• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U |OT2| Only Game Where You Can Beat Up The Duck Hunt Dog

Nabster92

I barely played Smash after the N64 one but I'm loving this game and really want to learn it better. Obviously I'm not looking to suddenly be a pro, but if I could at least understand the things discussed in this thread that all sounds like jargon I'd be a lot better off. All this talk of edge play and combos working at percentages and all that feels overwhelming.

Is there a good resource that can take me from relative noob to at least having an understanding of these concepts? Text, video, doesn't matter. I've checked out some video series Kotakub featured a few weeks ago, but even that didn't really help me grasp the shield and all the dodge and such available.

Thanks GAF. Loving this game.

Not sure what the videos were that you already saw, but here's some basic ones to make sure you know a bunch of things you actually can do with some tips about doing them thrown in here and there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPMHyD_6uCA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUi_MvJ6nj8

Then here's another more higher level conceptual video about the neutral game that may help you out a bit too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYWXCTKKDV0

Other than that you should check out some tournament matches involving characters that you use

Yo Bracket 2 people, I'm also available to play for the next couple hours here.

If euphemism shows up at any point tonight, he gets priority. Seems like every time we're about to finish our set, something happens and I can't play the rest of the day lol. I don't wanna be partly responsible for getting him banned from ranbats D:

I'm around now if you wanna do our match.

jorgejjvr

Ggs esque, sorry I'm a bit out of practice with my Mac, fist time I've played in weeks ever since the vacation, great games tho, fun to get back at it :D zelda was a nice counter for rob

Unfortunately I have to go now!

Esque7

Ggs esque, sorry I'm a bit out of practice with my Mac, fist time I've played in weeks ever since the vacation, great games tho, fun to get back at it :D zelda was a nice counter for rob
Yeah great games, I've never used little mac so I really have no idea how he works, but yours was great! I'm trying to learn some new characters obviously lol, so I wasn't really too good. Samus and Ganon are my current mains.

jorgejjvr

Yeah great games, I've never used little mac so I really have no idea how he works, but yours was great! I'm trying to learn some new characters obviously lol, so I wasn't really too good. Samus and Ganon are my current mains.
Ahhh okay, shame I couldn't get to play them! What did you think of my rob, been also working on him

Gurrry

wow so my wiiu gamepad contoller cable has a short in it... it wont work at all now

fuckkkk

is there any other way to charge this thing other than with that cable?

Tripon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CFvi416D7g&list=UUIzXDPSNsmlPgsUff3-JwJA&index=1

Fact or Fiction?
wtzgU.gif

Esque7

Ahhh okay, shame I couldn't get to play them! What did you think of my rob, been also working on him
He was great! Really hard to approach him with all the projectiles. I'll try to get better on my side for next time. Really only played a few days and still in Brawl mode lol.

SalvaPot

Puff, that was close until the end, the lag was a shame but those where some fun games, thanks, are you going to report them?

Jagsrock

Banned
Whew 5-4 me. Nice intense matches dude dispite some of the lag haha. Your Yoshi can be mean :) I can try but for some reason its not letting me edit the scores.

SalvaPot

Whew 5-4 me. Nice intense matches dude dispite some of the lag haha. Your Yoshi can be mean :) h

Hehe, yes he is, picked him up two weeks ago and now I´m training him all I can, I want to make him my main, I think its my best pic right now.

Anyone else from Bracket 2 who wants to play?

Edit: Huh, same here, it doesn´t let me edit our scores, weird.

Jagsrock

Banned
Hehe, yes he is, picked him up two weeks ago and now I´m training him all I can, I want to make him my main, I think its my best pic right now.

That's good! He's definitely fun to use and probably has one of the most satisfying spikes too haha.

So its still not letting me edit it, but I made a comment to note the matches, if someone else could add it in that would be cool.

SalvaPot

That's good! He's definitely fun to use and probably has one of the most satisfying spikes too haha.

So its still not letting me edit it, but I made a comment to note the matches, if someone else could add it in that would be cool.

Same problem, maybe is my email? Dunno xD.

Anyway, anyone from bracket 2 who wants to play?

Falawful

GGs, Nabster! Our ranbats were pretty close overall (except that last one lol, holy crap was that embarrassing) and I am ALWAYS up for Falcon dittos. Hit me up if you wanna do more of those in the future. Again really fun games, great Rosa.

Edit: Huh, same here, it doesn´t let me edit our scores, weird.

I'm ready to go for ranbats.

SalvaPot

GGs, Nabster! Our ranbats were pretty close overall (except that last one lol, holy crap was that embarrassing) and I am ALWAYS up for Falcon dittos. Hit me up if you wanna do more of those in the future. Again really fun games, great Rosa.

Lets do this My username is SalvaPot.

Nabster92

GGs Falawful!. Yea Falcon dittos are awesome. That offstage falcon punch was definitely worth not even bothering trying to come back from it.

Not sure if I'll still be free when you and Salva finish you matches, but if I'm still here I'll try to play him as well.

Edit: Nvm. Gonna go to sleep now. I'll catch you some other time Salva.

Falawful

GGs, Salva. Nice Yoshi. Normally I'd stick around for friendlies but I think Nabster is waiting to do his matches with you. Til next time man.

Anyone else from Bracket 2, or just general 1v1?

SalvaPot

GGs, Salva. Nice Yoshi. Normally I'd stick around for friendlies but I think Nabster is waiting to do his matches with you. Til next time man.

Anyone else from Bracket 2, or just general 1v1?

Well, that was a monumental asskicking you just gave me! Thank you, I learned a lot! Hopefully next time I give a better challenge xD

Anyone else on bracket 2 waiting? I can play some more.

GGs Falawful!. Yea Falcon dittos are awesome. That offstage falcon punch was definitely worth not even bothering trying to come back from it.

Not sure if I'll still be free when you and Salva finish you matches, but if I'm still here I'll try to play him as well.

Edit: Nvm. Gonna go to sleep now. I'll catch you some other time Salva.

Next time it is then.

Turok_TTZ

winning with zelda in for fun though not using items bar 1 final smash which hit only one player... feels good man.

whats the ideal internet connection for smash? i used wifi for a few matches and i got some crazy lag. then i switched to my lan adapter and though there was an improvement there were where everything went to a slow crawl.

what the... I've been training @ 9 this whole time, am i doing it wrong?

Training with high-level cpus really doesn't have a lot of benefit beyond teaching you to avoid elementary mistakes due to how the computer has inhuman reaction time. In fact, you're more likely to have your bad habits encouraged by playing high-level cpu because they don't act like normal human players would. Cpu players act in patterns, and I've shown my younger brother and cousins how easy it is to exploit these patterns for easy kills many times.

The reason I suggested low-level cpu is because I consider the cpu to be more like punching bags than anything else, tools to test tech or to see if you have a true combo on your hands or something like that. It's not about beating the cpu, but improving your skillset using the cpu as a training dummy.

Falawful

Last game for me

GGs, Tipster! Had alot of fun, some hilarious moments in there too. We should do some Megaman dittos in the future.

Last game for me

GGs, Tipster! Had alot of fun, some hilarious moments in there too. We should do some Megaman dittos in the future.

No probs. Thanks for playing!

You're as good as I remember, haha. Both your Cap and Yoshi are beast mode. Which do you main?

We'll have to play more later!

MM dittos are pretty rough, haha, but I'm totally game.

Falawful

No probs. Thanks for playing!

You're as good as I remember, haha. Both your Cap and Yoshi are beast mode. Which do you main?

We'll have to play more later!

MM dittos are pretty rough, haha, but I'm totally game.

Cap and Yoshi are my two mains, lol. MM is a solid secondary for me, and I'm trying to do the same with Kirby and maybe Dedede. Those two I'm still trying to get some fundamentals down for, though, as you could probably tell. I held my own besides the SDs though, heh. My end goal is to be competent to good with the majority of the cast, which is why I like to go random in friendlies.

And yeah, MM dittos are kinda weird, but I still like em for whatever reason *shrug*

Spineker

Banned
I don't know when the fuck the right time is to transition to online because right now, I'm getting nothing but Japanese players and I'm getting destroyed. It isn't fun.

I don't know when the fuck the right time is to transition to online because right now, I'm getting nothing but Japanese players and I'm getting destroyed. It isn't fun.

Yeah, around this time is when the JPN players are awake, and they tend to be on the extremes of good and awful. Try playing earlier in the day (if possible) to get some US players, or ask someone in the thread for some games.

Top Bottom