• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatchtag

Banned
A single character dlc is lame. Make it a pack pls.

There's no way they're going to announce two new characters on the same day, especially when they're so clearly far from being able to show them off well.
That being said, I could see it being part of a pack. Or maybe making him a bonus for another pack as well to hush the whiners. At the very least, I think a stage will probably come with him.

Anyways, with eight player Smash, if there were anymore third parties, we could have them all plus Nintendo represented on the same screen now :p.

If Mewtwo's Mega Forms are already trophies, what will Mewtwo's Final Smash be?

Or will it still be his Mega Evolution?

I'd say Mega Mewtwo Y or Psystrike have the highest odds. Mega Mewtwo X is possible too, but since Charizard already shown they're ignoring multi-evolutions, I expect them to go with the far superior one.

has anyone pointed this out yet?
tumblr_inline_ndxkvgVTdK1s0dr91.png

how are you supposed to get alt trophies if you final smash trophies in allstar mode? maybe each character trophy has a set of alternate palettes and poses to choose from for the photos?

Special Orders probably.

zroid

Banned
I guess you need a copy of Smash 3DS for each 3DS which is to be used as a controller, right? That would limit the usefulness of having 3DSes as extra controllers for me...

Neiteio

Trophies from Direct

Final Smash trophies
Nabbit
Propeller Mario - NSMB
Rainbow Mario
Banana Peel
Mario + Bike
Toad+ Quacker
Daisy (Sluggers)
Funky Kong
Fish Poker Pops
Majora's Mask
TriForce Slash (Toon Link) - Windwaker?
King of Red Lions- Windwaker?
Toon Zelda - Windwaker?
Toon Ganondorf - Windwaker?
Aryll- Windwaker?
Tetra- Windwaker?
Medli- Windwaker?
Impa (Elderly)
Owlan
Windfish
Honedge - PKMN XY
Clawizter - PKMN XY
Pyroar - PKMN XY
Mega Mewtwo
Mike Kirby
Lor Starcutter
Broom Hatter
Poppy Bro Jr.
Mike
Ridley
Samus's Ship
KK Slider
Brewster- Animal Crossing Wild World
Harriet- Animal Crossing Wild World
Celeste- Animal Crossing Wild World
Katie- Animal Crossing Wild World
James McCloud (FZero)
Green haired pegasus female knight
Peckish Aristocrab - Distant Planet and Indigenous Creatures
Doc Louis
Fiora
Hogan's Alley can
Wrestler poster
Roll
Bass
FF2 protags
Art Academy Guy

Hothead
Pauline
Wario Bike
Togepi
Squirtle
Waluigi
Tingle
Coins
Food
Maxim Tomato
Superspicy Curry
Toon Link- Windwaker?
Gate- Wii Fit Plus/U
Arm and Leg Lift - Wii Fit Plus/U
Electrode -Pokemon
Pokemon Trainer
Sylveon- PKMN XY
Gogoat- PKMN XY
Inkay- PKMN XY
Spewpa- PKMN XY
Swirlix- PKMN XY
Mr. Saturn
Dunban
Devil
Dr. Wright
Prince Sable
Dr. Kawashima
Blinky
You're missing some, like Zinger from Donkey Kong Country, whose trophy can be seen in the lower-right corner during Smash Tour (look at the trophy icons under each player)

Huh, didn't expect there to be more stages in this than I anticipated. That's a pleasant surprise.

Though Pyrosphere looks awful to play on. Ridley is like they were talking amongst themselves, "How cool would it be if Flying Man was as big as the Yellow Devil?!"

Mewtwo was a really nice surprise at the end.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
You're probably screwed. Kinda sucks. Basically don't buy digital if you want to play with 8 players all using GC controllers.

Also I want Ice Climbers as DLC so we can have 16 Climbers on screen at once.

pokeballs on high

USB Hub

Neiteio

Huh, didn't expect there to be more stages in this than I anticipated. That's a pleasant surprise.

Though Pyrosphere looks awful to play on. Ridley is like they were talking amongst themselves, "How cool would it be if Flying Man was as big as the Yellow Devil?!"

Mewtwo was a really nice surprise at the end.
I quite like what they've shown of Pyrosphere. It's definitely a party stage in its normal form, but that's OK. It's neat that they tossed in the smaller creatures and robots as interactive hazards, too.

And I'm really happy that Norfair is back. That tidal wave of lava is going to look amazing in 1080p on a 47-inch TV.

Zubz

Banned
Bq3a8db.png

the ride never ends
2015 dlc with mewtwo believe

Yeah... Seeing classic Ridley as the icon was confusing, and seems like an oversight. Maybe they tried to make him work and couldn't? I mean, it should be doable, but Sakurai is a perfectionist; if he didn't fit his vision 110%, then poor Ridley'd probably go the way of the Ice Climbers. Ideally, they're forming a pack with Mewtwo, but for now, I guess Ridley's not a more-obnoxious Yellow Devil, but an even-worse Flying Man...

Kinsei

Banned
I quite like what they've shown of Pyrosphere. It's definitely a party stage in its normal form, but that's OK. It's neat that they tossed in the smaller creatures and robots as interactive hazards, too.

And I'm really happy that Norfair is back. That tidal wave of lava is going to look amazing in 1080p on a 47-inch TV.

The problem is it looks like almost every stage is a party stage. It's like Sakurai thinks omega mode makes up for it, but it doesn't.

What if Sakurai threw us a bone, and made Ridley playable via glitch?

Akin to the Master Hand glitch in Melee.

The problem is it looks like almost every stage is a party stage. It's like Sakurai thinks omega mode makes up for it, but it doesn't.

Yep, but I don't really mind, except with Gaur Plains which looks awesome. Hopefully Metal Face isn't that common.

One way or another Ridley is playable. I don't care what anyone else says.

He's either DLC later on...or what we saw today was a actual playable Ridley. Seriously he acted just like a real character. I mean it doesn't appear that if they made a playable character that big that it would break the game.

But yeah, most likely SM Ridley later on...or big Ridley as playable. Sakurai is really playing the long game with this. Amazing.

Something I noticed: in the track listings for the Club Nintendo CD soundtrack, Magicant wasn't listed with the 3DS songs. That struck me as interesting since that seems like the kind of song that'd be included. Can't be about spoilers either since Mute City, Great Cave Offensive, and others were included.

Ryce

He's either DLC later on...or what we saw today was a actual playable Ridley. Seriously he acted just like a real character. I mean it doesn't appear that if they made a playable character that big that it would break the game.

But yeah, most likely SM Ridley later on...or big Ridley as playable. Sakurai is really playing the long game with this. Amazing.
Will he come bundled with Metal Face?

I don't think Sakurai/ the Announcer would lie to our face about that.

Zubz

Banned

Yeah... Hopefully DLC fixes that. Or at least a patch that gives every stage a Battlefield variant. Like an Alpha Mode? But we need more Neutral stages, too... I loved this Direct, so sorry I sound pessimistic; Ridley being a bigger Flying Man on top of not being a fighter and a lack of balanced stages are both just too glaring to ignore.

Also, hey! Even without the DHD trailer or Sakurai hosting, I still got a Bingo! Thanks, Mewtwo!

This game is going to be incredible, Direct was amazing, everything else has been said.

Bq3a8db.png

the ride never ends
2015 dlc with mewtwo believe

Yeah, what on earth did they do to Ridley's mouth? Opens like a goofy duck's bill now, not menacing at all and just a flat out terrible change to his appearance. Why wouldn't they just use his basic, established design from Super, the Prime games and Zero Mission? Also irritated at how they managed to somehow make Zero Suit Samus's heels look even more mind numbingly stupid than they did before which is no small feat. Really don't understand NCL's overall approach to Metroid series anymore, it's like they go out of their way to distance themselves now from Super and the Prime games (Dark Samus assist is cool of course but point still stands).

Neiteio

I wonder if 8-Player Smash was like

"Well, we don't have to worry about Ice Climbers, want to just go for it?"
I've been saying that here ever since we knew 8-player was a thing.

Off-hand, I think the following normal stages are tame enough:

- Battlefield
- Big Battlefield
- Final Destination
- Mushroom Kingdom U
- Mario Galaxy
- Mario Circuit (WiiU)
- Mario Circuit (Brawl)
- Delfino Plaza
- Jungle Hijinx
- Kongo Jungle
- Skyloft
- Bridge of Eldin
- Orbital Gate Assault
- Lylat Cruise
- Coliseum
- Castle Siege
- Onett
- Port Town Aero Dive
- Halberd
- Kalos Pokémon League
- Wrecking Crew
- Wii Fit Studio
- Miiverse
- Wuhu Island
- Pilotwings
- Pac-Land
- Windy Hill Zone

There are probably others slipping my mind, but most normal stages seem more manageable than not. The main "crazy" ones are 75M, Gamer, Norfair, Pyrosphere, Gaur Plains, and Dr. Wily's Castle... Just thinking offhand here.

EDIT: Oh, and apparently Pokémon Stadium 2 is in the game!

Kinsei

Banned
This game is going to be incredible, Direct was amazing, everything else has been said.

Yeah, what on earth did they do to Ridley's mouth? Opens like a goofy duck's bill now, not menacing at all and just a flat out terrible change to his appearance. Why wouldn't they just use his basic, established design from Super, the Prime games and Zero Mission? Also irritated at how they managed to somehow make Zero Suit Samus's heels look even more mind numbingly stupid than they did before which is no small feat. Really don't understand NCL's overall approach to Metroid series anymore, it's like they go out of their way to distance themselves now from Super and the Prime games (Dark Samus assist is cool of course but point still stands).

The only thing I can think of is that the Japanese public loved Other M. I can't think of any other reason for Nintendo to keep using those designs.

Anth0ny

holy shit it seems like every
horrible
brawl stage is going to be back in smash 4

not complaining though

just waiting on the melee and 64 stages now...

The only thing I can think of is that the Japanese public loved Other M. I can't think of any other reason for Nintendo to keep using those designs.

Personal preference of developers? It doesn't seem like metroid has an overwhelming presence in the public anywhere. Unless Japan's metroid fanbase is scathingly opinionated despite its seemingly tiny size.

It's really disrespectful to both the series overall and most of its fans, really don't care if Japanese gamers received Other M well, it's no excuse. I didn't realize his mouth moved like that in the game. You'd think that with Nintendo being such a stickler for consistency nowadays with character branding that they wouldn't do this sort of thing to basic character designs from one of their most iconic series.

Zubz

Banned

I want to believe this is the case, but I know in my heart of hearts that Ridley's just a boss for the time being... It's require Namco making the DLC behind Sakurai's back or something.

holy shit it seems like every
horrible
brawl stage is going to be back in smash 4

not complaining though

just waiting on the melee and 64 stages now...

They brought back Delfino, Halberd and Lylat Cruise so I can't complain too much.
But yeah, the retro selection is looking really bad.
Also, why mix the old stages with the new ones? It makes it look too disorganized.

Neiteio

The only bad Brawl stages were 75m, Hanenbow, Rumble Falls and New Pork City, and only one of those is returning.
I actually like 75M. I mean, I wouldn't want many or most of the stages to be like it -- oh, heck no -- but as a one-of-a-kind stage, surrounded by many other "tame" stages, it's a nice bit of variety.

And with any luck, the Omega version of 75M will feature the great arcade DK aesthetic. :)

Sorry if this has been posted before but it's been a busy day and haven't been able to keep up with everything. How many 64 or Melee stages confirmed? I really dislike Sakurai's penchant since Brawl to make most of the stages so small. But at least there's classic stages and the level editor (one of my favorite and most used features from Brawl).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom