• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Fugu

Anyone had any luck playing as Peach in this game? I'm pretty good with her in Melee but I'm really at a loss for what to do as her without float cancelling, fast fall fairs out of float, and a substantially nerfed bair that can't be used for pressure because it's so unsafe.

I refuse to play as anyone else, however, because Peach is simply too badass.

MrBS

IEQr6kF.jpg
I'm ready for new years GAF :D

jeemer

can anyone point me towards a good thread or video on translating fundamentals for someone coming from more traditional fighters to smash? i'm pretty solid at sf and marvel, but i've had a couple of goes at smash so far and it just was not clicking for me at ALL.

i've watched the maximillian vids and got some of the basics like tilts etc... but I just couldn't get anything to combo, and it left me feeling like i ended up aimlessly jumping and button mashing.

i really want to like smash. plz halp.

can anyone point me towards a good thread or video on translating fundamentals for someone coming from more traditional fighters to smash? i'm pretty solid at sf and marvel, but i've had a couple of goes at smash so far and it just was not clicking for me at ALL.

i've watched the maximillian vids and got some of the basics like tilts etc... but I just couldn't get anything to combo, and it left me feeling like i ended up aimlessly jumping and button mashing.

I just honestly think you have to just keep playing. Smash is a very different game compared to any fighting game...or any other video game actually. It takes a bit of time to get used to the feel of the game but you'll eventually get it, especially if you're already into SF and Marvel. Just keep getting your ass kicked in For Glory and you'll get the hang of it. Afterwards I suggest looking up the technical shit online based on your main and stuff. Also, maybe look up tournament matches online or just watch replays of people online in Smash. Fun and educational!

Just don't stress it yet :D

Vena

I'd recommend watching some tournies, in that case, because they'll show you how pros use characters and learn where combo potential is and isn't in moves. There's a lot of Smash's gameplay and combos that comes down to mind-games.

I'm having some trouble with the Pac-Man 300,000 Target Blast stage 3 back-wall challenge. I've achieved 319,400, after hitting both bombs against the back wall using side-smashes. The challenge still hasn't unlocked.

Crayolan

I'm having some trouble with the Pac-Man 300,000 Target Blast stage 3 back-wall challenge. I've achieved 319,400, after hitting both bombs against the back wall using side-smashes. The challenge still hasn't unlocked.

I had the same problem. I think you have to get 300k+ using a single bomb (so the big bomb), but the challenge doesn't make that clear.

I'm struggling with SSBWiiU at the moment having only really put the most time into the GameCube version.

I was hoping they'd have an arcade mode rather than having to choose multi-player with CPU bots and couldn't get the button layout I'd customized to stick.

It's probably only because I've only spent about 30 minutes on it having gotten annoyed at having to dick about with everything rather than being able to jump straight into it.

Hey I don't know if this has been posted yet but I found instructions on reddit (via CAG) to place an OMS preorder for the gamecube adapter at Best Buy. Went and got 2 preordered (estimated delivery date 1/12/15) that will be delivered free to my house.

http://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/2qmpl0/wii_u_gamecube_adapter_available_at_bestbuy_via/

All I did was print out the reddit post, brought it to customer service and asked to place an OMS order with the SKU for the gamecube adapter. The employee just took down my information and charged me for the 2 adapters.

Your customer service person might get a bit confused, but keep at it. As long as it's listed as available at the warehouse they can order it for you.
However, it appears as if certain warehouses may not have stock or have run out depending on the store at which you are checking. If you find this to be the case, the only thing you can do is check other stores.
-Go to your local BestBuy
-Go to customer service desk
-Tell them you want to place an OMS order from the warehouse for SKU#7522006 (in the US) or Code Web#10172249 (in Canada)*see note below
-If they still don't know what you're talking about ask them to launch order management system from POS and
follow the on screen prompts. Every best buy has access to these. (thanks u/ReplyYouDidntExpect)
-Have it shipped to your house for free
-Wait impatiently and laugh at GameStop
Notes:
*The prospect for Canada is looking increasingly bleak. I have had no reported successes yet. It appears as if the item has been deleted from the Canadian systems. However, feel free to try and report your results. The Code Web# is the correct one for the item.
*It is looking like some stores have them in the warehouse and some don't. You are going to have to check and see which category your store falls into.
*The price is $20 with free shipping.
*You cannot do this over the phone because they use two different systems, one of which they cannot do over the phone for whatever reason.
I just placed my order so this does work. My shipping estimate is 1/2/15.
Proof: http://imgur.com/LdYJp0H
Good luck!

My receipt looked like a regular receipt, unlike the one posted above but I think it should be fine. Figured this is a decent alternative than the gamestop bundles

edit:if it makes a difference I placed my order at the East Brunswick, NJ best buy

edit:2 And I just got shipping confirmation :D

Just had three people in a row ragequit against my Mega Man online in For Glory. First person turned around and suicided twice in a row once I got him to around 50% without him damaging me at all, and the second and third people dropped after they lost their first stock. I guess it feels good since it means I'm maybe getting a little better, but on the other hand, I wish people would try harder or at least try to learn from their mistakes rather than just give up even a quarter of the way into the match. Just because I have an early lead doesn't mean it'll stay that way. I'm not even that good!

Mega Man is just so fun to play though, and he's even more fun to play well. Playing Mega Man really well in Smash feels a lot like playing a Mega Man game really well, and that's about the highest compliment I can pay to Sakurai and his team for how faithfully they translated every damn thing about him into Smash. :)

Guys, I've been playing Smash for a month now (yeah, newbie here) and I guess I'm slowly getting how the game works... except when it comes to defense.

I'm playing as Ness, and I know I can shield, dodge or absorb projectiles. The thing is, the game is just too fast! Before I can think of the best way to deal with my opponent's attacks, they already hit me ^_^

I've watched a few tutorials on shielding and dodging on youtube, and I feel like some of you have superhuman reflexes! How are you guys able to make decisions so fast? Jesus Christ! Any tips on improving my defense skills?

tesqui

I was thinking about getting this game cause I've played the other 3.

BUT I don't plan on playing the local multiplayer.

Would this still be a fun game to mess around in? Is there enough single player content? Also I'd probably play the online just to see what it's like.

SoldnerKei

Guys, I've been playing Smash for a month now (yeah, newbie here) and I guess I'm slowly getting how the game works... except when it comes to defense.

I'm playing as Ness, and I know I can shield, dodge or absorb projectiles. The thing is, the game is just too fast! Before I can think of the best way to deal with my opponent's attacks, they already hit me ^_^

I've watched a few tutorials on shielding and dodging on youtube, and I feel like some of you have superhuman reflexes! How are you guys able to make decisions so fast? Jesus Christ! Any tips on improving my defense skills?

play against Shamrock you can learn a lot from his Ness, from what I recall playing him in our ranbat, Ness off-stage game is hella annoying lol

as for reflexes and stuff like that, are you used to play fighting games? cause fast reaction is pretty much a must, practice will get you there, thou in Smash it doesn't apply too much to combos, but how to make proper DI, spacing, dodging, perfect shielding, etc, to keep yourself alive... something I do, mostly because I like most characters from the game, is to play them casually, that way I can grasp a bit of knowledge about how they are supposed to be played, how far their attacks reach, etc, so I can use that knowledge agaist people who use them, yeah, they'll probably have the upper hand with stuff I don't know about the character they master, but at least I'm not fighting something completely unknown

Would this still be a fun game to mess around in? Is there enough single player content? Also I'd probably play the online just to see what it's like.

well, if you're a completionist there is plenty of content to unlock, a lot of trophies, custom moves, headgears and outfits for the Miis, some challenges are pretty tough and online is pretty solid, and there is also event match, with challenge within the events too
imo the game is pretty solid for single player, not like the 3DS version at all

as for reflexes and stuff like that, are you used to play fighting games?

I used to be pretty good in Street Fighter II (including the turbo version) and I'm not bad at SFIV, Tekken and Soul Calibur (tough I'm far from being a pro). However, the action in Smash seems way faster than in those games! Since I'm a bit old-school when it comes to fighting games, maybe I just need to adapt to it's faster gameplay. I'll keep trying, maybe I'll get there eventually.

Sometimes you can anticipate what your opponent is going to do, and react before they give any visual indicator. For instance, if your opponent likes doing smash attacks, and you're right in front of them, they'll probably do a side smash. You can counter this by shielding then grab them. However, if your opponent likes to grab a lot, it may be better to spot dodge in that scenario. Rolling is sort of a newb move and the least effective, but the easiest to do. Rolling is the easiest to punish because it has the most ending lag. For this reason it's recommended you master shielding and spot dodging.

Once you get those, become familiar with the basics of all of the characters so you understand how you can space yourself from them safely.

Boney

Banned

If you're not playing multi either local or online don't bother

Online works like a charm

I'm having a blast. In Melee I loved playing Home-Run Contest. That mode appears in Smash 4 but honestly I'm having more fun with the new Target Blast and Trophy Rush modes. Classic Mode is so-so. Online multiplayer can be quite fun depending on your connection.

Onikaan

Anyone ever ordered Japanese hardware from PlayAsia?

I need a new GC controller and the Japanese version of the smash one is cheaper than the EU one. It says the thing is compatible with all Wii U consoles worldwide. Anything I should be thinking about?

Just don't want to run into any issues if im ordering from the other side of the world.

Anyone ever ordered Japanese hardware from PlayAsia?

I need a new GC controller and the Japanese version of the smash one is cheaper than the EU one. It says the thing is compatible with all Wii U consoles worldwide. Anything I should be thinking about?

Just don't want to run into any issues if im ordering from the other side of the world.

I've heard they're garbage.

Sometimes you can anticipate what your opponent is going to do, and react before they give any visual indicator. For instance, if your opponent likes doing smash attacks, and you're right in front of them, they'll probably do a side smash. You can counter this by shielding then grab them. However, if your opponent likes to grab a lot, it may be better to spot dodge in that scenario.

Hmmm, anticipating their moves... that makes a lot of sense. I consider my reflexes pretty good, but maybe now what I need is to understand how the other fighters attack so I can anticipate their moves and defend better. Pretty good advice, thanks a lot!

I'm gonna check with my ISP and see if there is a better configuration for my router. I'm picking up a LAN adapter tomorrow. I'll try again tomorrow night.
K, I will give you the time to work it out, then. I have all week off, so we can always do a match together once it is done.

Is there any way to have the CPU automatically set to Lvl 9 all the time for when you play them in regular Smash battles? Really annoying having to set it manually every time.

Just had three people in a row ragequit against my Mega Man online in For Glory. First person turned around and suicided twice in a row once I got him to around 50% without him damaging me at all, and the second and third people dropped after they lost their first stock. I guess it feels good since it means I'm maybe getting a little better, but on the other hand, I wish people would try harder or at least try to learn from their mistakes rather than just give up even a quarter of the way into the match. Just because I have an early lead doesn't mean it'll stay that way. I'm not even that good!

Mega Man is just so fun to play though, and he's even more fun to play well. Playing Mega Man really well in Smash feels a lot like playing a Mega Man game really well, and that's about the highest compliment I can pay to Sakurai and his team for how faithfully they translated every damn thing about him into Smash. :)
Are you sure three people in a row didn't quit because of lag? ;)

Anyone had any luck playing as Peach in this game? I'm pretty good with her in Melee but I'm really at a loss for what to do as her without float cancelling, fast fall fairs out of float, and a substantially nerfed bair that can't be used for pressure because it's so unsafe.

Yeah, whenever a character is really good expect it to get nerfed hard in the next iteration.

There is not much you can do to get back to your former glory. Just try one of the new characters.

Nabster92

If you haven't already seen this video, it does a pretty good job putting the neutral game into words and slowed down examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYWXCTKKDV0

Smash certainly does require some fast reaction time, but a lot of times, the reason people seem to be able to react so quickly to things is because they have a solid understanding of what CAN be done in that situation. Knowing the options the other player can take in a given situation makes it much easier to react to since you know it's coming.

Often times when you watch videos of a high level player going for an offstage edge guard their attempt may fail and instead they get hit into the stage for what would normally be a stage spike killing them. But because they understand that was an option the other player could have done, they know beforehand that there is a risk in the action that they are taking, and if the opponent reads them correctly they know they will get hit into the stage. Because they see that as an option, they know ahead of time that in order to survive that situation, they will have to hit shield at that time to successfully tech and survive the stage spike. It's not just entirely reaction time kicking in with a twitch "OH **** JUST GOT HIT PRESS R NOW" (though that can certainly happen sometimes as well).

So once you understand the basics of Smash, in order to get better, you need to learn how to play against all of the different characters and understand what everyone can do in different situations. It may help to save some replays of your matches and go back and watch them and try to analyse all of the situations that you got hit in the match and try to figure out why you got hit. What could you have done to avoid getting hit there? Were you punished for being too predictable with an unsafe attack that was shielded and punished? Were you being too cautious with your shield that you just got grabbed?

Once you start to understand things more and more, you will start to realize how you should properly space yourself on the stage to be at a safe distance from the person so that you can react to things you know they can do, and avoid and punish them appropriately, and also avoid putting yourself into bad situations like using your double jump too early to come back to the stage and getting hit back again without a jump.

She is just as good as ever bro

A little tweaked but still beastly

What do you want to know?

MGrant

I play Ness, too, and the biggest thing that was holding me back (still does, to an extent) was too much shielding/rolling, too many unnecessary air dodges (landing lag will get you killed) and too many close-range PK fires that get me grabbed and/or smashed to hell.

His tilts aren't great, so I choose to set the C-stick to smash attacks. Though f-tilt and d-tilt can stop some approaches with proper timing. Don't shield against fast characters (C. Falc, Sheik, etc.) too much unless you see a kill move coming. Their fast-moving stuff has pretty low damage, so it's not the end of the world if it hits you, because you can rack up damage a lot faster than they can with proper spacing. It's a lot better than relying on the shield or rolls and getting grabbed by Falcon from half a stage away. So try to mess up their spacing by dashing away/under them and react to whiffed moves if they undershoot them. Also, embrace the spot dodge.

I like to pivot-dash away (forward then immediately flick the stick backwards, stop for a fraction of a sec, dash away again) and do some instant pivot grabs when they think they're out of range (backward then immediately flick the stick forwards and hit grab when you see the puff of dust come up; it has about double the range of a standing grab and can catch a lot of those moves that are otherwise unpunishable because they push you away on block). And when I say flick the stick, I mean very quickly tapping the stick in a direction and letting it return to neutral.

Learn to perfect shield, too, because Diddy and Yoshi can be punished for using those stupid good smash attacks that have infinity range and almost no recovery.

Also, if you're facing someone who likes to pursue you a little too closely as you dash away, flick the stick in the opposite direction during your run and immediately fsmash. Catches a lot of people off guard.

I play Ness, too, and the biggest thing that was holding me back (still does, to an extent) was too much shielding/rolling, too many unnecessary air dodges (landing lag will get you killed) and too many close-range PK fires that get me grabbed and/or smashed to hell.

His tilts aren't great, so I choose to set the C-stick to smash attacks. Though f-tilt and d-tilt can stop some approaches with proper timing. Don't shield against fast characters (C. Falc, Sheik, etc.) too much unless you see a kill move coming. Their fast-moving stuff has pretty low damage, so it's not the end of the world if it hits you, because you can rack up damage a lot faster than they can with proper spacing. It's a lot better than relying on the shield or rolls and getting grabbed by Falcon from half a stage away. So try to mess up their spacing by dashing away/under them and react to whiffed moves if they undershoot them. Also, embrace the spot dodge.

I like to pivot-dash away (forward then immediately flick the stick backwards, stop for a fraction of a sec, dash away again) and do some instant pivot grabs when they think they're out of range (backward then immediately flick the stick forwards and hit grab when you see the puff of dust come up; it has about double the range of a standing grab and can catch a lot of those moves that are otherwise unpunishable because they push you away on block). And when I say flick the stick, I mean very quickly tapping the stick in a direction and letting it return to neutral.

Learn to perfect shield, too, because Diddy and Yoshi can be punished for using those stupid good smash attacks that have infinity range and almost no recovery.

Also, if you're facing someone who likes to pursue you a little too closely as you dash away, flick the stick in the opposite direction during your run and immediately fsmash. Catches a lot of people off guard.

Some good advice. I'd love to see your Ness if you ever have time for some 1v1s

I just got Smash and an Amiibo, and I'm very confused. I can feed it equipment, but I only got 3, and after I fed them all, I have nothing left. How do I unlock more equipment and what's the best way to do so? It also seems as if I can unlock moves or something for my Amiibo. How? Are they random drops, or is it something that unlocks after a certain level? It's a Pikachu Amiibo. Is there an extensive FAQ out there on this stuff, because all I'm finding are move guides and things not really about Amiibos. I know this has probably been asked a million times, but thanks.

Nabster92

I just got Smash and an Amiibo, and I'm very confused. I can feed it equipment, but I only got 3, and after I fed them all, I have nothing left. How do I unlock more equipment and what's the best way to do so? It also seems as if I can unlock moves or something for my Amiibo. How? Are they random drops, or is it something that unlocks after a certain level? It's a Pikachu Amiibo. Is there an extensive FAQ out there on this stuff, because all I'm finding are move guides and things not really about Amiibos. I know this has probably been asked a million times, but thanks.

I haven't really done much with Amiibo's myself yet, but custom moves and equipment are typically unlocked as random rewards in the various local single player/coop modes like classic, all-star, Smash Tour, and occasionally in target blast or home run contest. Crazy/Master Orders has some as rewards as well.

Anything you see that has like a red wrench icon as a reward is typically what you're looking for to get those as rewards.

one_kill

Play Solo, Smash Tour, etc. to start unlocking equipment

Tansut

Anytime after 9PM EST tonight I can play folks in Bracket 5. I still have to play:

Timeaisis
TWILT
Voliko
BumblebeeCody

JoeInky

Games were a little laggy but ggs Joe Inky. That Gannondorf is hard to hit sometimes.

Yeah it's a shame it's as laggy as it is with us, I found it really hard to do anything as ganondorf in those first few games, but GGs anyway, hopefully when I get good internet again I'll actually be a bit more competent, lots of incorrect inputs went on in that session, it seems to hate it whenever I do a jump and instead chooses to do the next input half the time.

Also it cannot be stated enough how much I hate the Mii character.

Yeah it's a shame it's as laggy as it is with us, I found it really hard to do anything as ganondorf in those first few games, but GGs anyway, hopefully when I get good internet again I'll actually be a bit more competent, lots of incorrect inputs went on in that session, it seems to hate it whenever I do a jump and instead chooses to do the next input half the time.

Also it cannot be stated enough how much I hate the Mii character.

Haha I knew that first game had to frustrate the hell out of you. When I want him to be, Mii can be so damn hard to even land one hit on

Top Bottom