• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golnei

This is exactly why I'm upset that the character is named Duck Hunt Duo in the European version.

Though 'Duck Hunt' doesn't encompass the character entirely either, considering the other NES games they pull from. With that in mind, going with a more natural-sounding name that focuses on the character's two most visible components makes sense.

So the hunter of the Duck Hunt character is female
:D

A woman holding a retro peripheral near a CRT monitor in complete darkness - clearly intended to refer to Alien, which can mean nothing other than
Ridley confirmed at last.

Though 'Duck Hunt' doesn't encompass the character entirely either, considering the other NES games they pull from. With that in mind, going with a more natural-sounding name that focuses on the character's two most visible components makes sense.

But "Duo" doesn't encompass the character entirely either. Beyond the duck and the dog, there's also the hunter, but ALSO the Wild Gunmen. "Duck Hunt" is the most sensible name for the character, really, since the duck, the dog and the hunter all are the major part of the character. Calling it "Duo" ignores the hunter, who is involved in several moves.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why isn't Bowser Jr called Bowser Jr and Koopa Clown Car? Calling him just Bowser Jr ignores the KCC who is involved in several of his moves.

flohen95

This is exactly why I'm upset that the character is named Duck Hunt Duo in the European version.

Duck Hunt Duo is a much better name than just "Duck Hunt". Not only does "The winner is... Duck Hunt!" sound stupid, it also sounds wrong (and that's from someone whose native language isn't even English), as does "Yo, I usually play as Duck Hunt", while "I usually play Duck Hunt" is associated with something different altogether.

It's just a dumb name. Heck, Duck & Dog would have been better, and while that doesn't encompass the "player" with the Zapper either, I don't think it's necessary to incorporate something that is never even seen into the name of the character, especially if that would mean that you would pay attention to some imganiary character while ignoring the Wild Gunmen that are part of the Fighter as well and are actually seen in game.

Why isn't Bowser Jr called Bowser Jr and Koopa Clown Car? Calling him just Bowser Jr ignore the KCC who is involved in several of his moves.

This is a stupid comparison.

Duck Hunt Duo is a much better name than just "Duck Hunt". Not only does "The winner is... Duck Hunt!" sound stupid, it also sounds wrong (and that's from someone whose native language isn't even English), as does "Yo, I usually play as Duck Hunt", while "I usually play Duck Hunt" is associated with something different altogether.

It's just a dumb name. Heck, Duck & Dog would have been better, and while that doesn't encompass the "player" with the Zapper either, I don't think it's necessary to incorporate something that is never even seen into the name of the character, especially if that would mean that you would pay attention to some imganiary character while ignoring the Wild Gunmen that are part of the Fighter as well and are actually seen in game.

It "sounding wrong" to you is entirely subjective. It sounds wrong to me to call them a duo when clearly, they are not. The hunter is also visible in the game - you see the crosshair and his/her shots. So even while you do not see them in the flesh, you see their influence on the battlefield. The hunter is not imaginary, they are actively trying to shoot at the pair of animals in the smash attacks, and at the targets provided in 2 of the special moves.

If you want to get the game title out of the name of the character, then "Duck Hunt Team" would likely be a much better option than either Duck Hunt or Duck Hunt Duo, as it does not disclose the number of parties involved.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This is a stupid comparison.

Why isn't Captain Falcon called Captain Falcon and Blue Falcon. He summons the Blue Falcon like the dog from Duck Hunt summons items from various NES Zapper titles so it too should get recognition in the name for the character.

But "Duo" doesn't encompass the character entirely either. Beyond the duck and the dog, there's also the hunter, but ALSO the Wild Gunmen. "Duck Hunt" is the most sensible name for the character, really, since the duck, the dog and the hunter all are the major part of the character. Calling it "Duo" ignores the hunter, who is involved in several moves.

"Duck hunt" is worse than "Duck hunt duo". "Duck hunt" isn't the name of the characters: it's as stupid as calling Samus, Metroid.

The wildgunmen don't have to be part of the name either. Otherwise Zelda needs to be renamed Zelda and phantom because she summons one as one of her moves.

I didn't trust the leak untill Nintendo took down the video from YouTube.
I normally don't trust leaks unless they have a lot of evidence supporting them.
That's not entirely fair though - I've seen videos taken down by "Nitnendo" in the past. People can fake copyright complaints.
If Wolf is DLC then I'll have a big problem on my hands.

You see I like a world where Wolf isn't in the game. Too bad he didn't take Falco and Fox with him. Makes my main character, the Random button, that much stronger for not having to deal with him.

Then again though I'd feel like I was missing out if I didn't buy him. The decision might be tipped if there's a season pass that saves me money but includes Wolf or if he has a different Final Smash.
Yessssss finally someone who agrees. The Star Fox trio is too same-y, especially when playing on random.
Robin is the safest FE veteran not named Marth at this point. By far the most unique and distinctive play-style of the lot. Besides, there's a new generation of players who associate FE far more with him and Lucina, than Ike and Marth. That said, I doubt Lucina's returning for the next game. I imagine she'll be dummied out for whoever the Lord is for the next game. Who is hopefully a lady as well to bring the FE gender ratio up to snuff.
I don't get why people think Robin will be replaced. Sure, there might be a new avatar, but look at Sheik. One game, but still here because of her history with Smash. She very easily could've been replaced by Impa.
Would anyone actually be upset if the Wii U version ended up having exclusive characters like Ice Climbers?
NOPE.

Why isn't Captain Falcon called Captain Falcon and Blue Falcon. He summons the Blue Falcon like the dog from Duck Hunt summons items from various NES Zapper titles so it too should get recognition in the name for the character.

This doesn't make any sense. First of all, the Blue Falcon, the Koopa Clown Car, and whatever other things you're going to pull out of your ass, are all inanimate items. They are not actual characters.

But here's the thing: Why is Olimar called "Pikmin and Olimar", and why is Rosalina called "Rosalina and Luma", and why are the Ice Climbers called Ice Climbers and not just Popo or Nana (depending on which one takes the lead)? Because the Pikmin, Luma and other Ice Climber are part of the team that composes the character. Obviously, Olimar and Rosalina are the leaders of those teams, yet the Pikmin and Luma get recognition - why aren't you complaining about them being credited instead?

The hunter is as much part of the team composing the Duck Hunt character as the dog and the duck are, even though they are not physically present on the battlefield. Calling the character a "duo" is ignoring the third, and essential, member of the team. And to top it off, the hunter is a significantly more important member of the Duck Hunt character than the Pikmin, Luma and second Ice Climber are. You can play Solo Olimar, Rosalina and Climber by getting rid of their other team members, but you cannot play Duck Hunt without the hunter, since they are an actual part of the moveset - you can't drop the hunter into a pit like the other characters.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Actually, in Europe Olimar and Alph are just called that. There's no "Pikmin &" prefix in their names.

Also the Koopa Clown Car is pretty animated and you can't play Bowser Jr solo without it.

Wait what? Where is he called this? I have only seen him called Olimar.

He's called that in Japan. So it's really the name Sakurai intended for the character.

Also the Koopa Clown Car is pretty animated and you can't play Bowser Jr solo without it.

Definition of "inanimate" in the Oxford Dictionary:
"ADJECTIVE

1 Not alive

1.1 Showing no sign of life; lifeless"

You wouldn't call your TV animated and alive either if faces were on it, would you?

This doesn't make any sense. First of all, the Blue Falcon, the Koopa Clown Car, and whatever other things you're going to pull out of your ass, are all inanimate items. They are not actual characters.

But here's the thing: Why is Olimar called "Pikmin and Olimar", and why is Rosalina called "Rosalina and Luma", and why are the Ice Climbers called Ice Climbers and not just Popo or Nana (depending on which one takes the lead)? Because the Pikmin, Luma and other Ice Climber are part of the team that composes the character. Obviously, Olimar and Rosalina are the leaders of those teams, yet the Pikmin and Luma get recognition - why aren't you complaining about them being credited instead?

The hunter is as much part of the team composing the Duck Hunt character as the dog and the duck are, even though they are not physically present on the battlefield. Calling the character a "duo" is ignoring the third, and essential, member of the team. And to top it off, the hunter is a significantly more important member of the Duck Hunt character than the Pikmin, Luma and second Ice Climber are. You can play Solo Olimar, Rosalina and Climber by getting rid of their other team members, but you cannot play Duck Hunt without the hunter, since they are an actual part of the moveset - you can't drop the hunter into a pit like the other characters.

I always imagined it as the hunter is supposed to be you. That's why they're not included in the name, and it makes sense in the context of the original game too, otherwise you need to include "and you" in literally every character.

I always imagined it as the hunter is supposed to be you. That's why they're not included in the name, and it makes sense in the context of the original game too, otherwise you need to include "and you" in literally every character.

But it's not you. When playing the Duck Hunt character in Smash, you're not aiming at the characters in the game with a zapper, are you? You're actually only directly controlling the dog, who is the "leader" of the character team. The duck and the hunter are your team members who are supporting you as well.

Does that mean Megaman is inanimate?

Yes.

But it's not you. When playing the Duck Hunt character in Smash, you're not aiming at the characters in the game with a zapper, are you? You're actually only directly controlling the dog, who is the "leader" of the character team. The duck and the hunter are your team members who are supporting you as well.

It doesn't matter: You were the hunter in the original game which is the important part. From my perspective, you're just being pedantic and demanding a character who never otherwise existed be invented to justify your anger at a name.

Zalman

Duck Hunt is a stupid name. Seeing people still calling the character Duck Hunt Dog is a testiment to that. Even Duck Hunt Duo is way better than that.

It doesn't matter: You were the hunter in the original game which is the important part. From my perspective, you're just being pedantic and demanding a character who never otherwise existed be invented to justify your anger at a name.

I'm not inventing a character, the character already exists. You are not playing Duck Hunt (the game) when playing the Duck Hunt character in Smash Bros., you are playing Smash Bros. - the player who is shooting at the dog and duck is somebody entirely else.

It doesn't even have to say "Trio" if you want to keep the hunter aspect of it open for interpretation. Again, if the character was named "Duck Hunt Team", I would not be upset, and it would be correct for both you (who thinks the character IS only composed of the duck and the dog), and for me (who thinks the character is composed of those 2 AND the hunter). Heck, it would even encompass the gunmen from the Down B. It's the numerical definition of the character that upsets me.

Pompadour

Why isn't Bowser Jr called Bowser Jr and Koopa Clown Car? Calling him just Bowser Jr ignores the KCC who is involved in several of his moves.

The Koopa Clown Car is a weapon that Bowser Jr. controls. The members of Duck Hunt are all living things, like Rosalina and Luma and Pikmin and Olimar.

You're arguments suggests we need characters called Marth and Falchion, Ike and Ragnell, Fox and Blaster, and so on. In fact, Mario and F.L.U.D.D. makes more sense than Jr. and Koopa Clown Car as F.L.U.D.D talked in Super Mario Sunshine.

Hold up, they're just called Duck Hunt over in the states? Weird.

Edit: Misread. Yes, they're only called Duck Hunt in Japan and the US.

Also, I was just reminded that the Ice Climbers' name in Japan is Ice Climber (as in, the title of their origin game). Might be what they were going for there with Duck Hunt as well.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Duck Hunt Duo > Duck Hunt

Ice Climbers > Ice Climber

Olimar & Pikmin > Pikmin & Olimar > Olimar

Duck Hunt Duo > Duck Hunt

Ice Climbers > Ice Climber

Olimar & Pikmin > Pikmin & Olimar > Olimar

What about my proposed name of Duck Hunt Team
since you are listing a non-existent name as well with Olimar & Pikmin

Also what kind of exploits

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What about my proposed name of Duck Hunt Team
since you are listing a non-existent name as well with Olimar & Pikmin

Also what kind of exploits

Duck Hunt Team sucks. Duck Hunt Duo has an alliterative flair.

If you think the trio is too similar, how was Wolf in any way the right sacrifice to make? Falco would have been a far more justifiable omission.
Either would've been fine to cut, but I think Falco stuck because of his Melee veteran status. Wolf is the more unique of the two Fox clones though.
Don't be silly. He should be called F-Zero.
Does that mean Megaman is inanimate?
The character or the series?
Yes to both.

flohen95

It "sounding wrong" to you is entirely subjective. It sounds wrong to me to call them a duo when clearly, they are not. The hunter is also visible in the game - you see the crosshair and his/her shots. So even while you do not see them in the flesh, you see their influence on the battlefield. The hunter is not imaginary, they are actively trying to shoot at the pair of animals in the smash attacks, and at the targets provided in 2 of the special moves.

If you want to get the game title out of the name of the character, then "Duck Hunt Team" would likely be a much better option than either Duck Hunt or Duck Hunt Duo, as it does not disclose the number of parties involved.

They also are clearly not "Duck Hunt", whatever being "Duck Hunt" would encompass (which is why it's wrong on even more levels than describing the character as a duo is, especially considering that only the duo is doing stuff for most of the characters actions). I also said that Duck Hunt sounds wrong - that's on a linguistical, grammatical level - even though, when considering that the character is called Duck Hunt, it's technically grammatically and linguistically correct. It still sounds wrong. That's why I consider Duck Hunt Duo the better name - while still not accurately describing what the character actually is, it is at least not non-sensical and makes every sentence with it in it seem grammatically incorrect.

With that said, yes, Duck Hunt Team is the best proposition I've seen so far and I would gladly take that over Duck Hunt Duo (which, in turn, I gladly took over Duck Hunt).

They should be called Double D

Edd.1.png

Jawmuncher

snake or someone worthwhile better be teased on that DHD reveal trailer. Though I'm guessing it will just be characters we already know about.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Dog & Duck. There, straight to the point.

Also, this makes me hope we'll also get the reveal of a Duck Hunt stage where you have to dog ducks, clay pigeons, & possibly random shots from the zapper trying to take down said items. Or hell, go one step further & be like Flat Zone, but with the different Zapper games.

Okrag

What if Snake was secretly the hunter all along? He is a dog person after all.

Oh man, imagine if at the end of the Duck Hunt trailer, the camera just turns around and the person holding the Zapper is Snake, without any indication as to what that means.

Jawmuncher

Oh man, imagine if at the end of the Duck Hunt trailer, the camera just turns around and the person holding the Zapper is Snake, without any indication as to what that means.

I would take that even if it didn't mean he was coming back.
At least it's still a part of smash somehow.

zlCfzSkiW58NrmrKC2

Pic of the day. Here's what's happening behind the scenes in one of the secret fighter's shooting moves. The object being held is called an NES Zapper. This is an accessory which was released for the NES outside of Japan. Now, this image is edited, but it's a scene from the secret fighter's reveal video.

Nah that hand's not nearly masculine enough to be Snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom