• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so happy US is getting it first (sorry EU, I wish you were getting it first with us, too).
bca5e5cf4044732c3b4cdc13606155e7.gif

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
For years you Europeans were laughing at us for our Black Friday tradition. Well who's laughing now?

NeonZ

Speaking of Ridley as a clone, I kind of wonder where we'd be now if he were added to Melee as a Bowser clone instead of Ganondorf, for much the same reason.

The version in Melee's intro had a similar body type, after all.
Bowser's shell moves make that pretty much impossible though.

Woah, just saw the latest leak. 16 characters sound way to good to be true! However I wouldn't say uts out of the realm of possibilypty. With DLC, who knows just how much Nintendo will go with this. Its really hard to tell. Imean the MK8 DLC is half the size of the base game when you take into account that courses are more important to that game than Smash's characters so its hard o tell how much DLC there will be.

Guessing Smash World I say is a very low chance, but the way he keeps flipflopping between whats a character and AT is kinda weird.

All these characters sound great! Would love Chorus Kids, Ridley, Dixie, Mewtwo, Inklings, Excitebiker, and some of the others. (I already forgot some of them.)

I like playing as Dr. Mario and Luigi is my favorite so I'd be down for that. I honesly like Urban Champion and I can see Sakurai adding him just because he's from such a bad game. (That I find kinda fun.) Tho a character like that seems like it would be better as being in the base game...

Seriously, I will buy all DLC they release. I don't even care if its from a franchise I don't like. I wanna play as all the characters and see all the stages! Please be true, 16 characters would be beyond awesome! (Too good to be true...)
Edit: Oh, Exitebiker was "fake" okay then. Really confusing, these posts.

Wait so the leak was fake? Link?

My dream Metroid roster lineup would be Samus, Dark Samus, Higgs and then a Bowser Jr. sort of character that shows off all of the Prime Hunters as alts.

Ridley, Mother Brain, etc. would all make great Assist Trophies. I'd love to see a Gandrayda AT or possibly a stage boss that takes the form of all the fighters in the match.

Ryce

I still wanna know where his Melee-Brawl run animation came from.

Was it supposed to be a weird Mario Kart reference?
It was supposed to resemble an actual tank, but Sakurai never explained why. The official name for his old dash attack was even "Convoy Tackle." It probably had to do with Bowser being a huge powerhouse, personifying the "tank" trope.

I suspect Melee Bowser's design was based on Sakurai's plans for the original Smash Bros., which would have been drafted up in 1998. Bowser hadn't been well-characterized until much later, giving Sakurai a degree of leeway in coming up with his own design. That doesn't explain Brawl, though -- by 2005 Bowser had evolved beyond "feral monster tank," but maybe Sakurai didn't want to change him up too much in one leap.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Like I mentioned before I think Torterra would be a pretty cool character to take over that "tank" role.

Azure J

Sixteen? Jesus Christ. :lol

Not like I'd ever say no to that but the logistics put that squarely into the "fake as fuck" category.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It may have been 14, I don't remember. I just kind of skimmed it all and it was all just totally nonsense.

The only reason anyone even paid it any mind is because the guy said something about Smash World, and that happened to show up in one of those announcer sound clip videos.

There's no way we're getting double digit new characters. Absolutely no way. At best we'll see enough to balance out the characters select screen on the 3DS version. Even then, I think the characters will be ideas Sakurai ran out of time trying to fit in and or removed veterans.

Not

Banned
The idea that Sakurai would hold 5 characters back for connectivity encouragement sounds only slightly feasible. Any "leak" that goes further than that is so stupid.

The only thing we might see is character DLC way further down the line a la Mario Kart. But costumes, power-ups and stages seems more like Sakurai's wheelhouse. Unless all of the DLC are clones.

Xeroblade

Lots of nothing.

Personally I don't think any of the leaks right now are real and worth thinking about.

I am with this guy, Nintendo will not have anything special for the Wii U version, we will all get the same exact game as the 3ds. Which is why I am still against the 3ds version. How dare they dumb down my Wii U version!

That supposed-leak is so... all over the place. It's intriguing that it correctly got Smash World, but... it backpedals on half of its information, gives information that would be difficult/impossible to know (Ice Climbers have a 10% chance!), and is just... it doesn't seem believable at all.

The actual content seems possible - if you had told me Mario Kart 8 would get four new cups as DLC I would have told you you were crazy - but the presentation is so ridiculous as to seem comical.

And the next person to call the Chorus Kids anything but the Chorus Kids gets smacked in the face.

There's no way we're getting double digit new characters. Absolutely no way. At best we'll see enough to balance out the characters select screen on the 3DS version. Even then, I think the characters will be ideas Sakurai ran out of time trying to fit in and or removed veterans.
We got 16 new courses for MK8 which I think is about the same as 16 new smash characters. Lots of details go into those courses. Not saying its real, but certainly possible. DLC can really go with just a few characters, or a ton. Its hard to tell what Sakurai/Nintendo will do and how many characters they will make. They are pushing these games harder than they've ever pushed before. They are counting on these games to succeed because they need profits and they may just go crazy with DLC because they know it'll sell and we already know about amiibos, which really serve no point except to collect because no one cares about their ingame function. They know those will sell too.

If we are getting 5 characters on both games at WiiU's launch, then they'll need to announce that soon. Of course if we get 5 characters at WiiU launch that likely means that they were held back when they were already finished since I wouldn't think they could complete the WiiU version and make the characters in two months time which is eh...but there was day one DLC for Maio Golf so not the first time...(I'll buy them all anywayz lol)

EulaCapra

What the what did I just read? DLC plans, Smash World, being lied to of some DLC aspects, 16 characters, working models, character popularity, Splatoon pack, Cooking Mama, Urban Champion??? Jesus. Fake as press-on nails by I like the enthusiasm.

Could you imagine getting that many DLC characters? Smash 5 will only have 6 newcomers confirmed. It's like they're throwing everything they can at it as a surprise final Smash game before Smash Bros turns into Nintendo vs. Every Japanese video game company's Mascots.

We got 16 new courses for MK8 which I think is about the same as 16 new smash characters. Lots of details go into those courses. Not saying its real, but certainly possible. DLC can really go with just a few characters, or a ton. Its hard to tell what Sakurai/Nintendo will do and how many characters they will make. They are pushing these games harder than they've ever pushed before. They are counting on these games to succeed because they need profits and they may just go crazy with DLC because they know it'll sell and we already know about amiibos, which really serve no point except to collect because no one cares about their ingame function. They know those will sell too.

If we are getting 5 characters on both games at WiiU's launch, then they'll need to announce that soon. Of course if we get 5 characters at WiiU launch that likely means that they were held back when they were already finished since I wouldn't think they could complete the WiiU version and make the characters in two months time which is eh...but there was day one DLC for Maio Golf so not the first time...(I'll buy them all anywayz lol)

There is a lot more involved in balancing characters for a fighting game than tracks for a racing game like Mario Kart.

I think we could look at 10 extra DLC characters MAX. I'd love to be wrong and see more though.

Hey Kojima. Call Sakurai. Make Snake happen again. I got $5 on him.

Drago

I really just can't see a massive character DLC blowout happening for this game. I expect like 5-6 characters at most (including veterans) if we even get DLC in the first place.

Maybe I'm just being too much if a pessimist here, though.

kunonabi

as far as Metroid reps go I wouldn't be interested in anyone aside from Adam, Higgs, or Ridley. We already have two versions of Samus so Dark Samus seems like a waste to me and was never very interesting to begin with.

Caladrius

I find it incredibly unlikely that we'll get more than 6 , and that's an optimistic number already.

as far as Metroid reps go I wouldn't be interested in anyone aside from Adam, Higgs, or Ridley. We already have two versions of Samus so Dark Samus seems like a waste to me and was never very interesting to begin with.

The only things Dark Samus and Samus really share are their silhouettes and a name. The two have radically different power sets and demeanors, so it isn't like she's going to be Dark Pit. Even Sakurai acknowledged that with her assist trophy sharing no moves with Samus.

i think I have said this before but dark samus would be sooo coooool.

I actually spent a good portion of today trying to make a dark samus mii lol

also link to the link plz? I cant find it :(

There is a lot more involved in balancing characters for a fighting game than tracks for a racing game like Mario Kart.

No

The work and money that goes into Animating the characters, modeling, and sound actors, far exceeds creating a course.
Alright, guess your right. I don't know much about developing games. Still, its certainly possible they go through the effort to make those characters for massive profits.

There could be 0, 4. 8. 16, or any number of DLC characters. We won't really know how far they will take it until we know.

Caladrius

I really wish they would expand on the Mii creator. It feels so limited.

People have made a lot of good stuff with it as it is, but it's still far too easy to run into a wall.

please just give us hair dyes like tomodachi life

it's really dumb that more hair colors aren't integrated into mii maker from the start. it doesn't even have a lot of natural hair colors.

So I'm thinking all of those hidden announcer lines are used for the Wii U version and are in the 3DS version because of your ability to use the 3DS as a controller for the Wii U version. I'm thinking it is able to project some (if not all...? eh, probably not) of the sounds that the Wii U version has, at least, things like announcer things. And it probably has its own display for character damages, explaining why things like P5-P8 are included in the 3DS version.

And could this be related to the unused Star Fox voice actors in the 3DS version's credits, maybe? Though their actual voice clips are not in the 3DS version anywhere so far as we know, though it could be imported via an update when the Wii U version comes out. Maybe. The Star Fox Assault/Brawl voices indicates to me that Lylat Cruise is coming back to the Wii U version and the other 64 3D voices would be used on the Orbital Gate stage (which, admittedly, seems backwards, but new voice actors for the new game, I doubt they'd cast Fox's voice twice in the same game). Perhaps then these Star Fox Smash Taunts could be displayed on the 3DS when using it as a controller? And then following that they probably would be displayed on the Wii U Gamepad as well.

Though I don't see why that would put them in the credits of the 3DS version. But I'm not really sure how that works.

Just some thoughts on the matter.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Does the "Reaper General" appear in Find Mii?

Just noticed he's in the Stage Section of the Trophies, but I've never seen him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom