• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axass

BTW there's no actual reason to have Pokémon Stadium 2 on Wii U over the much superior original version as a retro stage. Why Sakurai, why!?

Pizza

Man what the ACTUAL fuck with Rayquaza flying through Kalos League as a hazard.

Like, WHY? He's not even relevant in those games.

His remake is coming out the same day, right? Having both the new location from x/y with an easily remade boss representing the remake is a cool way to rep pokemon this gen so far, imo

emb

And mostly worthless. You can have only so many size and height variations of a straight platform.
Nah, that's what omega is now. Variations of one big platform. This would be size and height variations of a varying number of different platforms. Could also introduce moving platforms and different shapes for the main platforms. It would be a lot more worthwhile than what we have now.

BTW there's no actual reason to have Pokémon Stadium 2 on Wii U over the much superior original version as a retro stage. Why Sakurai, why!?
He probably would have ruined Stadium 1 again by making the windmill impossible to go through, anyway. We're not allowed to have more than three good stages per game nowadays, it's walkoffs/bosses/just downright awful designs for everyone!

Sorry I'm really salty.

Azuran

Banned
Also if you guys were excited the Pokemon League wouldn't have hazards, Nintendo has a screenshot of Rayquaza in his Brawl boss pose in their press stuff.

So yea... probably a Rayquaza boss on that stage as a port from Brawl...

I love it when Sakurai breaks the dreams and hopes of everyone looking for "legal" stages.

Why are we forgetting Master/Crazy Hand and Core?

Because they don't show up in multiplayer matches, just in single player so I'm not counting them

Also all you guys who have issue with Yellow Devil... why don't you just kill him? He really doesn't have that much health and he can usually be killed right after he spawns if not after only 1 shift to the other side of the stage.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I don't want more vets as DLC, it is such a waste of opportunity. Ice Climbers aside, of course, but they aren't coming back because parity. I want new characters, not Wolf and Lucas.
I am/was a Ridley supporter, but after this direct, why even bother showing more support? Ridley playable is not happening.

I can only hope for Dixie now. She is the only character I really want. Though Chorus Kids, Chibi-Robo, Jill (lol she is never happening) and Wonder Red would be neat additions too.
You dont want new characters, or aleast, not alot of new characters, you want the characters sakurai didnt have the time to put in, which should be a select few and not alot otherwise i will just make smash 5 harder for him.

Axass

Nah, that's what omega is now. Variations of one big platform. This would be size and height variations of a varying number of different platforms. Could also introduce moving platforms and different shapes for the main platforms. It would be a lot more worthwhile than what we have now.

That's what I meant, I was saying the omega mode is mostly worthless.

Look at this beauty, almost on par with Ridley:

c5fcnBB.jpg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Because they don't show up in multiplayer matches, just in single player so I'm not counting them

Also all you guys who have issue with Yellow Devil... why don't you just kill him? He really doesn't have that much health and he can usually be killed right after he spawns if not after only 1 shift to the other side of the stage.

Then the one's you listed are all there is.

Yellow Devil is easy to defeat especially with Ganondorf.

backlot

He'll just come back.

Akai

He probably would have ruined Stadium 1 again by making the windmill impossible to go through, anyway. We're not allowed to have more than three good stages per game nowadays, it's walkoffs/bosses/just downright awful designs for everyone!

Sorry I'm really salty.

That's okay, salty tears are my favorite! Mmmmm...

Prism Tower, Halberd and Delphino show that traveling stages don't have to be terrible. Wuhu looks fine as well.

Also if you guys were excited the Pokemon League wouldn't have hazards, Nintendo has a screenshot of Rayquaza in his Brawl boss pose in their press stuff.

So yea... probably a Rayquaza boss on that stage as a port from Brawl...

cdZ3a4k.jpg

The falling swords and flaming platforms had me suspect, but still.

He'll just come back.

Then kill him again, killing him makes him a big smart bomb for you that you can throw your foes into to do damage. Unless you're playing some crazy 4+ minute match or some 5+ stock battle I've only really seen him respawn once during a standard match, and usually it's right at the end when it doesn't matter.

Kinsei

Banned
I hope you can do the co-op events with an A.I partner. None of my friends were good enough to beat the co-op events in Brawl on hard.

Is anyone else worried that 8 player smash will become a series standard? I hope it doesn't, as I don't think Sakurai will bring back the Ice Climbers in Smash 5 if it can't run the game in 60FPS with everyone using Ice Climbers in 8 player smash.

Alright, set my mind to 100% getting this game, now I can get hyped for it. My cousin is up for playing it with me locally so woo :)

Question, is 8 player Smash possible with CPU's? So, for example, me and 7 CPU's.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Wait, PS2 is in?

If so, I really feel like they are outright trolling with the stage selection. It's the only explanation.

Akai

Is anyone else worried that 8 player smash will become a series standard? I hope it doesn't, as I don't think Sakurai will bring back the Ice Climbers in Smash 5 if it can't run the game in 60FPS with everyone using Ice Climbers in 8 player smash.

No? There's no way the visuals will need to be increased so much that Nintendo's next system wouldn't be able to handle an 8-player Ice Climbers battle if they so choose to include them again...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Thanks for the reply.
I'm so stoked we're getting even more stages.
The selection is marvelous right now but more is always welcome.

Same here.

I'm glad that Skyworld is back.

I'm trying to think what stages I would like to see.

Mario Bros
Big Blue
PokeFloat
Brinstar Depth
Dream Land
Princess Peach's Castle
Fountain of Dream
Pirate Ship
Pokemon Stadium 1
Pictochat

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
sorry about double post!

Do you guys have any ideas about this? I don't think it's a new item, neither something Xenoblade related.

It's a part of Xenoblade stage, I Believe. I looked at item list. I don't see any new item that would matched with that spring.

People had same problems with Palutenas's Temple spring.

SapphireZora

Neo Member
My friends, I have some devastating news. The void is back.

HWTgj2n.png

This annoys me too, and not for pervy reasons. I just think it looks tacky. Rosalina's galaxy under her dress is silly, but at least it's creative. The black void is just strange. I assume it's because they don't want pictures of Peach's panties plastered all over Miiverse, but still seems odd, considering Palutena and some trophies aren't censored like that. I always thought her bloomers were fairly tasteful and funny (like Shulk's swimsuit). It's not like she was wearing a thong like in that SSX game. Oh well.

NeonZ

The only chance for Metroid being properly repped is Sakurai stepping down or a good Metroid game becoming popular in Japan. And, well, neither of those seem likely for quite a while.

Metroid isn't really a big series though. If anything the oddity here is that Sakurai highlights it rather much for a minor series, but then he has this hesitation to add more characters, which creates these false hopes. I think without Sakurai you'd just see Metroid sidelined and knocked down to Pikmin level at best.

I'm seeing that Rayquaza as just being an environmental hazard that causes wind. Look at the screenshot above it -- Wailord is doing a similar thing with water, more clearly in the background.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Metroid isn't really a big series though. If anything the oddity here is that Sakurai highlights it rather much for a minor series, but then he has this hesitation to add more characters, which creates these false hopes. I think without Sakurai you'd just see Metroid sidelined and knocked down to Pikmin level at best.

I wager Dark Samus would have been playable. Has enough variety for a different kind of ranged attacker.

It would have been nice if they at least attempted to update the old stages instead of lazily porting them over. Hell, even N64 Kongo Jungle looks the same judging by the thumbnail. Take cues from the Mario Kart team, Sakurai.

It would have been nice if they at least attempted to update the old stages instead of lazily porting them over. Hell, even N64 Kongo Jungle looks the same judging by the thumbnail. Take cues from the Mario Kart team, Sakurai.

They've updated all of the old stages so far. Yoshi's Island in particular looks great now. I also wonder why you're still interested in this game enough to continually check updates, because I don't think I've ever seen you say a positive thing about it. I don't get it.

Same here.

I'm glad that Skyworld is back.

I'm trying to think what stages I would like to see.

Mario Bros
Big Blue
PokeFloat
Brinstar Depth
Dream Land
Princess Peach's Castle
Fountain of Dream
Pirate Ship
Pokemon Stadium 1
Pictochat

I'd love to see saffron city fountain of dreams and peach castle

Forkball

Why are people hating on traveling stages?

Too busy playing Final Destination for the billionth time.

God For Glory is SO BORING because it's stuck on that map. I can only play FD so many times before my brain starts to melt. I like traveling stages, but I'm not a big fan of sidescrolling ones (though 3D Land has good variety). The whole traveling aspect is just window dressing anyways. The background could be stationary and transform and it would still be the same.

NeonZ

I wager Dark Samus would have been playable. Has enough variety for a different kind of ranged attacker.

Yeah, but is Metroid a big series to push playable representation before other series? I think the series that would likely get more representatives with someone aside from Sakurai in the command chair would be the ones that actually sell a lot and are important for Nintendo but don't seem to get many newcomers in Smash, like Donkey Kong (before Tropical Freeze's failure at least), Animal Crossing and even Zelda.

They updated textures this time, although it seems to be rather inconsistent. And, really, Mario Kart's team attention to detail in the newest game seemed to come alongside the sacrifice of everything else. No Battle mode arenas, no extra mode like in the DS and Wii games...

I've said it countless times, but here we go again: Stages continue to be the weakest aspect of all smash games.
It just surprises me that it's been getting worse. Brawl already had plenty of meh stages, and this is just going even more in that direction.
Why are people hating on traveling stages?
I'm fine with most of them, but there's simply too many at this point. Why bring back Delfino when Wu Hu and Skyloft do the exact same thing?

Dr. Buni

Last night people were pointing out that pirate ship might be unlikely since the swimming mechanic was cut... but that seems to only be on 3DS, thanks to a picture released today.

Villager looks like he's swimming, not falling.

That, and delphino island is back. I'd say pirate ship has a high chance of coming back.
Nice, but even without swimming mechanics, I could see Pirate Ship coming back. After all, we got Tortirmer Island and the Paper Mario stages, both with water sections, in the 3DS version.
DLC still means there is a chance for Ridley to be playable. Going through the effort of making him as close to a playable character without actually making him playable would be a low blow.
There is a chance, of course. I am just tired of hoping/supporting a character who most likely will never be playable.

(Sorry for the late reply)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom