• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Marth benefits from playing carefully and going for the tips for extra damage, knockback and shield pressure while Lucina can be an agressive "on your face" character thanks to the consistent damage.
If anything, Lucina has to play super careful because unlike Marth none of her moves are even remotely safe on shield. Only thing she has over Marth is that her perfect pivot up tilt makes her slide. lol

Lucina is basically just a costume for Marth, albeit with some slight customizations (like the sword's damage), and some minor height differences iirc.

Haven't noticed any major differences in playstyle myself.

Jobbs

Banned
Lucina is basically just a costume for Marth, albeit with some slight customizations (like the sword's damage), and some minor height differences iirc.

Haven't noticed any major differences in playstyle myself.

from what I understand lucina's damage is the same from any range, whereas marth's isn't. that's what I'm told, anyway.

Boney

Banned
Sooooo whats the point of Lucina being in this game.....from what I've played and what my cousin tells me Marth is superior in every way. Dat crit advantage is just too good to give up.
It was an incredibly easy addition to make as she shares all of Marth's animations and they only had to change the attack formula slightly to compensate for the no extra tip damage.
Not to mention Awakening's popularity and Chrom being shoved to the side for being a boring addition.

Hmmm so reverse eather doesn't grab the ledge. I still have to learn a lot about Ike :p
I think this is less indicative of Ike and more Smash4's physics.

Urgh, Zelda's Up B is real pain in the arse if there's a bit of lag.

Also, someone confirm to me that Zelda is a terrible match up for Ness and make me feel better about myself. She's got great moves to nullify his B specials, and really difficult to get close for the grab and normal attacks because of Nayru's Love. What's a Ness got to do against someone who's using Zelda in a very defensive way? Zelda just seems like a really damn good character in this game.
It might be more that Zelda is a difficult character and some people are really good with Ness.

Random thoughts:

Single Player Content has felt really lacking. 'Classic' Mode blows. The Crazy Hand / Master Hand feel like they're ripped from mobile / MMO design for 'daily quests'. The challenges are AWESOME, but I ripped through them in like an hour. No more? Come on! The home run derby / angry-bird target stuff is boring (I don't mind they're there, but they aren't fun.

The core gameplay is fun and I enjoy the new characters, particulalry mega-man, pac-man, and Little Mac. But the environments sort of ruin it. There is WAY too much going on in almost every stage and there is very little tell when a stage transformation is about to occur. I almost want to autoquit when certain stages are selected.

I haven't tried 8 player cause I don't have the adapter yet, even though I have the controllers. I'm considering picking it up or trading in the game for Captain Toad.
I'm guessing you mean events there. In that case, have you looked at the co-op events? They're different.

I fucking hate All-Star because of the stupid random stages
That's a problem with Classic as well.

from what I understand lucina's damage is the same from any range, whereas marth's isn't. that's what I'm told, anyway.
I think Wolf's point is that that doesn't affect playstyle much.

I think Wolf's point is that that doesn't affect playstyle much.

Yepp.

Also iirc Sakurai said that the reason why Lucina wasn't just a costume to Marth (like Bowser Jr., Olimar/Alph, Villager etc.) is because Lucina and Marth have different heights/properties (same time as he mentioned that the other characters with costumes that are different characters/genders have the exact same properties). This was in some Nintendo Direct, I believe. At the time I don't think he even mentioned the sword thingie, so that might even have been something they decided later. I could be wrong about all of this though. Whatever the case, I just don't see it as any major difference. It's just like a Marth with some customization on. I feel this way about most clones, but Lucina in particular.

Does anyone know what's going on with the adaptors? Is Nintendo going to get off their butts and make more available to consumers? I refuse to pay some jerk scalper who cleaned out best buy $80.

Does anyone know what's going on with the adaptors? Is Nintendo going to get off their butts and make more available to consumers? I refuse to pay some jerk scalper who cleaned out best buy $80.

Some third party manufacturer announced they would be making adapters for gc controllers. No idea when they will be ready though

Whatever happened to this? I can't find it in the game. :(

d9J0Td7.jpg

Yepp.

Also iirc Sakurai said that the reason why Lucina wasn't just a costume to Marth (like Bowser Jr., Olimar/Alph, Villager etc.) is because Lucina and Marth have different heights/properties (same time as he mentioned that the other characters with costumes that are different characters/genders have the exact same properties). This was in some Nintendo Direct, I believe. At the time I don't think he even mentioned the sword thingie, so that might even have been something they decided later. I could be wrong about all of this though. Whatever the case, I just don't see it as any major difference. It's just like a Marth with some customization on. I feel this way about most clones, but Lucina in particular.
I think it was mentioned early on...

Some third party manufacturer announced they would be making adapters for gc controllers. No idea when they will be ready though
I vaguely recall 2 months?

Whatever happened to this? I can't find it in the game. :(

d9J0Td7.jpg
View a display case by viewing a trophy and pressing X (On most controller types). Doesn't work with every trophy.

Yeah, it's weird how the display cases are buried in the menu like that. I imagine a lot of "casual" gamers don't even know it exists. It should just have it's own place in the menu just like Trophy Hoard does.

Marth benefits from playing carefully and going for the tips for extra damage, knockback and shield pressure while Lucina can be an agressive "on your face" character thanks to the consistent damage.

Lucina can't be more aggressive than Marth. She has to play the same way as him or else she'll be shield grabbed/punished pretty easily.

I know Lucina is a worse version of Marth but I hate Marth's design and voice. Lucina looks cool (she's the first female design I've ever liked in Smash) so I use her despite the disadvantage.

Anyone come across an issue where if you are playing with a Cube pad, you go to a single player mode and then it auto chooses Player 1 as the Wii U Game Pad? Meaning you have to go grab the Wii U Game Pad to back out as the Cube pad is no longer functional.

Can't seem to find a work around for this... any ideas?

Anyone come across an issue where if you are playing with a Cube pad, you go to a single player mode and then it auto chooses Player 1 as the Wii U Game Pad? Meaning you have to go grab the Wii U Game Pad to back out as the Cube pad is no longer functional.

Nope. You sure your gamecube controller is in port 1?

Use the controller you want to use as first first?

Then the controller you want to use as second second?

etc

It was an incredibly easy addition to make as she shares all of Marth's animations and they only had to change the attack formula slightly to compensate for the no extra tip damage.
Not to mention Awakening's popularity and Chrom being shoved to the side for being a boring addition.

How disappointing.....should of had my boy Roy instead of some wannabe Marth.

But Roy is already in the game.

Roy fans are the absolute WORST. 99% of them haven’t even played the game he’s from. Other than the fact that he was in Melee, what redeeming qualities does he bring to the franchise that other characters don't? We don't need another sword wielding male Fire Emblem character, and thankfully Sakurai agrees.

Vena

But he was a wanna-be Marth too...

He's a far less popular character than Lucina, and Lucina has a pretty good reason to be there even if just as a Marth clone for Robin (which is also another fan favorite thing).

Now, I do think that Lucina's special should have been based on FE:A with her gaining Rightful King, Aether, Luna, and Counter, that'd have been cool.

random25

Played back after taking a break during the holidays. Took me a few matches before I got my game back. As if I'm really that good lol.

I'm pretty surprised I'm getting more Japanese players this time around. And they do love their Sheik and Diddy lol.

Vena

Played back after taking a break during the holidays. Took me a few matches before I got my game back. As if I'm really that good lol.

I'm pretty surprised I'm getting more Japanese players this time around. And they do love their Sheik and Diddy lol.

Diddy is becoming a big For Glory plauge, lol. We should all just sandbag our matches so that Sakurai notices. :p

NEO0MJ

Roy fans are the absolute WORST. 99% of them haven’t even played the game he’s from. Other than the fact that he was in Melee, what redeeming qualities does he bring to the franchise that other characters don't? We don't need another sword wielding male Fire Emblem character, and thankfully Sakurai agrees.

But Roy's our boy :(

For a more serious answer, I guess I got attached to him to Melee and his underdog state.

random25

Diddy is becoming a big For Glory plauge, lol. We should all just sandbag our matches so that Sakurai notices. :p

It's not that bad lol. The ones that used Diddy are really pro-level great. As in not just go grab, dthrow then uair. They really mix it up with banana snipe to fsmash, karate kicks or face humping (lol), or even use barrel rockets to mess your edge guarding.

Though they do like to do the dthrow to uair as finishers lol.

But he was a wanna-be Marth too...

He's a far less popular character than Lucina, and Lucina has a pretty good reason to be there even if just as a Marth clone for Robin (which is also another fan favorite thing).

Now, I do think that Lucina's special should have been based on FE:A with her gaining Rightful King, Aether, Luna, and Counter, that'd have been cool.

Or maybe Marth was a wannabe Roy......

They should of tried to make her moveset differ from Marth's a bit more.

But Roy is already in the game.

ROYS OUR BOY

Vena

It's not that bad lol. The ones that used Diddy are really pro-level great. As in not just go grab, dthrow then uair. They really mix it up with banana snipe to fsmash, karate kicks or face humping (lol), or even use barrel rockets to mess your edge guarding.

Though they do like to do the dthrow to uair as finishers lol.

lol I don't particularly care about Diddy. But he did win every tournie last night so...

BAN! NERF!

diddy is kinda disgusting because he is so solidly strong in every aspect of his game. unless patches come, i can't see him being knocked from the top 5. i've got to say though, the game seems incredibly well balanced. it's an incredible feat when you look at how many characters there are and just how varied their moves and playstyles are.

which characters do you guys feel are the strongest and weakest? this is only from my experience in for glory mode.

i think ZSS, diddy, captain falcon, pikachu, ness, lucario will all be standing tall regardless of how the meta shifts. none of them have significant negative match ups in my opinion.

yoshi, rosalina, sonic, little mac, sheik, villager, robin are all good too.

the only terribad character i see so far is dr mario and maybe wii fit trainer.

What I find interesting about Roy is that he was placed in Smash before his actual game came out. Isn't that a case where most people would say he didn't deserve to be in the game because he wasn't "known" or an all-star?

Vena

diddy is kinda disgusting because he is so solidly strong in every aspect of his game. unless patches come, i can't see him being knocked from the top 5. i've got to say though, the game seems incredibly well balanced. it's an incredible feat when you look at how many characters there are and just how varied their moves and playstyles are.

He gets bodied by Olimar (can't approach, Pikmin eat up the bananas, and the purple will kill him at low%), and I honestly think Luigi has a better game against him than the other way around.

Diddy's biggest weakness is his predictability in how his kills are earned, and his vulnerable recovery. If players can adapt to it as they get better with their DIs, approaches, and simple mind-games or off-stage games, I think he'll be less of an all around powerhouse than the other tops.

Nabster92

I've actually been seeing nothing but Rosalinas and ROBs for a while now. Haven't come across a Diddy except maybe once or twice.

I very rarely get matched in a Rosalina ditto. Wonder if they try to avoid that based on most played characters of each person or something. Would be kinda dumb if so. Dittos are awesome when I get someone who eventually changes to Falcon and then we start doing Falcon dittos.

Also, I've started to get some periods of time where I get matched against Japanese players. It happened all the time on 3DS when I was actually there visiting Japan. Didn't think it would happen here as well. They seem to do the same thing they did there where they see my screen name in English and either assume it would lag or they just don't wanna play a non Japanese player or something, and they just leave immediately before it starts. Then eventually someone won't care enough and sticks around.

The ones that stay typically aren't bad either, but I wonder if the ones that are leaving are the more serious players and would be even better.

All you people who haven't done so yet, get your ranbats in before Karsticles wakes up! I don't wanna see anyone get kicked out. '~'

So uh, does anyone here play Luigi? He looks really fun to play, and Boss makes him look like a top tier, so I'd like to pick him up. :)

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
But you already played against me so you should still have a grace period untill next week for your second match. Be sure to record your matches on the spreadsheet though.
Grace period? Last time I checked we had until the 28th of December for the first one and today for the second one.

Did I miss something Karsticles?

Top Bottom