• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golnei

Why aren't they called Dunley (dog) and Dilwyn (duck)?

Because their true, canonical names are Madama Peepers and Kazooie. Though "Collective of Individuals and Objects from Nintendo Entertainment System and/or Famicom Lightgun-Related Titles" is a much more accurate title for the character as a whole.

Oh man, imagine if at the end of the Duck Hunt trailer, the camera just turns around and the person holding the Zapper is Snake, without any indication as to what that means.

Speaking of which, when was Duck Hunt first released, again?

vtIFLcY.jpg

Axass

You know what this means right? DH/Koopalings trailer mixed in with DLC trailer! Surely Sakurai wouldn't just have a direct with some old characters like DH/Koopalings, right? We need new characters already. Its been forever since the last new character!
I know, talking about Smash WiiU exclusives, but nothing really hypes me except character reveals lol.

The direct opens with DHD trailer.

The direct ends with a villains trailer featuring Bowser Jr/Koopalings, Mewtwo and Ridley.

Pociask

Wait a minute? The Zapper never released in Japan? NES > FAMICOM CONFIRMED! And if duck hunt dog is Sakurai throwing a bone to Western fans.... whelp, I'd take duck hunt dog over Ridley anyway. :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wait a minute? The Zapper never released in Japan? NES > FAMICOM CONFIRMED! And if duck hunt dog is Sakurai throwing a bone to Western fans.... whelp, I'd take duck hunt dog over Ridley anyway. :p

They had:

famicom_gun.jpg

Not a past you wanna bring attention to as a family friendly company...

So, depending on your point of view, they may have had the better alternative.

EDIT: This difference has affected previous Zapper appearances. E.g. Smooth Moves

I have this weird feeling we won't get Jr's trailer tomorrow and they'll save it for closer to release.

If they do Duck Hunt and Jr tomorrow, and next week Jiggly and Game and Watch, there's an entire month of no characters to reveal...

georly

zlCfzSkiW58NrmrKC2

Pic of the day. Here's what's happening behind the scenes in one of the secret fighter's shooting moves. The object being held is called an NES Zapper. This is an accessory which was released for the NES outside of Japan. Now, this image is edited, but it's a scene from the secret fighter's reveal video.

There better be a really good reason why this wasn't shown before the 3DS release. :/ Would have hyped 10 times more if we got this trailer.

Possible reasons i'll accept:
1. It shows off wii u exclusive modes
2. It shows off DLC characters

OMG OMG OMG OMG!

Your excitement gets me excited

Not a menu, thank Arceus!

Is the DHD reveal trailer gonna be in the direct? I mean, he's not exclusive to the Wii U version after all...

He's not, but his stage may be.

Hopefully it's one of these three, or a transformation stage that features all of them.

Wild_Gunman_NES_ScreenShot3.jpg
duckhunt.png
Hogans_Alley_NES_ScreenShot3.jpg

It's almost a shame we won't have people making charts showing how the blurred out character must be Duck Hunt.

another reason i wanted this before launch. Would have been AMAZING to see all the deniers make up stuff. I miss those days. It'll be another 6+ years before we get more leak deniers :( You guys were the best. (littlemac/shulk.gif)

Koopalings and Jr. Trailer would be a perfect lead in to 8 player smash.

That falls into my acceptable 'reasons to not show a trailer beforehand' list. That's perfect.

I wonder if the duck hunt stage will have the gamepad user tap on the stage to create a zapper-like effect. That'd be cool.

There better be a really good reason why this wasn't shown before the 3DS release. :/ Would have hyped 10 times more if we got this trailer.

Possible reasons i'll accept:
1. It shows off wii u exclusive modes
That is my guess. It is going to show off Bosses and Duck Hunt I bet.

Duck Hunt to me is one of the most forgettable new comers in Smash Bros. I don't use him, nobody I play with uses him, and he dies instantly in All Star, so I don't even see him there. I just don't think he's memorable in Smash, maybe because I didn't grow up with Duck Hunt, and my first interaction with it was the Duck trophy in Melee.

Sorry :x

Maybe he'll grow on me. I had the same feelings about Wolf and ROB in Brawl, and now I really miss Wolf and like ROB a lot.

Technically the character trailers will be something new in the Wii U version, as we've had indication that character trailers will be viewable in the game, and we know they're not in the 3DS version.

Technically.

Duck Hunt to me is one of the most forgettable new comers in Smash Bros. I don't use him, nobody I play with uses him, and he dies instantly in All Star, so I don't even see him there. I just don't think he's memorable in Smash, maybe because I didn't grow up with Duck Hunt, and my first interaction with it was the Duck trophy in Melee.

Sorry :x

Maybe he'll grow on me. I had the same feelings about Wolf and ROB in Brawl, and now I really miss Wolf and like ROB a lot.
I know that feeling, but more toward Bowser Jr. because I am playing as the Koopa Clown Cart more than any Koopaling in it. Duck Hunt was an interesting new character IMO. The only character cut that I would like back is probably Wolf.

Hatchtag

Banned
I do wonder if the hand will belong to anyone interesting. I'd be somewhat surprised if they used just a generic hand that didn't belong to anyone particularly interesting instead of Master Hand.
Also kinda weird that it's just a generic panel in a room he's watching stuff on. No indication that it's a television or anything.

I know that feeling, but more toward Bowser Jr. because I am playing as the Koopa Clown Cart more than any Koopaling in it. Duck Hunt was an interesting new character IMO. The only character cut that I would like back is probably Wolf.
I like Bowser Jr because I've fantasized of him in Smash since Sunshine came out. I was surprised he wasn't in Brawl, when Brawl added all those other obvious "why wasn't this character in before" choices like Diddy, Wario, Dedede and Charizard. I've never used the Koopaling skins, I find Jr works just fine on his own.

Wolf is going to have a hard time coming back, considering he takes as much work as any other non-clone and he isn't really popular and Star Fox isn't too important of a series in recent years. Adding him over some other character will probably require a surge in popularity for him or a new amazing Star Fox game.

I think of all the Brawl cut characters, Lucas has a good chance of returning as DLC. He's easier than Wolf to add, as he can share Ness' basic skeleton and a lot of animations, plus the coding work on his specials is already finished because of Ness' customs. He's also sort of popular, although Mother having the same character count as Metroid and Donkey Kong was a little odd in Brawl.

We will never see Ivysaur or Squirtle in this series again. They join Pichu in this exclusive "characters who won't ever return". And I leave Roy out of it, because there's just a sliver of a chance he'd return some how, since he was popular in Melee.

Ice Climbers returning for 5 is just a forgone conclusion. They'll be back, so it's not worth even thinking about it.

As far as who I want back, honestly, everyone. I don't like cuts in Smash Bros, and I'd be perfectly happy if they announced Pichu tomorrow. I was ecstatic when they announced Doc, and he's one of my most played characters in Smash 4.

Pyrokai

Was Bowser always known as Bowser in the US? Toadstool got changed to Peach, her Japanese name, but Bowser never changed to Koopa, his Japanese name. In fact, I thought he was Koopa in the US originally, then they changed it to Bowser come Mario World (or was it SMB3?). Why did they differentiate his name but unite Peach's name?

georly

Was Bowser always known as Bowser in the US? Toadstool got changed to Peach, her Japanese name, but Bowser never changed to Koopa, his Japanese name. In fact, I thought he was Koopa in the US originally, then they changed it to Bowser come Mario World (or was it SMB3?). Why did they differentiate his name but unite Peach's name?

He was king koopa to me until super nes. Probably the mario cartoon, more than anything.

Episode 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA10XUaI3Mo#t=255

"Me and my brother luigi had just rescued princess toadstool from king koopa"

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow, in the intend to buy, this appeared. Does this happen for all games?

09pp9Y2.png

Pretty sure it does. It's also on that Hello Kitty 3DS racing game survey, and I doubt that has a demo (could be wrong, too lazy to check).

Because we got the superior name, and they didn't want to change it in Japan.

Koopas to me are the generic yellow and green turtles. Maybe because my first Mario game was Mario Kart 64, and my first interaction with the word "Koopa" was Koopa Troopa Beach, which everyone I knew called Koopa Beach. Since it had a giant turtle shaped rock on it, it stuck. And my first interaction with Bowser was him being called Bowser on the character screen,

It also didn't help me that Paper Mario named all their Koopa Troopas with puns on the word Koopa.

J@hranimo

Banned
Ah, Duck Hunt trailer teaser. Gonna be the best one yet.

also, it's so cool Duck Hunt is a thing in Smash. Duck Hunt was one of the two first games I played as a kid, so back when the early copy stream was happening on twitch and I finally saw him in action I was freaking out with nostalgia. Love that character and will probably play him a lot more on the Wii U version.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Just realized why Bowser Jr. was held back as well till tomorrow probably...

There's probably a part in the trailer where it shows all the Koopalings in an Eight-Player Smash.

Neiteio

I'm surprised there are people surprised the secret newcomers get trailers. Didn't Sakurai say from the start that -all- of the newcomers would get trailers? (I guess Dark Pit is the pseudo-exception, since he appears briefly in Palutena's trailer)

Like Watch Da Birdie said, and like I've said before, Bowser Jr./Koopalings would be perfect for showing off eight-player Smash. That'd be a great way to open tomorrow's stream. Then they can close out with Duck Hunt.

Really, Sakurai is giving us the best of both worlds. Keeping Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt secret in the 3DS version meant we still got to experience the surprise of discovering a newcomer on our own (provided we hadn't already spoiled ourselves), and at the same time the hype cycle for the WiiU version gives them the chance to show reveal trailers, as well. :)

mrhej

zlCfzSkiW58NrmrKC2

Pic of the day. Here's what's happening behind the scenes in one of the secret fighter's shooting moves. The object being held is called an NES Zapper. This is an accessory which was released for the NES outside of Japan. Now, this image is edited, but it's a scene from the secret fighter's reveal video.

Can't wait to see the trailer. Thursday is going to be interesting.

Dog & Duck. There, straight to the point.

Also, this makes me hope we'll also get the reveal of a Duck Hunt stage where you have to dog ducks, clay pigeons, & possibly random shots from the zapper trying to take down said items. Or hell, go one step further & be like Flat Zone, but with the different Zapper games.
But there's a Zapper involved, not just a dog and duck! Today's pic proves it, EU didn't get the memo.

Also, today's pic confirms the trailers are viewable from in game in the WiiU version, right?

emb

Also, today's pic confirms the trailers are viewable from in game in the WiiU version, right?
No, not at all. Unless the wording is different in other languages I guess. It just confirms that the reveal video exists (which was already pretty heavily implied). If it's not in the Direct tomorrow, I think it's perfectly safe to assume it's in the game. Even if it is, it's still probably in the game.

Vyse24

So here's how I see it breaking down:

- Tomorrow starts with Jigglypuff and G&W being revealed, because aside from showing off a new stage, they really don't add anything else.
- Direct kicks off with Duck Hunt trailer. Possibly show off a new retro stage and will be thing 1 of 50. Middle of the Direct, we get info on Wii U/3DS connectivity, leading to 8-player Smash and the reveal of Bowser Jr. and the koopalings.
- Also during the Direct, all of the other modes are revealed, all stages are revealed, and we see more trophies which include those not associated with Nintendo, Sega, Capcom or Namco. Perhaps something from Square-Enix?
- Direct ends by showing off a new character only possible via connectivity. Ridley or not, internet goes crazy.

50 things about Smash for Wii U

- Duck Hunt Dog
- Duck Hunt Duck
- Duck Hunt Zapper
- Duck Hunt Discus
- Duck Hunt Can
- Duck Hunt's Cowboys

- Bowser Jr.
- Larry
- Iggy
- Lemmy
- Roy
- Morton Jr.
- Ludwig
- Wendy O.

- Koopa Clown Car

Only 35 things left guys.

zroid

Banned
Since I haven't been keeping up with all the datamining and new leaks/rumours, what is the source(s) of the 8 player thing?

Akai

No, not at all. Unless the wording is different in other languages I guess. It just confirms that the reveal video exists (which was already pretty heavily implied). If it's not in the Direct tomorrow, I think it's perfectly safe to assume it's in the game. Even if it is, it's still probably in the game.

Sakurai said:
"What we decided this time around, we're just going to have [those movies unlocked] from the beginning. We're going to have a movie for Wii Fit Trainer, The Villager and Mega Man and they'll be viewable right at the beginning, you can watch those right away."

Sounds like they will be viewable in-game to me...

So here's how I see it breaking down:

- Tomorrow starts with Jigglypuff and G&W being revealed, because aside from showing off a new stage, they really don't add anything else.
- Direct kicks off with Duck Hunt trailer. Possibly show off a new retro stage and will be thing 1 of 50. Middle of the Direct, we get info on Wii U/3DS connectivity, leading to 8-player Smash and the reveal of Bowser Jr. and the koopalings.
- Also during the Direct, all of the other modes are revealed, all stages are revealed, and we see more trophies which include those not associated with Nintendo, Sega, Capcom or Namco. Perhaps something from Square-Enix?
- Direct ends by showing off a new characters only possible via connectivity. Ridley or not, internet goes crazy.
It could be real, but FTFY.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Since I haven't been keeping up with all the datamining and new leaks/rumours, what is the source(s) of the 8 player thing?

Audio in the 3DS Version has Eight-Player Smash and Yellow Team.

The Wii U Stage Select screen shows the player character icons, and there's enough space for four more to fit.

Giant Stages like Palutena's Temple seem made to accommodate such battles.

Neiteio

Something to the effect that the 3DS can be used as a controller for the WiiU version, and in the 3DS data are icons for Players 5-8, and I think a sound clip saying "Eight-Player Smash," as well? Not sure, but something like that. HYPE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom