitely learn to beat the computer. Once you've put in the time playing with friends then you can start watching videos to improve your game. Playing with friends is best, back when Melee came out, me and my friends could sit for 2 hours messing around without realizing it. Nothing has changed to this point. We could still sit and play for hours just messing around. Competitive play take a lot of dedication, practice, research, practice, playing better players than yourself, trial and error, research and practice. Best way to get into the game is to learn and play with friends.

Thanks for the advice. I spent about an hour practicing moving around and doing jump attacks with Ness. Starting to feel more comfortable with it. It seems like pk fire, his jump forward, and throws are the most useful. I just am really bad at defense... Need to get in the habit of shielding and rolling around I think.

A lot to take in as a new comer. (Not really a new comer to the series, been playing since 64, just haven't really put much energy into it.)

Thanks for the advice. I spent about an hour practicing moving around and doing jump attacks with Ness. Starting to feel more comfortable with it. It seems like pk fire, his jump forward, and throws are the most useful. I just am really bad at defense... Need to get in the habit of shielding and rolling around I think.

A lot to take in as a new comer. (Not really a new comer to the series, been playing since 64, just haven't really put much energy into it.)
Shamrock here is a top tier Ness player. Get matches in with him.

Boney

Banned

Remember to not roll around TOO much. I think for basic defense whenever you try to go for an attack and it doesn't connect you should try either shielding dodging or rolling depending on the situation. Of course this isn't 100% the case but more often than not your opponent will get first strike opportunity before you do.

Ness has a bunch of moves with no ending lag and those are the ones that are safe to throw and get your opponent to lower his defense.

If you are gonna main ness master pk thunder

Alright Smash GAF, sorry for my absence. I've been in Korea for a week.

I just walked off the plane like an hour ago, and it's like 5am in my current time zone, but I wanna get some practice matches in before I start doing any Ranbat round 2 stuff.

Anyone up for some games? Keep in mind I'm super tired, haven't played in a little while, but will still be going in hard with Mega.

vikki

I've been playing since 64 as well. I've participated in tournaments and had my ass handed to me, but it fun seeing competitive players play. I had actually been out of playing smash for about 3 years when Sm4sh came out. I played Kentaro and got destroyed, although I did get a win with Wario, he might've let me win. If you're interested in playing, you can FR me. ID: Space-Oceans

Message me if I'm online, I'll practice with you. So you know, I'm alright at the game. I wouldn't say good or bad.

Alright Smash GAF, sorry for my absence. I've been in Korea for a week.

I just walked off the plane like an hour ago, and it's like 5am in my current time zone, but I wanna get some practice matches in before I start doing any Ranbat round 2 stuff.

Anyone up for some games? Keep in mind I'm super tired, haven't played in a little while, but will still be going in hard with Mega.
I'll play some with you, not too many though because I'm taking a break from studying..

FSLink

Banned
I think he is underrated, but still not great.

His Fire Breath is better than Bowser's, and I think Bowser's Fire Breath is a fantastic move.

His recovery is awful, but you can fix that with customs.

Flare Blitz is a great move if you know how to use it right.

Rock Crush makes people second guess approaching him for follow-ups, but it has low payoff.

His aerial "hops" are pretty limited and bad. Nair can be safe, but its window is extremely small. His jabs follow up one after another reasonably well, but they are short range. I generally feel like he is a little better than Bowser, but he has a lot of the same issues. If they made Nair always autocancel, he would be a lot better. His moves come out really slow.

I think with Dragon Rush custom + his better OOS options, I think a good player will do well with him.
There's a reason why Dragon Rush was nerfed, that shit was pretty broke before, lol.

I'm still trying to decide my main for a meta with customs on. I usually use Diddy + Ness (and Luigi for DIddy Kongs) for with it off.
Anyone want to play?

I think with Dragon Rush custom + his better OOS options, I think a good player will do well with him.
There's a reason why Dragon Rush was nerfed, that shit was pretty broke before, lol.

I'm still trying to decide my main for a meta with customs on. I usually use Diddy + Ness (and Luigi for DIddy Kongs) for with it off.
Anyone want to play?

I'll play. Don't know if we've added.

Anyone want to play?
What was Dragon Rush like pre-nerf?

FSLink

Banned
I'll make a room once you accept, but it might not appear. Maybe it's my system settings.

Added. I made a room if you want to try joining that one.

Dragon Rush got a damage nerf from 15% to 11%, so it was pretty ridiculous with how great of a move it was for Charizard. It was a pretty much straight upgrade since you can rack up damage fast.

Top Bottom