• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimmle

What a shit way to play Xenoblade. Running around exploring and doing everything but the main quest is 99% of what makes it so good.

Given my experience with attempting to rush the game, I guess I agree. I realized I was no longer having fun at the point where luring enemies away from groups became necessary for survival.

Which did you pick, I may be picking up a hard drive soon, but I'll need one that only uses 1 usb port (2 for gamecube, 1 for wired adapter), so either external power or just magically works with one USB.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00698JPIA/

this guy right here
61XsxEII75L._SL1500_.jpg

got it from this Kotaku article
http://kotaku.com/the-best-external-hard-drives-for-your-wii-u-1616444509

needs a y cable seeing (two usb ports) as it is usb only.... there are power cable ones too in that article that likely only uses one usb prt

A lot of people use the Toshiba variant

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I hate the 3DS so much for blocking my HD dream of these guys
I bet the options are either no Xenoblade port at all or port for the New 3DSs. A HD port would require far more work since they'd have to clean up all the textures, vs batch shrinking them for the 3DS release.

georly

No, but there's a good chance Sakurai is saving those two final newcomers for the Direct on Thursday.

We're still missing game and watch and jigglypuff. But yes, I think the 2 newcomers will make their HD debut on the DIRECT on thursday. Hopefully via CG trailer.
(I'm still calling it a direct, I don't care what anyone else says)

Berordn

We're still missing game and watch and jigglypuff. But yes, I think the 2 newcomers will make their HD debut on the DIRECT on thursday. Hopefully via CG trailer.

FIFTY WII U FACTS

facts 1-49: this is not a nintendo direct
fact 50:
ice climbers died for 3ds sins

Veeboy

Speaking of which does anyone have any Idea what sets this apart from the other directs which would lead to it not being labeled a direct. Like, what are we expecting other than 50 Wii u smash facts?

I personally am expecting something closer to the MK8 direct if this thing is any different than previous directs.

georly

Speaking of which does anyone have any Idea what sets this apart from the other directs which would lead to it not being labeled a direct. Like, what are we expecting other than 50 Wii u smash facts?

I personally am expecting something closer to the MK8 direct if this thing is any different than previous directs.

Maybe it has no central host? Directs are typically hosted. Maybe nintendo is just shying away from the term 'direct,' like how they didn't call 3ds downloadable games 3ds-ware after the dsi had dsi-ware. Just a rebranding.

Hatchtag

Banned
If there's a limited edition smash wii u or anything, they better announce it Thursday. I'd be pissed if I thought it was safe to buy a wii u and then they announced one later.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If there's a limited edition smash wii u or anything, they better announce it Thursday. I'd be pissed if I thought it was safe to buy a wii u and then they announced one later.
Aren't they just selling already manufactured units? The most you can hope for is a bit of decoration on the GamePad.

RomanceDawn

Ridley will be playable, a stage hazard, an assist trophy, a boss after Master Core, and the new announcer! This guy means big things for Smash! Count on it!

I'm still waiting for the inevitable GameXplain video where Andre does an in-depth 20 minute analysis of the Onett stage, showing off his ideas for how it can be different.

I want the bundle, but I pre-ordered just the game at Best Buy during the Smash-Fest thing and I'm supposed to get a coin when i pick it up. Anyone in the same situation able to change it and still keep the coin?

Onett in SSBU looks really off--it's half really high resolution new textures and half old smeary garbage from 2001.

Like a bunch of things in the background got updated textures, but the white building in front looks identical. I'm not sure I like this kind of half-and-half look.

Clean image time. Yesterday:

daily-en_20141020_dto68.jpg
daily-jp_20141020_8hop2.jpg

Today:
daily-en_20141021_g8pm5.jpg

So apparently some fool named Ritchie dared to take me up on my Metal Face bet. So i sent him this pm:

Do you think he will fully 100% commit to this here bet? If he does, man its a free game! I mean there is no way I can lose...right? RIGHT?!
This is the part where you nod. Chapter 17: The Part Where You Nod. Trophy Unlocked: The Part Where Everyone Nods.
Oh come on. I proposed an avatar bet with you like a month ago and you totally ignored me. I even made the avatar already and everything. This isn't fair >:I

Some additional fun, non-spoilery facts:

Xord is also known as Bronze Face. I'm not 100% sure the name is ever used in-game, although I swear I recall Reyn talking about "that bronze-faced idiot" at least once.

Going the other direction, something the URLs up there kinda spoil: Silver Face and Gold Face have special names. Silver Face is "Face Nemesis", whereas Gold Face is "Yaldabaoth".

You might have noticed this, but the color in front of "Face" is determined by the color of the metal making up most of their body... except for Metal Face, who's just made of Metal (a robot made of metal, who'd have thunk?). That's not true in Japan, where he's accurately named after the color of his body's metal: "Black Face". You... can kinda guess why they changed it to "Metal Face" for the West. (Xenoblade roughly-60%-through spoilers:
This is also why his remains on the Fallen Arm are the "Black Wreckage" - it probably should've been renamed "Metal Wreckage", but here we are.
)

Can't spell rainbow without Reyn, baby.
Dunban, I think you need to have a talk with Reyn.

Something I always thought was kind of funny about Onett in Melee, was how it was a lovingly made recreation of Onett from Earthbound with a couple liberties taken here and there while Brinstar looked like it was designed by someone who had seen a Metroid game in screenshots before at some point in the past and was working off of memory.

Dimmle

Something I always thought was kind of funny about Onett in Melee, was how it was a lovingly made recreation of Onett from Earthbound with a couple liberties taken here and there while Brinstar looked like it was designed by someone who had seen a Metroid game in screenshots before at some point in the past and was working off of memory.

I love both Brinstar and Brinstar Depths but this observation is totally valid.

The Brinstar stage in Melee probably should have been called like SR388, because it resembles that place closer than any rendition of Brinstar ever.

Concerning Brinstar, though, I've always wanted to see a deliberately retro styled Metroid stage that looked like the first Metroid's rendition of Brinstar.

BrinstarBeginning.gif

i've always liked how the melee metroid stages have bits of recognizable metroid imagery scattered about them but in totally nonsensical location and function

i really don't know what they were going for with those stages lol

i've always liked how the melee metroid stages have bits of recognizable metroid imagery scattered about them but in totally nonsensical location and function

i really don't know what they were going for with those stages lol
Don't get me wrong, I've always liked Brinstar to play on and Brinstar Depths, while not exactly fun, did have the "holy shit Kraid" factor to it. But I did like in Brawl that they made some actually identifiable Metroid locations. Like, as much flack that Norfair gets for redoing the rising lava gimmick, it is identifiably Norfair, at least its background is.

Unfortunate that Pyrosphere is probably the only new Metroid stage this go around, because there's too many good Metroid environments to have the only new stage be hamstrung by Other M's incredibly boring and sterile art. And it's not even an interesting looking location by Other M's standards, even. A location that shifted between organic and man-made would have been much more interesting, and that was the most original idea Other M had, art-wise.

Pity it's also probably ruined by a super intrusive boss character. I didn't used to think so, but Smash 3DS has shown me that Smash Bros. is in desperate need of an actual stage hazard switch.

Azuran

Banned
I'm still waiting for the inevitable GameXplain video where Andre does an in-depth 20 minute analysis of the Onett stage, showing off his ideas for how it can be different.

Why are you so obsessed with GameXplain? I swear I seen this same post from you like five times by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom