• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Okay, and I'm probably crazy for saying this, but I honestly think that Great Cave Offensive is one of my favorite levels. It's huge, but huge with a reason, with the different areas having reasons for being. Maybe it's just because of the way me and my friend play, but we LOVE playing on that level in duels, just because there's so much of the level to try and use to your advantage.
And I actually don't even like it as an 8 player Smash level haha.

And I'm fairly certain I'm the only one who feels this way.

EDIT:
I'll fight ya if you're still on

Lez do it.

God bless people with power saves that will unlock all 3ds customs for you

Okay, and I'm probably crazy for saying this, but I honestly think that Great Cave Offensive is one of my favorite levels. It's huge, but huge with a reason, with the different areas having reasons for being. Maybe it's just because of the way me and my friend play, but we LOVE playing on that level in duels, just because there's so much of the level to try and use to your advantage.
And I actually don't even like it as an 8 player Smash level haha.

And I'm fairly certain I'm the only one who feels this way.

EDIT:

Lez do it.

GCO and Palutena's Temple are all fun and games until someone decides to run away all match long >_>

Cronox

Banned
I'm around for another 20 minutes or so if you want to continue a bit after Boney.

Also, Jigglypuff doesn't fare that great in between the Samus-Mega Man projectile war...

GGs Tipster and the other people in our 2v2s.

What's the secret to grabbing? And more importantly not getting grabbed? Seems like anyone who ever wants to grab me could do it in their sleep, but I can't ever do it.

There are a lot of levels of skill, just keep working at it. If you want to work on grabs, always be on the lookout for when you can grab people. After they've done a slow attack that you've shielded, quickly run up and grab them. If they're rolling a lot, run in the direction they're going and grab, etc.

Boney

Banned
Last one for me guys!
Alright man good matches!
I'm around for another 20 minutes or so if you want to continue a bit after Boney.

Also, Jigglypuff doesn't fare that great in between the Samus-Mega Man projectile war...

There are a lot of levels of skill, just keep working at it. If you want to work on grabs, always be on the lookout for when you can grab people. After they've done a slow attack that you've shielded, quickly run up and grab them. If they're rolling a lot, run in the direction they're going and grab, etc.
Sure, let's do a few more :)
And yeah 3 people and samus and Megaman as opponents is tought to get sandwiched

I'm not sure why Peach has a grab button when my hand will literally be in their bubble and not grab...

Also glad to know I'm just highly predictable...

GGs Tipster and the other people in our 2v2s.

Yeah, I'm trying that. Apparently Peach's grab range is her elbow or some shit.

Cronox

Banned
I really think it's a very bad match up for bowser. Makes Samus's floaty aerials hit him all the time

Matchup being what it may, I'm playing like shit.

I can't believe the shit I'm whiffing right now. I haven't played for a few days, but I shouldn't be this bad. Maybe the 2v2s never put me in a competitive mindset or something. I don't know.

At least I got a stock off you in the last fight before another stupid SD. Seems that's the best I can hope for at the moment.

GGs, I'll look into playing properly next time. I'm off to dinner.

Boney

Banned
Matchup being what it may, I'm playing like shit.

I can't believe the shit I'm whiffing right now. I haven't played for a few days, but I shouldn't be this bad. Maybe the 2v2s never put me in a competitive mindset or something. I don't know.

At least I got a stock off you in the last fight before another stupid SD. Seems that's the best I can hope for at the moment.
Many fights you were having either the advantage or being really close and you ended up sding. A few strings and you'd rack up crazy damage. It's really hard for bowser to get in safely and I can rack up a lot of damage easily.
Shame you couldn't focus correctly. I think smash boards might be a good way to salvage info as for the match up, it's hard to get desperate, you were doing too many bombs and stuff.
Still, had a lot of fun :) thanks for playing

Monster Zero

Eventually, my brain will put two and two together and stop doing the exact same thing over and over again.

Pretty much, I could almost always tell when you were going to go for grab, peach grab sucks anyway, just float and throw turnips

Many fights you were having either the advantage or being really close and you ended up sding. A few strings and you'd rack up crazy damage. It's really hard for bowser to get in safely and I can rack up a lot of damage easily.
Shame you couldn't focus correctly. I think smash boards might be a good way to salvage info as for the match up, it's hard to get desperate, you were doing too many bombs and stuff.
Still, had a lot of fun :) thanks for playing

I'm still hyped, you wanna 1v1?

KingGhidra

Pretty much, I could almost always tell when you were going to go for grab, peach grab sucks anyway, just float and throw turnips

I'm still hyped, you wanna 1v1?

KingGhidra

I just have no idea how to fight a whole lot of characters, so I end up flailing wildly. It's part of why I'm terrible at literally any game ever, I panic entirely too easy and absolutely suck when panicking.
Kirby's too fucking short, and ROB is annoying as hell. Had no idea how not to get hit by everything you did.

It's so frustrating because I know I just need to practice, but you guys are SO FAR AHEAD of me that it just feels hopeless when I turn into a punching bag, and the "learn how shit works" part of my brain just shuts off. If I could just actually focus on what I'm doing instead of just raging at how bad I suck, I could like, actually get better.

ffdgh

I feel your pain. My brain cant process how to fight most fast characters as peach at all...especially zamus and her stupid grab.

Monster Zero

I just have no idea how to fight a whole lot of characters, so I end up flailing wildly. It's part of why I'm terrible at literally any game ever, I panic entirely too easy and absolutely suck when panicking.
Kirby's too fucking short, and ROB is annoying as hell. Had no idea how not to get hit by everything you did.

It's so frustrating because I know I just need to practice, but you guys are SO FAR AHEAD of me that it just feels hopeless when I turn into a punching bag, and the "learn how shit works" part of my brain just shuts off. If I could just actually focus on what I'm doing instead of just raging at how bad I suck, I could like, actually get better.

Yea most of gaf is a bit advanced, so it's baptism by fire trying to learn from us wailing on you. For glory is perfect for making up new approaches and mix ups. I like to disable everything but my grab and tilt and go into FG

Damn for some reason today I'm pulling off insane reads. When playing FG I usually don't get this lucky, but I'll doubt I'll ever match my performance today anytime soon unless I've somehow hit a new point in my playstyle. Nearly pulled Jv3's a few times. Also since I always leave after one match being able to have so many consecutive wins in a row feels great for once.

Even got my first kill using Zelda's neutral A lol.

You can try facing off against me someday. I'm not as good as many of the other guys in GAF here. Can also give you some help on what you're doing wrong too. In my case I have only one good char, a couple of ok ones and I'm garbage with the rest. So if I want to shift my skill level I can just change chars.

I just need to say that it feels so satisfying to kill someone at relatively early percents because you punished their recovery with the freaking killer barrel roll(uB3) from Fox

I feel your pain. My brain cant process how to fight most fast characters as peach at all...especially zamus and her stupid grab.

Honestly ZSS doesn't seem particularly troublesome. And I mean that in the sense of on average, against a ZSS in FG, I don't feel particularly overwhelmed. I'm sure if a GAF member used ZSS I should just put the controller down, but FG it's all the oddball characters that no one chooses that destroy me. I do better against the higher tier characters because at least I have an idea of what they are going to do.

Yea most of gaf is a bit advanced, so it's baptism by fire trying to learn from us wailing on you. For glory is perfect for making up new approaches and mix ups. I like to disable everything but my grab and tilt and go into FG

I am TOTALLY FINE getting wailed on, but only if I get some pointers in between, like "Hey you did that, stop doing that thing" or etc. Just getting wailed on with no input other than watching my character get juggled for three stocks is just infuriating. It doesn't teach me anything except familiarity with Peach's falling animation.

Also apparently every character in the game except Peach has easy ass combos. You look at Peach's combos and it's like "Pull this insane shit you have 3 frames to execute go".

I seriously just need to remove the panic button from my brain. It's what's killing me, I know it. If I could stop PANICKING, and do what I KNOW I'M SUPPOSED TO DO, I'd immediately jump up in skill.

I seriously just need to remove the panic button from my brain. It's what's killing me, I know it. If I could stop PANICKING, and do what I KNOW I'M SUPPOSED TO DO, I'd immediately jump up in skill.

One thing I can suggest is if you have the time, like say while you're eating or something, go onto the replay channel and just watch Peach replays and study other players. If you see something nice, try mimicking it in a match later.

ffdgh

Also apparently every character in the game except Peach has easy ass combos. You look at Peach's combos and it's like "Pull this insane shit you have 3 frames to execute go".

Down throw to back air(with a few pummels) is what I usually use to rack up damage since it's quick and easy lol.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think I just experienced glitch.

I activated Knock Out Punch by Little Mac then quickly went into Shield. Other guy went and touched my shield (not sure what he did)

Knock Out Punch effect went off as he touched my shield. He almost got eliminated because of that.

Boney

Banned
Alright man, just a few more I'm super tired here, been playing for a while and it's late

I think I just experienced glitch.

I activated Knock Out Punch by Little Mac then quickly went into Shield. Other guy went and touched my shield (not sure what he did)

Knock Out Punch effect went off as he touched my shield. He almost got eliminated because of that.
Did you save it?

Boney

Banned
Good games bone, I have a burning hatred for all ranged characters, that samus got the goods
Thanks! You really got me good a few times there.
Sorry about that last match, I wasn't even trying then. Way too tired to focus. Still, fun games, nasty Kirby you got there, hate fighting him as samus as well because of inhale. Kirby with a charge shot is just insane

I love this guy using 12 year old insults with his tags haha.

Also, I think I figured out what the fundamental thing I've been doing wrong is...

I haven't been looking at the enemy. :/
I've basically been focusing in the neutral space in between the characters, using my peripheral vision to try and see both the opponent and myself, and while it worked well enough for seeing things coming at me, it seems as though my focusing on the stage itself prevented me from being able to think about what the opponent was trying to do. I don't know. But I realized this in a match against a Little Mac, who I very narrowly lost against (I could've sworn you could shield a KO punch...). About halfway through this fight with a Link, I remembered that I should've been fucking GLUING MY EYEBALLS TO HIM instead of just trying to see everything, and I think it turned out quite well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ2pUrD3O-c&feature=youtu.be
*This should work I guess. My first YouTube video*

Also, I think I figured out what the fundamental thing I've been doing wrong is...

I've basically been focusing in the neutral space in between the characters, using my peripheral vision to try and see both the opponent and myself, and while it worked well enough for seeing things coming at me, it seems as though my focusing on the stage itself prevented me from being able to think about what the opponent was trying to do. I don't know. But I realized this in a match against a Little Mac, who I very narrowly lost against (I could've sworn you could shield a KO punch...). About halfway through this fight with a Link, I remembered that I should've been fucking GLUING MY EYEBALLS TO HIM instead of just trying to see everything, and I think it turned out quite well:

That's good. You just need to work on not doing the same input too many times in a row when you aren't sure what to do, though. Try not to down tilt more than twice in a row, try not to spam spotdodge since characters with multi-hit attacks can easily punish it, and never backroll repeatedly as an approach. I think you forget about Peach's float when you're looking for a KO and just start running back and forth looking for dash attacks, which only really works with Captain Falcon. You want to get them to make a mistake. Make them think you're approaching with short hops or low float and see if they make a big mistake like going for a dash attack or unsafe aerials.

Also don't be too hasty with your items, I think you threw a Bob-omb and a Mr. Saturn.

Good stuff, friend. Yep, you definitely want to focus on the enemy more than yourself; you already know what you're doing, so watch what they're doing and plan accordingly.

I noticed you relied heavily on rolls as a form of movement, something weaker players often do. Use your dashes more, even walk before you think about just rolling to get to where you want to go. You can jump out of them, but not out of rolls so consider your options. The other issue with rolling is if you abuse them like you did in that match, you'll be punished by stronger players when you're vulnerable. Try to curb the habit and explore other options; you have a float, so try it.

Keep track of what turnips you pull and whether you pulled an item. If you got a Mr. Saturn, bait out a shield and break it. If you got a Bob-omb, try to blow them up but don't be hasty. If you get a stitchface turnip, take advantage of its high knockback to send the opponent flying, and so forth. You tended to haphazardly toss veggies without regard to what they were.

When you're looking for the kill, try to make them come to you in your situations. You're Peach, you don't excel in approaching but in punishing approaches. You're not Falcon; throw some veggies at Link and make him feel like he's not gonna kill unless he gets closer, and then dodge his tactics and punish accordingly. Don't be afraid to wait, you still have 2 minutes on the clock, plenty of time to seal the game. You never know if a lucky veggie is right around the corner, so don't just toss out dash attacks hoping they'll stick.

On that note, floating in and out of their space is something to keep in mind. Fair and bair are good tools to lay on the pressure, as well as dair from above and uair from below. Nair should be your combo breaker in the air and something to hit them off-stage with.

As you get used to seeing what your opponent is doing, try busting out the Toad. He's really strong in this game and a well-placed Toad counter can turn the tables in your favor.

Also, I need to get an actual camera or capture card, your video makes mine look like shit. ;__;

TWILT

Banned
GGs Nabster. Your Rosalina's great as usual. I was hoping my piercing arrow Link could have done a bit better, but I'm happy that I at least won a few. :p Fun matches!

Nabster92

GG's Twilt. Man I've been playing too many scrubs on FG and autopiloting stupid things too much. Need to get my shit together. Great Link and Shulk though.

Top Bottom