• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masked Man

I said wow
tumblr_inline_ndxb931CBF1rpf0sr.jpg

Omg I'm crying lololol

UnknownPokemonStadium.png

Pokemon Stadium 2 appears in one of the Event Match icons.

Nice find! Sounds like a lot of these line up with that Tower of Smash leak... I realize it's been disproven now, but it's truly impressive how many of those stages it got right!

Neiteio

Sorry if this has been posted before but it's been a busy day and haven't been able to keep up with everything. How many 64 or Melee stages confirmed? I really dislike off penchant since Brawl to make most of the stages so small. But at least there's classic stages and the level editor (one of my favorite and most used features from Brawl).
Kongo Jungle is returning from SSB64

hey guys

you know new pork city is going to come back right

makes too much sense with 8p mode

you know it to be true

Wouldn't mind, I hate it the most, but any stage from the past is welcome.

It's nice to see the opponents fly by at the speed of sound when hit by the U. Chimera.

Sorry if this has been posted before but it's been a busy day and haven't been able to keep up with everything. How many 64 or Melee stages confirmed? I really dislike off penchant since Brawl to make most of the stages so small. But at least there's classic stages and the level editor (one of my favorite and most used features from Brawl).
The only 64 Stage is Congo Jungle. Melee has Yoshi's Island, Temple, and Onett.

Caladrius

Yeah... Seeing classic Ridley as the icon was confusing, and seems like an oversight. Maybe they tried to make him work and couldn't? I mean, it should be doable, but Sakurai is a perfectionist; if he didn't fit his vision 110%, then poor Ridley'd probably go the way of the Ice Climbers. Ideally, they're forming a pack with Mewtwo, but for now, I guess Ridley's not a more-obnoxious Yellow Devil, but an even-worse Flying Man...

This is one of the more plausible explanations I've seen today. That said I think the KO icon was just laziness on their part.

To be fair to them you're barely ever going to see it.

holy shit it seems like every
horrible
brawl stage is going to be back in smash 4

not complaining though

just waiting on the melee and 64 stages now...

at least we got Smashville, Castle Siege, Lylat, Delfino, and Halberd
trust me, it could have been a lot worse

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Tower of Smash guessed Jungle Hijinx, Game and Wario (sort of), Delfino Plaza, Luigi's Mansion, Temple, Bridge of Eldin, Yoshi's Island, Norfair, Pokemon Stadium 2, Lylat Cruise, Port Town, Smashville, Skyworld, and Onett.

Not that impressive since all of those but two were Retro Stages.

Kinsei

Banned
I've been saying that here ever since we knew 8-player was a thing.

Off-hand, I think the following normal stages are tame enough:

Stage list

There are probably others slipping my mind, but most normal stages seem more manageable than not. The main "crazy" ones are 75M, Gamer, Norfair, Pyrosphere, Gaur Plains, and Dr. Wily's Castle... Just thinking offhand here.

EDIT: Oh, and apparently Pokémon Stadium 2 is in the game!

I was talking about the new stages so I'll just address those.

Battlefield is fine
Big Battlefield is too big
Final Destination is fine
I haven't seen much of Mushroom Kingdom U but I thought it had some pretty intrusive hazards.
I'm waiting to judge Mario Galaxy until I play on it. There's too much about the gravity gimmick that we don't know.
We haven't seen nearly enough of Mario Circuit yet to make a judgement call either way.
I'm cautiously optimistic about Jungle Hijinx.
Skyloft is good.
Orbital Gate Assault hinges on how intrusive the missiles are. I really hope they're not too bad because the stage looks fantastic.
Coliseum is too big
Kalos Pokemon League looks like the Fountain of Dreams from hell.
Wrecking Crew has too many levels.
The platforms that rise you up off screen in Wii Fit Studio look annoying.
Miiverse looks way too bland, and it won't even be available on the release date.
Wuhu Island seems to be an autoscroller.
Pilotwings is cool
Pac-Land is an autoscroller
Does Windy Hill Zone use the same gravity effects as the Galaxy stage?
Town and City looks cool.

The above are my opinions on the new stages you listed. An example of something I would consider to be an amazing stage would be Magicant without the flying men.

I actually like 75M. I mean, I wouldn't want many or most of the stages to be like it -- oh, heck no -- but as a one-of-a-kind stage, surrounded by many other "tame" stages, it's a nice bit of variety.

And with any luck, the Omega version of 75M will feature the great arcade DK aesthetic. :)

Yeah 75m is definitely my favourite of the bad stages I listed. I can manage to play on it and not hate it completely.

It's still bad though :p

Omega 75m might actually be really cool though :O

Zubz

Banned
This is one of the more plausible explanations I've seen today. That said I think the KO icon was just laziness on their part.

To be fair to them you're barely ever going to see it.

Yeah. If this is true, and they're sitting on the assets like with the Ice Climbers, I'll be really disappointed...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
at least we got Smashville, Castle Siege, Lylat, Delfino, and Halberd
trust me, it could have been a lot worse
I must be wrong for not liking Castle Seige or Delfino.

Delfino is that weird stage where its like half great and half awful. I like the nodded one where the main platform never moves, only the smaller ones change out.

Vidpixel

I wonder if 8-Player Smash was like

"Well, we don't have to worry about Ice Climbers, want to just go for it?"

Honestly, this is actually a very valid point. Sheesh, imagine 16 of those suckers flying all over the screen.

But I mean, I suppose they could have just made the Ice Climber one character and have an outfit swap between the two models.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Does Windy Hill Zone use the same gravity effects as the Galaxy stage?

Don't know, so far we haven't seen any hazards...

I recall though one of the Fiendish Six's voice actors was listed in the 3DS Version (which seemed to list some voices that didn't appear but will in the Wii U Version it seems), so maybe they appear as hazard.

Dryk

I'm waiting to judge Mario Galaxy until I play on it. There's too much about the gravity gimmick that we don't know.
Coliseum is too big
The platforms that rise you up off screen in Wii Fit Studio look annoying.
These 3 are also permanent walk-offs so they'll eventually become edge-camp/Little Mac central

Also I think there might still be hope for the Garden depending on how much of the stage that Aristocrab crosses, how often, and how well telegraphed it is. It might end up as another Halberd.

Zubz

Banned
Honestly, this is actually a very valid point. Sheesh, imagine 16 of those suckers flying all over the screen.

But I mean, I suppose they could have just made the Ice Climber one character and have an outfit swap between the two models.

I'm still hoping they get in as sprites or something; I liked them li'l guys, even if 8-Player mode justifies it for me. It sucks when there's more than 4 of us and we all have different control schemes.

Don't know, so far we haven't seen any hazards...

I recall though one of the Fiendish Six's voice actors was listed in the 3DS Version (which seemed to list some voices that didn't appear but will in the Wii U Version it seems), so maybe they appear as hazard.
I hope it is Zavok or Zazz because the rest are terrible.

has anyone pointed this out yet?
tumblr_inline_ndxkvgVTdK1s0dr91.png

how are you supposed to get alt trophies if you final smash trophies in allstar mode? maybe each character trophy has a set of alternate palettes and poses to choose from for the photos?

Maybe you can choose a picture you have taken before as a backdrop?

Huh, didn't expect there to be more stages in this than I anticipated. That's a pleasant surprise.

Though Pyrosphere looks awful to play on. Ridley is like they were talking amongst themselves, "How cool would it be if Flying Man was as big as the Yellow Devil?!"

Mewtwo was a really nice surprise at the end.

Did the DK stage live up to your expectations? Personally, I love it.

UnknownPokemonStadium.png

Pokemon Stadium 2 appears in one of the Event Match icons.

Nice catch! Makes sense considering the Brawl Pokémon theme appeared in the Greninja trailer

hey guys

you know new pork city is going to come back right

makes too much sense with 8p mode

you know it to be true

Fine with me, though I still hope we're getting Magicant.

RagnarokX

I hear you. Really bummed that it appears to not be coming back, but I suppsoe it's not that surprising given the removal of swimming.

I don't get why people keep bringing this up when discussing Pirate Ship. Swimming was not an integral part of the stage and they've created several new and brought back several old stages that have water. Did getting rid of swimming keep them from bringing back Delfino Plaza or making Tortimer Island, Paper Mario, and Wuhu Island?

Dryk

I don't get why people keep bringing this up when discussing Pirate Ship. Swimming was not an integral part of the stage and they've created several new and brought back several old stages that have water. Did getting rid of swimming keep them from bringing back Delfino Plaza or making Tortimer Island and Wuhu Island?
I just realised how often I'm going to fall down the gaps in Delfino Plaza and die now that the water won't save me :|

Seems like we're looking at a roster of 50-52 stages are all probable unlocks!

That's more than I was expecting to be honest, and the majority of the stages either are or look to be fantastic.

Smash Wii U is going to be so good it hurts. <3

I don't get why people keep bringing this up when discussing Pirate Ship. Swimming was not an integral part of the stage and they've created several new and brought back several old stages that have water. Did getting rid of swimming keep them from bringing back Delfino Plaza or making Tortimer Island, Paper Mario, and Wuhu Island?

Well, regardless of why, they showed a ton of returning stages today and Pirate Ship was not among them. I feel fairly (and unfortunately) confident that it's not coming back. Not to mention the fact that The Great Sea www spotted in Skyloft's My Music list.

Mariolee

Seems like we're looking at a roster of 50-52 stages are all probable unlocks!

That's more than I was expecting to be honest, and the majority of the stages either are or look to be fantastic.

Smash Wii U is going to be so good it hurts. <3

Man, how heartbroken are we gonna be if for some reason it's magically bad like Brawl supposedly got?

Soooo heartbroken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom