• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Nabster92

Another silly question, but is there no way to play with the Game Pad such that I use the d-pad to control my character and not the stick?

I think the only way to play smash with a d-pad is using a wiimote alone. Even then, I highly recommend against it since Smash really doesn't work well with a d-pad and will prevent you from being able to do many things. Movement is very sensitive to even slight inputs on the stick and that's completely lost with using the d-pad instead.

Boney

Banned
I'm having a really hard time dealing with a good sonic with samus. He can cancel and roll and move way to fast and I can't combo into aerials. I'm in danger from half way across the screen while I have to completely read his moves to damage it but I can barely ko him

Any tips?

I think the only way to play smash with a d-pad is using a wiimote alone. Even then, I highly recommend against it since Smash really doesn't work well with a d-pad and will prevent you from being able to do many things. Movement is very sensitive to even slight inputs on the stick and that's completely lost with using the d-pad instead.

Hey I can play a few now if you are still available

JoeInky

Out of curiosity, what's your updated opinion on the game now that we've had it for like a month.

My updated opinion is that in my initial impressions I was right about everything except Ness being awful.

Not as good as Melee or Project M, but better than Brawl. Still have trouble placing 64 with this around though.

Game is still way more defensive than I personally would like, I'd love some extra hitstun, only 1 air dodge, a lot less "get punished for hitting the opponent" moves like a lot of characters jab strings and some kind of reduced end lag on hit system.

I'd still change a lot about certain characters, 80% of characters seem to be railroaded into only having one option at most in any situation and it just gets old fast playing the same character over and over in this game when they don't have many options.
Too much needless nerfing to certain characters as well (Hello, Falco).

Then moving away from mechanics:
-Omega mode is awful, it should have been a hazard toggle.
-For Glory Team Battle being time mode is a crock of shit. I know the reasoning behind it but the reasoning is rubbish imo in what is meant to be the more serious mode.
-No new Earthbound or F-Zero stage and no Corneria stage sucks, fuck the 3DS version.
-Classic mode sucks, it's just bad, and it's not really "classic" mode at all really, the 3DS version was better but still not as good as 64/Melee imo.
-8 Player smash is awful, have no idea how anyone can find it fun but I can't imagine it was a massive draw on development anyway.
-No Ice Climbers sucks, fuck the 3DS version.
-Custom moves were implemented in the worst possible way, completely stupid to unlock and even worse to setup and use.
-Smash Tour and Smash Run were a waste of time.
-Target Blast is awful, should have brought back proper break the targets.
-Rival Smash is a cool addition to Multi Man Melee, unless that was already in Brawl, I've forgotten almost everything about that game.
-Special orders is a fun mode, but I would rather it have replaced trophy rush and been the trophy collecting mode, all it does now is service a system where you continuously play the same shit over and over again hoping for a none duplicate random drop.
-Seriously, the single players modes ideas of meaningful content is incredibly lacking, no, I don't enjoy doing the same mode continuously and getting fuck all out of it 80% of the time.

I also think the character selection is a bit lacklustre. No Wolf, Lucas, Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur and most of all Ice Climbers missing is very disappointing to me. At the very least we're getting Mewtwo back (I also would have liked Roy over Lucina). But other than that there aren't enough retro newcomers for my liking, I really don't feel like Rosalina, Palutena, Lucina, Dark Pit or Miis """"deserve"""" to be there personally and I'd take throwaway characters from third-rate NES games over any of them any day.

Eh, I dunno, I'm playing it currently because I have no way to play Project M online and because it's nice to have a HD Smash without completely awful lag, but I can't say it isn't a disappointing game, feels very similar to Brawl in almost aspect and it's very much a "Brawl 2.0" rather than it's own unique thing in my eyes, unlike what everyone else seemed to be saying both pre and post release.

SoldnerKei

Eh, I dunno, I'm playing it currently because I have no way to play Project M online and because it's nice to have a HD Smash without completely awful lag, but I can't say it isn't a disappointing game, feels very similar to Brawl in almost aspect and it's very much a "Brawl 2.0" rather than it's own unique thing in my eyes, unlike what everyone else seemed to be saying both pre and post release.

have you tried this with Smoothlanding + heavy gravity?

as a Melee veteran/PM player, I enjoy this game in that "custom way" a lot, thou yeah, you cannot play it like that online, at least not with heavy gravity, but it's like a placebo Melee effect for local multiplayer lol

JoeInky

as a Melee veteran/PM player, I enjoy this game in that "custom way" a lot, thou yeah, you cannot play it like that online, at least not with heavy gravity, but it's like a placebo Melee effect for local multiplayer lol

I can't be arsed with that honestly, it's never going to be tournament standard so I have no interest in getting used to something like that. I've messed around with it but without online I can only play against CPUs and that's not really enjoyable.

MGrant

Some good advice. I'd love to see your Ness if you ever have time for some 1v1s

Sure! (even though Ness is strangely one of Ness's worst matchups, for me anyway). You can add my NNID: MOUNTAINMAAAAAN. I get home from work around 8:30 us central, so if I see you online, I'll open up a game and/or join yours.

Vena

Breaks way too many characters and their recoveries, and its never going to be tournie viable anyway.

Game is still way more defensive than I personally would like, I'd love some extra hitstun, only 1 air dodge, a lot less "get punished for hitting the opponent" moves like a lot of characters jab strings and some kind of reduced end lag on hit system.

I'd still change a lot about certain characters, 80% of characters seem to be railroaded into only having one option at most in any situation and it just gets old fast playing the same character over and over in this game when they don't have many options.
Too much needless nerfing to certain characters as well (Hello, Falco).

I think the only thing I agree on is hitstun or shield regen nerf, but not really the rest. :p

I guess I don't really get the idea of "get punished for hitting" as that will only happen if you attempt to approach without spacing from experience either here or the in local tournies, admittedly I am not in the best of form since my absence from competitive play since very late in Melee's life so it is possible I am completely missing something but even in the twitch tournies, its usually more aggro gameplay than not. Most characters have several options on approach that are hard to punish so long as the attacker is not predictable (likewise if the defender is not predictable).

This game feels like it needs multiple mains to overcome weaknesses/strengths in match-ups much moreso than past titles. Melee was too broken by the end of it for my liking of it how it all ended up, and PM isn't exactly immune to that with the Mewtwo craze and Pit, and the general powercreep.

MGrant

As an aside, has anyone tried playing with someone in Taiwan from the US? How's the lag? Gonna have to go back after New Year's and I hope I can still get good connections.

Boney

Banned
Great games dude. Your Shiek got a lot better!

GGs Boney! Your Samus is definitely one of the best I've seen.
Still have trouble landing ko's and keeping up the air game.

I should actually start reading about this game because I'm just improvising from playing lots of Brawl and a little Melee.

I'm still up for some 1 vs 1 if anyone wants to play

Nnid Boney64

As an aside, has anyone tried playing with someone in Taiwan from the US? How's the lag? Gonna have to go back after New Year's and I hope I can still get good connections.
I'm from Chile and most matches work out perfect. Of course it'll depend on your connection and speed.

I should actually start reading about this game because I'm just improvising from playing lots of Brawl and a little Melee.

Nnid Boney64
I'll play some games if you like. You can host.

JCX

Nnid Boney64

I'm from Chile and most matches work out perfect. Of course it'll depend on your connection and speed.

Just sent a request.

edit: beaten. Anyone else?

Nnid Boney64

Yeah, the reason I picked up Sheik is because in order to play her you have to learn how to more advanced techniques that what I was used to. I'm not sure how to play Samus, as she's not used very often, but even if you are justing winging it your Samus is already quite formidable.

Boney

Banned
Oh man you're really good!
Yeah, the reason I picked up Sheik is because in order to play her you have to learn how to more advanced techniques that what I was used to. I'm not sure how to play Samus, as she's not used very often, but even if you are justing winging it your Samus is already quite formidable.
Thanks! Hope to fight soon!

Anyone from bracket 4 of the ranbat that can play right now? I'm gonna be out of town for the rest of the week so my only chance to play is today.

heavy gravity is just awful lol

smooth landing is decent though

Boney

Banned
Oh man twice! Bummer you had that one in the bag!
We should play sometime! I'm chilean too. Connection should be good.
If love to!

Bwahaha suicide Ike!
Great matches dude you were really good, had a lot of trouble keeping up with you!

Oh man twice! Bummer you had that one in the bag!
If love to!

Bwahaha suicide Ike!
Great matches dude you were really good, had a lot of trouble keeping up with you!
GGs! Suicides all around, but fun. :p Always fun playing against Samus since I don't see too many people using her. It sucks that Samus has such a hard time killing. I would've of been frustrated if that was happening to me.

Asked this earlier, anyone know?

Is there any way to have the CPU automatically set to Lvl 9 all the time for when you play them in regular Smash battles? Really annoying having to set it manually every time.

Boney

Banned
GGs! Suicides all around, but fun. :p Always fun playing against Samus since I don't see too many people using her. It sucks that Samus has such a hard time killing. I would've of been frustrated if that was happening to me.
I really need to get better at off stage battle and gimping. Your Marth was really good at that!

emb

Hey,

euphemism,
FluxWaveZ,
Fury Sense,
Hyperhip,
Jagsrock,
jnWake,
jorgejjvr, or
Karsticles

Any of you around, and wanting to play a ranbat set in the next hour or so?

Anyone from Bracket 3 available tonight? Out Of Ammo didn't get back to me last night.

God, I miss Smash Run. Tour is awful, just awful.

I really wish the Wii U's unique mode was more ambitious. Maybe not to the extent of SSE, but I'd have been fine with them expanding on Melee's Adventure Mode.

Something that entirely focuses on the game's core fighting engine (such as Smash Run, which succeeds very well on that front imo) would have been ideal as opposed to a weird Mario Party knock-off. One of my only true disappointments.

Nabster92

Asked this earlier, anyone know?

Is there any way to have the CPU automatically set to Lvl 9 all the time for when you play them in regular Smash battles? Really annoying having to set it manually every time.

Don't think there is a way to default that. Closest alternative would probably be to get an Amiibo and play against that after leveling it up?

Top Bottom