• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking the forty originally shown on the stage select in the direct are the starting stage roster.

Kongo Jungle, Smashville, Pokemon Stadium 2, and Pac-Land are unlockable.

Beyond that I'm guessing another four unlockable at most, and I'm guessing the following:

--A new Game & Watch stage. The only veteran series with stages that currently has none, and I don't see there being no new Game & Watch stage between both versions.
--Another new Mario stage. Yes, another. I'm guessing based on the original Mario. Currently, the stage select screen is kind of jumbled, with many two stage franchises separated at the edges. Another Mario stage inserted would help fix that.
--Another retro Mario stage, if only because the top row seems sparse as of now and the above added Mario stage to even out the rows wouldn't help this.
--Another Pokemon stage, either new or retro, if only because it currently has fewer stages than Zelda and it has always, always matched that series in stage count. I'm leaning on it potentially being new just so that, counting all the new stages together (counting Miiverse) the new stage count could equal Brawl. Though it's also possible that they may be holding a Pokemon stage back for the Mewtwo release so that it will sit at fewer stages than normal for a few months.

Magicant and Mute City may still make an appearance, but I'm not holding my breath.

Hopefully Pokemon and especially Zelda each get an additional NEW unlockable stage.
I'm thinking Temple is kind of standing in as a "new" stage, as it's far and away the most reworked returning stage.

Man, how heartbroken are we gonna be if for some reason it's magically bad like Brawl supposedly got?

Soooo heartbroken.

I won't be heartbroken at all. For me, Brawl was and is amazing - best in the series... until next month, of course. The best thing this game could do for me is be a bigger, better, tweaked, more balanced version of Brawl... and that's pretty much exactly what it is, some considerable mechanics differences aside.

I'm happy. <3

Vyse24

0oeoDjd.jpg

Why is Skyloft listed twice?

Cse

Banned
holy shit it seems like every
horrible
brawl stage is going to be back in smash 4

not complaining though

just waiting on the melee and 64 stages now...

Unfortunately, many of the new stages aren't much better.

I definitely hope we get more 64 and Melee stages. Hyrule Castle, Fourside, Great Bay, Green Greens...

Pokemon Stadium 2? Not 1? Why? Just...why? Terrible choice. Dammit Samurai.

Also, this.

Neiteio

I won't be heartbroken at all. For me, Brawl was and is amazing - best in the series... until next month, of course. The best thing this game could do for me is be a bigger, better, tweaked, more balanced version of Brawl... and that's pretty much exactly what it is, some considerable mechanics differences aside.

I'm happy. <3
My sentiment exactly. Well, except the 3DS version has usurped Brawl for me, combining Brawl's variety with improved speed and balance. And the WiiU version will only improve on it further. :)

Just saw the whole thing.

AMAZING.

I love everything from it, from all the frickin' awesome new stages, to the narrator presenting the whole thing, to all double the content compared to 3DS, to the differences of Classic and All Stars Modes, to the sweet motherfuckin KID ICARUS CONVERSATIONS + CHROM, to holly molly all those new modes including coop for most and EIGHT PLAYER SMASH!!!, to Bowser Jr.'s amazing trailer, to Mewtwo sweet DLC.

Man, this is gonna be a Smash to remember.

Cse

Banned
I was talking about the new stages so I'll just address those.

Battlefield is fine
Big Battlefield is too big
Final Destination is fine
I haven't seen much of Mushroom Kingdom U but I thought it had some pretty intrusive hazards.
I'm waiting to judge Mario Galaxy until I play on it. There's too much about the gravity gimmick that we don't know.
We haven't seen nearly enough of Mario Circuit yet to make a judgement call either way.
I'm cautiously optimistic about Jungle Hijinx.
Skyloft is good.
Orbital Gate Assault hinges on how intrusive the missiles are. I really hope they're not too bad because the stage looks fantastic.
Coliseum is too big
Kalos Pokemon League looks like the Fountain of Dreams from hell.
Wrecking Crew has too many levels.
The platforms that rise you up off screen in Wii Fit Studio look annoying.
Miiverse looks way too bland, and it won't even be available on the release date.
Wuhu Island seems to be an autoscroller.
Pilotwings is cool
Pac-Land is an autoscroller
Does Windy Hill Zone use the same gravity effects as the Galaxy stage?
Town and City looks cool.

The above are my opinions on the new stages you listed. An example of something I would consider to be an amazing stage would be Magicant without the flying men.

Magicant without Flying Man would be incredible. Jungle Hijinx also has a rock tower that can be initiated in the frontal plane, which subsequently falls backwards and hits players in the posterior plane.

I'm holding out hope for the Kalos Elite 4. I think this stage looks incredible, and I'm really hoping that the Pokemon standing in the background don't interfere at all in the fight.

Orbital Gate looks amazing, but as shown in the Direct, the missiles are quite disruptive.

It's really my only complaint with the game, although it's a fairly significant one. Every single stage seems to employ some annoying gimmick or invasive boss. If it is devoid of either of these, then it's a massive walk off stage. There are very few stages with edges and a lack of disruptive entities or gimmick mechanics.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So has GAF done the irrational and assumed Mewtwo is nickel-diming because you need to buy both systems?

you have poor tastes and that is why your favorite character isn't in this game.

au contraire, he is in the game, just not playable (at the moment, he is gaining some mass before he returns like Ike)!

And seriously, Stadium 1 was broken in Brawl that it's better that it wouldn't return

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Arcanine?
chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

Seriously, WTF is this face suppose to be?!

it's arcanine, can't you recognize :p

Although it's far clearer if you see the full art, but SmashGAF might wonder why there's an anthro muscle arcanine pic

he's referring to Wolf, my favorite Nintendo character

Gleethor

After rewatching the direct, man it really seems like Sakurai poured his soul into this game. I thought the same thing after Brawl but the content on display here blows even that out of the water. If he really is done after 4, this would be a fitting "Final Smash" for him.

Tesseract

Banned
i hope u players get lan adapters, they're like 7 bucks on amazon. although if glory online ds over wifi is fine, it should be on u as well.

Anth0ny

After rewatching the direct, man it really seems like Sakurai poured his soul into this game. I thought the same thing after Brawl but the content on display here blows even that out of the water. If he really is done after 4, this would be a fitting "Final Smash" for him.

he'll be back

he'll always be back

Neiteio

Kind of interesting there's a Mario Kart 8 stage, but no stages based on Tropical Freeze or 3D World... that we know of right now.

Oh well, let's appreciate these three gems:

ssb-wiiu-greatcaveoff76ct9.png

ssb-wiiu-junglehijinx0vfgh.png

ssb-wiiu-wreckingcrew0qe1t.png

WonderzL

Banned
Kind of interesting there's a Mario Kart 8 stage, but no stages based on Tropical Freeze or 3D World... that we know of right now.

Galaxy needed representation more than 3D World (I mean, we have the 3D Land stage). Tropical Freeze not being there is sad, though (I'm assuming we won't get its music)

Neiteio

Sakamoto's Waifu
Kinsei, your avatar just reminded me:

I really want Captain Toad as a DLC character. Imagine a side special where he zips forward in his mine-cart, flinging turnips. Or swinging around the pickaxe powerup. Or recovering with the Starshroom.

And his alternate model would be Toadette, of course. :)

Hazu

It sucks that I don't get to play offline with my friends nowadays like I used to when I was young, because it would have been the game of my life.

This game will be so awesome, I don't even want to play the 3DS version anymore because of that. :x

Not really feeling that Wrecking Crew stage at all. It looks gross and makes me feel mildly sick when I see it. The final destination version's gonna look like a bad custom stage. I also keep thinking The Great Cave Offensive will be terrible to play on, but it just hasn't really sunk in that you don't need to knock people off the edges of the stage to kill them yet.

This is weirdly touching.

Yup, now 2001 is the worst September 11th again.

Masked Man

I said wow
I'm guessing Pirate Ship is not back considering the Great Sea track is on Skyloft, though you never know.

I had a similar moment of panic. Given the number of trophies and the amount of effort spent polishing up Toon Link, though, I doubt they would forsake the franchise like that--especially not when the WW got its own stage in Brawl.

Kinsei, your avatar just reminded me:

I really want Captain Toad as a DLC character. Imagine a side special where he zips forward in his mine-cart, flinging turnips. Or swinging around the pickaxe powerup. Or recovering with the Starshroom.

And his alternate model would be Toadette, of course. :)

Hear, hear! This would make me unbelievably happy--and, given that Captain Toad is receiving his own amiibo in the near future, I don't think an appearance as Smash DLC is entirely out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom