• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

emb

"Sakurai's standards"

75M IN SSB4
Ridley in SSB4.

Also, every stage turning into FD instead of having a unique platform setup. Also, multi-air dodge. Also SSB4's edge-trump mechanic.

Sakurai has no standards, confirmed. Has he ever made a game before?

Neoxon

"Sakurai's standards"

75M IN SSB4

What you say makes sense. I just find it hard to believe that three characters were far enough along in summer that someone on a localization team saw them and was convinced they were playable, yet we only hear about one of them months later and are given zero footage. These characters were apparently so far along that the localization guy was convinced they would be released by November, yet we have only heard of one that won't be released until maybe May.

I just feel like there's more stacked up against Spainkiller's source than there is in support. Not to mention Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie, and Chorus Men are they internet's go-to fighters in terms of desire and believability. If SK's source pulled a Gematsu and called out some random ass characters that no one saw coming and was right, then I'd be on board, but right now there's nothing that SK's source is saying that makes me believe him.

The only, ONLY leak that turned out to be true was the Vaanrose/Ninka/ESRB leak, which involved multiple sources basically saying the same thing. Yet SK's source is part of the European localization team and is the only person who has come out with this info, and no one has backed him up.
The Gematsu leak was also mostly on the money, with Chrom being in the cards early on & the Chorus Kids possibly being DLC now. They also got the DLC & Lucas being gone right.

georly

"Sakurai's standards"

75M IN SSB4

Ridley in SSB4.

Sakurai has no standards, confirmed. Has he ever made a game before?

I didn't say sakurai's TASTES. I said standards. Everything he shows off is at least presentable. If mewtwo's animations/intro/etc are unfinished, he's not going to show them off. Presumably the character model is finished, which is why he showed him.

Also, I read on the 8-player-smash neogaf thread that you could still use 5 players on every stage. Is this true?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wrecking Crew stage looks kind of... bad. Visually. Pretty much nothing about it seems to match the quality of the rest of what we've seen.

emb

I didn't say sakurai's TASTES. I said standards. Everything he shows off is at least presentable. If mewtwo's animations/intro/etc are unfinished, he's not going to show them off. Presumably the character model is finished, which is why he showed him.

Also, I read on the 8-player-smash neogaf thread that you could still use 5 players on every stage. Is this true?
Other M Ridley is not presentable. Don't lie now.

I'm just being obnoxious though. Of course I don't like the design, but Ridley actually looks pretty well realized for what it's trying to be.

With regards to the last part, I hope so. I'd actually wish we could do 8 players on every stage. I'd love to pick the smallest stages and just enjoy as the chaos ensues.
Wrecking Crew stage looks kind of... bad. Visually. Pretty much nothing about it seems to match the quality of the rest of what we've seen.
True to the original.

Actually I kinda like it. A touch bland yeah, but there's only so much to work with.

Richie

Brawl had 41 stages total, and we have at least forty here right off the bat.

Any fears I had in regards to stage roster have been calmed down.

Axass

The leaker I know WhatsApped me this morning.

"The Ridley boss showed in last night's Direct was pretty much the model I saw. Same goes for the Mewtwo reveal. Anyway, sorry, I assumed Ridley would be playable because of the quality of the model. Dixie and Chorus Men could be anything, I guess."

Well, there ya go.

But, anyway, Mewtwo, woohoo!

Wait, didn't he say he saw them move on 3DS too? I remember someone mentioning it. If so I'm afraid he made everything up.

I think with Mewtwo that people are making the mistake of assuming he won't be finished until 2015.

Just because he's being released in March or whatever doesn't mean it will take that long to develop him. He could be almost done already. Things are withheld for marketing reasons all the time releasing Mewtwo in Spring insured continued interest in Smash Bros through that quarter.

georly

I think with Mewtwo that people are making the mistake of assuming he won't be finished until 2015.

Just because he's being released in March or whatever doesn't mean it will take that long to develop him. He could be almost done already. Things are withheld for marketing reasons all the time releasing Mewtwo in Spring insured continued interest in Smash Bros through that quarter.

Yeah. Hyrule warriors and Mario kart 8's DLC are likely similar. They're either done or close to done on almost everything they're going to be adding for DLC, but are staggering it to keep people playing/interested.

Hatchtag

Banned
Yup, outlines and everything.

And he claimed he saw Ridley on the 3ds version, right?
I hate to pry your source, but if by chance he saw a reworked move and could describe it, that'd be good evidence towards him not being a liar (assuming the reworked move appeared I mean).

emb

Is this the right thread to ask?

Does using the 3DS as a controller for the Wii U version require you to have Smash 3DS?
Good question.

I want to say probably, since the 3DS version has relevant voice files, and I think the Wii U connection option on the 3DS game mentions using it as a Smash controller for Wii U.

georly

Is this the right thread to ask?

Does using the 3DS as a controller for the Wii U version require you to have Smash 3DS?

Yes:

http://www.smashbros.com/us/howto/entry11.html

"You can use the Nintendo 3DS family of systems as controllers as long as you have a Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS for each system."

It's also likely that's why the Wii U's modes had announcer recordings on the 3DS (Special Orders, 8 player smash, etc), so that when you select them on Wii U, the announcer will say it on your 3DS.

NeonZ

Vets make a good "testing grounds" for DLC.

Besides, only Lucas, Wolf, and IC are left. Might as well complete the cast. Pichu evolved into Pikachu and Roy is already in the game in two ways :p

I'd take Ivysaur over any of the veterans you mention there...

Masked Man

I said wow
The leaker I know WhatsApped me this morning.

"The Ridley boss showed in last night's Direct was pretty much the model I saw. Same goes for the Mewtwo reveal. Anyway, sorry, I assumed Ridley would be playable because of the quality of the model. Dixie and Chorus Men could be anything, I guess."

Well, there ya go.

But, anyway, Mewtwo, woohoo!

Thanks for the update! All I really care about is Chorus Kids, and this gives me hope. Interested to see what those other models were for... If you happen to get any more info, please feel free to share. :D

Does anyone have a screencap of the James McCloud trophy? Something about the F-Zero racers' trophies make me happy.

Eh, I kind of like it. Certainly more than I do the visual style of 75M.

cP6tQwY.jpg

georly

How could he see that Ridley model moving on 3DS? There's not even a Ridley trophy on the 3DS version, Sakurai clearly planned Boss Ridley to be in the Wii U version only. Really seems he's lying.

Or maybe Ridley/Chorus Kids/Dixie were in development for 3DS and cut/delayed for one reason or another. Maybe the game couldn't handle ridley + 4 fighters + 60fps. Maybe dixie felt unfinished/boring and was shelved. Maybe 3DS couldn't handle 4 chorus kids at once.

None of these things disprove it. It's impossible to tell if he made it up or not. We can guess all we want and make assumptions, but there's always the possibility he isn't lying as well. The only way to know for sure is if sakurai flat-out denies that it ever happened.

Spainkiller, if you get a chance, can you also ask if he ever saw moving/playable ice climbers on 3DS?

Jawmuncher

From smashboards

uXMYM1K.jpg

David - Snake
John - Big Boss
blood relative
boss
Hard (life)
Solidarity

Snake Confirmed obviously.
Ignore the Mario Bros in the pic.

Presenting the FULL Super Smash Bros for Wii U Character Select Screen as made by me:

smashagain_by_heavymetallover91-d83ylv2.png

And for good measure, a version of it before we get Mewtwo:

smashagain2_by_heavymetallover91-d83yly1.png

If this isn't what it looks like in the final release then Sakurai, you've done gone fucked up. I toyed around with 5 rows and it looked dreadful. Only thing is there's only space for one more DLC character as opposed to the 3DS' additional 3 so don't know what will happen there but as of now this is the best I can get it to look without seriously fucking with everything.

georly

From smashboards

uXMYM1K.jpg

David - Snake
John - Big Boss
blood relative
boss
Hard (life)
Solidarity

Snake Confirmed obviously.
Ignore the Mario Bros in the pic.

Lol, that has to be an NOA employee screwing with us. Obviously doesn't confirm snake, but it's funny they chose solidarity (which has boss in the description) and used the names david/john. There's no way that's coincidence.

Presenting the FULL Super Smash Bros for Wii U Character Select Screen as made by me:

smashagain_by_heavymetallover91-d83ylv2.png

If this isn't what it looks like in the final release then Sakurai, you've done gone fucked up. I toyed around with 5 rows and it looked dreadful. Only thing is there's only space for one more DLC character as opposed to the 3DS' additional 3 so don't know what will happen there but as of now this is the best I can get it to look without seriously fucking with everything.

The background colors range from orange to yellow to pink, so I assume pink is very right and orange is very left, which would tell me captain falcon is in the wrong place.

Jawmuncher

Lol, that has to be an NOA employee screwing with us. Obviously doesn't confirm snake, but it's funny they chose solidarity (which has boss in the description) and used the names david/john. There's no way that's coincidence.

Yeah definitely thought it was fun how that all pieces together.

-Horizon-

B0sOS9zCIAAc_-v.jpg

Pic of the day. At long last, the Wii U version supports eight-player multiplayer!! It gets pretty hectic watching eight people duke it out at once. For more details, check out "Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: 50-Fact Extravaganza"
B0sPRWaCcAAcoQ5.jpg

And here's a stage prepared for a large number of fighters, Big Battlefield!! Fighters can spread out, so it should be easier battling on a stage like this.

8 player on custom stages will be crazy.

Axass

Or maybe Ridley/Chorus Kids/Dixie were in development for 3DS and cut/delayed for one reason or another. Maybe the game couldn't handle ridley + 4 fighters + 60fps. Maybe dixie felt unfinished/boring and was shelved. Maybe 3DS couldn't handle 4 chorus kids at once.

None of these things disprove it. It's impossible to tell if he made it up or not. We can guess all we want and make assumptions, but there's always the possibility he isn't lying as well. The only way to know for sure is if sakurai flat-out denies that it ever happened.

Spainkiller, if you get a chance, can you also ask if he ever saw moving/playable ice climbers on 3DS?

Should've said I'm less prone to believe him now. Of course we have no way to know if he lied.

Though he apparently works for EU localization... so I don't know how that cut stuff could've reached his eyes, so close to release as well. You don't send WIP stuff that doesn't work yet to localization, right?

In other news, have you seen how beautiful this baby is?

I think I'm throwing up a little. Thank you whoever designed that abomination in Other M

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
And he claimed he saw Ridley on the 3ds version, right?
I hate to pry your source, but if by chance he saw a reworked move and could describe it, that'd be good evidence towards him not being a liar (assuming the reworked move appeared I mean).

I'll ask him.

How could he see that Ridley model moving on 3DS? There's not even a Ridley trophy on the 3DS version, Sakurai clearly planned Boss Ridley to be in the Wii U version only. Really seems he's lying.

I don't know, man, I trust him. 3DS Ridley seems unlikely, yes, but weirder stuff has happened.

The background colors range from orange to yellow to pink, so I assume pink is very right and orange is very left, which would tell me captain falcon is in the wrong place.

The backgrounds are dynamic, as seen in the direct yesterday. I screen captured and then crudely moved the characters round to fit with the unlockables. Falcon's background colour will change when he goes from being on the left to the right.

Looks like that's it for Ridley, shame, wanted another Metroid rep in the game, hopefully there's another Metroid game this gen that warrants a new character for the next smash. Also, did they have to bring back 75M? If I remember, did people really like that stage?

Masked Man

I said wow
Though he apparently works for EU localization... so I don't know how that cut stuff could've reached his eyes, so close to release as well. You don't send WIP stuff that doesn't work yet to localization, right?

As an industry member, I can say this is definitely not true. We work off of in-progress game builds with unfinished assets all the time. People involved with world-building, deciding on terminology/UI issues, etc. get access to information quite early on, and given the scale of this project, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the localization staff learns new information alongside the development of the game.

georly

Should've said I'm less prone to believe him now. Of course we have no way to know if he lied.

Maybe? It's just localization, not playtesting, so you probably just send whatever working build you have. Localization has to start pretty early, too, so you can have trailers with the correct fighter names, etc. If all they're doing is translating text/modifying textures with text, then there's no need to give them a near final build that doesn't crash/etc. They just need to be able to test that their translated text renders in-game properly. If ridley/chorus kids/dixie/mewtwo were in for whatever reason and causing issues or anything, then that doesn't affect localization.

As an industry member, I can say this is definitely not true. We work off of in-progress game builds with unfinished assets all the time. People involved with world-building, deciding on terminology/UI issues, etc. get access to information quite early on, and given the scale of this project, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the localization staff learns new information alongside the development of the game.

Glad to hear my guess (I'm a software engineer, but not in the game world) confirmed by someone who actually localizes! Thanks! Cool to know.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Looks like that's it for Ridley, shame, wanted another Metroid rep in the game, hopefully there's another Metroid game this gen that warrants a new character for the next smash. Also, did they have to bring back 75M? If I remember, did people really like that stage?

Well right now as Metroid fans we have to live with the fact the only rep we will ever get at this point is Samus.

Meanwhile with Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem...

entry13-1.jpg

N64 Congo Jungle is back
I have no idea why bring back THAT and not Hyrule Castle, Dreamland or Saffron City, which are all infinitely more popular

Hear hear!

Looks like they reused the background from the Mega Man reveal.
So it's on the same stage, you mean.

The potential for future DLC with Mewtwo incoming has me frothing at the mouth.

Give me all the cut characters damn it. Give me my Lucas, give me Pichu, give me Roy, and #FreeIceClimbers. Give me all the wanted characters people clamor for. Dixie, K Rool, Ridley...make this the best Smash roster we will ever get in the history of ever.

Because we all know that Smash 5 is going to have so many cuts that we'll be worried for its health.

I'm disappointed you list Pichu before Roy :/

These smash bros character intros make me want a Nintendo CG movie with whoever makes these producing it. They're so so good. Team up with disney or someone who can help w/ the script, but nintendo characters are perfect for animated movies.
Especially since cartoons inspired miyamoto to create many of them.

They made one. It was called the Subspace Emissary.

We have a DK Stage that doesn't suck balls. I'm so happy.

Yup good old Congo Jungle

wtf

No, no one liked 75m. I couldn't tell you what Sakurai - or whoever the stage designer for Smash 4 is - was thinking with these games. The 3DS version has more than a few awful stages, and now the Wii U version is looking to be similarly as bad.

Look forward to the return of Fan Favorite stages like Hanenbow, Rumble Falls, and New Pork City.

Well right now as Metroid fans we have to live with the fact the only rep we will ever get at this point is Samus.

Meanwhile with Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem...
The only chance for Metroid being properly repped is Sakurai stepping down or a good Metroid game becoming popular in Japan. And, well, neither of those seem likely for quite a while.

I look forward to Metroid finally getting the recognition is deserves in, say, Smash 7.

No, no one liked 75m. I couldn't tell you what Sakurai - or whoever the stage designer for Smash 4 is - was thinking with these games. The 3DS version has more than a few awful stages, and now the Wii U version is looking to be similarly as bad.

Look forward to the return of Fan Favorite stages like Hanenbow, Rumble Falls, and New Pork City.

Got to tell you, I had trying to KO people in mushroomy kingdom, especially when the block prevent them from dying. They could've replace that stage with a new DK or Metroid stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom