• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golnei

Olay. It would be very helpful if you elaborated, though. Are you telling me you really can rush through the entire game and not stop to grind quests even once, or is it more of a middle ground where you don't have to do everything but a little grinding is necessary?

It's trivially easy to be overleveled, due to the amount of sources EXP can be obtained from. Generally, you should accept sidequests whenever you see them, but not go out of your way to do them - most will autocomplete as you proceed normally. You'll probably only have to do a tiny bit of grinding, and even then probably just for one boss in the endgame.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Olay. It would be very helpful if you elaborated, though. Are you telling me you really can rush through the entire game and not stop to grind quests even once, or is it more of a middle ground where you don't have to do everything but a little grinding is necessary?

Doing quest makes gaining experience "easier", but remember, not all quests give EXP and some give little so you don't have to do them all. Also it is fairly easy to know what level you need to be at by just checking enemy levels in an area. You can easily just level up the traditional way by fighting enemies. In fact most of the time my level went up from discovering new areas since that tends to give you a chunk of EXP.

You'll probably only have to do a tiny bit of grinding, and even then probably just for one boss in the endgame.
Worst comes to the worst, that end boss will give you EXP as you fight it so even if you die you'll be a bit stronger so you can keep grinding it until you eventually beat it.

So is the upcoming show on Thursday (or Friday morning my time) meant to be a Direct or not? The link on the Australian smash site defaults to the Nintendo Direct URL, but I'm getting mixed messages from the tweets and press-releases about what it's meant to be exactly.

Hoping it's at least substantial
and proves Spainkiller's source true

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So is the upcoming show on Thursday (or Friday morning my time) meant to be a Direct or not? The link on the Australian smash site defaults to the Nintendo Direct URL, but I'm getting mixed messages from the tweets and press-releases about what it's meant to be exactly.

Hoping it's at least substantial
and proves Spainkiller's source true

It's basucally a Direct under another name.

Dr. Buni

I wonder if we're gonna get profiles for unrevealed characters tomorrow or if they're holding out for the direct.

59 hours to go!
If Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt don't have trailers, I guess they are 'revealing' Bowser Jr. before the Direct. I am still hoping they have trailers, though.

K-A-Deman

inMCgLCOtcdkH.gif
I will be using this .GIF almost exclusively until Friday at the earliest.

I wonder if maybe they cut Metal Face as a boss after the negative reaction to Yellow Devil at E3.

He doesn't seem like a boss there, his model is more or less just ripped.

Also quickest bet loss ever? He's obviously not a playable character (not that there was ever a chance) since they don't just reveal playable characters as random model ripped trophies

Kjellson

I gotta admit something...

Remember this?

image_63601_thumb_wide610.jpg

When it was shown, I actually thought that Captain Rainbow had a decent chance of being playable.

I wonder if maybe they cut Metal Face as a boss after the negative reaction to Yellow Devil at E3.

Also quickest bet loss ever? He's obviously not a playable character (not that there was ever a chance) since they don't just reveal playable characters as random model ripped trophies
It could also be that boss trophies are just renders of older games due to the scaling had to be changed.
We shall see though!

Edit: It could also be new renders, but not much has changed. After all, Little Mac and Shulk have the same base model which was used to debate the ESRB leak.

georly

I can't tell if that background is a generic plains/river background or if it's supposed to be from somewhere in xenoblade. I think it's generic, but if someone can prove otherwise, it'd be nice to know.

zlCfzSkWOHsDxfNqZv

Pic of the day. The trophies from the Xenoblade series can be found mostly in the Wii U version. Here's Melia looking the other way.

Lol at metal face retextured while the other use the same textures as the orginal.
If the trailer was not a total indication that metal face appears as a boss.

Its a pity, would have loved that Shulk's final smash had the other 2 companions at random you could get, so the rest of the team would be in the game.
And give them some excuse to add some Jenna Coleman voice clips to the game lol

What? Just look at the textures and compare them to the ones of silver face (let alone Reyn and Melia that are even more obvious). Its clear that the model is retouched.

What? Just look at the textures and compare them to the ones of silver face (let alone Reyn and Melia that are even more obvious). Its clear that the model is retouched.

I spent some time looking, they seem almost the same to me?
Just at a slightly higher resolution. This is from Dolphin I assume, and the textures in the trophy look cleaner, but so do quite a few trophies that are just model rips with minor touch ups.

georly

not true at all

Actually fairly true; I experienced this right before entering Prison Island, having avoided the dull sidequests up to that point. Massive difficulty spike.

Yeah I tried running through the game to beat it in 2 weeks before smash 3DS came out and around prison island or so, i'd die too frequently on bosses. I had to stop and do some quests before I could move on. Not too bad though.

And I mean I literally did zero quests up until that point. straight through to all markers, evading many enemies along the way. Only fighting when I had to. I died many times getting to prison island. Thank goodness there's no real death penalty in the game.

Remember there's a mode where characters turn gold. And an item where characters turn metal.

[In announcer voice] "Captain falcon VERSUS Metal Metal-Face!"

Dr. Buni

I really need to finish Xenoblade one of these days. Looking at Metal Face's model in Smash is kind of hyping me to play it again

emb

Yeah I tried running through the game to beat it in 2 weeks before smash 3DS came out and around prison island or so, i'd die too frequently on bosses. I had to stop and do some quests before I could move on. Not too bad though.

And I mean I literally did zero quests up until that point. straight through to all markers, evading many enemies along the way. Only fighting when I had to. I died many times getting to prison island. Thank goodness there's no real death penalty in the game.
I mostly just ran through it too. I remember having to stop a while and grind at the end of Agniratha and Melia's temple thing. Maybe another 1 or 2 bosses. For the most part though, exploring to find places, plus the sidequests that get done accidentally are enough to keep you experienced.

What a shit way to play Xenoblade. Running around exploring and doing everything but the main quest is 99% of what makes it so good.

georly

I mostly just ran through it too. I remember having to stop a while and grind at the end of Agniratha and Melia's temple thing. Maybe another 1 or 2 bosses. For the most part though, exploring to find places, plus the sidequests that get done accidentally are enough to keep you experienced.

Yeah, no need to grind, just do some quests. That said, if anyone has the time, do the quests, they're mostly rewarding on their own. Fun to do and they make the world seem real, seem lived in. You'll also end up getting most, if not all of the items you need for the city-building minigame, which was pretty great. I love city-restoration quests in games.

What a shit way to play Xenoblade. Running around exploring and doing everything but the main quest is 99% of what makes it so good.

I had played 40 hours before, the real way, and made it to about prison island or so. Explored everything, did every quest I could find. Then i ended up not finishing the game. It wasn't my first time through, though. I'm slowly playing it again on new game plus to fully explore the 2nd half of the game.

Had to finish it before smash and running right through was the only way I had time for. I had 2 full weekends and then like 2-3-ish hours each work night, so it was the only way to do it on time. I fully realize on what I missed out on, but I don't regret it.

I don't recommend anyone play it the way I did. Not unless you've already played and explored beforehand. Just don't feel guilty if you don't do ALL the quests. Pick up the ones you see, do a few as you encounter them, explore some secret areas, it's very rewarding.

georly

My feeling is that if you didn't put at least 100 hours into Xenoblade you didn't actually play the game... /shades

I've now put in 100 hours over the course of my first 'failed' playthrough where I put in 40 hours and only made it halfway, then my second playthrough of 40 hours where I ran straight through and beat it, and now i'm 20 hours into my new game plus, where i'm doing EVERY SINGLE QUEST (using a guide to make sure I don't miss any), and I'm just now finishing Bionis's leg :p

Only one month now until we can play Smash 4 with a controller. ^_^

Unless the announce a demo on thursday ;p

(For some reason I don't think we're getting a smash Wii U demo, but if we do, it'll be like Nov 18, similar to how japan's demo came out 3 days before release).

Akai

I've now put in 100 hours over the course of my first 'failed' playthrough where I put in 40 hours and only made it halfway, then my second playthrough of 40 hours where I ran straight through and beat it, and now i'm 20 hours into my new game plus, where i'm doing EVERY SINGLE QUEST (using a guide to make sure I don't miss any), and I'm just now finishing Bionis's leg :p

I meant in a single play-through, of course! Enjoy the rest of your real play-through!

georly

I meant in a single play-through, of course! Enjoy the rest of your real play-through!

While I admit that exploring and doing quests is way more satisfying and makes the game much better, running right through isn't awful either. It helped me keep track of the story because story cutscenes happened frequently, rather than story > 10 hours of exploring > story. So if you only want to play for story, don't skip ALL quests, but don't get too sidetracked either. I'd say 60 hours is reasonable for an 'ok' playthrough mixing story and sidequests evenly.

Not everyone has time to 100% a game, even if they want to, and that's ok.

While I admit that exploring and doing quests is way more satisfying and makes the game much better, running right through isn't awful either. It helped me keep track of the story because story cutscenes happened frequently, rather than story > 10 hours of exploring > story. So if you only want to play for story, don't skip ALL quests, but don't get too sidetracked either. I'd say 60 hours is reasonable for an 'ok' playthrough mixing story and sidequests evenly.

I ran through Skyrim the first time I played it simply because I was more excited to save the world than collect 20 Deathbell.

The last few pages look like some kind of classified document.

Oh man, I just realized the WiiU version will probably have a Metal Face trophy
WiiU version trophy gallery >>> 3DS version trophy gallery
Metal Face tonight.
zlCfzSkWOHsDxfNqZv

Pic of the day. The trophies from the Xenoblade series can be found mostly in the Wii U version. Here's Melia looking the other way.
Prophets are rising.

I've been taking self-taught drawing lessons for a little longer than a month now. In commemoration of the Smash Direct announcement, I wanted to tackle a tutorial for a veteran Smasher tonight!
Lemme tell ya, dinosaurs are much easier to draw than humans! :p Now, to try and draw The Captain!
...Falcon, sorry my good GAF user
That's awesome! Well done!

It shouldn't be too hard to draw me. First, start with a circle. Then draw the rest of me.

That's not a hard, fast rule, though. People enjoy games in different ways. Some people may find themselves more attached to the main story than everything else. I certainly did; the other stuff bored me to death and is the main reason I abandoned it.

My feeling is that if you didn't put at least 100 hours into Xenoblade you didn't actually play the game... /shades

That's not always realistic, though. Not all of us have the free time to put 100 hours into a single. I sure wish I did, but games that require you put 100 hours into them to be enjoyable are pretty much off my radar because I can't put that kind of time into any one video game these days. I feel like I would have devoured Xenoblade when I was younger and had so much free time. :(

You joke, but I guarantee you that if we get DLC characters, we will get a few "lazy" ones like this. I mean in MK8 we're getting TANOOKI MARIO and CAT PEACH. For every Chorus Men, we will get one Dr. Luigi.

Those at least require different models.

... Aaaaand 3/4 of the way through Thread 17.

emb

I honestly didn't care for most of the quests. The tasks at hand seemed dull and uninteresting most of the time. Like go kill x of these, or go find x of some thing. I'd accept them but rarely go out of the way to do them. I loved the idea of rebuilding the city, but I didn't want to open a guide and go hunt for tiny items all over the world.

What really was satisfying was just exploring. The world is filled with these cool little secret areas. They give you experience for finding them, but more importantly it feels like you found an exciting location. Not that you really do much in some of them.

You joke, but I guarantee you that if we get DLC characters, we will get a few "lazy" ones like this. I mean in MK8 we're getting TANOOKI MARIO and CAT PEACH. For every Chorus Men, we will get one Dr. Luigi.

If Dry Bowser is anything like his previous appearances, he'll just be as much work as Cat Peach is. He's generally just a model swap, using most of his animations from Bowser.

Speaking of which, Dry Bowser would make a cool alt for Bowser.

NeonZ

Depends on whether we'll get DLC packs or the content sold individually. If it's individually, I think pretty much every character will need to be unique. If it's sold in packs though, then, new clones are very likely as filler, both due to not needing as many resources and also due to not having much effect on the game balance.

emb

If Dry Bowser is anything like his previous appearances, he'll just be as much work as Cat Peach is. He's generally just a model swap, using most of his animations from Bowser.

Speaking of which, Dry Bowser would make a cool alt for Bowser.
It's so obvious, and such a nice idea that Nintendo will never go for it.

At least they managed to get Metroid most of his suits and make the fierce diety playable. Not realized perfectly, but included nonetheless.

I think rather than clones, the idea of alts will be explored more in DLC. Really for characters who have no chance of ever making the roster on their own, like the Koopalings. If a character is strong enough to stand on their own, but needs to be a clone, they'll be a clone. But for folks like Bass, Protoman, Dry Bowser, Metal Mario, PG Peach, Dr Luigi, Ms Pac Man, etc, they can't really stand on their own as characters and don't really deserve to be characters and will work fine as DLC alts.

And I think everything will be sold in packs. Probably 4 or 5 of them for 20 dollars. Hyrule Warriors, Mario Golf and Mario Kart all worked in packs. All three also have a bonus for owning all of the packs, which I think is where a minor alt reskin like Metal Mario could work

It's so obvious, and such a nice idea that Nintendo will never go for it.

At least they managed to get Metroid most of his suits and make the fierce diety playable. Not realized perfectly, but included nonetheless.

:\

You know what's obvious to me? Super Mario Galaxy 3.

I really wouldn't lump Bass and Protoman in the same league as Dr. Luigi or PG Peach. They can stand as their own characters with unique abilities and personalities. Of course, clone or not, they'll never be roster character but still.

FSLink

Banned

I don't think there's anything wrong with this as long as they have some decent differences like Mario/Dr. Mario and not like Pit/Dark Pit and are bundled with a fully fledged character since I don't think many people would be happy paying for something like Ms. Pacman alone. :p

I'd rather have clones than alts if they provide a different playstyle. (So...less Pit/Dark Pit, more Mario/Dr. Mario, Pikachu/Pichu, Link/Toon Link, etc.)

And I think everything will be sold in packs. Probably 4 or 5 of them for 20 dollars. Hyrule Warriors, Mario Golf and Mario Kart all worked in packs. All three also have a bonus for owning all of the packs, which I think is where a minor alt reskin like Metal Mario could work

4-5 characters per pack would be extremely generous unless they really space them out.

If it's a shorter time frame between each pack, I think 2 characters + 2 stages would work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom