• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it sounds stupid. But I can never be 100% sure with these things. Maybe Sakurai played Braverly Default and really, really, liked it? :p

Can anyone find that render anywhere? And the characters not in the e3 demo, do they look photoshopped? It looks real to me, but I don't see mistakes as easily as other people. I don't really believe it, but you can never tell what will be added to a Smash Bros. game...

I just think it looks too much like fake CSSs we've seen before.

That fake CSS doesn't even have the entire starting roster on it. Unless for some reason characters like Olimar are going to be unlockable on WiiU but unlocked from the start on 3DS, which would be really weird, this is BS.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
If it happens it won't be announced until November
Not necessarily. While an announcement like that is most likely for a Nintendo Direct, it could happen as soon as October 30 and Nintendo's Second Quarter Financial Results Briefing (for FY 2014).

What I think would be best is for a demo to be released internationally on November 21, and that it can be used to play online against players from all regions. That way EU and Japan doesn't have to feel left out. Or maybe it doesn't have to be a demo, it could be called Super Smash Bros. Lite for Wii U, be available for free and feature the following:

Characters

• Donkey Kong
  • Mario
  • Pikachu
  • Yoshi
Stages

• Battlefield
  • Final Destination
Modes

• Training mode

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Rösti;133880423 said:
Not necessarily. While an announcement like that is most likely for a Nintendo Direct, it could happen as soon as October 30 and Nintendo's Second Quarter Financial Results Briefing (for FY 2014).

What I think would be best is for a demo to be released internationally on November 21, and that it can be used to play online against players from all regions. That way EU and Japan doesn't have to feel left out. Or maybe it doesn't have to be a demo, it could be called Super Smash Bros. Lite for Wii U, be available for free and feature the following:

Characters

• Donkey Kong
  • Mario
  • Pikachu
  • Yoshi
Stages

• Battlefield
  • Final Destination
Modes

• Training mode

I'm pretty sure that they would included newcomers to sell the game, like 3DS did with Mega Man and Villager.

Golnei

I don't mean to be ignorant, but why are people dismissing the Tower of Smash leak?
Just too good to be true?

Not all of the stages line up; especially when internal data is taken into account.

f1dPegm.jpg

The Great Cave Offensive stage in particular was probably what caused it to be debunked in the eyes of most.

Mega Man is now in Monster Hunter 4.

If a Monster Hunter can't make it into Smash Bros. then I guess Smash Bros. will make it into Monster Hunter. We've had Fire Emblem, Mario, Metroid, Animal Crossing, Zelda, and Sonic material in the games already - let's see if every series repped in Smash can make it in too.
I would honesly expect a MH character if the creator didn't already say that he didn't want MH in a fighting game. Hopefully he changes his mind for Smash 4 Would make a great character, if not maybe atleast a stage.

And what FE stuff is in MH? I missed that announcement.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I would honesly expect a MH character if the creator didn't already say that he didn't want MH in a fighting game. Hopefully he changes his mind for Smash 4 Would make a great character, if not maybe atleast a stage.

Oh man, so Monster Hunter rep. for Smash 5 (or DLC) then?

From last year, in Monster Hunter Frontier G.
Oh man, so Monster Hunter rep. for Smash 5 (or DLC) then?
I'm cautiously putting it on my list for the next Smash game, since it seems possible but the creator didn't want a Monster Hunter in Marvel vs. Capcom.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
If it were to be a SE representative, I would think someone from FF or DQ would be chosen.

And probably someone "generic" and not specifically from any game, like Slime, Chocobo, Moogle, or a generic-class like Black Mage.

Personally the Warrior of Light (the FF1 Knight) would be neat.

Zubz

Banned
So, I didn't see this "leak" mentioned, it was posted on Know Your Meme the other day by a guy named SomeoneSleeping who insists Agnes from Bravely Default will be a special character but keeps assuring people he's VERY SKEPTICAL of his friend.

Even the guy himself points out it looks like an existing render of the character. He says he's super skeptical, but he sounds just like any other leaker that's just trying a new way to stand out.

The thing is, I could've sworn I heard about a playable Agnes that played kinda like Robin rumor before. And transforming during moves? Sounds super unlikely with what Sakurai was saying about system limitations. I'll be honest and say I wish it were true though, for a Square Enix rep, it's not a totally outlandish choice imho.

Page with his posts in the comments here:
http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/844889-super-smash-brothers

Hey, it's a better fake than the Smash World one. Granted, that's not that hard...

Pizza

I'd much rather see Terry from DQM summoning iconic DQ monsters as his attacks as the SQEnix rep over agnes. He could even have a megaman esque final that incorporates other DQ characters. But seeing as only one of those two franchises even exist in the west anymore i wouldnt be surprised.

JCX

Got a chance to play this today during the Smash Bros college tour

- using a GameCube controller again felt so natural.
- Pilotwings stage is pretty fun, I like it more than a lot of the 3DS stages
- didn't notice any control differences, just felt good playing without my hands cramping up like on 3DS

It was in the middle of a U of M tailgate, so there weren't too many people playing. They had two big HDTVs with Wii U and a few 3DS stations.

Very ready for Nov. 21st now.

I'd imagine any SE rep would be in a similar vein as the ones in the SE Mario sports games, those being FF1 characters (plus mascots like Moogle and Cactuar) or DQ characters.

Golnei

Warrior of Light would be good. Slime and Moogle would be boring imo.

Warrior of Light in his Dissidia / Amano incarnation would be far less interesting than a mascot - he's nowhere near as iconic as the regular FF1 classes, and his sword+shield moveset wouldn't be terribly distinctive, even accounting for the Fang items and light magic. If a human FF character / party were to make it in, I'd hope for them to be based around the job system as a whole.

Hatchtag

Banned
And probably someone "generic" and not specifically from any game, like Slime, Chocobo, Moogle, or a generic-class like Black Mage.

Rocket Slime might have a decent chance. Not a generic slime, but shares his look with one. Since he has his own (excellent) games, he has a large potential move pool, but he also reps the DQ series as a whole by looking like a generic slime.

When was the Smash World rumor made and what is it? There's an announcer voice clip saying "Smash World" so I'm assuming it was made after the discovery of the clip. Also, Sora >>>>>>>>>> any other possible SE rep.

EDIT: Found it.

Sora belongs to Disney and if Disney okayed one if their characters it should be WreckIt Ralph.

I really don't think Agnes is that much of a stretch. Bravely Default is very popular and Agnes is the most prominent character in the bunch (promotional artwork and such) and she's prominently featured in the sequel.

It's just the whole transforming into other Jobs as a moveset that raises a HUGE red flag to me. There's just no way after Sakurai JUST said transforming characters proved troublesome for 3DS development. Even in Brawl going from Sheik to Zelda and vice versa there's significant delay as the game loads the model, there's no way a character transforming into other outfits would work smoothly.

Son Of D

Warrior of Light would be best if you ask me. He can represent the franchise as a whole as opposed to someone like Cecil or Terra who would only really represent their respective game.

I also made a moveset for Warrior of Light as well.

Here's Entry #4 in my series of how I feel Smash "5" is looking and where the franchise is headed, character-wise...

This time, I'll be covering Wario
Ah, I somehow missed this yesterday.

Anyway, I think that out of all the series currently in Smash, WarioWare has the most newcomer potential at this point. I feel like Mona, Jimmy T, and Ashley all seem popular enough and have enough prominence in the series to be added to Smash.

Mona's issue is that she hasn't had a consistent identity in the WarioWare series, as she's always changing jobs (a problem that may be plaguing K. Rool as well, but his boxer appearance from the final boss fight of 64 could be added as a Mac clone lol). But Mona is also one of the biggest characters in WarioWare, so that may not count against her, and she could be used as an opportunity to showcase many different alts, like Bowser Jr.

Jimmy T is an interesting guy and could incorporate a dancing based moveset. But as you mentioned, there's obviously some interest by Sakurai in adding a Rhythm Heaven character that would probably have a rhythm based moveset. Would that interfere with Jimmy T's chances? It's hard to say.

Then there's Ashley, and while she came into the picture shortly after Mona and Jimmy T, she sure seems popular. She was an AT in this installment, and although we know that AT's can "graduate" to playable characters like Mac, it's hard to know what Sakurai thinks of her. I know we had that image floating around of the internet having meltdowns when she was shown as just an AT, but I wonder if the Japanese fanbase felt the same way? I wonder if anyone could verify that? But anyway, I guess it would be interesting if she was on her broomstick, adding a second "vehicle" based character after Bowser Jr. And that would also add the potential for Kamek being added as a clone of her (or the other way around), but Sakurai has seemed averse to making clones of the more high concept characters.

Finally, 9-Volt. In a series that exists to represent Nintendo's history, where does a character that exists to represent Nintendo's history fit in? In a way, even though he would seem to be a perfect fit for the game, he also feels a bit redundant. I think an interesting possibility for him would be too just open up his moveset completely and allow him to use every special move in the game through custom movesets. Balancing that seems like more trouble than it's worth, but it would be cool to see in action, a mix and match of different characters' moves just like 9-Volt's levels are a mix and match of different pieces of Nintendo history.

And I guess that's all I have to say about WarioWare! I'd really like to see more representation of that series in the next game.

bravely default will never be in smash.......
Didn't you read the leak? It says Agnes from Bravely Default is in, not the game itself. Now that would be downright stupid since I'm sure SQ wants to sell the game. Why would anyone buy BD if they get it for free when they purchase Smash 4?
:p

Zubz

Banned
You know, the more I think about it, the more I really want there to be, like, a free DLC that upgrades Alph from alt to clone. I know it won't happen because those without the DLC definitely couldn't play with those who have it thanks to Alph being entirely different in each game, and even if a required update can fix that, it seems like too much effort for a less-popular character, but honestly, I might've had the reaction that 20% of you had to Lucina over him. Just alter his stats a bit, maybe his moves (Rock Pikmin instead of Purples, maybe Winged Pikmin instead of Whites, make Rock and White/Winged Pikmin the first two he plucks, then blue, yellow, red, etc.), and since the model's already done, just add some vocalizations and maybe some differentiated animations because, again, Alph just seems weird being silent and copying Olimar.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I really want there to be, like, a free DLC that upgrades Alph from alt to clone. I know it won't happen because those without the DLC definitely couldn't play with those who have it thanks to Alph being entirely different in each game, and even if a required update can fix that, it seems like too much effort for a less-popular character, but honestly, I might've had the reaction that 20% of you had to Lucina over him. Just alter his stats a bit, maybe his moves (Rock Pikmin instead of Purples, maybe Winged Pikmin instead of Whites, make Rock and White/Winged Pikmin the first two he plucks, then blue, yellow, red, etc.), and since the model's already done, just add some vocalizations and maybe some differentiated animations because, again, Alph just seems weird being silent and copying Olimar.

As much as I would love this, I don't think they'll do it. The way I would do it:
Alter stats, remove White/Purple Pikmin, add Rock Pikmin (more powerful than Purple but spawn only 1/10 of the time), and make the Winged Pikmin a bit more powerful (like Dark Pit's version of Pit's up-special).

Probably the last time I do this, but a sort of prediction image regarding Wii U stages:

lIdTsjj.png

Left to right, unconfirmed denoted by asterisk--

Battlefield
Final Destination
Mario Galaxy
Mushroom Kingdom U
Luigi Circuit*
Bowser's Castle*

Rainbow Cruise (Melee)*
Nep-Enut's Domain*
Wonky Waterway*
Skyloft
Pirate Ship HD*
Temple (Melee)*

Pyrosphere
Frigate Orpheon (Brawl)*
Great Cave Offensive
Halberd (Brawl)
Orbital Gate
Lylat Cruise (Brawl)*

Royal Unova*
Kalos Pokemon League
Pokemon Stadium 2 (Brawl)*
Port Town Aero Dive (Brawl)*
Coliseum
Castle Siege (Brawl)

Onett (Melee)
Palutena's Temple
Gamer
Garden of Hope
Town & City
Smashville (Brawl)

Wii Sports Resort*
Pilotwings
Wii Fit Studio
Boxing Ring
Gaur Plain

Flat Zone 3*
75m (Brawl)*
Wrecking Crew*
Miiverse*

Windy Hill
Wily Castle
Pac-Land

Seeing them together like this I'm starting to doubt that past stages will be mixed in together with the new stages in the Wii U version like they are in the 3DS version, if only because Town & City sitting right next to Smashville looks absurd. But whatever.

Some quick thoughts on the unconfirmed ones I used:

Luigi Circuit: No way are we done with Mario stages, and Mario Kart is such a big part of Mario nowadays that I don't see it getting skipped up. Mario Kart Wii especially was such a huge game that I think a stage from it is a given, and I anticipate the Wii U version getting a more "regular" Mario Kart type stage to contrast Rainbow Road in the 3DS version.

Bowser's Castle: This is intended to be a retro Mushroom Kingdom esque stage. It seems like an unwritten rule that ever Smash has to have a stage based on the original Super Mario Bros., explaining Mushroomy Kingdom in the 3DS version. Struggled to come up with a type of stage that hasn't been done before though, so maybe they could do a castle type stage? I dunno.

Rainbow Cruise: If only because its music is available in the 3DS version for Smash Run. I dunno.

Nep-Enut's Domain: Probably would just be called Yoshi's Island if we want to be honest. I don't have much thought here other than I think the Nep-Enut (big blue guy) is pretty emblematic of Yoshi's Island and while I think there will be a new Yoshi stage in the Wii U version I have hard time thinking of what it could be.

Wonky Waterway: The big sprawling background jungle vistas I think are DKCR's most well known visual feature, and the temple with the retro Donkey Kong statue may be the most iconic. Seems like a likely choice to me even, but what do I know.

Pirate Ship HD: I was thinking along the lines of "Pirate Ship 2," just used a picture from TWWHD to help visualize it. I'm thinking same basic layout as Pirate Ship from Brawl, but with The Wind Waker HD's visual look to it and with new hazards.

Temple: It's music is in the 3DS version for Smash Run and it's just too popular to be left out I think. The quintessential Melee stage in the eyes of many.

Frigate Orpheon: Just thinking they may choose to throw the Prime games a stage bone with a past stage at best.

Lylat Cruise: The voice credits for the Star Fox codec calls from this stage are in the 3DS version, and I'm thinking it has something to do with being able to use the 3DS as a controller for the Wii U version.

Royal Unova: I was thinking maybe a second new Pokemon stage could be a city from Black & White, to contrast the 3DS's version--a city for one generation, a league for another. The Royal Unova could sail around the city like it does, under the bridge, offering views of Castelia city at night and whatever.

Pokemon Stadium 2: I'm anticipating that most veteran franchises will get past stages, especially the bigger ones, and Spear Pillar is out of the question due to Palkia being a Poke Ball Pokemon. Maybe this could be the original Melee Pokemon Stadium instead. Not married to the idea.

Port Town Aero Dive: It's unfortunate, but I'm thinking Magicant and Mute City are 3DS exclusive and that Mother and F-Zero are the odd ones out in the Wii U version in terms of stage representation. Port Town would be the best representative for F-Zero then.

Wii Sports Resort: I dunno what to call it, but set on the platform where swordplay duels are set. Wii Sports Resort is one of the unaccounted for franchises listed in the 3DS version's data (which also includes the Wii U exclusive Pilotwings), so there's probably a stage from it (assuming it wasn't cut), but it does seem odd to have two stages set on Wuhu Island. Though maybe that's in character for Wuhu Island?

Flat Zone 3: Just used Greenhouse to represent it because I got the idea from the Tower of Smash bs. I think a new Game & Watch stage is essentially guaranteed due to it lacking one in the 3DS version (and I don't see there being zero new G&W stages between both versions), so Flat Zone 3 seems likely...

75m: I don't like this stage at all, but I think it may be that retro representation is more important than whatever Rumble Falls is, though I guess Rumble Falls' Stickerbrush Symphony is in Smash Run... I dunno. I could go both ways here. 75m or Rumble Falls.

Wrecking Crew: Another unaccounted for franchise in the 3DS version's data. Seems self explanatory.

Miiverse: The third and final unaccounted for franchise in the 3DS version's data. Didn't know how to visualize this in a picture form, but I'm thinking the stage could be something like Pictochat, maybe?

-----

That's all I got. I am afraid that this is still way too optimistic.

Bowser's Castle*

Pirate Ship HD*

Wii Sports Resort*
Pilotwings

Wii Sports Resort sounds like it could have potential, but doesn't the Pilotwings stage have Wii Sports in the background or something like that? That's what I've heard.

Pirate Ship HD & Bowser's Castle are a definite yes in my opinion.

Zubz

Banned
Pilotwings Resort is set on Wuhu island or whatever the hell it's called from the Sports Resort games

Yup. I'm still thinking that Pilotwings ended up being the Wii Sports Resort level, myself. Still, I like the idea, and an see all those other stages, too! Maybe a few more past stages, but I think this is along the right lines of what we'll get. Still hoping for Fountain of Dreams HD, but I know that's not happening... :/

I know this has been asked before and there's no real answer to the question because ultimately everyone's experience is individual and anecdotal, but why the Hell is Fountain of Dreams so popular?

In the seven years I spent playing Melee as a kid I don't think I ever chose Fountain of Dreams on purpose. Now I like it because it's legal, but it's my least favorite legal stage in the entire series.

Everything people say they like about it (the size, the music, etc) are exactly the things that bore me about it. It was so weird to me in the post-Brawl communities to see people lamenting the loss of what I had only ever known to be a boring and unpopular stage.

But obviously the collective had a different experience than me. If I had to pick a Melee stage to come back it would be PokeFloats.

But that's not a legal stage, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom