• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

georly

i've always liked how the melee metroid stages have bits of recognizable metroid imagery scattered about them but in totally nonsensical location and function

i really don't know what they were going for with those stages lol

It'd be really hard to pull an actual location from any of the previously released metroid games, as they were mostly all long/narrow/tall corridors. They really could have done a better job of making it FEEL like it was pulled from a metroid game, rather than inspired by one... kinda.

georly

i just really love the tiny metroid doors stapled to the ground in brinstar depths a lot

anyways i want norfair depths with crocomire stage boss

Would be so good ;_; Sadly, it'd probably be a walk off (on the left). Crocomire would just keep walking until he pushed you off the screen.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
i3IQuyU7F3AoA.png

Considering the textures are redone it's odd that they still seem to be low quality. If you didn't have the comparison you may be mistaken to think they were the original textures.

georly

『Inaba Resident』;135319642 said:
Doesn't the ehop update on thursdays? I feel like we could get a demo after the direct but at the same time, i feel like its too early for that.

I am on the same page as you. Perfect time too announce it, still too early. I'm assuming The thur before launch at the earliest. Nov 14ish.

I'm just glad Onett's back, but yeah, the split between high-res/smeary shit is really weird. From what we've seen of Temple, it seems they've completely redone the textures and the like so I wish the same was applied here.

And I didn't realize how pale Ness was in SSBU until just now.

Brawl had the somewhat out of place, high res Falcon Flyer on Big Blue with all the low res N-64 model rips from F-Zero X.

So it's not anything terribly new for the series.

I have mixed feelings on if Big Blue should return. I'd rather have Port Town, but I think Mute City will be the Wii U level as well, and two levels with roughly the same theme might be worse than Big Blue's fairly unique theme for an F-Zero map.

Why are you so obsessed with GameXplain? I swear I seen this same post from you like five times by now.
Obsessed? No, I like making jokes about GameXplain videos because Andre and the gang seem to do discussion and analysis videos for just about everything, within hours of the original news going up.
I'm pretty sure Andre's thought process upon seeing news goes like this:
"I must discuss this as soon as possible" → "Wow, what an interesting piece of information"

Remember that time they spent twenty minutes discussing the GameBoy stage POTD that barely showed anything? Or when Andre had a discussion by himself?
It's not exactly an original joke - I remember seeing a Bingo Board for the Smash Direct (April) where one of the tiles was "GameXplain Discussion right after."

GameXplain is great though, even if the sub box gets filled with dozens of videos after each Nintendo Direct. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Kangi

On the subject of Ness' model:

SSB4's model looks closer to the N64 version and for that I think I like it. Brawl's was probably closer to the original (the render even has him posing like the clay model), but it came across as iterative on that ugly Melee model (granted, most Melee models look rather ugly now), just with weird psuedo-realistic pants.

I just don't understand removing the blush. The blush is a MOTHER staple.

Mr Buddy

Apologies if already posted or if this doesn't belong here, but project m just released a new video for 3.5.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=1auK5xMlwrI

Among ocarina of time alts for Ganondorf and zelda, they are completely remaking the original hyrule castle stage from n64. Looks pretty good to me.

i can't wait until Saffron City is redone

Hello.

Banned
On the subject of Ness' model:

SSB4's model looks closer to the N64 version and for that I think I like it. Brawl's was probably closer to the original (the render even has him posing like the clay model), but it came across as iterative on that ugly Melee model (granted, most Melee models look rather ugly now), just with weird psuedo-realistic pants.

I just don't understand removing the blush. The blush is a MOTHER staple.

If I remember correctly, his model in Smash 4 is mostly based on an official clay model created by Itoi, and it didn't have the blush, so I guess they decided to remove it.

Azure J

Apologies if already posted or if this doesn't belong here, but project m just released a new video for 3.5.

Among ocarina of time alts for Ganondorf and zelda, they are completely remaking the original hyrule castle stage from n64. Looks pretty good to me.

That redone Hyrule Castle 64 is kinda what I expected returning stages to be like after Melee. :lol

Kangi

If I remember correctly, his model in Smash 4 is mostly based on an official clay model created by Itoi, and it didn't have the blush, so I guess they decided to remove it.
MOTHER 2 clay model had the blush. Brawl one was based on it, even down to the pose.

I guess in a way the SSB4 one is closer to the lankier EarthBound one, but that also had the blush, if faint. Removing the blush was likely born of the same reason for changing the shirt: streamlining. I just find one of these a bad change and the other fine.

Are those Smash Balls? I thought the purpose of Project M was to remove fun randomness.

I'm actually certain Ness's model is based off of those Mother 2 figurines that came out in Japan a few years back.

m2fc2_title.jpg

There's some distinct similarities.

Fandangox

In the subject of Mother, I feel like if I could chose a single "grunt" enemy from any series (goombas, waddle dees, koopas) to be in smash, I'd chose the Pigmasks. They were so funny and I pretty much consider them the "Face" of Mother 3 in an odd way.

I've been thinking a bit about Lucas as an alt to Ness and I don't think it will ever happen

One of the reasons Doctor Mario is how he is in Smash 4 is because Sakurai felt his fans would be disappointed if he was just a Mario alt that used Fludd and had Fireball like Pills, so he put in the effort to return him to his melee style.

This makes me think he wouldn't add Lucas as an alt for Ness. He'd think it would disappoint fans of Lucas and if he was going to put Lucas in at all, he'd do him right and make his standard moves different from Ness, like in Brawl.

Man, oh man. Never cared for Project M, but that new Hyrule Castle... It's EXACTLY what I wish Sakurai would do with the old 64 stages.

Eh, not a fan. They've done some great work with the alt costumes but that Zelda rubs me the wrong way.

Axass

Man, oh man. Never cared for Project M, but that new Hyrule Castle... It's EXACTLY what I wish Sakurai would do with the old 64 stages.

Seriously, I'm considering the mod for the first time just for that. That remade castle is beautiful. Hyrule Castle is my second most loved stage in Smash's history (after Sector Z).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
ALSO, if you live in the US and you're near a best buy, the bundles are still in stock, which include smash Wii U, the gamecube adapter, and one controller for 99.99, saving you 10 bucks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintend...ndle/7493005.p?id=1219270930488&skuId=7493005

7493005_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=360;canvasWidth=640

They also do free shipping but you may or may not get one on launch day.

It's lame Best Buy seems to have predetermined allotments per store. I can't preorder at my local store because they are sold out, but it appears to be available at every other store within like 150 miles.

Its a new leak time! I dunno if I can post url to 4chan so I'll just post the basics. The 4chan posts goes into some more details but dunno if I can post it and I can't copy and paste the post on my iPad 1 sadly.

-Spainkiller is already dead.
-But there are 4 WiiU launch characters for free. One week later as paid DLC for 3DS. (As a 3DS main I take offence to this.)
-Ridley, Metal Face, and Yellow Devil are bosses. (Obviously fake, Metal Face not getting in would be a bigger wtf than Mario getting cut.)
-The 4 new characters are: Mewtwo who shares a couple more moves with Lucario like counter but is still pretty unique.
-Bandana Dee who can die easily.
-Vaati who uses dark and wind magic. Around the same size as Toon Link.
-Cranky Kong, who is the slowest character in the game. Has 8Bit Barrel side special. Final Smash is Arcade DK. (75M cut?)

I would like both Dee and Vaati, and would gladly pay 200 coins for them, Mewtwo might be cool aswell but I never played him much so I dunno if I'll like his moveset. Most likely wouldn't like Cranky since I hate slow characters but still sounds like a neat addition. It actually might make sense for Mewtwo to be more like Lucario now that I thought about it since "its hard" to import Melee data, so its sorta like a newcomer when it comes to developing it maybe(?)

Do what are your thoughts on this wonderful leak? You basically have no reason to deny it. :) (Now I want Vaati damnit.)

Ryce

That's not even worth entertaining. Vaati. Ha. He's one of those obscure old news characters that only a few people on the Internet care about.

Its a new leak time! I dunno if I can post url to 4chan so I'll just post the basics. The 4chan posts goes into some more details but dunno if I can post it and I can't copy and paste the post on my iPad 1 sadly.

-But there are 4 WiiU launch characters for free. One week later as paid DLC for 3DS. (As a 3DS main I take offence to this.)
-Ridley, Metal Face, and Yellow Devil are bosses. (Obviously fake, Metal Face not getting in would be a bigger wtf than Mario getting cut.)
-The 4 new characters are: Mewtwo who shares a couple more moves with Lucario like counter but is still pretty unique.
-Cranky Kong, who is the slowest character in the game. Has 8Bit Barrel side special. Final Smash is Arcade DK. (75M cut?)

I would like both Dee and Vaati, and would gladly pay 200 coins for them, Mewtwo might be cool aswell but I never played him much so I dunno if I'll like his moveset. Most likely wouldn't like Cranky since I hate slow characters but still sounds like a neat addition. It actually might make sense for Mewtwo to be more like Lucario now that I thought about it since "its hard" to import Melee data, so its sorta like a newcomer when it comes to developing it maybe(?)

Do what are your thoughts on this wonderful leak? You basically have no reason to deny it. :) (Now I want Vaati damnit.)

No

Sometimes I wish one of these crackpot fabrications would come true just to baffle everyone.
Me too. We can still hold out for the Emolga and DKJR one.

Tho I guess a crackpot character would be the Koopa Car which is in. Which is funny since I thought about it and Koopalings every now and then. (Tho I was thinking of the big Koopa Car with all eight in at once haha.)

You can screenshot the 4chan post.

4chan's long history of fabricating stuff is the only reason anyone needs to discredit rumors from /v/ without hesitation.

why was vaati brought up so often in the brawl days anyways

between being a (primarily) handheld character from (primarily) outsourced entries in the series, and the fact that even back around brawl it was pretty apparent that he had no future... why

Zubz

Banned

Ha! I actually kinda like that Final Smash for Cranky Kong. I mean, obviously, there's not even a chance this isn't pure lies, but still, I like that 1 concept.

Hatchtag

Banned
why was vaati brought up so often in the brawl days anyways

between being a (primarily) handheld character from (primarily) outsourced entries in the series, and the fact that even back around brawl it was pretty apparent that he had no future... why

to be fair, neither ganondorf or vaati have appeared in a non-remake since Brawl :p.
Anyways, Mewtwo having counter isn't gonna happen. I do think if Mewtwo returned, his Side B and Down B would be replaced, but I don't think it'd be with counter.

AdanVC

Anyone see this comparison of Onett in Brawl and Smash 4?

8a5.gif

I love the look and feel of the Wii U version. I've never liked the "realistic" graphical approach in Brawl because the overall color palette in Brawl looks kinds brownish I guess?? I'm glad that's totally gone on the Wii U version. Looks crisp and colorful as hell <3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom