• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

J@hranimo

Banned
zlCfzSi0-JEd4tMNSX

MY EYES

zroid

Banned
zlCfzSi0-JEd4tMNSX

Pic of the day. Now here's a challenge… Find Stalfos!! (Difficulty Level 3) This is a close-up of a specific area in the Trophy Hoard, but the search will be more challenging if you zoom out. You can change the alignment of these trophies by holding down a direction on the +Control Pad while you're entering Trophy Hoard.

oh my

Well, that's a... different PotD. Outdoing yesterday's was going to be an almost-impossible task, anyway.

The closer we get to the Wii U version's release without Sakurai revealing more stages or its exclusive modes, the more interesting this gets.

ugoo18

Why are we still getting 3DS pictures -_-

The game has been out worldwide for nearly 2 weeks on the 3DS, there's literally nothing new he could show about the 3DS version that isn't already available on the net.

Show us some WiiU stages/modes/anything (I'd take WiiU menu pics at this point), i'm tired of seeing 3DS POTD when i can damm well just play the 3DS version already and have been for awhile now.

Well, that's a... different PotD. Outdoing yesterday's was going to be an almost-impossible task, anyway.

The closer we get to the Wii U version's release without Sakurai revealing more stages or its exclusive modes, the more interesting this gets.
Yeah, Sakurai created the same roster for both games (which I'm glad for since 3DS version is best version for me) so I think we'll do the same for stages. Calling 34 WiiU stages.

I mean, while 3DS version is my main, I'd still hope to be proven wrong obviously since if theres not more stages in WiiU, well thats less stages to play period. But developing both games at the same time has probably caused stage setbacks for both versions. But still, as long as it doesn't share retro stages and theres no more shared stages to reveal, which I think is the case thats around 65 (? Don't feel like counting) stages total with around 45ish new ones between both versions which imo is pretty fantastic. You really can't think of the stage rosters as too seperate even if you play one version much more/only get one version. I think they just kinda go together.

I do hope next time Nintendo does create a sorta hybrid that way both versions can get the same stages too and no matter which version you pick, you'll get everything. But it is too soon to start speculating for a next gen smash lol.

I just really hope they port a couple 64/non Brawl Melee stages for WiiU/future Smash. I never even really Even got to play Flatzone 1 and probably other stages that I've never even seen at all because I didn't really really get into it until Brawl. O_O Its sad to see those may be lost forever.

Masked Man

I said wow
You know what I don't like?

I don't like that Little Mac sounds like a screaming Anime Samurai.

"UUUrrryyaaaaa!!!"

No. Get Takamaru in here and have him scream in Japanese. That's cool.
But Little Mac is an American hero. That's like Schwarzenegger with Japanese battle cries. No. Get some localization in here pronto!

Omg they kept his うりゃー!for the EN version? I can't believe they didn't change that! For shame, NoA.

But do fighters really explore on an expansive battlefield?

*Wolf howls from the depths of Sector Z*

Hatchtag

Banned
Yeah, Sakurai created the same roster for both games (which I'm glad for since 3DS version is best version for me) so I think we'll do the same for stages. Calling 34 WiiU stages.

I mean, while 3DS version is my main, I'd still hope to be proven wrong obviously since if theres not more stages in WiiU, well thats less stages to play period. But developing both games at the same time has probably caused stage setbacks for both versions. But still, as long as it doesn't share retro stages and theres no more shared stages to reveal, which I think is the case thats around 65 (? Don't feel like counting) stages total with around 45ish new ones between both versions which imo is pretty fantastic. You really can't think of the stage rosters as too seperate even if you play one version much more/only get one version. I think they just kinda go together.

I do hope next time Nintendo does create a sorta hybrid that way both versions can get the same stages too and no matter which version you pick, you'll get everything. But it is too soon to start speculating for a next gen smash lol.

I just really hope they port a couple 64/non Brawl Melee stages for WiiU/future Smash. I never even really Even got to play Flatzone 1 and probably ther stages that I've never even seen all because I didn't really really get inti it until Brawl. O_O Its sad to see those may be lost forever.

Considering Fire Emblem and Kirby both have 2 stages on Wii U as opposed to 1 on 3DS, I'm guessing the Wii U version will have a few more stages.

Considering Fire Emblem and Kirby both have 2 stages on Wii U as opposed to 1 on 3DS, I'm guessing the Wii U version will have a few more stages.
I was kinda thinking tha oo, but as soon as he started revealing WiiU stages at one a week he stopped again so still not too sure yet. I think it'll be close to 3DS's, less than 40, but hope to be proven wrong! Irhink at the moment we are around the 3DS's starting roster number right? Give or take two maybe? But maybe its just that its easier to port stages to WiiU and there will just be more retro stages. We also got two AC stages...hopefully there is quite a few more to go! Even if a rep doesn't get in, I still want a Rhythm Heaven Stage! And Duck Hunt stage please!

Caladrius

Not really. It just means he's choosing to keep whatever is exclusive to the Wii U version secret for longer than we were expecting.

I'm not worried at all that there's no exclusive Wii U mode or something. That's impossible.

Maybe. I'm not worried about exclusive modes so much as stages and options

I just hope that's all it is. The 3DS version damaged my confidence as far as content density goes, and the silence keeps gnawing on my doubts.

Maybe. I'm not worried about exclusive modes so much as stages and options

I just hope that's all it is. The 3DS version damaged my confidence as far as content density goes, and the silence keeps gnawing on my doubts.

That's understandable. I myself am just a bit worried without regard to how many stages we're actually getting in the Wii U version, and how many of them won't be returning Brawl and Melee stages on top of that.

There has to be an item frequency setting in the Wii U version, though. There has to be.

Hatchtag

Banned
I was kinda thinking tha oo, but as soon as he started revealing WiiU stages at one a week he stopped again so still not too sure yet. I think it'll be close to 3DS's, less than 40, but hope to be proven wrong! Irhink at the moment we are around the 3DS's starting roster number right? Give or take two maybe? But maybe its just that its easier to port stages to WiiU and there will just be more retro stages. We also got two AC stages...hopefully there is quite a few more to go! Even if a rep doesn't get in, I still want a Rhythm Heaven Stage! And Duck Hunt stage please!

We're at 25 Wii U Stages right now, versus 34 on the 3DS version.
Some other tidbits:
-Series with character reps not repped on the Wii U version that are repped on the 3DS: F-Zero, Yoshi, Game & Watch, Donkey Kong
-Series with less stages on the Wii U version (not counting the above): Mario (3), Zelda (1), Pokemon (1)
-Series with more stages on the Wii U version: Kirby, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing
-Series with character reps not repped on the 3DS version that are repped on the 3DS: Wii Fit
-There's 7 unlockable 3DS stages (although 3 were officially shown off pre-release). So, if there's version parity in number and secret stages, expect to see only 2 more Wii U stages pre-release (or 5 more if 3 are shown off despite being secret again).

Richie

Didn't Sakurai say that he was gonna talk less about Smash 4 compared to all the info he let out in the Dojo? Because maaan, he's taking that to heart with the Wii U version!

Hatchtag

Banned
Didn't Sakurai say that he was gonna talk less about Smash 4 compared to all the info he let out in the Dojo? Because maaan, he's taking that to heart with the Wii U version!

To be fair, Brawl's content only had to cover from May 2007-January 2008 (plus two months post-release), while Smash 4 Wii U had to cover from June 2013-November 2014 (plus presumably some of December post-release).

I'm not worried about the stage count.

Fire Emblem and Kirby both have a new stage and a retro stage (I'm counting Great Cave Offensive as a revealed stage for the purposes of this post). Seeing as retro stages were used to fill in for lack of new stages on 3DS I think every series is going to have at least one new stage.

From what we've already seen, I expect to also have:

1 more new stage for each of Mario, Zelda and Pokemon, and possibly 1 more for Metroid.
A new stage for Donkey Kong, Yoshi, F-Zero, Mother, Game & Watch and Duck Hunt. Possibly even a second new stage for DK.

One or two stages from unrepped series/apps like Wii Sports, Rhythm Heaven, Miiverse etc in the vein of Hanenbow and Pictochat.

Plus more retro stages, likely one for at least Mario, Zelda and Pokemon.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzSi0-JEd4tMNSX
Pic of the day. Now here's a challenge… Find Stalfos!! (Difficulty Level 3) This is a close-up of a specific area in the Trophy Hoard, but the search will be more challenging if you zoom out. You can change the alignment of these trophies by holding down a direction on the +Control Pad while you're entering Trophy Hoard.
I had a feeling something like this was back, but I tried everything but the D-pad. Typical.

Richie

To be fair, Brawl's content only had to cover from May 2007-January 2008 (plus two months post-release), while Smash 4 Wii U had to cover from June 2013-November 2014 (plus presumably some of December post-release).

Trueché! I think a blowout Direct is just around the corner.

As for stages, I'm betting on Paper Mario's to also make it to the Wii U. Come oooon, Sakurai, tell me you remembered Bowser Inside Story's Final Boss Theme...

We're at 25 Wii U Stages right now, versus 34 on the 3DS version.
Some other tidbits:
-Series with character reps not repped on the Wii U version that are repped on the 3DS: F-Zero, Yoshi, Game & Watch, Donkey Kong
-Series with less stages on the Wii U version (not counting the above): Mario (3), Zelda (1), Pokemon (1)
-Series with more stages on the Wii U version: Kirby, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing
-Series with character reps not repped on the 3DS version that are repped on the 3DS: Wii Fit
-There's 7 unlockable 3DS stages (although 3 were officially shown off pre-release). So, if there's version parity in number and secret stages, expect to see only 2 more Wii U stages pre-release (or 5 more if 3 are shown off despite being secret again).
Nice break down. Too soon to really really tell yet, we only have around 40 days left and Sakurai keeps posting alot of 3DS pics. The more stages for Kirby, FE, and AC looks promising but I'm not sure either way, if theres gonna be any difference in the end.

I wonder if some of the stages that he's shown off are secret, then which ones? I would think the Kalos Pokemon League would be secret with how much Sakurai has not explained it but its obviously a starter lol.

Will be interesting to see how it all goes down. Not much longer. Hope to see as many stages as possible.

L00P

zlCfzSi0-JEd4tMNSX

Found him! Wait, no...that's Waldo

EhoaVash

Bah my eyes what an ugly looking collection

Sakurai just couldn't make a better background

He should of had the cool TV room from melee back

That's wolfos. Lern2zelda
༼ ºل͟º ༽ teach him how to zeldo ༼ ºل͟º ༽

I think that Ganondorf story is fake. There's no source for it - just an anonymous post.
Speaking of Sakurai and Ganondorf, why do so many people think Ganondorf is Sakurai's main?

Golnei

༼ ºل͟º ༽ teach him how to zeldo ༼ ºل͟º ༽

I think that Ganondorf story is fake. There's no source for it - just an anonymous post.
Speaking of Sakurai and Ganondorf, why do so many people think Ganondorf is Sakurai's main?

I think the only evidence pointing towards it is Sakurai using Ganondorf on a Japanese variety show when marketing Brawl, and statements in interviews that he enjoys using Captain Falcon and Ganondorf's movesets. Though there might be a lot of things I've overlooked, I'm a very amateurish stalker.

and you're spelling zorldo wrong

Masked Man

I said wow
Sakurai played Ganondorf in this vid. Not too clear on if he actually says he "mains" Ganondorf or if he even mains anyone, or if he even plays Smash for fun after spending years developing it.

To clarify, at no point in this video does Sakurai mention anything about maining Ganondorf--or anyone, for that matter. (Not saying that's what you insinuated, just clarifying since that seems to be a piece of false information people keep trying to spread.)

Forkball

To clarify, at no point in this video does Sakurai mention anything about maining Ganondorf--or anyone, for that matter. (Not saying that's what you insinuated, just clarifying since that seems to be a piece of false information people keep trying to spread.)

It's pretty obvious that "Sakurai mains Ganondorf!" is based on circumstantial evidence that people exaggerated about just because. I do think that if the translation on the Famitsu article is accurate, it would warrant a thread because many wonder why Ganondorf has been like he is for the past three games.

What's the point in showing off these minor 3DS features. Everyone who watches the POTD either owns the game or has no interest in the 3DS game.

From a marketing stand point it doesn't really make sense to me. Even random pictures of Wii U fighters that didn't contain any news at all would be better.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What's the point in showing off these minor 3DS features. Everyone who watches the POTD either owns the game or has no interest in the 3DS game.

From a marketing stand point it doesn't really make sense to me. Even random pictures of Wii U fighters that didn't contain any news at all would be better.

Sakurai does what he wants. Also he did provide a cool titbit with this post.

JazzmanZ

Why are we still getting 3DS pictures -_-

The game has been out worldwide for nearly 2 weeks on the 3DS, there's literally nothing new he could show about the 3DS version that isn't already available on the net.

Show us some WiiU stages/modes/anything (I'd take WiiU menu pics at this point), i'm tired of seeing 3DS POTD when i can damm well just play the 3DS version already and have been for awhile now.
Sakurai can do as he pleases with PotD. He doesn't have to keep making daily screenshots y'know?

emb

I don't think most are expecting he said it. Rather, since he plays Ganondorf in the only video we had of him playing at the time, it was assumed. But thanks for the clarification, that's interesting to know. Did he say anything at all in the video that was interesting, or just basic reactions to the match?

But in a recent interview, he gets asked about his favorite characters, and makes a point to say that he plays everyone. Sounds like he's worried about what people might infer if he actually names his favorite character(s). :(

NintendoLife Sakurai interview said:
You've spent a lot of time with this game - do you have a favourite character you always use, and can you explain why that is the case?

There’s no single character I use more than the others, I have to use them all equally.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

What made it worse is that people actually believe that fake article about Sakurai's father and Ganondorf. Good luck to people who are going to be there for next generation smash speculations because they are going to deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom