• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Boney

Banned
Alright last one.
Fun games. Forgot how scary a good Yoshi player can be. He has insane mobility in the air and has one of the best aerials in the game, along with a fantastic side smash that recoils your hurt box. Scary stuff, had a lot of fun but was getting really sleepy in theist games.

Are you bracket 1 btw?

Fun games. Forgot how scary a good Yoshi player can be. He has insane mobility in the air and has one of the best aerials in the game, along with a fantastic side smash that recoils your hurt box. Scary stuff, had a lot of fun but was getting really sleepy in theist games.

Are you bracket 1 btw?

Haha, I thought I was doing bad today as Yoshi. Your missiles really wrecked me when you were Samus, and I ran right into your charge shots. Your Pit also got his fair share of Smash attacks in. Sorry for having such a shit Marth. I really wanna get good with him, but spacing is not my strong suit.

I am in bracket 1, sadly. I will probably get dominated, maybe getting up to 2 wins. But my not, because I have only played two of those in my bracket.

Good games. Did you not enter the ranbats last time? You seem good enough to be up in the brackets.

Maybe I should research my character more. I pretty much just play For Glory and some matches here.

Nabster92

Haha, I thought I was doing bad today as Yoshi. Your missiles really wrecked me when you were Samus, and I ran right into your charge shots. Your Pit also got his fair share of Smash attacks in. Sorry for having such a shit Marth. I really wanna get good with him, but spacing is not my strong suit.

I am in bracket 1, sadly. I will probably get dominated, maybe getting up to 2 wins. But my not, because I have only played two of those in my bracket.

Good games. Did you not enter the ranbats last time? You seem good enough to be up in the brackets.

Maybe I should research my character more. I pretty much just play For Glory and some matches here.

Would you be interested in doing our ranbats match now?

Boney

Banned

I got my wii u around mid December so I missed out last time :(
Samus missile customs are pretty good, I still have a soft spot for the regular ones but these are better, you lose track of them and they'll create an opening. Damage is garbage but who cares .

And don't worry about Marth or anything I tried messing with him as well and it's pretty hard to get around safely. Nabster has a great one, be sure to check it out.

You should check the Yoshi board in smash boards, samus one is pretty bare bones , but you still get to learn a few cool technology from other players.

mstevens

I've been playing since 64 as well. I've participated in tournaments and had my ass handed to me, but it fun seeing competitive players play. I had actually been out of playing smash for about 3 years when Sm4sh came out. I played Kentaro and got destroyed, although I did get a win with Wario, he might've let me win. If you're interested in playing, you can FR me. ID: Space-Oceans

Message me if I'm online, I'll practice with you. So you know, I'm alright at the game. I wouldn't say good or bad.

I'll take you up on that, I appreciate it. Just know, I'm absolutely not good yet haha. I should probably try to get pk thunder down a little before we play.

GGs Blackmage. I still have a lot to work on, but that experience taught me a lot. I think I am going to stick with Flame Choke over Flame Chain. I can't seem to Dair you consistently. Do you have any tips for that?

Great games Kar!

I'd say stick with the normal Ganon side-B, personally. I'm not a fan of the that custom, as it takes away a little bit of the mix-up game Ganon has. Not to mention his normal grab is garbage, so he doesn't have much of an answer to shields with out it.

The custom down-b is great, though it is much more punishable than you'd think by watching me eat it each and every time. I think part of the problem is that for the most part, you were following it up with the forward tilt or down tilt. I think that's a great combo to use, but maybe a little bit less often.

I liked that you started to use Ganon's neutral air, which usually is not seen too often. It was blocking my air dodge, as you obviously noticed, so great use of that.

Personally, I think you were doing better in the matches where you relied on the B-moves less often, and stuck with spacing out Ganon's normals.

All in all, good stuff! You'll be a force to be reckoned with in the Ranbats for sure.

Thanks for playing!

Edit: In regards to down-air, I was actively trying to avoid it-- so what I was doing was changing the timing of my up-b. To counter that, your best bet would be to down-air a bit earlier than you normally would (or later if I waited, but that was rare). Easier said than done, of course. It's all about prediction at the end of the day.

Great games Kar!

I'd say stick with the normal Ganon side-B, personally. I'm not a fan of the that custom, as it takes away a little bit of the mix-up game Ganon has. Not to mention his normal grab is garbage, so he doesn't have much of an answer to shields with out it.

The custom down-b is great, though it is much more punishable than you'd think by watching me eat it each and every time. I think part of the problem is that for the most part, you were following it up with the forward tilt or down tilt. I think that's a great combo to use, but maybe a little bit less often.

I liked that you started to use Ganon's neutral air, which usually is not seen too often. It was blocking my air dodge, as you obviously noticed, so great use of that.

Personally, I think you were doing better in the matches where you relied on the B-moves less often, and stuck with spacing out Ganon's normals.

All in all, good stuff! You'll be a force to be reckoned with in the Ranbats for sure.

Thanks for playing!

Edit: In regards to down-air, I was actively trying to avoid it-- so what I was doing was changing the timing of my up-b. To counter that, your best bet would be to down-air a bit earlier than you normally would (or later if I waited, but that was rare). Easier said than done, of course. It's all about prediction at the end of the day.
I am using the down B a lot because I need to figure out which characters can punish it on block at which range. Sometimes I would be just out of punish range, which meant it was a safe attack. It will be a lot of trial and error for a long, long time before I get the hang of it. The move has a lot of weird behaviors.

Agreed on the side B. I do like the custom version, but this just offers so much in terms of making people afraid of shielding. I think Dorf needs that.

I've noticed that Nair consistently beats air dodges. Some Dorf players use it for gimping off stage, but I'm addicted to the Dair gimp. It just feels so good when it happens. :-O I am going to try and change it up more. The one time I went for an Uair gimp, it was successful against you.

The up B KOs always make me giggle. I should have saved the recording where we KOd each other simultaneously, but you got the star KO, so I died first (who knows what would have happened otherwise). My biggest issue is that I would dtilt, you would block and roll, and then I would get hit. GRRR. What should I do there, do you think?

FSLink

Banned
I think Flame Chain is probably worth using on faster opponents, plus good opponents will usually tech Flame Choke so it's a consistent punish instead of trying to guess their tech options. You can also approach with usmash on shields, with Ganondorf and punish most things with side tilt if they try to punish the relatively safe usmash. A lot of his smashes are pretty safe on shield, so you can still pressure people's shields into being afraid of it being broken and go from there.

I usually go with Flame Choke myself but I can see the merits of Flame Chain.

I think Flame Chain is probably worth using on faster opponents, plus good opponents will usually tech Flame Choke so it's a consistent punish instead of trying to guess their tech options. You can also approach with usmash on shields, with Ganondorf and punish most things with side tilt if they try to punish the relatively safe usmash. A lot of his smashes are pretty safe on shield, so you can still pressure people's shields into being afraid of it being broken and go from there.

I usually go with Flame Choke myself but I can see the merits of Flame Chain.
If I approach with usmash, I would lose to a jab, though. Or get shield grabbed.

Flame Chain is great against aerial opponents, because it hits a bit above Dorf's hitbox. Any time someone is coming down from the ground, Flame Chain rocks their world.

But as great as it is, I think Dorf needs Flame Choke for the shield pressure.

None of his smashes are safe on shield. Hell, ftilt isn't even safe on shield.

FSLink

Banned
If I approach with usmash, I would lose to a jab, though. Or get shield grabbed.

Flame Chain is great against aerial opponents, because it hits a bit above Dorf's hitbox. Any time someone is coming down from the ground, Flame Chain rocks their world.

But as great as it is, I think Dorf needs Flame Choke for the shield pressure.

None of his smashes are safe on shield. Hell, ftilt isn't even safe on shield.

I didn't say they were completely safe, lol, just pretty safe. If they don't jab, a lot of his smashes does push them far enough to be mostly unpunishable. Not too sure about perfect shields though.

I do agree that Flame Choke is probably best in most matchups though.

The up B KOs always make me giggle. I should have saved the recording where we KOd each other simultaneously, but you got the star KO, so I died first (who knows what would have happened otherwise). My biggest issue is that I would dtilt, you would block and roll, and then I would get hit. GRRR. What should I do there, do you think?

Don't worry, I saved it. ;-)

With down-tilt, without being in the moment I'm having a hard time saying anything definitive. I think, a fully spaced down-tilt against a normal shield would give you enough time to move before someone could roll behind you and hit you back.

When you're not at the full distance of the down-tilt though, I think it's just going to be unsafe on block. I guess the only advice I can think of is to not throw it out so freely though that's tough since it's a great attack.

A perfect shield is another story, but I don't think there's much you can do in that situation regardless of the spacing.

Sorry, I don't think that's all that helpful!

I didn't say they were completely safe, lol, just pretty safe. If they don't jab, a lot of his smashes does push them far enough to be mostly unpunishable. Not too sure about perfect shields though.

I do agree that Flame Choke is probably best in most matchups though.
Only usmash. Fsmash is easily punished.

Don't worry, I saved it. ;-)

With down-tilt, without being in the moment I'm having a hard time saying anything definitive. I think, a fully spaced down-tilt against a normal shield would give you enough time to move before someone could roll behind you and hit you back.

When you're not at the full distance of the down-tilt though, I think it's just going to be unsafe on block. I guess the only advice I can think of is to not throw it out so freely though that's tough since it's a great attack.

A perfect shield is another story, but I don't think there's much you can do in that situation regardless of the spacing.

Sorry, I don't think that's all that helpful!
I get in this mindset of "aw yeah, he's in blockstun, time to pressure with dtilt". Then you roll out of shieldstun and I'm throwing out a second attack. Fack! I think what I will try doing is one dtilt, then back dash into a potential pivot tilt. OH, OH. I should jump in place and dair if you roll. I keep forgetting that's a thing. Then, if you don't roll, I can just land and reset the neutral, or Nair to say "stay in your corner!"

I am so goddamn good at getting people to the corner, and then I consistently blow it.

Rolling out of shieldstun messes me up a lot.

Hey, do you plan on uploading that match to YouTube? I'd love it if you could. Then I will link it to the Ganon boards on Smash.com for advice.

Masked Man

I said wow
Oh, I got it! If dtilt is blocked, I should go for Uair. No landing lag, hits on both sides, will stuff jump attempts. I am finally at the point where I can do more than just fundamentals, and I can consider what setups I can make with Dorf's moves.

I think Lucina is just so much more popular. The whole "waifu" thing is going on here too.

I'm working on a mega-Smash poll. I need some translators, if anyone wants to help. Trying to make it accessible to the whole Smash community.
A...mega poll?

Hey, do you plan on uploading that match to YouTube? I'd love it if you could. Then I will link it to the Ganon boards on Smash.com for advice.

I can record it with my phone or something and give you the file. I don't really have a Youtube channel or anything. I'll go ahead and do that sometime tomorrow!

Oh, I got it! If dtilt is blocked, I should go for Uair. No landing lag, hits on both sides, will stuff jump attempts. I am finally at the point where I can do more than just fundamentals, and I can consider what setups I can make with Dorf's moves.

A...mega poll?

After I did research on who Japanese players wanted for DLC, some people asked me to be even more detailed.

So far the mega poll has 40 questions. Hoping it will provide a lot of information for the community.

It covers preferences, gauges how much people know about Smash, DLC wishes, which characters are too OP/ need buffs and what kind of player is answering the questions (hardcore versus casual)

I can record it with my phone or something and give you the file. I don't really have a Youtube channel or anything. I'll go ahead and do that sometime tomorrow!
Thank you!

After I did research on who Japanese players wanted for DLC, some people asked me to be even more detailed.

So far the mega poll has 40 questions. Hoping it will provide a lot of information for the community.

It covers preferences, gauges how much people know about Smash, DLC wishes, which characters are too OP/ need buffs and what kind of player is answering the questions (hardcore versus casual)
Oh, I see. Interesting.

Speaking of Youtube videos, this is why equipment isn't legal.

Guys, Mario is so much fun but I think it's because I play Mario in Melee and PM. :O It's just wonderful to move with him, if it weren't for the lack of momentum conservation when jumping I'd say he feels as good as he would in an actual Mario game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, anyone in bracket 5 want to get a game done?

full disclosure: I mostly entered because I didn't want to stop playing the game completely, and as a learning experience for me. I will greatly appreciate feedback, but I think 90% of my problem is just not playing enough.

Boney

Banned
What I love doing with Ganon is when the opponent is near the ledge at ko percent it to whiff an up smash in front of them, most of the times they'll try to get a dash attack since it's the fastest punish option, but you'll get ftilt out faster, especially because there's no hitstun involved so the reaction time is incredible small. It's not gonna work against seasoned players but it can catch people off guards they think it's safe to approach.

I've been doing better as Samus, but it's hard to not just try to react to or read everything with down smash, since people love to try to roll in.
Try using short hops down airs, because she's floaty you do have a window to input it so you can hit the lower to the ground and still cancel the move on landing. It's safer but you gotta time it a lot better

Bullitus

Should I get Super Smash Bros. for WiiU?

I've never played Smash Bros. before but I kinda like fighting games. I often play these kind of games with my wife and/or friends and I'm looking for a good couch multiplayer game. Is this it? We are getting bored with Mario Kart and Towerfall so I think this would scratch that itch. Will we get enough out of it without ever going to an online match?

I've never played Smash Bros. before but I kinda like fighting games. I often play these kind of games with my wife and/or friends and I'm looking for a good couch multiplayer game. Is this it? We are getting bored with Mario Kart and Towerfall so I think this would scratch that itch. Will we get enough out of it without ever going to an online match?
This is it. Get it.

Boney

Banned

Depends on how proficient is your group of friends and your wife is for games in my opinion. While I think it is a simple game, lots of people have a hard time grasping what to do in all the chaos that might ensue, gaf had a thread not long ago about how the group of friends had no idea what was going on because they didn't read not watched the how to play video. Mind you I think the basics are easy to learn but you might want to tone down items down at first.

As for the game itself, yeah it can be a lot of fun, against even skilled people hilarity will ensue and you'll laugh your ass off at random shenanigans. Although it'll probably won't be a good game to play when it's just you and your wife, because it's more competitive rather then doing your own thing but idk.

Depends on how proficient is your group of friends and your wife is for games in my opinion. While I think it is a simple game, lots of people have a hard time grasping what to do in all the chaos that might ensue, gaf had a thread not long ago about how the group of friends had no idea what was going on because they didn't read not watched the how to play video. Mind you I think the basics are easy to learn but you might want to tone down items down at first.

As for the game itself, yeah it can be a lot of fun, against even skilled people hilarity will ensue and you'll laugh your ass off at random shenanigans. Although it'll probably won't be a good game to play when it's just you and your wife, because it's more competitive rather then doing your own thing but idk.
Don't forget they can play together as a team.

Top Bottom