• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anyone actually be upset if the Wii U version ended up having exclusive characters like Ice Climbers?
Yes. I know know controversial opinion etc etc, 3DS version is and will always be my "main" so to speak since I vastly prefer handhelds. If they were releasing 3 years apart and were treated as 100% seperate games and any possible 3DS DLC was long since done then I wouldn't be upset, because it would be the sequel to the 3DS version. But each while each has exclusive modes and stages, they are in the end much much closer to being essentially the same game then they are seperate.

I like to play as all the characters from time to time. If WiiU got exclusive characters then I'd be pissed. But I am 100% sure by this point that any upcoming DLC characters will be on both versions. Sakurai isn't going to go through the effort to make the rosters the same to then not make them the same.

The WiiU version will most likely be the best version overall, not to me since I prefer handhelds, and also I feel like the controller on 3DS is fantastic. (I even played Brawl with a WiiMote.) and I prefer the "3D" of 3DS to the HD of WiiU, tho obviously the graphics are better on WiiU. But unless they severily screw up Special Order and Smash World, then WiiU will most likely have more fun stuff to do, but I just plain don't like playing console games and only do it for titles I hope to really really enjoy. WiiU is much better in that regard due to off tv play, but I like getting into the game asap and on 3DS all have to do is open the lid when I'm playng to be back in the game. Even with the Quickstart menu the WiiU still takes forever to get in a game. So all those combined is why I prefer 3DS. I'm sure others prefer 3DS for much simpler reasons: Its alot cheaper to buy. Which is why its sold alot more than WiiU.

Is it fair for WiiU owners to not get a character that can't work on another sysem? No. But it is also not fair for 3DS to be left out on characters when they were developed at the same time and run on the same engine. Either way people get pissed off, and Sakurai made his decision to have both rosters the same.

Edit: Holy shit at the Duck Hunt argument. The hunter is part of the team people. #Truthfact

emb

Yeah, that's what I was hoping, but who knows if he changed his mind.

I was just assuming that since there's the little WiiU logo at the top, this video is probably viewable on the WiiU version.
Oh yeah, that's a good call too.

I guess I didn't think through my reply enough, I just re-read the comment on the pic to see if it said anything about it. :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
50 things about Smash for Wii U

- Duck Hunt Dog
- Duck Hunt Duck
- Duck Hunt Zapper
- Duck Hunt Discus
- Duck Hunt Can
- Duck Hunt's Cowboys

- Bowser Jr.
- Larry
- Iggy
- Lemmy
- Roy
- Morton Jr.
- Ludwig
- Wendy O.

- Koopa Clown Car

Only 35 things left guys.

Funny :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTaS492JXgg

Off topic, but is the IRC chat working? Can't log in at all.

I can't either.

It's fine for me but I probably use different program than y'all did.

Reveal video for a character everyone knows about?

Uh... nice scheduling there , guys.

It could be red herring :p

darkmagus

zlCfzSkiW58NrmrKC2

Pic of the day. Here's what's happening behind the scenes in one of the secret fighter's shooting moves. The object being held is called an NES Zapper. This is an accessory which was released for the NES outside of Japan. Now, this image is edited, but it's a scene from the secret fighter's reveal video.

Cool, but this would have been more shocking if we didn't already know.

I would probably had a meltdown lol

zroid

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTaS492JXgg

Off topic, but is the IRC chat working? Can't log in at all.

Audio in the 3DS Version has Eight-Player Smash and Yellow Team.

The Wii U Stage Select screen shows the player character icons, and there's enough space for four more to fit.

Giant Stages like Palutena's Temple seem made to accommodate such battles.

Something to the effect that the 3DS can be used as a controller for the WiiU version, and in the 3DS data are icons for Players 5-8, and I think a sound clip saying "Eight-Player Smash," as well? Not sure, but something like that. HYPE!

It was found through data mining the 3DS version of Smash where they found the sound clip for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hTaS492JXgg

Edit: Beaten

Cheers.

Also the announcer's voice when taken out of context of the actual game is kinda hilarious

the majority of those 50 things will be things we already know about (or basically know about) but weren't officially revealed yet.

Hey guys, did you know about Onett? Heres Temple! And hey, that Kalos League.
Also 12 of them will be secret characters since they were never revealed on Miiverse. What? The website? Sakurai doesn't even know there is a website. Kappa.

georly

Is it fair for WiiU owners to not get a character that can't work on another sysem? No. But it is also not fair for 3DS to be left out on characters when they were developed at the same time and run on the same engine. Either way people get pissed off, and Sakurai made his decision to have both rosters the same.

I'm still sad that ice climbers were cut because they couldn't work on 3DS. It's a potential main for me that I can't have anymore. Unlike lucas/wolf and anyone else cut, ice climbers were the only vets cut (excluding pkmn trainer, who could have just been split into 3 chars) for 3DS hardware limitations. Parity should be a plus, not a requirement.

To say you don't want ice climbers on Wii U because they also couldn't be on 3DS is along the lines of "If I can't have it, then nobody else can!" Yeah, it sucks for the people who are only using 3DS or primarily using 3DS, but that doesn't mean that Wii U people should have to suffer too. :/ It's such a shame.

CassSept

Duck Hunt to me is one of the most forgettable new comers in Smash Bros. I don't use him, nobody I play with uses him, and he dies instantly in All Star, so I don't even see him there. I just don't think he's memorable in Smash, maybe because I didn't grow up with Duck Hunt, and my first interaction with it was the Duck trophy in Melee.

Sorry :x

Maybe he'll grow on me. I had the same feelings about Wolf and ROB in Brawl, and now I really miss Wolf and like ROB a lot.

Really? I actually absolutely adore the character, DHD is really fun to play and I enjoy his play style. He isn't the strongest character in the game but he is very inventive and interesting, I like playing as him.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Duck Hunt is probably my favorite of all the newcomers. Just super strong in a lot of regards, a ton of great new moves, feels great to play. Conversely, I thought I'd like Bower Jr a lot more than I do.

Berordn

I like Duck Hunt because he's an example of a character that could have been terrible had they just followed fan expectations for the character. Instead they were really creative and expanded the scope to make him a representative of the Zapper hardware instead of just "that dog from duck hunt" and actually made him really endearing to me and fun to play around with.

zlCfzSkiW58NrmrKC2

Pic of the day. Here's what's happening behind the scenes in one of the secret fighter's shooting moves. The object being held is called an NES Zapper. This is an accessory which was released for the NES outside of Japan. Now, this image is edited, but it's a scene from the secret fighter's reveal video.

Cool, but this would have been more shocking if we didn't already know.

I would probably had a meltdown lol

Y'know, it could be nothing but something doesn't feel right to me about this. I'm getting an odd deja vu of the time we were all super certain the next newcomer trailer was going to be Shulk. The best place to hide new stuff is in plain sight after all and Sakurai likes playing with expectations :3

Again, though, could be nothing and it's just DHD as we're all expecting...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah, I'm glad that Duck Hunt ended up being so different than what fans made him out to be. I have been playing with him so much that I haven't give other characters a chance.

I';m glad that Duck Hunt and I just clicked very well. I'm looking forward to see a lot of materials from Smash U Direct so I can use those for countdown gif hopefully.

Y'know, it could be nothing but something doesn't feel right to me about this. I'm getting an odd deja vu of the time we were all super certain the next newcomer trailer was going to be Shulk. The best place to hide new stuff is in plain sight after all and Sakurai likes playing with expectations :3

Well, It's plausible that Duck Hunt trailer might be red herring but I can see purple head duck in blurry area so I think they are going to show Duck Hunt trailer and Bowser Jr. trailer for sure.

J@hranimo

Banned

Haha maaaaaaybe.

The Dog is taunting us behind that censor :p

It's pretty clearly Duck Hunt Dog (and Duck).

You can see their shape Duck Hunt dog appears to be doing his down smash or crouching. You can see where his features are, including the duck head.

I'd like to believe there's more to it than that, but in this case, if there's a secret, it's going to be with that creepy hand. WHO IS IT!!

We've seen all there is to see as far as characters go.. at least for a while.

UNLESS... there's the connectivity characters that were rumored.... but how likely do you guys suppose that is?

Do you think they're holding back 1-3 characters as a bonus?

I tend to think all the fireworks are over and basically everything that will be revealed is everything there is, and everything we expect there to be.

I'm leaning toward DLC characters happening several months or more down the line, though, but I doubt we'd see more hints of it tomorrow.

Neiteio

『Inaba Resident』;135424630 said:
Dont know if this was mentioned or not but they already revealed Bowser Jr in the how-to section of the site.
Are you talking about this?

entry8-3.jpg

Because I don't think that's what many people here mean by "reveal"

Well, It's plausible that Duck Hunt trailer might be red herring but I can see purple head duck in blurry area so I think they are going to show Duck Hunt trailer and Bowser Jr. trailer for sure.

It's pretty clearly Duck Hunt Dog (and Duck).

You can see their shape Duck Hunt dog appears to be doing his down smash or crouching. You can see where his features are, including the duck head.

I'd like to believe there's more to it than that, but in this case, if there's a secret, it's going to be with that creepy hand. WHO IS IT!!

We've seen all there is to see as far as characters go.. at least for a while.

UNLESS... there's the connectivity characters that were rumored.... but how likely do you guys suppose that is?

Do you think they're holding back 1-3 characters as a bonus?

I tend to think all the fireworks are over and basically everything that will be revealed is everything there is, and everything we expect there to be.

I'm leaning toward DLC characters happening several months or more down the line, though, but I doubt we'd see more hints of it tomorrow.

I don't doubt the duck hunt trailer is going to be a real thing and this is an editted shot from it, no reason to doubt that. We just assume that the censor is the only edit is the issue :p
Is it DHD behind the censor? Probably. I can kinda see it, though it seems oddly too small to me. I feel like the duck is bigger than that normally or something, but again, I'm probably thinking about this too much :3 For all we know, maybe Diddy or the stage they're on isn't in the actual shot and they've replaced the screen pic so they don't spoil something XD

I can fully buy there being Wii-U locked characters. If you think about it, it's a nice little model if anybody can hook their 3DS up to a Wii-U with smash on it and get some additional characters: In a theoretical situation where people value the 3DS version more, It means that a circle of friends is more likely to encourage at least one member of their group to purchase the Wii-U version so they can all hook up to it and get the extras. For those who don't know someone with a Wii-U there could always be a DLC route to add them.
Heck knows though... maybe rather than extra characters, there's more alts for existing ones? We don't know anything for sure until they either tell us or the game is out :p

The blurry part if for sure DH, but we can possibly get a character in that trailer aswell.

Maybe its the hand...hhmm...none of the Spainkiller 4 has human hands. It looks like a female hand, it doesn't look like Snake.

Who would the hand belong too? Does Fatal Frame Girl wear gloves?

I would think it would also be someone retro but I dunno. Its most likely nothing but I am sorta 50/50 expecting a DLC/Connect character being revealed tomorrow.

Neiteio

I believe that L-shaped censor blur is for Duck Hunt's forward smash, where the dog leans on his front paws, contorting his body in an L-shape, and the duck popping up on his hindquarters (the purple head of the duck seen in the top cluster of pixels).

I wonder what music they'll use for Duck Hunt's trailer.

The blurry part if for sure DH, but we can possibly get a character in that trailer aswell.

Maybe its the hand...hhmm...none of the Spainkiller 4 has human hands. It looks like a female hand, it doesn't look like Snake.

Who would the hand belong too? Does Fatal Frame Girl wear gloves?

I would think it would also be someone retro but I dunno. Its most likely nothing but I am sorta 50/50 expecting a DLC/Connect character being revealed tomorrow.

I don't think they'll show the person but if its anybody, I'm betting on it being Nester or Captain N.

Neoxon

I believe that L-shaped censor blur is for Duck Hunt's forward smash, where the dog leans on his front paws, contorting his body in an L-shape, and the duck popping up on his hindquarters (the purple head of the duck seen in the top cluster of pixels).

I wonder what music they'll use for Duck Hunt's trailer.
Maybe some Wii U-exclusive Duck Hunt music. For reference, the Wii U version has a Xenoblade Medley to itself.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Maybe some Wii U-exclusive Duck Hunt music. For reference, the Wii U version has a Xenoblade Medley to itself.

I have a good feeling that Wii U will have a lot of exclusive musics because Sakurai said that there will be 5 tracks per stages in U version awhile 3DS only have 2 tracks per stages.

georly

I have a good feeling that Wii U will have a lot of exclusive musics because Sakurai said that there will be 5 tracks per stages in U version awhile 3DS only have 2 tracks per stages.

Like they said, he never said 5. Only number he gave was 2 per stage for 3DS. The example he gave for skyloft had 5, but it will vary per stage, and i'm sure you'll be able to unlock more, as well.

- Direct ends by showing off a new character only possible via connectivity. Ridley or not, internet goes crazy.

If Ridley is confirmed playable, the internet will reach "Sonic's Brawl Reveal" status.

And there will be crows to eat, since you guys love bragging so much.

Hopefully, there will be something unexpected in this direct.

『Inaba Resident』;135431227 said:
Just had a thought. How in the hell is the omega version of Pac-Man's scrolling stage gonna look?
Probably the same as the Kirby and Mario scrolling stages: the town section with no scrolling.

Cse

Banned
So what exactly can we expect Thursday afternoon? Is this going to be a Smash Direct with Sakurai, similar to the one back in the spring, or is this going to be an actual livestream with Nate and Bill showing off some unique features of the Wii U version?

So what exactly can we expect Thursday afternoon? Is this going to be a Smash Direct with Sakurai, similar to the one back in the spring, or is this going to be an actual livestream with Nate and Bill showing off some unique features of the Wii U version?
We have no clue. Iwata is still sick, so it will probably be Treehouse (Nate and Bill) or Sakurai. I hope it is Sakurai because he is pretty entertaining.

Azuran

Banned
I like Duck Hunt because he's an example of a character that could have been terrible had they just followed fan expectations for the character. Instead they were really creative and expanded the scope to make him a representative of the Zapper hardware instead of just "that dog from duck hunt" and actually made him really endearing to me and fun to play around with.

That's why Sakurai is the man. Same deal with Bowser Jr. Now I go back in time and snicker at all the posts that said he would only be on Smash by using his paintbrush.

Berordn

I don't think he actually gave a clear limit on Wii U stage music. What he showed us was just My Music returning, unless I've missed something since then.

Dr. Buni

They* Them*

Yeah yeah, I am annoying :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom