• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
4-5 characters per pack would be extremely generous unless they really space them out.

If it's a shorter time frame between each pack, I think 2 characters + 2 stages would work fine.
Not 4-5 characters per pack. 4-5 packs. Hyrule Warriors doesn't do a character a pack, one pack has 2, one has 1 and the other two have none. At best this game will probably only get 3-4 DLC characters. Characters are a huge deal in Smash.

Golnei

I really wouldn't lump Bass and Protoman in the same league as Dr. Luigi or PG Peach. They can stand as their own characters with unique abilities and personalities. Of course, clone or not, they'll never be roster character but still.

Regardless of how deserving a character is, I doubt we'll get more than one third party character from a given company; which is why having Bass/Protoman, Metal Sonic,
Big Boss
and Ms. Pacman as alts is a reasonable compromise.

Though they'll never be considered, of course.

4-5 characters per pack would be extremely generous unless they really space them out.

If it's a shorter time frame between each pack, I think 2 characters + 2 stages would work fine.

If it's anything like MK8 or Hyrule Warriors, it'll be 2-3 packs spread out over a year or so. In that case, 3-4 characters in each is relatively reasonable, especially if veterans and clones are included.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I honestly didn't care for most of the quests. The tasks at hand seemed dull and uninteresting most of the time. Like go kill x of these, or go find x of some thing. I'd accept them but rarely go out of the way to do them. I loved the idea of rebuilding the city, but I didn't want to open a guide and go hunt for tiny items all over the world.

What really was satisfying was just exploring. The world is filled with these cool little secret areas. They give you experience for finding them, but more importantly it feels like you found an exciting location. Not that you really do much in some of them.

I wasent super into the quests, I did some of them, alot of them by accident due to exploring and such, but the one quest i actively tried to do is rebuilding the city, its a really satisfying quest to do.

FSLink

Banned
Not 4-5 characters per pack. 4-5 packs. Hyrule Warriors doesn't do a character a pack, one pack has 2, one has 1 and the other two have none. At best this game will probably only get 3-4 DLC characters. Characters are a huge deal in Smash.

Misread the 4-5 packs part, but I meant "generous" as it'd be ridiculously nice, unrealistically so unless they pad them out with stuff like Dark Pit or are playing a SFxTekken and are sitting on some of the cast already finished (Considering it's Namco-Bandai + Nintendo we can assume this isn't the case)

I know most fighting games period don't get THAT much character DLC especially since characters are a big deal, I just think it'd be nice to have like 1 new character + 1 clone or something per pack.

Golnei

Misread the 4-5 packs part, but I meant "generous" as it'd be ridiculously nice, unrealistically so unless they pad them out with stuff like Dark Pit or are playing a SFxTekken and are sitting on some of the cast already finished (Considering it's Namco-Bandai + Nintendo we can assume this isn't the case)

I know most fighting games period don't get THAT much character DLC especially since characters are a big deal, I just think it'd be nice to have like 1 new character + 1 clone or something per pack.

Well, there are 6 unique characters, all reasonably popular in their own right, that didn't make the transition from Brawl. Depending on how much work was completed on them before they were scrapped, some of them could be a relatively easy addition to DLC packs - with those, along with clones and a few actual newcomers, it's plausible that the number of DLC characters might be quite high.

Though it's also possible that we'll get Pink Gold Peach and nothing else, of course.

Golnei

Dry Bowser is so plebeian.

Best alt is Meowser.

The best case scenario would be Dry Bowser and Meowser Jr.
super_bell_koopa_s_by_disfiguredstick-d7qez8a.jpg

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Actually fairly true; I experienced this right before entering Prison Island, having avoided the dull sidequests up to that point. Massive difficulty spike.

Oh yeah. I'm expèrencing this right now. They just become hard so I decided to grind and gained few levels.

Someone mentioned a Ms. Pac-Man alt earlier. Wasn't it speculated that it would've cost more to include her because Namco saw her as her own character?

emb

Why do you say that?
Probably based on:
Sakurai said:
Happy New Year! Pic of the day. There will be trophies in the 3DS and Wii U games, and each version will boast different types and models. The 3DS trophies will be mainly from handhelds and the Wii U version will feature trophies from the home-console games.

Also, we did hear this in relation to Kid Icarus Smash Run enemies, so it stands to reason that trophies were also easy to bring in:
NintendoEverything said:

georly

Someone mentioned a Ms. Pac-Man alt earlier. Wasn't it speculated that it would've cost more to include her because Namco saw her as her own character?

I doubt there was a charge to use Pac-man. Most likely was cross promotion.

It may not be money related. It's possible namco didn't want them to use her for any number of reasons. It's also possible sakurai didn't want to use her because she might diminish pac-man's impact, or any other reason.

There are tons of reasons, but I doubt it's money related. Could be IP protection, or that someone didn't feel like she'd be a good fit.

I think doing 1 clone, 1 stage, 1 character, 1 alt pack would work. make 4 of them and release every 3 months. Maybe throw in some recolors for some random characters as incentive to buy all 4.

The best case scenario would be Dry Bowser and Meowser Jr.
Now I really want those Koopalings alts.

Speaking of alts tho, no. I'd rather have clones. If they are alts, they aren't really characters imo plus they don't show up as their own icon in the stats page, which is annoying. No stats page, I am not playing as Olimar, I am playing as Alph damnit. The only alts that have ever made sense are male/female alts (but you should be able to customize the icon on stats and CSS.) and the Koopalings since they are always together. The Koopalings icon should just be the Koopa Car tho.

Also: Wow theres alot of faces in Xenoblade. O_O

georly

I think doing 1 clone, 1 stage, 1 character, 1 alt pack would work. make 4 of them and release every 3 months. Maybe throw in some recolors for some random characters as incentive to buy all 4.

Are you saying each pack should have 1 of each, or each pack should have all of them (a clone pack, a stage pack, etc)? If you're saying 1 of each, that's definitely the smarter approach.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For those who ask if that field was a generic one or from Xenoblade, I can confirm it is from Bionis' left foot.

Um So I am buying a WiiU in November for Smash but I was wondering about a few questions

1. Does the WiiU have 4 usb ports? ....I ask this since the Gamecube adapter will take two usb spots and my external usb storage will have a y cable for an additional 2 usb spots

2. Do you think there will be a bundle akin to the MK8 bundle we saw back in the spring?

EDIT: 3. I live in Canada and was wondering where I'd get some Gamecube controllers (other then the Smash Bundle)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, the Great Cave Offensive level...what do you think will be the unusual rule?

I remember the game's all about collecting treasure, so it'd be interesting if that was the unique Rule...like when playing Stock, it's whoever collects a certain amount of Treasure first (with strong attacks knocking the Treasures away), and with Time, it's collecting the most and expensive Treasures.

Don't know how they'd incorporate that into Classic though, maybe make it a MP-only stage?

TDLink

Probably based on:

Also, we did hear this in relation to Kid Icarus Smash Run enemies, so it stands to reason that trophies were also easy to bring in:

I suppose, but I still would be very surprised if there aren't a bunch of Kid Icarus Uprising trophies in the Wii U game.

For those who ask if that field was a generic one or from Xenoblade, I can confirm it is from Bionis' left foot.

That isn't an area in the game...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Um So I am buying a WiiU in November for Smash but I was wondering about a few questions

1. Does the WiiU have 4 usb ports? ....I ask this since the Gamecube adapter will take two usb spots and my external usb storage will have a y cable for an additional 2 usb spots

2. Do you think there will be a bundle akin to the MK8 bundle we saw back in the spring?

1. Two in the front and two in the back.
  2. Wait and see. For all we know a bundle may come out after the release date, so if you want it day one you may be better off not waiting and just buying one of the other bundles.

1. Yes, 2 in the front and two in the back.

2. Maybe, although I feel like it would've been announced by now. If they don't mention it in the direct, I would expect that it's not happening.

The best deal is a refurbished WiiU from Nintendo.com $199 and it includes Nintendoland and is a Premium model. If there's a Smash bundle it'll probably be $299 and won't include Nintendoland. So this gets you an extra game and saves you $40.

1. Two in the front and two in the back.
  2. Wait and see. For all we know a bundle may come out after the release date, so if you want it day one you may be better off not waiting and just buying one of the other bundles.
1. Yes, 2 in the front and two in the back.

2. Maybe, although I feel like it would've been announced by now. If they don't mention it in the direct, I would expect that it's not happening.

The best deal is a refurbished WiiU from Nintendo.com $199 and it includes Nintendoland and is a Premium model. If there's a Smash bundle it'll probably be $299 and won't include Nintendoland. So this gets you an extra game and saves you $40.

thanks

Do you happen to know I'd find some wired Gamecube controllers?

thanks

Do you happen to know I'd find some wired Gamecube controllers?

They will be manufacturing and selling new ones for Smash. So you should be able to find them in stores on the 21st. You can get the $99 Smash bundle which is Smash, a Gamecube Controller adapter, and one Gamecube Controller.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm going to wait and see on that GCN adapter. Hearing that Smash may be the only game to support it was a bit of a blow. Think I may finally consider getting a Pro Controller. Fairly used to playing it with the 3DS setup so no need for the GCN layout.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

EDIT: 3. I live in Canada and was wondering where I'd get some Gamecube controllers (other then the Smash Bundle)

Well, just hope that they would announce Wii U bundle at Smash U Direct in two days.

ALSO, if you live in the US and you're near a best buy, the bundles are still in stock, which include smash Wii U, the gamecube adapter, and one controller for 99.99, saving you 10 bucks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintend...ndle/7493005.p?id=1219270930488&skuId=7493005

7493005_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=360;canvasWidth=640

Already got it on preorder
They also do free shipping but you may or may not get one on launch day.

Well, just hope that they would announce Wii U bundle at Smash U Direct in two days.
I hope so too

Also
Oh one more last question

which would be a good external (usb only) hardrive for the WiiU

for the new page

Edit: Nevermind I found one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom