• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Since stages are game exclusive how annoyed would y'chaps be if the first DLC stages were only for the 3DS version?

Metal B

Man, I keep forgetting about it, but it's really nice to have events back. Looks like they're handling them really well.
i also love, that strange winning conditions are back. Having all characters in pitfalls or set to sleep, sounds already interesting. I hope Sakurai goes all out with them (and the developers of Mario Kart takes notice).

Neo Dark

Since stages are game exclusive how annoyed would y'chaps be if the first DLC stages were only for the 3DS version?

Wouldn't really be that annoyed since the Wii U one already will have more right off the bat. Plus I have the 3DS game so.. more reason to play Smash on the go

i also love, that strange winning conditions are back. Having all characters in pitfalls or set to sleep, sounds already interesting. I hope Sakurai goes all out with them (and the developers of Mario Kart takes notice).
Yeah for real. They did it for Mario Kart DS and then just randomly dropped it.

Kangi

Jigglypuff playing babysitter is absolutely adorable, for the record.

Thoraxes

I just saw the direct and holy cocks.

Anyone that can make such a content dense game must know the secret to manipulating time and space, harnessing the power of black holes to pack it all in.

Also, 1080p confirmed in there too? Jesus.

Bah, of course I come in to say I've found two more fighter taglines in the Direct footage and you guys are already talking about them. :p

God, "Blue Metal Hero" is so lame for Mega Man. How did they not manage to use either "The Blue Bomber" or "Super Fighting Robot?" It's actually shocking...

Apparently the stage is called "Congo Jungle" in Smash Bros. 64. "Kongo Jungle," with a "K," is the Melee version with the waterfalls and DK Rap. If this is true, I hope they update the title to have a "K" in the WiiU version, as well, so it sounds more like something from Donkey Kong's world and less like a real place in Africa!

Ha, I had a feeling I had the spelling wrong. Like you said, though, "Congo" just looks so weird in relation to Donkey Kong!

I just saw the direct and holy cocks.

Anyone that can make such a content dense game must know the secret to manipulating time and space, harnessing the power of black holes to pack it all in.

Also, 1080p confirmed in there too? Jesus.
It just required the blood-sacrifice of the Ice Climbers to pull it off.

Real question, though: If the Ice Climbers being included would have made 8-Player Smash impossible (which, who knows?), would you rather have Ice Climbers be playable or 8-Players?

Not sure if these have been discussed yet, but in addition to Mega Man's and Mario's Boxing Ring tagline, you can also see Kirby's and Pikachu's at 30:55 in the Direct.

Kirby: The Pink Puffball
Pikachu: Pika Pika!

Kirby's is fine if a little uninspired, but Pikachu's is just... huh?

EDIT: Another find! 31:02 shows us that there are at least 437 songs in Smash Wii U! That's... I can't... Sakurai loves us too much. <3

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Nintendo is so worried they would be seen taking suggestions from the web they came up with taglines no one would ever suggest.

ffdgh

30:55 in the Direct.

EDIT: Another find! 31:02 shows us that there are at least 437 songs in Smash Wii U! That's... I can't... Sakurai loves us too much. <3

Think of the croud chreer.

"Pika Pika Pikachu!"

Not sure if these have been discussed yet, but in addition to Mega Man's and Mario's Boxing Ring tagline, you can also see Kirby's and Pikachu's at 30:55 in the Direct.

sa8icAzh.jpg
Do you guys have any ideas about this? I don't think it's a new item, neither something Xenoblade related.

nerdbot

Real question, though: If the Ice Climbers being included would have made 8-Player Smash impossible (which, who knows?), would you rather have Ice Climbers be playable or 8-Players?

If it came to Ice Climbers vs. 8-player mode, ICs no question. 8-player Smash looks hilariously unplayable. I have a feeling the novelty will wear off very quickly, especially since it isn't even available online.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
As long as CDs don't disappear after two nanoseconds like they did in Brawl then I don't mind their return.

Masked Man

I said wow
More stage discoveries: A closer look at the Yoshi's Woolly World stage in the upper- and bottom-right screenshots! :D

More onslaught of MOTHER 3 spoiler boxes.

Well, they have three options for Claus: normal Claus, Claus + Masked Man, or full-on Masked Man. Third would be fine if they kept references to him being Claus on the DL, first would be a lot more boring when someone like Ninten or Paula could fill the role. I don't think I'd like the second by way of him being a walking spoiler - it's one thing with Sheik, but the Claus thing is really something special that should be preserved.

I was just referring to more of a Dark Pit scenario, hence why I was skimming over the potential of the third option. I'd still prefer Jeff, though. =p

Honestly, plain old Claus would exclude his alternate persona, which is a huge part of what makes him such a compelling character, and I know Sakurai has cut the transformation gimmick, so I say full-on Masked Man or bust. I agree his identity should remain as shrouded in mystery as possible, but I can totally see him removing his mask for one of his taunts. I would be down for Jeff in Smash as well--just not before my beloved MM. ;)

I couldn't find the Boxing Ring taglines in the JP version, so perhaps they used different footage. Pretty disappointing nicknames, considering they could have been really creative. :/

Holy shit! The JP version only showed 364, so that's wonderful and almost unbelievable news.

Sakurai could literally say "gtfo Ridley will never EVER be playable as long as I'm directing Smash Bros" and people would STILL believe....
I can't think of anything that would end Ridley speculation other than his playability.
Imagine if they sold Ridley to Microsoft. People would still think it was possible.
4 Ridleys is just too much. You him shrunk down? That's not Ridley.
Exactly.
Ridley-size.png

wjsWaNZ.png

WGKuCQw.png

Looks good to me.
Please let this die. He is not going to be playable. What fans think and what Sakurai thinks is not the same.
Nope, that's the Woolly World stage. Look at the design of the cloud.

I think it's safe to say this is a Woolly World stage. The design of the level, the placement, the music, it all matches to Woolly World. It's Woolly World, there's no need for questioning it. I'm 99.999% certain.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The only thing that image comparison does is prove that he is still massive compared to even the biggest fighters.

Neo Dark

As long as CDs don't disappear after two nanoseconds like they did in Brawl then I don't mind their return.

Getting CDs sucked half the time. Sometimes mew would show up and throw one on off the stage. Other times you almost grab one and get killed and end up not getting it. Maybe they should do it where if you grab it.. it's guaranteed a song you haven't unlocked and if you didn't.. it's a random draw from even ones you already collected.

Forkball

Getting CDs sucked half the time. Sometimes mew would show up and throw one on off the stage. Other times you almost grab one and get killed and end up not getting it. Maybe they should do it where if you grab it.. it's guaranteed a song you haven't unlocked and if you didn't.. it's a random draw from even ones you already collected.

But now we can draw a CD factory!

I lost count of how many times I said OH SHIT watching the direct. There were so many unexpected surprises, even with all the leaks and speculation. THE REAL SMASH BEGINS ON NOV. 21.

Also lol at the Mewtwo whining in that thread. Some people have no common sense.

Neo Dark

But now we can draw a CD factory!

I lost count of how many times I said OH SHIT watching the direct. There were so many unexpected surprises, even with all the leaks and speculation. THE REAL SMASH BEGINS ON NOV. 21.

Also lol at the Mewtwo whining in that thread. Some people have no common sense.

While we're at it, we should insist they draw one of these factories.
cloning-machine.jpg

Then they can clone their own Mewtwo or whatever Pokemon they desire for free!

DoubleYou

Man, gotta say. Gaur plain was set to be my favorite stage but I really dislike that there is now a boss battle in it. It's cool and all but I would love it if it was optional. Like semi-omega stages.

Veeboy

Lol people are still talking about Ridley. Let him rest in peace already.

You and I both know thats not going to happen. Wishing for Ridley talk to end is just as futile as thinking Ridley is going to be in.

Neither is going to happen.

As much as I want Ridley in.

Constructed a list.
I think we can assume there will be a stage for Game & Watch (maybe we've seen it?) and we'll probably see at least one new stage for Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon.
One thing is for sure: we're not done yet.

Still not totally on board with Kongo Jungle though. It looks unchanged, and it seems to be a placeholder for Jungle Hijinxs. I added it anyway.

How funny would it be if we got trophies for Woolly World that spoiled the game before it was even out?

Dr. Buni

There are already new Mario, Zelda and Pokémon stages. I would rather get more new stages from other franchises :p
You and I both know thats not going to happen. Wishing for Ridley talk to end is just as futile as thinking Ridley is going to be in.

Neither is going to happen.

As much as I want Ridley in.
I also wanted Ridley in ,but speculating about his inclusion as a DLC, at this point, is so silly. You are right though, people are never giving up on Ridley.
What could possibly top Mewtwo?
Any newcomer would top Mewtwo for me. Don't care about Pokémon reps (other than my cutie Pikachu). For example, Dixie DLC would make me so happy.

I absolutely LOVE the Wrecking Crew stage. That is EXACTLY how retro stages should be handled and why I fell in love with Smash in the first place. Keeping the classic style but updating it to modern era standards.

Balloon Fight, Mute City, Kirby's Dream Land are fucking shit compared to this. Love the concept of having those stages but they're always ruined by using the horribly ugly 8/16-bit style. Yes it's nostalgic but what a waste. Imagine how 75m could look with the Wrecking Crew graphics. 8 bit has it's charm and I do like it but in Smash I would much rather everything be brought into the current era.

Dr. Buni

Mario is "Mr. Video Games Himself" - he's going to get more stages than anyone else, naturally.
Sounds fair and I love Mario stages. That isn't valid for Zelda and Pokémon though :)

How about a new Metroid stage without a giant purple Flying Man or stupid rising lava instead? :D
It is never happening because fuck Metroid in Smash Bros

Forkball

I absolutely LOVE the Wrecking Crew stage. That is EXACTLY how retro stages should be handled and why I fell in love with Smash in the first place. Keeping the classic style but updating it to modern era standards.

Balloon Fight, Mute City, Kirby's Dream Land are fucking shit compared to this. Love the concept of having those stages but they're always ruined by using the horribly ugly 8/16-bit style. Yes it's nostalgic but what a waste. Imagine how 75m could look with the Wrecking Crew graphics. 8 bit has it's charm and I do like it but in Smash I would much rather everything be brought into the current era.
Wrecking Crew was a pleasant surprise. I'm glad we are getting some retro stages. It's hard to be nostalgic about a stage from a year old game. I really wish the 3DS version had more classic Game Boy stages.

Sounds fair and I love Mario stages. That isn't valid for Zelda and Pokémon though :)

How about a new Metroid stage without a giant purple Flying Man or stupid rising lava instead? :D

Pokemon and Zelda are number 2 and 3 in terms of how big they are to Nintendo. Each of those had two stages in the 3DS version - we'll probably see one more for each in the Wii U version to balance it out.
I'm not disagreeing that we could use a creative Metroid stage, I'm just saying we can expect one more for Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon.

I must say, I'm surprised we didn't see any mention of boss playability through the GamePad. Seems that with Metal Face, Ridley, and Yellow Devil, there would be some use for having all these stage bosses.

I guess Sakurai just really likes stage bosses then.

Dr. Buni

Pokemon and Zelda are number 2 and 3 in terms of how big they are to Nintendo. Each of those had two stages in the 3DS version - we'll probably see one more for each in the Wii U version to balance it out.
I'm not disagreeing that we could use a creative Metroid stage, I'm just saying we can expect one more for Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon.
I understand that, but I am hoping we don't get more Pokémon and Zelda stages. Unless those stages are "Unova Pokémon League" and "Spirit Train" from the 3DS version.

Speaking of which, I hope they release the 3DS stages for the Wii U as DLC. Magicant, Unova Pokémon League, Spirit Train, Tomodachi Life, Paper Mario, Rainbow Road, Living Room and Pac-Maze do not deserve to be forever stuck in the gimped version of Smash 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom