• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues1990

My friends, I have some devastating news. The void is back.

HWTgj2n.png

Well, they have to keep that E10 rating in some way, so putting Tharja & Peach's bloomers on the cutting board is the way to go. Also, I love how Ness is (unintentionally) peaking.

Kind of interesting there's a Mario Kart 8 stage, but no stages based on Tropical Freeze or 3D World... that we know of right now.

Oh well, let's appreciate these three gems:

ssb-wiiu-greatcaveoff76ct9.png

ssb-wiiu-junglehijinx0vfgh.png

ssb-wiiu-wreckingcrew0qe1t.png

Wrecking Crew looks really awkward. Like a weird mix of Luigi's Mansion/Tomodachi Life with a vertical scrolling esque set up.

And GCO is going to be fun until people realize that camping for throws is the best way too play. Stamina Mode seems like a way better fit for this stage (providing the "danger zones" aren't OHKO on Stamina)

Not really feeling that Wrecking Crew stage at all. It looks gross and makes me feel mildly sick when I see it. The final destination version's gonna look like a bad custom stage. I also keep thinking The Great Cave Offensive will be terrible to play on, but it just hasn't really sunk in that you don't need to knock people off the edges of the stage to kill them yet.

Yup, now 2001 is the worst September 11th again.

The Wrecking Crew stage looks just like Tomodachi Life.
If you can't jump through the floors, I think that would make it significantly more interesting.

Caladrius

I was actually pleasantly surprised to see that Wrecking Crew wasn't an 8 bit copy paste job ala Balloon Fight.

Indeed. We have too many of those as it is.

My favorite part of Smash Bros. stages is seeing old ideas updated with new aesthetics.

I get that it's easier to make the retraux stages, but I find it very boring.

Dryk

The Wrecking Crew stage looks just like Tomodachi Life.
If you can't jump through the floors, I think that would make it significantly more interesting.
If you couldn't jump through the floors it would just be a bunch of Spear Pillar caves on top of one another. Granted that would be interesting, I'm not sure how long it would be fun.

Zubz

Banned
If you couldn't jump through the floors it would just be a bunch of Spear Pillar caves on top of one another. Granted that would be interesting, I'm not sure how long it would be fun.

Having made that as a Custom Brawl Stage? Not long.

Well there's a break in that one area with the ladder.

And actually yeah, I think that'd be better.
It would make opponent encounters really intense as you couldn't so easily escape..
But it most likely is more like Tomodachi Life and you can just jump and drop through all the platforms.

Thankfully Stage Builder should easily be able to handle my vision. (I'd give it a little more variety than just 3 equal platforms)

ugoo18

So am i write in thinking that with Stage builder we can essentially rebuild Pyrosphere for example without the Ridley hazard making it competitively viable as well as the other boss stages?

My friends, I have some devastating news. The void is back.

HWTgj2n.png

Honestly this does upset me. One of the best things me a friend's would do would be to take very awkward photographs in Brawl when we were fighting.

I have a lot of great memories of that as that was something me and my best friend at the time loved to do together. In fact she was a girl.

If they had to do it because of the age rating I understand.

isn't that what paint mode is for? ( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

This is a fair trade off with what can now be done. Unfortunately I'm horrific at drawing something I've always known and made fun of myself for since high school.

I've made no attempt to practice or anything because I know without a doubt I'm hopeless. Instead I mess around with music substandily.

So am i write in thinking that with Stage builder we can essentially rebuild Pyrosphere for example without the Ridley hazard making it competitively viable as well as the other boss stages?

in theory yes...but I doubt we'll even need it (also this could have been done with a boss toggle)

B0sOS9zCIAAc_-v.jpg

Pic of the day. At long last, the Wii U version supports eight-player multiplayer!! It gets pretty hectic watching eight people duke it out at once. For more details, check out "Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: 50-Fact Extravaganza"
B0sPRWaCcAAcoQ5.jpg

And here's a stage prepared for a large number of fighters, Big Battlefield!! Fighters can spread out, so it should be easier battling on a stage like this.

Dryk

We can do Magicant without the lower platforms. But stuff like Wiley Castle is too dynamic to reproduce.

Even then we don't have access to those stages' themes :(

in theory yes...but I doubt we'll even need it (also this could have been done with a boss toggle)
It would be possible to add in an item switch-like page for the hazards that lets you change their frequency. But Sakurai will never do it.

ugoo18

We can do Magicant without the lower platforms. But stuff like Wiley Castle is too dynamic to reproduce.

Even then we don't have access to those stages' themes :(

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case but i guess that's the closest we can get since Sakurai won't add a hazard switch.

Isn't it the 'original 8' tho

Oh wow! My mistake then. I'm sorry I was only introduced to Smash with Melee and only got into it with Brawl so I don't remember the original N64 roster except it was 8 with 4 unlockable right?

I was just thinking that with the number of charge Marth should be in as a representative. In fact aside Yoshi all those franchises have multiple characters in game.

Though sadly all of Metroid's are Samus..........Sakurai!!!

Edit:

As for stages it kind of sucks with can't use the backgrounds of Final Destination version of stages. But I guess Sakurai feel that would (probably somewhat true) devalue the included stages.

Still with 5 themes couldn't the competitive community agree on 5 great stages to add to usable competitive stages in the game. I mean there doesn't seem to be that many legal stages in Melee anyway.

It would be possible to add in an item switch-like page for the hazards that lets you change their frequency. But Sakurai will never do it.

It could but Sakurai's hazard switch dislike makes that seem unlikely and FD mode strips the stages of their identity or personality.

I know that, and it sucks, but I'm saying it would be nice if there were one.

also nice POTD, and is the Miiverse stage really just Battlefield with Miiverse comments in the background?

Dryk

Oh man, those pics of the day.

Especially the first one... how far Smash has come. The original eight, all in the same match at once. I love this so much.
It's so crazy to think that back then we didn't even have access to Battlefield or FD, or even names for them.

I know that, and it sucks, but I'm saying it would be nice if there were one.
It's the thing I dislike most about the way the games are currently made. I mean the variables are in the code, and they have to be tweakable for testing. Let us use them!

Possibilities...

- The Original 8
- Kirby's Mass Attack (8 Kirbies)
- Super Mario Free-for-All (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina, Yoshi, Bowser Jr, DK)
- Koopalings Duel
- Nothing but Pikmin (8 Olimars)
- Furry Free-for-All (DK, Diddy, Sonic, DHD, Fox, Falco... shit, we're two off)
- Lightning Smash (8 Sonics, Bunny Hoods, Superspicy Curry)
- End of the Universe (8 Captain Falcons)

Wait a second isn't that regular Battlefield the original 8 are on in the first picture? I thought 8-player wouldn't be possible on such a stage especially with a special version of Battlefield for 8 players.

Also do you guys think we'll be able to access those super large stages with only 4 characters?

Will we press Y for those stages like we press X for Omega ones. As was hoping C would be used for Battlefield versions (Final Destination versions with platforms).

Wait a second isn't that regular Battlefield the original 8 are on in the first picture? I thought 8-player wouldn't be possible on such a stage especially with a special version of Battlefield for 8 players.

Also do you guys think we'll be able to access those super large stages with only 4 characters?

Will we press Y for those stages like we press X for Omega ones. As was hoping C would be used for Battlefield versions (Final Destination versions with platforms).

8-players can go on regular battlefield as well. It wasn't grayed out in the direct so its playable but probably tiny and hilarious to play. They also said the large stages would show up online (which is 4-player only), but far less frequently, so I assume yes.

Battlefield works, and the large battle field gets it's own slot.

They never said you can't access Battlefield with eight players, just that there's also a bigger one.

Plus Sakurai has access to the devtools to take pictures so he can just make whatever he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom