• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

TWILT

Banned
Damn that KO punch lol

That'll be it for me tonight. GGs everyone! Fun games as usual! I really need to stop \ing my partner by accident. >_>

Cronox

Banned
Forgive me for reposting this. Given that everyone on GAF goes to sleep around now, I figure Nabster will be less likely to miss this on this page than as a post on the last.

GG's Cronox. 2:20 AM here so I should be getting to sleep now.

Good games Nabster. Things got a little more even when you switched off Rosalina, I just didn't really know what to do against her. Some of the last games I was just experimenting to see if I could get good punishes with fortress and dash slash, but even though I was getting hits they were such small damage compared to the average Rosalina/Luma attack... I think I'll need more time to figure out that matchup. Such BS that Luma can get her out of throws and protect her after a shield break :(

But in general, you're a great player regardless of character. Your offstage game had me really scared to go offstage, when I'd go off to edge-guard you often turned it around on me, to the point where I didn't even bother edge guarding you. So many fights to just make it back to the ledge...

I feel alright against you in the neutral game (though you've got the reads on me a lot), but when it comes to offstage you've got that in the bag. I can complain about the Rosalina or Captain Falcon matchup maybe but Marth, I don't know what was going on. It's funny that in FG fights often feel like they go at a certain "normal" pace, but I meet players like you occasionally that just play at a higher general speed. I know that Marth has all sorts of lag after various moves, but where I'd catch an average FG player after a laggy move, you escape. I'd blame it on lag but I've experienced similar things in local play. Also, always amazed at how many inputs I can flub when under pressure. So many SDs, so many rolls where there should have been a punish out of shield. I was rolling a lot against you, but only because I felt like staying in shield or spot-dodging wasn't getting me anywhere. Normally a bad habit, but sometimes it seemed the only way to get around you without getting hit.

I saved a couple replays from our matches, I'll review them and ruminate on what I can do next time.

Cronox

Banned
Bowser gets trounced so hard by Rosalina off stage. Nabster ends up gimping me when I ledge chase after him. -_-

Bloodborne is godlike.

Yeah, it's rough.

The nice thing about not owning a PS4 or Bloodborne is that the Souls games tend to be evergreen sort of experiences. If Bloodborne is like Demon's or Dark Souls, then when I add Bloodborne to my backlog in a year or two, and play it a year or two after that it'll still have people creating LTTP threads and playing online. I look forward to that.

Played DKWill in a set to three today. Holy crap. Got 3-0'd, and two of them were two stocks.
Yeah, played him in a local tourney over here in GF and got 3-0'd. He did teach me a bunch a stuff about the matchup after, especially Kong Cyclone.

Did you go Diddy?

FSLink

Banned
Yeah, played him in a local tourney over here in GF and got 3-0'd. He did teach me a bunch a stuff about the matchup after, especially Kong Cyclone.

Did you go Diddy?

I used Mario twice and Diddy once. I did better with Mario, though it was probably due to the unfamilarity of Shocking Cape and Scalding FLUDD.

I did better with Mario I felt, Diddy did almost nothing. I'm already pretty used to Kong Cyclone since I fight two DK players locally all the time and I know how to DI it...but his reads and reactions were crazy. I think I would be safe and then he would quickly dash pivot grab into a well-read string.

Not sure who I'll use in tourney come this Sunday if I face him in bracket. :p

Nabster92

Forgive me for reposting this. Given that everyone on GAF goes to sleep around now, I figure Nabster will be less likely to miss this on this page than as a post on the last.

Good games Nabster. Things got a little more even when you switched off Rosalina, I just didn't really know what to do against her. Some of the last games I was just experimenting to see if I could get good punishes with fortress and dash slash, but even though I was getting hits they were such small damage compared to the average Rosalina/Luma attack... I think I'll need more time to figure out that matchup. Such BS that Luma can get her out of throws and protect her after a shield break :(

But in general, you're a great player regardless of character. Your offstage game had me really scared to go offstage, when I'd go off to edge-guard you often turned it around on me, to the point where I didn't even bother edge guarding you. So many fights to just make it back to the ledge...

I feel alright against you in the neutral game (though you've got the reads on me a lot), but when it comes to offstage you've got that in the bag. I can complain about the Rosalina or Captain Falcon matchup maybe but Marth, I don't know what was going on. It's funny that in FG fights often feel like they go at a certain "normal" pace, but I meet players like you occasionally that just play at a higher general speed. I know that Marth has all sorts of lag after various moves, but where I'd catch an average FG player after a laggy move, you escape. I'd blame it on lag but I've experienced similar things in local play. Also, always amazed at how many inputs I can flub when under pressure. So many SDs, so many rolls where there should have been a punish out of shield. I was rolling a lot against you, but only because I felt like staying in shield or spot-dodging wasn't getting me anywhere. Normally a bad habit, but sometimes it seemed the only way to get around you without getting hit.

I saved a couple replays from our matches, I'll review them and ruminate on what I can do next time.

I'm usually pretty good about catching up on posts in this thread so I saw the first one anyways.

Anywho, for me personally, I tend to have the most trouble against people that are able to play super defensively and punish all of the risky things I do well. Dabuz has pretty much the opposite playstyle of rosalina that I do and exposed so many of my openings flawlessly, so I just got bopped completely by him at Apex. That's also why fortress oos seems to work so well on me. More so because it typically kills luma too.

Also, luma can't save me from throws. If you get a grab on me with luma around, you should throw me immediately. Luma can't attack while I'm in a throw animation. I was only able to escape because you tried to pummel me and luma can act during that. If you throw immediately the only way I can escape is if I start an attack before your grab and luma continues it and knocks me out of it, which isn't too different from a lot of other characters that can just jab out of grabs if you try to grab when they can still attack. Just can happen with more moves with more delay.

The times that luma can attack that seem to catch people off guard are after she gets hit and luma stays at that spot, whenever rosalina inputs an attack in that state luma will also start the attack but also start coming back to rosalina at the same time so the hitbox can still be out as it passes you. If the attack doesn't hit as far, rosalina can also press z and a direction and rosalina will air dodge while that direction of Luma's attack will come out. Both of these cases also assume luma is not in the shine state (detached with luma shot/warp) or in tumble.

Other sneaky times luma can hit are during the free fall animation after an up b. Also during a dash attack canceled grab so luma continues the dash attack for an extra 3% while rosalina grabs. That can also knock people off the ground on missed techs into the grab as well. A lot of people also sleep on Luma's second hit of n-air. If I come back onto stage facing outwards and hit you with the start of rosalinas n-air, people try to punish after that and get hit by the second hit of luma n-air going backwards and they get knocked offstage instead. Also a bunch of things you can do with lunar landed aerials that I should do more often.

In general you need to figure out what moves of yours put luma in tumble and use them to kill luma whenever possible. It's super annoying to a rosalina player when luma gets insta killed right after spawning and having to wait another 15 seconds for it to fall and die and respawn again. Also super annoying when you dodge an attack but still get hit by it because luma doesn't dodge and gets hit and extends the length of the hitbox in their attack.

Well I just won against my first Sonic, so I guess that's something.

EDIT: Either I'm doing something right, or I dropped a "tier". I went from getting my ass utterly handed to me to fighting people I can actually beat. I intentionally made sure to stay with people who were destroying me so that I can try and learn some of this "neutral game", watching for openings, but I think my defense needs to be better first. :x

I was playing against my friend late last night, when he did this to me:
vqX5od.gif

So few people understand the power of walking. Just walking up to somebody while power shielding all of their projectiles completely stumps some people. Wouldn't work quite as well against Duck Hunt, fortunately for SOMEONE.

Crazy Orders. Match 7. Fight against G&W.

Match starts, he charges at me, I roll behind him. He apparently, despite being CPU, read this, and mid roll I see him whip out his hammer with a big ol' "9".

FML.

GGs. There were some weird lag spikes during our set, unfortunately.

NamikazeBurst, I'm available to play you, for the foreseeable future.

Alright, are you going to make a room?

Eye for an eye there heh!

Nami you wanna do the ranbat?

-.- Your grab is too long, and your utilt should not hit behind you.

Good games. I can play some more after my ranbat if you want. I didn't actually warm up yet, like I was hoping to. Warm up as in my hands are still freezing!

Boney

Banned
Alright, are you going to make a room?

-.- Your grab is too long, and your utilt should not hit behind you.

Good games. I can play some more after my ranbat if you want. I didn't actually warm up yet, like I was hoping to. Warm up as in my hands are still freezing!
While having such long range is a good perk (compared to link's this one is amazing) it still has the problem of having a very long startup, in which I can't punish any of your aerials with a grab and makes some match ups incredibly frustrating, and an even longer end lag. Trust me, yoshi's grab seems sonic speed compared to this one. You always are making a gamble when you grab cause a roll will get you heavily punished.

And the up tilt actually hits with the butt, it can hit like right behind you. And i guess lylat kinda made it have longer reach for some reason.

And same here my hands are super cold, it's the worst trying to play like this

GGs, NamikazeBurst.

Good games! I am in shock. I had no idea what the hell your Sonic was doing, as I barely play a good Sonic, let alone with those customs. Delfino pulling through with those extremely narrow blast zones.

Anyone want to play? No point in me stopping and getting my ass kicked in Bloodborne right now.

Good games! I am in shock. I had no idea what the hell your Sonic was doing, as I barely play a good Sonic, let alone with those customs. Delfino pulling through with those extremely narrow blast zones.

Anyone want to play? No point in me stopping and getting my ass kicked in Bloodborne right now.

Sure man, let's do a few!

Top Bottom