• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo

What do you mean?

ipLzZVYEg8QZ6.jpg

Two of the same stage. Why? Just because of the size?

If you mean hidden/unlockable stages, of course we're getting some. We already know of several, and there will definitely be more beyond those. The stage select screens they showed in the Direct are not final.
Yeah, that's what I mean.
Are we getting even more stages than those we can see in the picture I quoted?

Neiteio

You can play on the Smash Bros. menu? What's with that bottom right stage?
This is the My Music page. The icon you're asking about is to change the music that plays on the menu screens.

Also, it appears Smashville is not on that screen. So let's say they kept the icons the same size rather than shrinking and rearranging them. There'd be at least room for four unlockable stages.

Those four unlockable stages would be:

- Smashville (confirmed in other screens)
- Magicant (indirectly confirmed by Flying Man's appearance in Smash Tour)
- Pokémon Stadium 2 (confirmed during Event mode segment)
- Pac-Land (confirmed stage that isn't listed here)

ipLzZVYEg8QZ6.jpg

Two of the same stage. Why? Just because of the size?

Yeah, that's what I mean.
Are we getting even more stages than those we can see in the picture I quoted?

Yep, Sakurai specified in today's Direct that Battlefield and Big Battlefield - the two stages you're talking about - are indeed separate stages. Big Battlefield is geared toward 8-player matches.

And yes, we definitely are getting more stages beyond what's listed there. We've known Pac-Land exists for a long time and it's not shown there, and from the Event Matches we saw in the Direct we know Pokémon Stadium 2 is in the game, and it's not there.

There's also no version of Flat Zone there, and I think we can safely assume Mr. Game & Watch will at least get Flat Zone or Flat Zone 2 back.

It's also very likely Magicant and Mute City SNES are in, as each major franchise seems to be getting at least two stages from what we've seen and Mother and F-Zero both only have one stage so far, and they're returning ones to boot. It makes too much sense for them to be in the game, Magicant especially because there's a Flying Man token in Smash Tour.

Neo Dark

Yeah.. that's what I thought it was but why is the icon for it like that? I was like, in brawl.. it said my music or something if I recall. But here.. we have something that looks like the main menu. And like someone said, THAT WOULD BE AN AWESOME STAGE! Get to it Sakurai!

rekameohs

Banned
Yeah.. that's what I thought it was but why is the icon for it like that? I was like, in brawl.. it said my music or something if I recall. But here.. we have something that looks like the main menu. And like someone said, THAT WOULD BE AN AWESOME STAGE! Get to it Sakurai!

What are you talking about? It's exactly the same in Brawl.

Roo

Yep, Sakurai specified in today's Direct that Battle and Big Battlefield - the two stages you're talking about - are indeed separate stages. Big Battlefield is geared toward 8-player matches.

And yes, we definitely are getting more stages beyond what's listed there. We've known Pac-Land exists for a long time and it's not shown there, and from the Event Matches we saw in the Direct we know Pokémon Stadium 2 is in the game, and it's not there.

There's also no version of Flat Zone there, and I think we can safely assume Mr. Game & Watch will at least get Flat Zone or Flat Zone 2 back.

It's also very likely Magicant and Mute City 3DS are in, as each major franchise seems to be getting at least two stages from what we've seen and Mother and F-Zero both only have one returning stage so far. It makes too much sense for them to be in the game, Magicant especially because there's a Flying Man token in Smash Tour.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm so stoked we're getting even more stages.
The selection is marvelous right now but more is always welcome.

Masked Man

I said wow
Lucas coming as DLC with stages based on memorable locales from his game such as Saturn Valley, Osohe Castle, and New Pork City (
lol
) to coincide with the long-awaited US release of Mother 3 for WiiU Virtual Console, and the announcement of Mother 4 for New3DS.

Kumatora is an alternate costume

Stop taunting me like this, Moonlight. ;____;

If you're going to dream, dream hard.

DLC is titled "The MOTHERlode". Lucas returns, Ninten alt for Ness, Claus now a full alt, Jeff new character. Magicant and New Pork City arrive along with Cave of the Past new stage.

Then MOTHER 3 heads west. And EarthBound gets an HD remaster. And then MOTHER 4.

If you're REALLY going to dream hard, though, then Claus wouldn't be an alt--he would be his own character with a unique moveset, if you catch my drift.
My most-wanted character!

ugoo18

Did someone make a gif of that 3DS vs WiiU music part?

I remember seeing it in one of the Smash topics post direct but can't remember which one.

Kangi

If you're REALLY going to dream hard, though, then Claus wouldn't be an alt--he would be his own character with a unique moveset, if you catch my drift.
My most-wanted character!
Not before Ninten, though. But if Jeff actually made it in, bring anyone else on.

Kangi

Aside from being the protagonist of the first game and rounding out the series representation, what would Ninten bring to the table?
Being more interesting than Claus? =p

Standard MOTHER 3 spoilers:
Unless they incorporated Masked Man stuff in with Claus, but I'm unsure if they'd go there. But as presented, being spun off from an alt color, if we were to just get another standard PSI user as a MOTHER rep, I'd prefer Ninten.

nerdbot

What could possibly top Mewtwo?

Mewtwo is cool but he doesn't really...mean that much to me :')

I guess I'm kind of in this spot where I'm hoping real hard that there's more coming than Mewtwo, and sooner than later, because it could be AGES before we see Lucas or Wolf or a character I actually want to play as.

I don't want to be a downer because I'm pumped as hell for DLC and I know tons of people are excited for Mewtwo, but for me it's just...it's gonna be a loooooong wait before there's a new character for me to be excited about, huh?

I'm VERY curious to see if Kongo Jungle 64 has gotten any visual upgrades in this game. We know the returning Brawl and Melee stages have... it'll be interesting to see.

God, I really want Saffron City, Hyrule Castle, and Kingdom II to return, but I know they won't. Seems like only past stages that appeared in Brawl or Melee are fair game.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Something DK fans should find a bit poetic: Between the following three stages, Smash WiiU represents three distinct eras of Donkey Kong -- the arcade area, the Rare era, and the Retro Studios era:

Wait, the N64 stage was confirmed? where and when? screenshots pls

Neiteio

I'm VERY curious to see if Kongo Jungle 64 has gotten any visual upgrades in this game. We know the returning Brawl and Melee stages have... it'll be interesting to see.

God, I really want Saffron City, Hyrule Castle, and Kingdom II to return, but I know they won't. Seems like only past stages that appeared in Brawl or Melee are fair game.
Apparently the stage is called "Congo Jungle" in Smash Bros. 64. "Kongo Jungle," with a "K," is the Melee version with the waterfalls and DK Rap. If this is true, I hope they update the title to have a "K" in the WiiU version, as well, so it sounds more like something from Donkey Kong's world and less like a real place in Africa!

Ridley :p

I'm also on the belief that we'll get more than Mewtwo. At least another veteran will be packaged as DLC pack. But I'm pretty happy with Mewtwo if he's the only DLC character.

Mewtwo is cool but he doesn't really...mean that much to me :')

I guess I'm kind of in this spot where I'm hoping real hard that there's more coming than Mewtwo, and sooner than later, because it could be AGES before we see Lucas or Wolf or a character I actually want to play as.

I don't want to be a downer because I'm pumped as hell for DLC and I know tons of people are excited for Mewtwo, but for me it's just...it's gonna be a loooooong wait before there's a new character for me to be excited about, huh?

How long would you say it takes to make a character?

Idk, it looks like they just started working on him, but I doubt it would take 4 months to make one character.

Every other rumored character that we haven't already tried in Melee.

O'rely?

Cody_D165

Banned
Apparently the stage is called "Congo Jungle" in Smash Bros. 64. "Kongo Jungle," with a "K," is the Melee version with the waterfalls and DK Rap. If this is true, I hope they update the title to have a "K" in the WiiU version, as well, so it sounds more like something from Donkey Kong's world and less like a real place in Africa!

In Melee it's "Past Stages: Kongo Jungle."

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
'Mr. Video Game himself' eh? I'll accept it as it is apparently what Miyamoto intended to call him even before Jumpman.

random25

How long would you say it takes to make a character?

Idk, it looks like they just started working on him, but I doubt it would take 4 months to make one character.

It may take quite a good amount of time given that most characters have their own unique animations plus they need to be tested in different conditions and in different versions. But I feel that given that he was announced this early, they may have started early on working on him. He already got a trophy and a 3D model so there's that. It might appear barebones if the paid DLC (for those who won't get both versions) is just Mewtwo so we'll see the character get packaged together with another character or more likely a new stage or two.

That kinda makes me grumpy. What's wrong with Blue Bomber?

- Mr. Video Game Himself
- Blue Metal Hero
- Bounty Hunter Extraordinaire
- King of the Jungle

Mega Man's name is... really lame. "Blue Metal Hero"?

With these titles, I guess their not going to have previous monikers like "Blue Blur" or "Green Thunder".

Masked Man

I said wow
Being more interesting than Claus? =p

Standard MOTHER 3 spoilers:
Unless they incorporated Masked Man stuff in with Claus, but I'm unsure if they'd go there. But as presented, being spun off from an alt color, if we were to just get another standard PSI user as a MOTHER rep, I'd prefer Ninten.

Hence my a proposal for a completely unique moveset—and my lovely username. ;) In my mind, Masked Man Claus is the only Claus viable for Smash.

That kinda makes me grumpy. What's wrong with Blue Bomber?

Or "Super Fighting Robot"! Major missed opportunity, but I'm pretty sure they just stuck too close to the original Japanese. :/

Kangi

Hence my a proposal for a completely unique moveset—and my lovely username. ;) In my mind, Masked Man Claus is the only Claus viable for Smash.
More onslaught of MOTHER 3 spoiler boxes.

Well, they have three options for Claus: normal Claus, Claus + Masked Man, or full-on Masked Man. Third would be fine if they kept references to him being Claus on the DL, first would be a lot more boring when someone like Ninten or Paula could fill the role. I don't think I'd like the second by way of him being a walking spoiler - it's one thing with Sheik, but the Claus thing is really something special that should be preserved.

I was just referring to more of a Dark Pit scenario, hence why I was skimming over the potential of the third option. I'd still prefer Jeff, though. =p

So this is going to be something stupid as heck, but I have to ask.

The website lists controllers for 8P Smash, and apparently U Pro Cs have a separate limit from Remotes and attachments (specifically noted to share one). Is that seriously true? I thought they use the same protocol, to the point of Wii syncing with U Pro Cs... So such restriction (no 8 Remotes but 7 Remotes and 1 U Pro) would be sort of artificial... I suppose... Maybe I'm missing something.

Thank you for trying to understand.

Metal B

My assumptions for unlockable stages and future DLC:
  • There should be at least a third Pokemon Stage. it would totally surprise me, if a series with six characters only gets two stages.
  • I also guess a third Kibry-Stage. Every one of Sakurai's childs will get his own stage.
  • There has to be a Bowser Stage. Bowser got a complete makeover and his son and the Kooplings joined the game. All of them need to have at least one stage.
  • We properly get Magicant and Pork City for Earthbound. First we need a new stage for the series and second it would be a great 8 Player stage. But i guess, Pork City will be DLC.
  • There have to be stages for each Mr. Game & Watch and Duck Hunt Duo.
  • Having only one N64 would be strange.
  • Getting a new F-Zero stage or the 3DS one is a must (especially since it is based of a console game)
  • Five Zelda characters and only three stages? Of which two are only classic stages? There has to be at least a fourth one.
  • A third Fire Emblem stage is also a possibility.
  • A Yoshi's Story Stage was in every Smash game. It would be strange not having this basic stage back again and only on the 3DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom