• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

SoldnerKei

Well. That's one way to go out lol.

GGs Kei! Really fun games as usual! My Link's been slacking today lol; need to practice with him more.

but still you got some pretty sweet kills, I has been slacking with ZSS, I have been focusing too much on Link that I am not that good with her as I think I was before, and she is supposed to be my "use-in-case-of-bad-match-up-for-Link" character lol

I wanted to play your Shulk with Link thou, that little rat is evil I am telling ya, and of course Dark Link vs Goron Tunic Link is hype as always, GGs TWILT!

For Glory stays entertaining. I beat this dude three times in a row, and he changes his tag to "shield much" "same playr" "same moves". I just changed my tag to "yes".

For Glory stays entertaining. I beat this dude three times in a row, and he changes his tag to "shield much" "same playr" "same moves". I just changed my tag to "yes".
What really makes this pitiful is he had these premade, so you know he complains about people using shields often. How do some of these people even come to play For Glory?

What really makes this pitiful is he had these premade, so you know he complains about people using shields often. How do some of these people even come to play For Glory?

No idea, man. I don't complain when I get consistently stomped on, and that happens a lot. If I can't deal with a particular strategy, why would I expect my opponent, who intends to win, to stop using it? Plus... if my opponent is shielding everything, it means I'm making my approach obvious.

I don't even understand the logic behind complaining about shields either. Like, am I supposed to not shield and let you hit me for free? Fuck outta here with that scrub shit, maybe you shouldn't be trying to hit me with unsafe moves like an up-B in the middle of the stage.

Oh, and I'm not saying this about you specifically Karst, it's just ranting about scrubs. Your up-B's are always safe. '~'

Cronox

Banned
You can make a sandwich during its active frames.

I would like it to be toned down a bit in a patch. It is rather silly right now.

But that's what usmash is for. Actually I had a Shulk manage to hit me with vision through Bowser's usmash for the first time ever last night. But besides that I welcome Shulk's counter, at least I have an answer for it when someone's getting counter happy.

silly stuff that happened in the games against TWILT
I'll upload the whole games later, along with our ranbat set CRQ
I liked the Kirby-not-really-cide. I just finished making a gfycat of a great 0 to death I did in FG last night. Thanks go out to my opponent, who is the real artist here. Very little in that video could have happened without his assistance. I think together we created a special moment.
Nice clips! The Kirby-cide setup was hilarious in that the initial taunt jokingly appears to be a mind game to set you up to taunt, allowing TWILT to swoop in for the hilarity hahah

SoldnerKei

Nice clips! The Kirby-cide setup was hilarious in that the initial taunt jokingly appears to be a mind game to set you up to taunt, allowing TWILT to swoop in for the hilarity hahah

I liked the Kirby-not-really-cide. I just finished making a gfycat of a great 0 to death I did in FG last night. Thanks go out to my opponent, who is the real artist here. Very little in that video could have happened without his assistance. I think together we created a special moment.

yeah, TWILT got me good with that one lol

and man, that falcon kick sealed his fate lol
when replay sharing becomes a thing for the wii u, there should totally be a community video with stuff like that, SmashGAF has plenty of good players to make an entertaining video, so I would glady help with the recording

Question for anyone that still plays the 3DS version every now and then. In classic, getting a wrench would originally prioritize the custom moves of the character you're playing over other characters', right? Did they change that with one of the patches so that it is just like the Wii U version where it gives priority to customs from the series the stage you chose is from? I just did a 8.0 run of classic mode with Fox and literally the only Star Fox related custom anything (including equipment) was from the final stage :/

Cronox

Banned
So what do you guys think about this?

Nice little chat thing they've got going on, and based on the reddit thread here they plan on creating a ladder around it. Competition for Anther's? I know Nintendojo exists, but when I played there they weren't the nicest bunch of guys. :(

Saw this earlier myself, I'm not sure about this. For all its enthusiasm, the competitive smash community is relatively small. Splitting the online playerbase between Anther's, Nintendojo and now this seems like too many divisions in an already-small pie. Personally, I'd prefer these platforms pool their efforts. If this becomes more popular with Smash 4 players I suppose I'll have to look into it though. Looks slick, at least.

EVO rules are up for the Smash games.

CA-pJmKUwAAcvyP.png

Something interesting to point out is that for Sm4sh there's no distinction made between starter and counterpick stages. We could be seeing a system where all stages are available from game 1, which I'm favorable to. :)

Good to see Miis not banned. There was talk of banning them because "they didn't add anything to the game" which is a dumb reason and there was a lot of outcry over it.

What are they doing with weights and stuff, how are they setting them up?

the custom moveset project has 2 different standard weights for the Miis and QR codes for these standardized Miis.

Brawler will probably be the only Mii we see during the tournament, but it's good to include the entire cast of characters (and it would be silly to go through the trouble of having customs enabled, but ban Miis)

Nabster92

Anyone near the DCMV area?

Do you mean DC/Maryland/Virginia area? If so, I'm in Virginia. I always hear the region abbreviated as either DMV or MD/VA. DC often seems forgotten in the region, though there is gonna be a tournament off metro center on April 18th at least. I believe there's a Xanadu monthly the week before that as well.

There are a few Facebook groups for the region you should join if you're interested/haven't already.

Tripon

Miis haven't been decided yet.

Also, for all the complaining about Miis, blame previous Smash TOs and tournaments. The bans on Miis has happened for a long while and only with the introduction of customs did the ban get lifted.

Miis haven't been decided yet.

Also, for all the complaining about Miis, blame previous Smash TOs and tournaments. The bans on Miis has happened for a long while and only with the introduction of customs did the ban get lifted.

It's really dumb that there's even a question about it. It takes all of 10 seconds to make a default sized Mii with 1111.

Yea, it's not optimal builds for them, but... it seems really dumb to outright ban three entire characters for no real reason.

It takes longer to unlock Smashville than it does to make every viable combination of Miis... I'm actually surprised Nintendo hasn't stepped in and forced a solution that allows Miis since they're a major character feature in the game.

I think mainly the problem comes with two misconceptions
1. That making standard Miis everyone can use is time consuming. It's not at all. If they have time to set up controls before every match, they have time to make a Mii Fighter
2. That Miis are custom characters and fighting games never allow custom characters. Miis aren't custom characters. They're characters that you can custom, but they're not custom characters. A Mii with a stock height and weight is no different than any other character in the game.

No idea, man. I don't complain when I get consistently stomped on, and that happens a lot. If I can't deal with a particular strategy, why would I expect my opponent, who intends to win, to stop using it? Plus... if my opponent is shielding everything, it means I'm making my approach obvious.
Yeah, I don't know how someone can think otherwise.

I don't even understand the logic behind complaining about shields either. Like, am I supposed to not shield and let you hit me for free? Fuck outta here with that scrub shit, maybe you shouldn't be trying to hit me with unsafe moves like an up-B in the middle of the stage.

Oh, and I'm not saying this about you specifically Karst, it's just ranting about scrubs. Your up-B's are always safe. '~'
Haha, I know it isn't about me. Bowser is like "Up B: The Character".

But that's what usmash is for. Actually I had a Shulk manage to hit me with vision through Bowser's usmash for the first time ever last night. But besides that I welcome Shulk's counter, at least I have an answer for it when someone's getting counter happy.
Usmash won't block the counter on the ground, though. Shulk can always opt to recover low and never be subjected to usmash armor.

Boney

Banned
read at smash boards that people want some stages legalized like Pokemon Stadium 2, Orbital Assault, Norfair among others.

I honestly wouldn't mind if we could start experimenting on these type of stages in our daily friendlies we have going on here to see how it goes.

What do you guys think?

This is the list of stages for most liberal proposers

Mushroom Kingdom U
Mario Circuit
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Woolly World
Orbital Gate Assault
Kalos Pokemon League
Gamer
Garden of Hope
Windy Hill Zone

It's too bad you can't easily use the 8 player Smash versions of stages, as Norfair, Pyrosphere and Pokemon Stadium 2 would be easy legal stages.

It's one of my most wanted new features. The ability to toggle to 8-player/all star versions of the stages easily (with more added).

It's too bad you can't easily use the 8 player Smash versions of stages, as Norfair, Pyrosphere and Pokemon Stadium 2 would be easy legal stages.

It's one of my most wanted new features. The ability to toggle to 8-player/all star versions of the stages easily (with more added).

Wouldn't you just select 8 player smash?

Although I guess that would mean backing out of regular smash... But yeah, that would be WONDERFUL if we could do that.

read at smash boards that people want some stages legalized like Pokemon Stadium 2, Orbital Assault, Norfair among others.

I honestly wouldn't mind if we could start experimenting on these type of stages in our daily friendlies we have going on here to see how it goes.

What do you guys think?

Mushroom Kingdom U
Mario Circuit
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Woolly World
Orbital Gate Assault
Kalos Pokemon League
Gamer
Garden of Hope
Windy Hill Zone
Walk-offs are bad.

Orbital Assault is crazy random. The individual ships don't even have ledges to grab.

Luigi's Mansion negates all projectiles.

If Halberd is legal (it shouldn't be), then I dont see why Gamer can't be.

Boney

Banned
I agree that walk offs are bad but none of these stages are actually full walk offs like Wii Fit Studio or Colliseum, just transforming ones and if Castle seige is legal, i don't see why these couldn't.

Orbital Assualt isn't random at all but it requires constant adjustments, arwings and missiles are grabable though, but just from the nose, wings and the missile thingies on the back, not the engines though.

Luigi negates projectiles, but that's why it's a counterpick right?

I'm interested in trying out fights in stages with no centralized platforms, could be great on certain match ups.

My biggest ones that I'm not that interested is Kalos because some effects are way too strong and gamer because of the roof.

Of course that's the idea of start trying them out and see how they work in practice.

TWILT

Banned
Orbital causes some crazy lag in my experience even with the Omega version, so I'm already against it. Some of the stuff in Kalos League is pretty darn bad too (shame too, stage looks really nice visual wise).

What do you guys think?

Mushroom Kingdom U
Mario Circuit
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Woolly World
Orbital Gate Assault
Kalos Pokemon League
Gamer
Garden of Hope
Windy Hill Zone
Mushroom Kingdom U has Nabbit, who can randomly capture people and kill them. Then there's the transformation where water spouts randomly appear and they sometimes have enemies, not to mention the icicles from above.

Mario Circuit has a nasty ceiling that players can repeatedly get damaged from in a certain phase.

Luigi's also has ceilings where you can constantly attack enemies, and I remember trapping Karst in a series of utilts he only escaped due to his partner saving him.

Norfair has lava that randomly eats half the stage, and then there's the tidal wave of lava.

Woolly World is alright, but the transformation here could give certain characters like Mac huge issues.

Orbital Gate Assault is Poke Floats.

Kalos has a lot of hazards way more obtrusive than you'd think, with turning characters metal, flame pillars and swords that can attack if you're unlucky, water sweeping in like in Distant Planet, and a dragon statue firing off random energy bursts. They shift the focus of the match way more than Halberd imo.

Gamer's layout is random, and the mom deals a fair bit of damage when you're spotted. My issue isn't with the mom, but with the random layout that can make adapting to this stage difficult.

Garden of Hope has monsters come in every once-in-a-while and you can be trapped in the pot thing. Also the stage is plain huge, so if Big Battlefield isn't allowed this shouldn't be either.

Windy Hill is alright, but the side blast zones are pretty close to the stage and that spring hazard can kill. Also, it's huge as well. Maybe this could work in doubles?

Those are my thoughts right now, feel free to offer any rebuttals to them.

Tripon

I think Big Battlefield should allowed as well, at least for doubles.
Sure, Gamer is randomized, and allows for caves of life, however, unless the person is teching like crazy, they're fodder for a better player to kill them off the walls.

Garden of Hope is fine, there's actually no walkoffs, and the crab is noticeable that you can avoid them. If we allow Halberd and its hazards, we can allow stages that aren't perfect like Garden of Hope, Gamer, etc.

Windy Hill won't be made legal because Nintendo says it can't be used in tournaments they sponsor because they don't own the streaming rights to the music on it.

That would make it pretty awkward to have legal in some tournaments, but banned in most major ones.

Finally getting to the part where I stop hitting the wrong damn buttons with this new control scheme, though it still happens from time to time. Hopefully there is a payoff... I'm already much better at float attacking when I actually do it haha.

Anyone wanna 1o1?
NNID is H3XAntiStyle

Finally getting to the part where I stop hitting the wrong damn buttons with this new control scheme, though it still happens from time to time. Hopefully there is a payoff... I'm already much better at float attacking when I actually do it haha.

Anyone wanna 1o1?
NNID is H3XAntiStyle
I'll play since I have some time. I think I sent you an invite, but I'm not sure if you accepted. But, you can host.

Boney

Banned
Mushroom Kingdom U has Nabbit, who can randomly capture people and kill them. Then there's the transformation where water spouts randomly appear and they sometimes have enemies, not to mention the icicles from above.

Mario Circuit has a nasty ceiling that players can repeatedly get damaged from in a certain phase.

Luigi's also has ceilings where you can constantly attack enemies, and I remember trapping Karst in a series of utilts he only escaped due to his partner saving him.

Norfair has lava that randomly eats half the stage, and then there's the tidal wave of lava.

Woolly World is alright, but the transformation here could give certain characters like Mac huge issues.

Orbital Gate Assault is Poke Floats.

Kalos has a lot of hazards way more obtrusive than you'd think, with turning characters metal, flame pillars and swords that can attack if you're unlucky, water sweeping in like in Distant Planet, and a dragon statue firing off random energy bursts. They shift the focus of the match way more than Halberd imo.

Gamer's layout is random, and the mom deals a fair bit of damage when you're spotted. My issue isn't with the mom, but with the random layout that can make adapting to this stage difficult.

Garden of Hope has monsters come in every once-in-a-while and you can be trapped in the pot thing. Also the stage is plain huge, so if Big Battlefield isn't allowed this shouldn't be either.

Windy Hill is alright, but the side blast zones are pretty close to the stage and that spring hazard can kill. Also, it's huge as well. Maybe this could work in doubles?

Those are my thoughts right now, feel free to offer any rebuttals to them.

While I agree with every of your points, the problem that arises is whether or not, all of those points are valid enough to ban the stages. These stages are most definately not neutral, and that's where we have to determine their value as to being able to be picked, whereas their hazards are randomized and detrimental enough from a fair fight, in the same way Halberd isn't considered (by the community at large even though there are huge dissenters) an actual threat. I think it's all about stage positioning being more favorable than regular neutral stages, and how you got to adapt to them.

I'd like to say that I also don't agree with all these stages at first glance, especially roofed stages.

MKU is a weird one for me. The transformations I think are excellent, even the rotating platforms in the castle area. It allows for dynamic style of play, but never a transformation that will kill any aggresiveness like Pokemon Stadium 1, or Wuhu does. However the hazards that exist can be detrimental to play and I'd love to test them out. Nabbit is a threat that can only kill at very high %, while it provides a type of wall where you can push your oponnents towards. Urchins are the biggest problem for me due to the way they interfere with recovery options. The icicles are always telegraphed and the extra platforms aren't a direct threat. I'd love to test it out a bit and actually see how the hazards affect 1v1, I'm still undecided on it.

I agree on Luigi being a terrible stage because how combos work and because it provides safe areas that make koing extra hard. I don't like it and I'd be hard pressed to make a good case for it.

Norfair I think is a fantastic stage. No central platform, and lava floor and walls make for very interesting dynamics that can be used for your favour, plus it can make for some serious tight battlefields at times. The tidal wave can be very easily dodged, and the platforms allow for lots of recovery options while in this game you can't ledge spam like in Brawl. I'm very much in favour of this unorthodox stage, my only small gripes are the lava blasts that sometimes come out of the walls.

Mario Circuit has that phase with the ceiling that both provides combo opportunities (in case of un techs) and protection for vertical koing. But it's only a momentary phase that I think lasts around 15 seconds, just as there are stages like Delfino's that has the blastzones change, there's also this that allows for vertical protection for a very limited time once per match. There's also a phase with one wall on the right side that also falls in the same category for me, it's a little bit more problematic but I'd put it in the same way walk offs exist. There's no difference between offensive like stages like Delfino, Halberd or Castle Siege and defensive stages like this one in my opinion. The karts might be a problem, but I'd love to test how much they affect the fights. I'm very much in favour of this stage, I love it.

Wooly World as you mentioned, also seems like a great stage. Sure it provides Mac a huge disadvantage, but as a Mac player you always have the ability to ban it. I just need to see how much it affects aggresiveness, because if players have no incentive to go in (a la PK1) and the other part is a walk off then, I don't think it should be played. I'm partially in favour of it.

I think Orbital is amazing, 5 different transformations, with the arwings being able to tilt and move around a bit, similar to lylat in that regard. I really wanna test this stage out because I think it can actually be a great choice on 1v1.

Garden of Hope's monsters should also be treated as Halberd in my opinion, The only problem I have is the bridge where you can get stuck under it if Pikmin build on top of you, but I need to see how fast they come out and build it properly. I'm in favour as well.

Kalos, I agree, hazards are way too much, but I'd love to test it out a bit more in friendlies, while Gamer has the randomized layout and short roofs, which are a big nono for me personally, plus mom can start getting really fast after some time goes by also making it super random.

And as for Windy Hill, due to the licensing issues I suppose it's never gonna see tourney play and I agree the spring is what's also what's having me doubt it, It still seems like a cool stage.

Oh and Pkmn Stadium 2 is a weird one due to the effects it has, I personally hate it but I don't know if it's actually a good idea to actually ban it completely.

On a scale of 1 to "I've read this book 20 times", how predictable am I?
I was able to read some of the stuff you were doing, especially the rolls. I would try to mix it up a bit with some sheilding/spot dodging if you whiff an attack. :p

But, I like the Peach. Barely get to play against her, so was fun!

I was able to read some of the stuff you were doing, especially the rolls. I would try to mix it up a bit with some sheilding/spot dodging if you whiff an attack. :p

But, I like the Peach. Barely get to play against her, so was fun!

Only some? Cuz I got wrekt

I just baited a ZSS into DAIR'ing off a cliff.

Ha. In the little lobby in For Glory, I got 3 Stich Face turnips in a row, then when the match started my first pull was a BobOmb. That will *never* happen again.

Nabster92

I'm screwed.

10306470_10153130914686203_4403712682746771054_n.jpg

I mean I only recognize axe there as someone of note, so I'm guessing he would be the 1st seed of the pool. I'm pretty sure you can pick any given pool and say the same thing since there's always gonna be somebody noteworthy as the first seed in each pool. What you should be looking for is how many people advance from each pool and is there anyone else of note in your pool that you think can beat you to all of those advancing spots.

Top Bottom