• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

I don't understand this game. Aerials have been made so unsafe, and shields so strong that every approach is a crapshoot. You just short hop and roll around and hopefully you'll be able to get a grab or a dash attack but you have no idea why you were able to get a hit or why it was shielded. There's no logical back and forth like a fighting game, it's just two characters hopping around hoping they don't get blocked because no ground approaches are safe and only certain characters have safe air approaches.
I feel like 95% of your posts are complaining about the game. Are you sure you like playing it?

Beats

I don't understand this game. Aerials have been made so unsafe, and shields so strong that every approach is a crapshoot. You just short hop and roll around and hopefully you'll be able to get a grab or a dash attack but you have no idea why you were able to get a hit or why it was shielded. There's no logical back and forth like a fighting game, it's just two characters hopping around hoping they don't get blocked because no ground approaches are safe and only certain characters have safe air approaches.

It can make the neutral feel awkward a lot of the time. I guess that's why I like to play projectile heavy characters or characters with projectiles/safe aerials. Game's still enjoyable for me though, but it still bothers me sometimes how good shields/spotdodges are and how a lot of things are unsafe on block. :x

I feel like 95% of your posts are complaining about the game. Are you sure you like playing it?

I don't know. Everything is so unsafe, it makes the game feel incredibly awkward. Like they want you to play footsies in a game where there's no backwards walk. Doesn't feel like you have full control over your character like in the previous games, even including Brawl (disregarding tripping).

jnWake

I don't think shields are actually that strong. Many characters have good shield breaking moves. Issues with shields are that they regenerate way too fast and that it's way too easy to shieldgrab with many (if not most) characters. Worst part of it, for me, is that Yoshi has a terrible grab so his shield isn't that good.

SoldnerKei

Yeah. Bracket 3 has two matches left, and both players have PMed me.

JCX & I agreed on a time today, but I wasn't able to get home on time, so, if we don't get it done by sunday I wouldn't mind to give him the win, since he was here at the agreed hour, I still PM him to see if he is around, but I think it's like 2am right now on his side xD

Anyone up for some 1 on 1? NNID is H3XAntiStyle

you're still looking?

in case H3X is not available, anyone wanna 1vs1?

JCX & I agreed on a time today, but I wasn't able to get home on time, so, if we don't get it done by sunday I wouldn't mind to give him the win, since he was here at the agreed hour, I still PM him to see if he is around, but I think it's like 2am right now on his side xD

you're still looking?

Yeah, lemme set a room up.

you're still looking?

K, fair enough.

I don't know. Everything is so unsafe, it makes the game feel incredibly awkward. Like they want you to play footsies in a game where there's no backwards walk. Doesn't feel like you have full control over your character like in the previous games, even including Brawl (disregarding tripping).

The issues regarding this game are about how it's much more centered on playing a mental battle with your opponent than past Smash games because you have to commit to your options so much IMO. It's not for everyone, but you still have control of your character. You just gotta play around the limits unless you're forced into a really bad situation like being Ganondorf at 100% having to approach Kirby with a charged Giant Hammer on an Omega stage.

Or you let Airbender Kong take you to Battlefield.

Or you get grabbed by Diddy.

That kind of situation is bad.

Boney

Banned
I think the game is really built on the rock paper scissor dynamic of attacking, shielding and grabbing. movement both defensively and offensively is played out on the anticipation of these moves. I feel it works fine, as mentioned shield regeneration is too strong but there are options for dealing with shields, and as crq said, it's all about conditioning your opponents

I think the game is really built on the rock paper scissor dynamic of attacking, shielding and grabbing. movement both defensively and offensively is played out on the anticipation of these moves. I feel it works fine, as mentioned shield regeneration is too strong but there are options for dealing with shields, and as crq said, it's all about conditioning your opponents

Well shit we're playing DoA now. brb voting Hitomi for Smash #kappa

and Vena, I'll Marth ditto you one day because I've been playing around with him. I'll do the same with DQ and Palutena, even though I suck with her. :3

I don't like the fact that I just said that because I hate dittos, somebody save me from this hell

Vena

and Vena, I'll Marth ditto you one day because I've been playing around with him. I'll do the same with DQ and Palutena, even though I suck with her. :3

I don't like the fact that I just said that because I hate dittos, somebody save me from this hell

After teh patch!

Puruzi

Banned

I thought you hated Marf?

I prefer the sleepy toad custom over the regular one even though the timing is pretty strict.

Given that I absolutely cannot time for shit online, that doesn't help me. I can't even tech online, or powershield, all things very easy local!

I dunno but this umbrella must be defective now.

Okay, I need to figure out why it seems like every character in the game can just jab their way out of absolutely everything, but I can't do shit to get out of anything.

Is there any sort of breakdown on how all this shit works? It's incredibly hard to find tutorials that actually explain any of this stuff, it's all either "Use smash attacks to knock your foe out!" level stuff, or frame perfect shit. Nothing in between.

SoldnerKei

good games H3X, first time playing a peach here on gaf, it was a good experience! shame some of our games were pretty laggy, I need to get one of those adapters soon :c

good games H3X, first time playing a peach here on gaf, it was a good experience! shame some of our games were pretty laggy, I need to get one of those adapters soon :c

Any particular tips? I still have no idea how to respond to a good offense, nor how to crack a good defense. I'd really like to know your thoughts!

But yeah good games! First time I ever was featured as the victor with GAF haha.

SoldnerKei

Any particular tips? I still have no idea how to respond to a good offense, nor how to crack a good defense. I'd really like to know your thoughts!

But yeah good games! First time I ever was featured as the victor with GAF haha.

well, I don't really play peach, but since she has good movility in the air, I guess you want your opponent between you and the ledge, go for a gimp since I really doubt she has killing power, you can make use of her aerial options, since she can stay in the air you can pressure your opponent into doing a reckless recovery, like I said I don't play peach but that's one of the way I would use her xD

and you should play more gafers too, perhaps you had only played against the best ones xD your level is good enough to put a though fight here, keep it up!

well, I don't really play peach, but since she has good movility in the air, I guess you want your opponent between you and the ledge, go for a gimp since I really doubt she has killing power, you can make use of her aerial options, since she can stay in the air you can pressure your opponent into doing a reckless recovery, like I said I don't play peach but that's one of the way I would use her xD

and you should play more gafers too, perhaps you had only played against the best ones xD your level is good enough to put a though fight here, keep it up!

I dunno but every time I play against a GAF member, it's pretty much hilariously one sided. I actually felt like I could hit you!

That being said, I have been working on not dashing, and I am feeling a lot of beneficial effects.

SoldnerKei

Seems a little better with me hosting, but still not great.

yeah, seems better but still lag here and there, I don't mind it, I'd rather play you than playing FG xD
yup, I ordered one already(like 30 mins ago xD), just waiting for it to drop by, but I guess my internet has been super shitty this week, I usually have good connection with gafers D:

and you just stole my footstool plan :c

edit: ok, that doc match was pretty lame from my part xD let's try again, edit2: I guess you can go under smashville with custom bowser right? D:

Cronox

Banned
yeah, seems better but still lag here and there, I don't mind it, I'd rather play you than playing FG xD
yup, I ordered one already(like 30 mins ago xD), just waiting for it to drop by, but I guess my internet has been super shitty this week, I usually have good connection with gafers D:

and you just stole my footstool plan :c

edit: ok, that doc match was pretty lame from my part xD let's try again, edit2: I guess you can go under smashville with custom bowser right? D:

Well the first one was unintentional, then I thought maybe it was possible. Seems not.

edit: yeah while I'm sure Dr. Mario's up b custom hits hard or whatever, that character already has a terrible recovery... I'd rethink that setup.

SoldnerKei

Well the first one was unintentional, then I thought maybe it was possible. Seems not.

lol, well, it was worth trying

and that's one way to screw up my second jump twice a game lol
let's try out the competent mario heh

well it's getting late and getting laggy xD last one Cronox

Cronox

Banned
Yeah so I happen to be SD'ing a lot tonight, but that last one is only because Bowser is an asshole. Any other character would have grabbed that Halberd ledge.

Good games, you managed to find the bad Bowser matchups - Link, and Mario to a lesser extent.

SoldnerKei

Yeah so I happen to be SD'ing a lot tonight, but that last one is only because Bowser is an asshole. Any other character would have grabbed that Halberd ledge.

yeah, but I know those SD were mostly because of the lag

nevertheless, it was great to play your bowser, I used some characters that I casually play with and it was a huge mistake, like doc lol, bowser is pretty scary with that sideb glide, hopefully next time I play you I'll have the adapter, had lots of fun, GGs Cronox!

edit: haha well, Link is my main so I had to use him, but Mario was more for the lulz, because Mario vs Bowser, forever rivals and stuff :'D

Top Bottom