• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys? Apparantly there is a picture going around of a 3D model of the Flying Man. I won't post it since it seems like its a scan and has Japanese text, but someone should get on translating that.
Flying Man DLC confirmed? D:
I really don't think Magicant and the SNES Mute City also being Wii U stages is so out there. Only other reason I can think of as to why they'd get new stages on the 3DS version but no vet stages while bigger franchises would get a vet stage but no new 3DS stage.

Pyrokai

i still think the most telling thing for DLC is the many single gaps in the stage/character/item select screens, and the unused arrow files that fit them perfectly.

i mean, what else could it be?

Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly are you talking about? Are you taking about he "gray space" on the character and stage selection screens? And what is an arrow file?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The Wii U version has to be going gold already, though. Games usually go to print about a month before they ship to retailers, so at this point they'd have two or three more days of actual development/testing at best. Nah, I'm thinking DLC.

Problem is that we don't know the date of interview. It could be last week or so. I recalled that Sakurai mentioned that he's still working on Wii U version last week in one of those article/interview.

Also he didn't even mention anything about Wii U version, or in fact he didn't say that he's done with Wii U version. He was commenting on how he is done with 3DS version, and it's not over yet as if he were referring to Wii U version.

The guy behind the 16 DLC leak is back again!

Average price for 3DS being $5.99 for two characters isn't bad, but for stuff like Wonder Red and Isaac, having to pay when WiiU got them for free would just piss me and everyone else that mains the 3DS version off. Also Wonder Red went from DLC to AT to DLC. Plot twists up in here. Also, online only unlockables.

Well, I have lost faith in this leak if I do say so myself. Mr. Prince just shot himself in the foot. I also think he edited his post on SB to day "deleted due to Nintendo C&D" :D

Why are you bringing it up? I strongly believe that the best solution is not given those attention seeker the 15 minutes fame. I meant the leak that are so terrible bad and awful. He flipped and flopped so much which is a huge telling.

kimtish

Neo Member
Fake or not, these rumors have pushed me over the edge. I'm definitely getting a Wii U on black friday.

Realistically, how cheap do you think I can pick one up?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I translated the Flying Man pic:

"Flying Man is somewhat of a contradiction---in Smash Brothers, he's both powerful, yet comes across as a little two-dimensional, a little flat. In a way, he was greatly influenced by my late father who passed away shortly beforehand. As a child, I viewed my father as a 3D figure, a man with both height, width, and depth. But when I grew up, I realized my father, that man I was saw as a powerful man---a flying man---was often pixelated, and lacked depth. I wondered why I feared him so much? And in a way, that's how I've developed Flying Man as a stage hazard. Personally I'm quite close to the character, and thus I find it difficult to include the 3D model."

Welp.

Watch Da Birdie

Oh yeah, Smash World leak is definitely fake.

He was posting on SmashBoards that he was behind the Tower of Smash leak, but there was a thread on /v/ about it when the Tower of Smash leaker, with tripcode, came out and said the Smash World guy was lying. So, the Smash World leaker is trying to capture the popularity of the Tower of Smash leak and work off of it, which in itself worked off SpainKiller's post.

So why is there a 3D and a 2D one in the pic?

Shrug, maybe it's a debug thing. Or from a different build. Or a fake someone decided to do for some reason, because I haven't seen anything but the picture with its caption in a vacuum. Who knows, I guess.

edit: For future reference and so everyone can see it, lurkers included, try looking in the social thread in the Smash 4 board on a forum you go to if you want to talk about Smash when you're Board.

that's how you do this sort of thing right

mrhej

5m9vua0sret.png

I love this so much.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Fake or not, these rumors have pushed me over the edge. I'm definitely getting a Wii U on black friday.

Realistically, how cheap do you think I can pick one up?

I doubt there will be any huge discounts on Black Friday, probably just bundle deals. If you're lucky, maybe $250 for the 3D World bundle somewhere. Most will probably be $300 with the 3D World bundle + one other game.

In terms of price alone I doubt anything will be cheaper than the $200 refurbs from Nintendo.

Masked Man

I said wow
Masahiro Sakurai said:
Q: Do you have any interesting shots from when the game was still in development?
A: Of course--I have plenty. Let's see...
The Flying Men you see on the 3DS' Magicant stage are animated as pixel art, we also created a polygonal model. However, the pixel art was easier on the 3DS' processor and it felt more Mother-esque, so we decided against using the polygonal model.

There you go! What a bummer... I would have loved to have 3D Flying Men! ;___;
(And, personally speaking, although I absolutely love pixel art, I think using polygonal models for the FM would have made more sense in this case considering that the Sky Runner and all other objects on the stage use 3D models.)

Golnei

The sprite looks better considering the rest of the stage's 2D elements, and blends in well with the nostalgic atmosphere. Keeping it 2D probably also made it stand out compared to the playable characters a lot more, especially on the 3DS.

Though as far as an interpretation of the design goes, it looks like a fairly good model; I like that they chose to use the ingame sprite as a base and not the original artwork. Hopefully it gets used in a trophy in the Wii U version.

Yeah, it'd be odd if they decide to totally scrap it instead of at least using it as a trophy.

Makes me wonder what other sort of stuff like that there is. I'm glad we learned about this, at least.

i don't think i'd be able to handle the mysterious appearance of a 3d chorus kids trophy in the wii u version

Watch Da Birdie

I find that interesting...I know a lot of people call out Sakurai for just using sprites instead of creating new 3D Models, but this suggest it's actually a purposeful aesthetic choice and not of laziness---at least not in this case.

If the Chorus Kids/Men ever are/were a playable a character at some point, I'm going to make an out-there guess and say they were going to be 2D, like Mr. Game & Watch.

Mostly because of the Sneaky Spirit enemy in Smash Run, but still. HAVE YOU GOT ANY BETTER IDEAS

I don't understand why they didn't try to make Ice Climbers into sprites.

Of all the characters in the game, they'd work best as sprites and it would help with the processing power, while being artistically pleasing and pretty cool.

There you go! What a bummer... I would have loved to have 3D Flying Men! ;___;
(And, personally speaking, although I absolutely love pixel art, I think using polygonal models for the FM would have made more sense in this case considering that the Sky Runner and all other objects on the stage use 3D models.)

Okey dokey.

If that's the case I would have just turned the Flying Man into another Mother AT.
Also because as a stage hazard it's awful.

Agreed.

Watch Da Birdie

Of all the characters in the game, they'd work best as sprites and it would help with the processing power, while being artistically pleasing and pretty cool.

I think making a full character a sprite is probably way harder to do, though. I mean, unlike ATs, player characters need to grab items, grab other characters, get grabbed, etc. Game and Watch works, but he's not actually a sprite, and has a round appearance. The blocky, sharp edges of Ice Climbers would probably be hard to make them look right.

Golnei

They may have already tried. But if the problem was mainly with the resources consumed by Nana's AI, no amount of visual simplification could have saved them. But if it were an option, I definitely would have taken 2D Ice Climbers over none at all.

If that's the case I would have just turned the Flying Man into another Mother AT.
Also because as a stage hazard it's awful.

That would have been the best option - MOTHER gets a slightly broader degree of representation, and Magicant becomes playable.

Considering Olimar's nerfs I still would've taken dumbed down versions of the IC. The main issue is they're essentially two AI's on one character slot, right? Because graphically they could've done a million different things, but if it's an AI issue they'd probably have to actively rework how they work or just put them to the side until next time.

My thought is they could use the additional processing power gained from sprite graphics to use for ai. Nana could also run at like 10fps and it wouldn't look ridiculous if they were sprites.

On the Wii U they could be more game and watch styled. But on the 3ds who cares if they're entirely 2d and look a little odd being grabbed.

I'm incredibly skeptical that the Flying Man picture is real, development leftovers or not. The Spring Palutena fake comes to mind.

Why fake such a comparitively boring image though? Internet I know but this will for most people be a "oh thats cool to know" and never look back.

Masked Man

I said wow
The sprite looks better considering the rest of the stage's 2D elements, and blends in well with the nostalgic atmosphere. Keeping it 2D probably also made it stand out compared to the playable characters a lot more, especially on the 3DS.

Though as far as an interpretation of the design goes, it looks like a fairly good model; I like that they chose to use the ingame sprite as a base and not the original artwork. Hopefully it gets used in a trophy in the Wii U version.

Yeah, I think that using a 2D model definitely helps the Flying Men stand out, especially in FFA matches. That said, I really like the model they used, and it's a shame we probably won't be seeing it used any time soon. :\

Also, what's with all the FM hate in Smash? I love those guys!

I'm incredibly skeptical that the Flying Man picture is real, development leftovers or not. The Spring Palutena fake comes to mind.

It's from Famitsu. We get copies at work, and I just checked--it's real. ;)

Caladrius

Yeah, I think that using a 2D model definitely helps the Flying Men stand out, especially in FFA matches. That said, I really like the model they used, and it's a shame we probably won't be seeing it used any time soon. :\

Also, what's with all the FM hate in Smash? I love those guys!

It's from Famitsu. We get copies at work, and I just checked--it's real. ;)

Oh, so it is real! Interesting. Is the translation that the 3D Flying Man was a development leftover also legit?

This is perfect.
I translated the Flying Man pic:
Welp.
This is going to be a thing isn't it? I don't mind, carry on.

Intelligent Systems needs to make a Paper Ice Climbers game first.
games_paperIceClimbers2.png

Not

Banned
Why is that Smash World thing getting any kind of attention at all

I'm not paying attention to "leaks" again until Nintendo takes the vs. match videos from them off youtube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom