• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would Ridley be worthy teasing as a stage boss when Ridley was a boss twice in Brawl already? Why not just casually show him, or not even mention him, like most other stage cameos, rather than teasing him several times?

I guess one could point to Metal Face in the Xenoblade trailer, but at least that was only once and it'd be a newcomer to the franchise, not just a returning npc in a similar role.

We all know Sakurai likes to hold out on and hide the weirdest things. Look at all the rest of the information he's drip-fed us. Things like menus and the Photo Studio are hardly groundbreaking, yet he made us wait to see those even longer than Ridley's shadow. There's absolutely no rhyme or reason to what Sakurai teases versus what he doesn't.

I still think it's hilarious how there's only a month left before the Wii U version and we still don't have explicit information on his boss appearance

If it really does turn out that Sakurai was hiding a playable Ridley behind the boss implication, then I'd...I dunno how I'd react to that (other than knowing that Sakurai is the greatest master troll of our time).

That would be amazing, I'll give you that. I'm 99% certain Ridley isn't playable and he's nothing more than a hazard/boss in Pyrosphere (which is all Sakurai has ever implied), but hey, if I'm wrong, it'll have been a glorious long con and I'll enjoy riding the hype wave (even if I'm not a Ridley fan myself).

Once I saw the shadow, I knew that was it. I was pretty surprised when I saw people using that shadow as evidence for his inclusion. I bet those few seconds of shadow have been analyzed about as much as the Patterson-Gimlin tape or the Zapruder film.

I'm not surprised. People get kinda mental when it comes to Ridley in Smash. :p

Watch Da Birdie
Watch Da Leaks

Ridley isn't a boss! Did anyone even look at the footage? The Ridley shown is way to small, its only about a little over double the size of Pikachu who is average size. Ridley is playable. And no, not as a boss. There won't be any playable bosses. I am 100% sure that both Ridley will he playable as connectivity or DLC characters. That is it. Ridley will be playable and you all will see. I will bet a CN game worth 200 coins on Ridley beng a real playable character.

I'm pretty sure Metal Face will be too since both Smash World and Special Order modes are known and theres no boss mode. MF won't be a stage hazard since he wasn't in 3DS version. The shared stages won't be different. I'll bet another 200 CN game that Metal Face will also be a character. Come at me Smashers.

I can't wait to be proven right. I have good track record. There is no chance for failure, because I am the very best at predictions, like noone ever was. To predict is my real test, to Ridley is my cause.

And I really am willing to bet, just not both at once. So if I'm wrong about MF I won't lose any coins.

Not sure if you're trolling or not, but if you're not, it's going to be very funny/interesting/awkward to see what you have to say if/when he's revealed as nothing more than a hazard or boss.

Watch Da Birdie
Watch Da Leaks
Watch Da Birdie → Little Birdie → Ridley
It all makes sense now. Baby Ridley confirmed!
puO7nzz.jpg

Ridley isn't a boss! Did anyone even look at the footage? The Ridley shown is way to small, its only about a little over double the size of Pikachu who is average size. Ridley is playable. And no, not as a boss. There won't be any playable bosses. I am 100% sure that both Ridley will he playable as connectivity or DLC characters. That is it. Ridley will be playable and you all will see. I will bet a CN game worth 200 coins on Ridley beng a real playable character.

I'm pretty sure Metal Face will be too since both Smash World and Special Order modes are known and theres no boss mode. MF won't be a stage hazard since he wasn't in 3DS version. The shared stages won't be different. I'll bet another 200 CN game that Metal Face will also be a character. Come at me Smashers.

I can't wait to be proven right. I have good track record. There is no chance for failure, because I am the very best at predictions, like noone ever was. To predict is my real test, to Ridley is my cause.

And I really am willing to bet, just not both at once. So if I'm wrong about MF I won't lose any coins.
I thought you were joking about this, until I saw the Club Nintendo coin offer. You say he's "twice the size of Pikachu," but he does pick up Pickachu. In his claws. Which do not make up half of his body size.
sakurai please
Out of curiosity; has anyone asked about Ridley yet? It seems inevitable.

Why would Ridley be worthy teasing as a stage boss when Ridley was a boss twice in Brawl already? Why not just casually show him, or not even mention him, like most other stage cameos, rather than teasing him several times?

I guess one could point to Metal Face in the Xenoblade trailer, but at least that was only once and it'd be a newcomer to the franchise, not just a returning npc in a similar role.
Why make characters like Wario secret? Sakurai is an odd duck.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It seems like Metal Face was cut from the 3DS...the bottom gap in Xenoblade definitely seems like there should be something there, and it's literally the only non-BF/Final Destination without a single hazard or interactive element. That's weird.

Jawmuncher

It seems like Metal Face was cut from the 3DS...the bottom gap in Xenoblade definitely seems like there should be something there, and it's literally the only non-BF/Final Destination without a single hazard or interactive element. That's weird.

Definitely makes sense. That odd gap is just so jarring.
It really does makes sense that he should be there.

Watch Da Birdie

Definitely makes sense. That odd gap is just so jarring.
It really does makes sense that he should be there.

Gaur Plains seems really rushed. The level's quite ugly in my opinion, and none of the music is remixed, also once more it's the only new level that doesn't have any original music created for it.

That would be amazing, I'll give you that. I'm 99% certain Ridley isn't playable and he's nothing more than a hazard/boss in Pyrosphere (which is all Sakurai has ever implied), but hey, if I'm wrong, it'll have been a glorious long con and I'll enjoy riding the hype wave (even if I'm not a Ridley fan myself).
No hard-on for dragons.
I'm not surprised. People get kinda mental when it comes to Ridley in Smash. :p
People picked up details the 'old analysis machine' didn't catch. When are you guys getting a new one? I'm pretty sure you guys have worn it out after feeding it so much Smash footage. Are they expensive?
/s
It seems bigger in the Wii U version, and it also seemed like it scrolled. I wonder how different it will be.

Watch Da Birdie

Actually, I take that back, Tomodachi Life doesn't have any necessarily interactive elements or hazards---but I'd argue it's got a unique visual gimmick that Gaur Plains lacks.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Well to be honest there aren't that many boss fights in the game. You could count them all on one hand.

One could say Sakurai only talked about the Yellow Devil was because it was in the 3DS version and there was no way around it.

Master Core was a neat secret find though

Ryce

I've been stuck at 663 trophies for the past few days. I'm not getting anything new in Trophy Rush, Smash Run, or the trophy shop. Urgh.

Gaur Plains does feel like it wasn't playtested properly. If Olimar spawns on the bottom left platform all of the Pikmin he plucks in his entrance fall directly into the abyss.

And that ceiling is way too low. Like, Captain Falcon shouldn't be killing people with an up-throw at 77%.

Gaur Plains seems really rushed. The level's quite ugly in my opinion, and none of the music is remixed, also once more it's the only new level that doesn't have any original music created for it.

You know, I can't help but look at this fact, Shulk's moveset, and the other stuff he brought, and think that all of his stuff has been more an afterthought than anything.
Like, the only trophies he has are his own model twice, Riki and Dunban. The Assist Trophy is really lazy (just random status effects in an area), he has no enemies in SmashRun despite being from an RPG with countless enemies, no remixed music, the stage seems really rushed and badly designed, and, I know I'll get a lot of flak for this, but I think Shulk's moveset is extremely bland.
All of the sword fighters in Smash Bros. have their own flavor and feel different (except for the clones of course, but they're clones so it's to be expected), yet you have a "unique" character in Shulk who doesn't really feel unique at all. His moves all seem fairly basic, and his only mechanic is changing his stats, which is super easy to implement. Compared to the other fighters - especially the other non-clone newcomers in this game - Shulk feels really basic.

Watch Da Birdie

Well, no Xenoblade enemies didn't really surprise me---a lot of them don't really fit the requirement of being humanoid, or spherical, enough, plus none of them are that memorable compared to the other foes (random K.I. enemies are debatable, but they were easy to implement)---but I see your point.

I'm surprised they didn't give the Monado its own trophy. I mean, it's a huge part of the game, and would've been easy to do.

There are a couple things that are kind of goofily left out of the trophy selection, for how large it is.

Like... a lot of the transformational Final Smashes should have trophies as they're prominent enough to have one. I mean, yeah, there aren't any true Final Smash trophies like in Brawl, but the Three Sacred Treasures is a trophy, but a Landmaster? Giga Mac? Mega Charizard X is completely left out to dry?

Gaur Plains does feel like it wasn't playtested properly. If Olimar spawns on the bottom left platform all of the Pikmin he plucks in his entrance fall directly into the abyss.

And that ceiling is way too low. Like, Captain Falcon shouldn't be killing people with an up-throw at 77%.

ahaha must suck to be an Olimar main now

Well, no Xenoblade enemies didn't really surprise me---a lot of them don't really fit the requirement of being humanoid, or spherical, enough, plus none of them are that memorable compared to the other foes (random K.I. enemies are debatable, but they were easy to implement)---but I see your point.

I'm surprised they didn't give the Monado its own trophy. I mean, it's a huge part of the game, and would've been easy to do.

I've never played Xenoblade, so I wouldn't know, but I'm looking onto the wiki and see a metric boatload of cool enemy designs, including humanoid ones. Like these guys:
Spear_Tirkin.jpg

Shield_Igna.jpg

Ammos_Orluga.jpg

I would not have minded getting one of those instead of some of massive the amounts of KI or Brawl enemies. Heck you could've reskinned Stalfos or Darknut into that lizardman guy, just make him more nimble or something.

Golnei

I'm not quite sure why they didn't decide to include the Xenoblade Medley we know is in the Wii U version in the 3DS version too.

It might just not have been finished in time. Seeing as it was in Shulk's trailer as well, I'd thought they'd have included it if they could.

Not really - the random wildlife probably isn't sufficiently iconic, but any given Telethia or Mechon would have been distinctive enough, along with things like the Plasma Deinos.

Gleethor

I think the lack of xenoblade trophies is only because for the most part the 3DS trophy picks skew towards handheld games outside of things like playable characters, items, assist trophies and stage elements. Metroid has very few trophies that aren't smash run enemies or samus because there weren't any recent handheld metroids to take models from (I guess they didn't want to reuse the hunters trophies from brawl? idk) Xenoblade is now known to be coming to the new 3DS but maybe the dev team didn't know that when the trophy list was finalized, plus they barely reference any 2014 games as it is, I wouldn't expect them to reference one coming in 2015.

Watch Da Birdie
Watch Da Leaks

Your optimism gives me hope, but Metal Face? Really?

The way I see it, unless that character is playable, you should never tease a fan-favorite in anyway. No matter how obvious others think it may be.
Teasing that character just adds to speculation, and eventually, an angry fanbase.
Especially for a fanbase like Smash-fans.

The way I see it, unless that character is playable, you should never tease a fan-favorite in anyway. No matter how obvious others think it may be.
Teasing that character just adds to speculation, and eventually, an angry fanbase.

"Vs... Metal Metal Face!"

Golnei

"Vs... Metal Metal Face!"

It'd be less redundant in Japan, even though it'll sound considerably more awkward. I'd feel sorry for the announcer, in that case...

It makes more sense if you see it more as making a reference to an obscure series rather than teasing a popular character. If he had shown the silhouette of the Ultimate Chimera instead, would anyone interpret it as a playable character?

We already know of stages that differ between the two versions. The Wii U version of Wily Castle has different moving platforms that are not present in the 3DS version.

We also know that Gaur Plain is much larger in the Wii U version than it is in the 3DS version.

Your claim/idea is entirely off-base.

It makes more sense if you see it more as making a reference to an obscure series rather than teasing a popular character. If he had shown the silhouette of the Ultimate Chimera instead, would anyone interpret it as a playable character?

Wait, are you trying to say Metroid is obscure?

Looking at them right next to one another it does kind of seem like the 3DS Gaur Plain is a hastily scaled down version of the Wii U one. The stupid low ceiling makes absolutely no sense.

Dr. Buni

I would be a bit annoyed if Metal Face was playable instead of Fiora.

Also I disagree with the user who said Shulks moves seem fairly basic. I think most of his moves are quite unique, even without the stance change mechanic.

Anyways, after playing Mario Kart 8, this month of wait will be so long. I didn't know I wanted Smash HD but I do :eek:

EulaCapra

What disgusts me about Gaur Plains is that it's not a moving platform stage like Delfino Plaza and Skyloft. This was the stage that excited me the most of its potential.

No landmarks to travel, no creatures lurking in the background, no visual stimulants like waterfalls and wind gusting against grass, etc. The sheer size, scope, and epic feeling of Gaur Plains... is reduced to a gimmicky middle drop off and a static background.

Watch Da Birdie

I'm pretty sure that Nintendo probably has some sort of "ownership" of that particular voice, at least to the point he probably can't legally use it in a way that'd cause confusion as to what is an official product, i.e. his voice being used in a fanmod to say "RIDLEY!"

Golnei

Wait, are you trying to say Metroid is obscure?

Compared to other first-party series, certainly. Especially when its Japanese sales are taken into account. Perhaps 'cult' would have been a better term: a reasonable amount of people are aware it exists, but not too many care about it in the slightest.

He'd probably lose his job, or at least get in trouble, if he supports a fan mod I'd imagine to that extent.

He wouldn't be supporting mods directly - there's no reason to punish someone for reading out a few fan requests which are later used for nefarious purposes.

What disgusts me about Gaur Plains is that it's not a moving platform stage like Delfino Plaza and Skyloft. This was the stage that excited me the most of its potential.

No landmarks to travel, no creatures lurking in the background, no visual stimulants like waterfalls and wind gusting against grass, etc. The sheer size, scope, and epic feeling of Gaur Plains... is reduced to a gimmicky middle drop off and a static background.

For the 3DS, I can understand why they went with a static stage, but I agree that having the Wii U Xenoblade stage not be a travelling stage is a massive waste of potential. With such enormous environments, a static stage can't properly show off even one area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom