• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Ganondad. :(

"But when I grew up, I realized my father, that man I was saw as a powerful figure---a king---was often out of breath, and limped along. I wondered why I feared him so much?"

J-Tier

Apparently from the latest Famitsu: the reason Ganon stays the way he is, is because during Melees development, Sakurai's father died, and so he designed Ganondorf as if it was his father in Smash. Slow, having a hard time walking, but something to fear. Because of this, he's really close to the character and he probably won't change him

Basically Ganondorf is Sakurai's father in Smash Bros and he's very attached to the character
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2j5izc/ganondorf_sakurais_father/

Not sure if it's even true?

Could be fake, but if real, it'd put quite a different perspective on Ganondorf. Not sure if the game should be so heavily influenced in this manner if true, but it'd be touching nonetheless.

random25

Apparently from the latest Famitsu: the reason Ganon stays the way he is, is because during Melees development, Sakurai's father died, and so he designed Ganondorf as if it was his father in Smash. Slow, having a hard time walking, but something to fear. Because of this, he's really close to the character and he probably won't change him

Basically Ganondorf is Sakurai's father in Smash Bros and he's very attached to the character
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2j5izc/ganondorf_sakurais_father/

Not sure if it's even true?

Needs more concrete sources but, I get the same feel of fear when I am against Ganondorf. Like I would get smacked when I try approaching him. For as low tier people think he is in Smash 4, most of my 2-stock losses came against Ganondorf lol.

Hatchtag

Banned
Needs more concrete sources but, I get the same feel of fear when I am against Ganondorf. Like I would get smacked when I try approaching him. For as low tier people think he is in Smash 4, most of my 2-stock losses came against Ganondorf lol.

The people who think Ganondorf is low-tier haven't played against this Ganondorf enough and are just running off the assumption that he's like Brawl Ganon, imo. I think he's at least mid-tier, they definitely strongly improved him in this game.

EulaCapra

That can't be real. Because I actually laughed at how melodramatic that read. #TinyViolin

But on the off-chance it was real, I'm sure Sakurai's father would be looking down from heaven smiling at his accomplished life and say, "Toughen up son and give me a new moveset!'

Azure J

Haha, sorry. Look, I actually really like Zero and think he and X make one of the most badass power duos of all time.

But as much as I like Zero, X is my favorite character of all time from pretty much anything ever, and X has been ignored and treated like shit by Capcom, Inafune, and Mega Man fans over the years, keeping the spotlight firmly on Zero - even in X's own series! I'm pretty sure X being relegated to a damn costume for Zero in MvC 3 was when us X fans hit rock-bottom. :p It's too bad, too, because X and Zero together make for a really interesting dynamic that's totally lost when you completely ignore one in favor of the other, even if you like Zero more.

Haha I understand this and I am another member of #TeamX even if the Mega Man Zero series is my favorite series in the Megaman franchise. The best parts of that series (in a story context) were always the parts involving X who had seemingly become the new Zero in his approach to dealing with life at the end of the world but still retained the characteristics that made him so interesting to younger me.

/mega fan off

Why would he see Ganondorf as his dad of all things?

I highly doubt this is the case, and if it is, why not make him more powerful/ top-tier?

Also, Ganondorf was made as a clone due to time-restraints, if this article was the true case then why wouldn't he tell us this sooner?

SCChappy

Banned
I'm pretty sure that Ganondorf quote is fake; it just seems like someone trying to make a Sakurai style reasoning.

Anyways, Hello GAF and SmashGAF! It's my first time posting here, but I've been lurking for years now. I've really enjoyed reading these threads and now I'm finally able to participate in the discussions myself, so I'm looking to forward to just being a regular here.

hey sakurai your father's moves suck

Ganondorf got me through Level 9 Classic, Hard mode on All-Stars and I main him in Project M so I can't blame him too much.

I'm pretty sure that Ganondorf quote is fake; it just seems like someone trying to make a Sakurai style reasoning.

Anyways, Hello GAF and SmashGAF! It's my first time posting here, but I've been lurking for years now. I've really enjoyed reading these threads and now I'm finally able to participate in the discussions myself, so I'm looking to forward to just being a regular here.

Do you accept Ridley as our lord and savior?

And if not, well, who cares!

WELCOME!

Golnei

I'm fairly sure Sakurai's father isn't Ganondorf. Aside from the melodrama, coming from a single unsubstantiated 4chan source, it reads more like an off-colour reference to the infamous Excitebike comic more than anything.

I hear that Mewtwo in Smash Bros was actually based on Sakurai's cat, but after later realizing he didn't want to put his cat in such violent situations, Mewtwo was removed and Sakurai never plans on adding him back in.

Tough luck, Mewtwo fans!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Look, Sakurai. Everything the light touches is our game. A game designer's time as developer rises and falls like the sun. One day, Sakurai, the sun will set on my time here, and will rise with you as the new developer.

And this'll all be mine?

Everything.

Everything the light touches...but what about the shadowy place?

That's Ridley. You must never include him, Sakurai.

I understand where you're coming from. I grew up with the X series, with the original MMX being the very first Mega Man game I ever played. Zero was and still is my favorite character, and I appreciated that Zero got to shine, but I agree. It was X's series and the story should have been focused on him. The way it turned out, X was just kind of there for the majority of it.

And yeah, the costume rubbed me the wrong way too. One of the most highly requested characters, with two opportunities to make it happen, and instead they're like, "What's that? You all want X? Well here you go! He's a skin for Zero. That'll be 4 bucks." What a gyp.

From Inafune's perspective, Zero was always supposed to be the star, anyway. Just Capcom wouldn't let him do it, so X was designed to appease the executives who feared people wouldn't want such a different looking Mega Man.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Oh boy, we are back to Sakurai's father, Ganondorf. We have no reliable source to verifying if it's true or not. I seriously doubt that Sakurai would share his personal life on famitsu. Not that deep.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I feel if any other 3rd-party characters were to become playable, it would ruin what we have now.

Mario, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Sonic

Aside from Snake (even then, he feels out of place), I don't feel any other third-party character can meet the same standards as these guys.

4c7.png

Oooh Oooh. Speaking of fanart and stuff on KYM. Some nice fanart was posted there recently:

320.png

de9.png

Also:

c2c.gif

Wow!

Delicous fanart

Ryce

This week's Famitsu isn't out yet, and last week's Famitsu (of which the full scan is available online) says nothing about Ganondorf. It's fake... though who would make up something like that? Why?

Gleethor

Was it ever 100% established that this is running at 1080p? Like I'm really surprised I haven't seen a single eagle-eyed pixel counter that played the e3 demo weigh in on it.

J@hranimo

Banned
Was it ever 100% established that this is running at 1080p? Like I'm really surprised I haven't seen a single eagle-eyed pixel counter that played the e3 demo weigh in on it.

I could've sworn so cause when they had those press releases of many screenshots from the game they were in 1080p, unless I'm mistaken.

The way the game looks tbh, it better be native 1080p haha.

Gleethor

I could've sworn so cause when they had those press releases of many screenshots from the game they were in 1080p, unless I'm mistaken.

The way the game looks tbh, it better be native 1080p haha.

Well I don't think it looks terrible, but yeah it would be much more impressive if it is in fact 1080p 60 fps while 4 players duke it out and all sorts of crazy shit happens on screen. I have faith that Sakurai and co can achieve it, for all of the complaints about the 3DS version being gimped they pulled off some amazing visuals, all at 60 fps and 3D.

Well I don't think it looks terrible, but yeah it would be much more impressive if it is in fact 1080p 60 fps while 4 players duke it out and all sorts of crazy shit happens on screen. I have faith that Sakurai and co can achieve it, for all of the complaints about the 3DS version being gimped they pulled off some amazing visuals, all at 60 fps and 3D.

1080p/60fps*

*item limits/30 FPS ATs from 3DS version remain

:p

J@hranimo

Banned

I think that's what its at. The game looks great and the art style is smart for achieving it as well. If they could get the game to work so well on the 3DS (barring some circle pad errors) then I think they got it.

1080p/60fps*

*item limits/30 FPS ATs from 3DS version remain

:p

Haha naturally...

ugoo18

Hasn't every POTD for the WiiU version had a 1080p version released as well?

Texan Dedede's tolerable, but I couldn't stand Spanish Meta Knight even as a kid and I do not want it touching Smash/Kirby. Ick.

I can deal with Sakurai Dedede just fine, though I do have to wonder what was the process in making the voice, haha.

Oh god, no. Spanish Meta Knight is horrible. No thank you.

I understand where you're coming from. I grew up with the X series, with the original MMX being the very first Mega Man game I ever played. Zero was and still is my favorite character, and I appreciated that Zero got to shine, but I agree. It was X's series and the story should have been focused on him. The way it turned out, X was just kind of there for the majority of it.

And yeah, the costume rubbed me the wrong way too. One of the most highly requested characters, with two opportunities to make it happen, and instead they're like, "What's that? You all want X? Well here you go! He's a skin for Zero. That'll be 4 bucks." What a gyp.

Yep. All that said, I did like that once Inafune moved on from the series (after X5), those who stayed behind and worked on it brought the focus back to X. X6-X8 and Maverick Hunter X really did a wonderful job honing in on what makes X awesome as a character and a hero, and X was like the biggest badass ever in X8 especially.

None of that makes up for the fact that X6 and X7 were shit games, but hey. You take what you can get. :p

And yeah, the MvC 3 thing literally made zero sense. X topped every single most-wanted character poll (across both the Capcom and Marvel universes!), and still they just did not give a fuck. Ryota Niitsuma did insinuate in an interview somewhere that he considered Zero to be Mega Man, though, and (astonishingly) didn't think the original Mega Man or X had repertoires of moves that lent themselves well to fighting games, which is why he cut Mega Man and didn't fulfill fan desires for X. Unfortunately, it just sounds like X was a victim of Niitsuma's character ignorance/apathy in MvC 3's case.

Considering he was talking about two characters with some of the largest, most diverse pools of attacks in all of gaming, fans knew that was bullshit at the time. Fast-forward a few years later, and Sakurai sure has made him look like an idiot for saying that, considering how he took Mega Man's repertoire of 80+ moves/attacks and pretty much perfectly translated them into a fighting game context.

zlCfzSi0-JEd4tMNSX

Pic of the day. Now here's a challenge… Find Stalfos!! (Difficulty Level 3) This is a close-up of a specific area in the Trophy Hoard, but the search will be more challenging if you zoom out. You can change the alignment of these trophies by holding down a direction on the +Control Pad while you're entering Trophy Hoard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom