• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

What a load of Bullshit
MGS was so lazy compared to just these MegaMan trophies shown.
Also now that I see it, it's kinda crazy how much is here that was never even related to nintendo.
But that's what made snake so badass in smash.

Metal Gear didn't get anything near as cool.

Brawl had very few trophies with original models, like the two Ouendan and Elite Beat Agents ones. Most of them were just asset rips from other games.

I would imagine they'd be added to the pool of trophies you COULD get, through normal means.

I could also see them adding challenges in regards to the DLC, especially if it contains more than just a fighter, for instance a stage. So let's say hypothetically, we get a Wolf DLC pack with Melee Venom as an additional stage and beyond the 2 fighter trophies, we'd have a trophy for bandaged Wolf from SF64 3D and Andross' monkey form. We get a DLC challenge page, and it adds the challenges to win 5 matches as Wolf for the bandaged Wolf trophy and 3 matches on Venom for the new Andross trophy.

I think that would probably the best solution.

Yeah, don't see why DLC characters wouldn't have DLC classic/All-Star trophies to go alongside their addition.

I think the real question is if we get DLC characters, since they'll inevitably be somebody who already has a trophy in one of the versions if not both, what happens to the trophy they used to have? Say if Lucas and Wolf get made playable, do their original 3DS trophies get a (Mother 3) and (Assault) thing after their names like the alt versions of Link/Zelda/Ganondorf do for their OoT trophies?

I would think so, yes. Since a DLC would inevitably come with a patch, they could easily change the trophy descriptions or names to reflect the new content.

You know, the GBA really got the short-end-of-the-stick...

Pretty much all the cut Assist Trophies originated on the GBA...Barbara, Isaac, Jill. Only GBA Assist Trophy new to the game is Nightmare, and only because he uses the GBA remake design.

Only Game Boy Advance stage is WarioWare, an old stage, and the only GBA music as far as I recall is the WarioWare theme from Brawl (Ashley's Theme and Ashley are from the DS game).

The only characters that originated on the GBA now that Lucas is cut are Biker Wario and ZSS, and they're just re-imaginings of classic characters.

Barbara didn't originate on GBA (her first game was Daigasso! Band Brothers on DS), but another cut Assist, Helirin from Kururin, did.

Also, Kat & Ana debuted on GBA, and the Rainbow Road Series Medley contains Super Circuit music.

Oh, and anything Gen 3 Pokemon of course.

Really hope if things go particularly south for Capcom and they start auctioning off IP's, Nintendo snatches up Mega Man; they'd make far better use of it.

Pls give Resident Evil to Retro, pls pls

Prediction: Ganondorf's and Jigglypuff's profiles will be up this week.

Yeah, I was expecting Ganondorf today. Oh well.

It seems weird that we haven't seen a single Ganondorf Wii U shot. Unless you count the render?

They've been going in order by VS matches unlock, so it should be Ganondorf and R.O.B.

Nice catch!

Edit: I just realized this image is the one that Agnes leaker used as a base:

CharacterSelectScreen.png

You can tell because the bit of Link's shadow that's covered by the "ready" sign was missing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think the Agnes leak should get the award for being the worst fake. The number of stupid errors in it is astounding.

udivision

I'm beginning to feel like they went with the wrong MegaMan.
Even though he's less iconic, goingwith MegaMan X could've given us a Bowser Jr. Situation in which X could've been swapped with any other of the (nonclassic) MegaMen in the final smash because of their similar heights. Unfortunately classic Megaman is noticeably shorter than the rest... oh well.

Unless you count SSE, nope. Still reckon Sal's source was right on the money about the Chorus Kids/Men being playable at one point; that Famitsu article where Sakurai also talks about 'Melee being hard to port content from' mentions the only *new* enemies allowed in Smash Run had to be part of a playable franchise, and we already know the IC got cut fairly late in development.

Yeah it seems weird that every series outside of SSE is represented (Pac-Man technically uses moves based on different Namco classics) besides those two. Chorus Kids seemed like a really out there choice on the Gematsu issue and then Sneaky Spirits were seen at E3. At the same time, I don't think anyone has found evidence of them playable in the files. Ice Climbers at least have the chant that was found by accident.

rekameohs

Banned
I'm beginning to feel like they went with the wrong MegaMan.
Even though he's less iconic, goingwith MegaMan X could've given us a Bowser Jr. Situation in which X could've been swapped with any other of the (nonclassic) MegaMen in the final smash because of their similar heights. Unfortunately classic Megaman is noticeably shorter than the rest... oh well.

No way. You gotta use classic Mega Man if you use any of them.

Golnei

I just hope they aren't shy about certain "spoiler" characters...

There's plenty to use for trophies without delving into anything past the 30-hour mark - some version of the entire playable party, various enemies, weapons, and locations, a large chunk of the supporting cast...

Though they could just re-use the 3DS game's miniscule selection, I guess. Plus a Metal Face trophy which consists entirely of a 2D shadow.

Akai

There's plenty to use for trophies without delving into anything past the 30-hour mark - some version of the entire playable party, various enemies, weapons, and locations, a large chunk of the supporting cast...

No, you don't seem to understand. I WANT them to have trophies of said "spoiler" characters... =(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
  • Agnés instead of Agnès
  • Player two has selected a different character
  • The symbol has faded transparency
  • The art is clearly an edit of pre-existing art. It even has thick black lines because it's an drawing rather than CG render.
  • Haruka (though none of them seem to have worked out that this is who it is) is just a 2D illustration.
    Everyone's favourite close up and at an angle photo!
Why some of them are even giving this a chance is beyond me.

At least the support for Bag grows.

I feel if any other 3rd-party characters were to become playable, it would ruin what we have now.

Mario, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Sonic

Aside from Snake (even then, he feels out of place), I don't feel any other third-party character can meet the same standards as these guys.

4c7.png

I think Slime could fit in Smash as an additional third party rep. Dragon Quest is important as an NES RPG series and in recent years practically every DQ game has been on a Nintendo system.

But the ones we have now fit absolutely perfectly. Mega Man might as well be a Nintendo character he fits in so naturally.

Berordn

I think Slime could fit in Smash as an additional third party rep. Dragon Quest is important as an NES RPG series and in recent years practically every DQ game has been on a Nintendo system.

As of late it looks like they might be going PS/Mobile instead of Nintendo platforms, but Slime or one of the early DQ heroes would work.

Though I personally still choose the Mario-fied Black Mage that shows up in the SE sports spinoffs.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If you want one of the most recognised faces in gaming as a third party rep you should go with Mr Yellow Face from Minesweeper.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If you want one of the most recognised faces in gaming as a third party rep you should go with Mr Yellow Face from Minesweeper.

That's just Pacman from before he was big.

I would like to see Simon Belmont, ideally.

As of late it looks like they might be going PS/Mobile instead of Nintendo platforms, but Slime or one of the early DQ heroes would work.
When you consider the Fortune Street box art, Slime would be a pretty obvious choice for Square. I personally want to fight as a Chocobo.

kunonabi

I feel if any other 3rd-party characters were to become playable, it would ruin what we have now.

Aside from Snake (even then, he feels out of place), I don't feel any other third-party character can meet the same standards as these guys.

4c7.png

Simon Belmont absolutely deserves a spot. He's worth it for the stages and music alone. He's honestly a better fit than Pac-man who isn't nearly as big a part of Nintendo's history as Castlevania is.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Bomberman.

I think he's the only character who'd fit alongside Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man. Classic character, well-known, cute and iconic design, and we'd have a nice even four Guest Stars.

Only problem is, would he be considered Hudson, or Konami?

I really hope they have some spoilertastic Xenoblade trophies. Unless we only want representation of stuff that happens before the story really kicks into gear.

Watch Da Birdie

Problem with Simon is he isn't iconic...I mean in terms of design, there's really no "set" Simon Belmont qualities besides having a whip. His appearance changes all the time.

Even though Sonic and Pac-Man went through re-designs, they have very set, iconic elements---color, shape---that Simon lacks.

How many games has Simon Belmont appeared in?
Castlevania, Vampire Killer (really just MSX port of Castlevania, YMMV on how much it counts), Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest, Haunted Castle (the arcade one), Super Castlevania IV, Castlevania Chronicles (port of a Sharp X68000 game), Castlevania Judgment, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate, Harmony of Despair (as DLC).

4c7.png

Oooh Oooh. Speaking of fanart and stuff on KYM. Some nice fanart was posted there recently:

320.png

de9.png

Also:

c2c.gif

Wow!

Castlevania, Vampire Killer (really just MSX port of Castlevania, YMMV on how much it counts), Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest, Haunted Castle (the arcade one), Super Castlevania IV, Castlevania Chronicles (port of a Sharp X68000 game), Castlevania Judgment, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate, Harmony of Despair (as DLC).

Only 9 games?

I assume that's more than any of the other Belmonts?

Oooh Oooh. Speaking of fanart and stuff on KYM. Some nice fanart was posted there recently:

320.png

Gaaah! To cute!

Also:
c2c.gif

Wow!

That KO Punch is doing some amazing things.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I really hope they have some spoilertastic Xenoblade trophies. Unless we only want representation of stuff that happens before the story really kicks into gear.
Well now that I've beaten the game I say spoil away (in the game, not in this thread).

Only 9 games?

I assume that's more than any of the other Belmonts?
I think only Richter comes close. Let's see... Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, Dracula XX (the SNES one), Symphony of the Night, Portrait of Ruin (as a spirit inhabiting the Vampire Killer Jonathan Morris has to defeat to properly wield it), Dracula X Chronicles (PSP remake of Rondo of Blood), Harmony of Despair... I'd thought Judgment as well, but nope, he's not in that one.

You know what I don't like?

I don't like that Little Mac sounds like a screaming Anime Samurai.

"UUUrrryyaaaaa!!!"

No. Get Takamaru in here and have him scream in Japanese. That's cool.
But Little Mac is an American hero. That's like Schwarzenegger with Japanese battle cries. No. Get some localization in here pronto!

J-Tier

Pac-Man is way more iconic than Simon Belmont. He may be slightly more significant in terms of being on Nintendo consoles, but Pac-Man is a huge video game icon overall. Mario, Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac-Man are all big enough icons for a good number of people outside of the gaming community to actually know who they are.

Simon Belmont doesn't even come close to touching the feet of these "giants" in terms of recognition.

Despite that, he'd be much more fitting than Snake for a Konami rep (though I'd be down for Frogger lol).

Pac-Man is way more iconic than Simon Belmont. He may be slightly more significant in terms of being on Nintendo consoles, but Pac-Man is a huge video game icon overall. Mario, Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac-Man are all big enough icons for a good number of people outside of the gaming community to actually know who they are.

Simon Belmont doesn't even come close to touching the feet of these "giants" in terms of recognition.

Despite that, he'd be much more fitting than Snake for a Konami rep (though I'd be down for Frogger lol).

Hell ya. Frogger is good, and Bomberman is a prime candidate.

Watch Da Birdie

Mario, Pac-Man, and Sonic are HUGE to even non-gamers.

Mega Man and Simon Belmont are only big to gamers. And even then, a lot of gamers today probably don't know them. I know I got a lot of looks once when mentioning Mega Man to some people when it came to games I liked.

Yeah, Snake was really out of place in the Smash universe. He fits better in the PS All-Stars universe IMO. Castlevania or Goemon would have fit better.
Since Konami owned Hudson, Master Higgins or Bomberman would also fit.

If Bomberman ever got in, I'd give him Master Higgins' skateboard as a Side-B.
Final smash would be Bomberman riding the pteranodon from Adventure Island and dropping massive bombs down below.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom