• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

emb

No, no one liked 75m. I couldn't tell you what Sakurai - or whoever the stage designer for Smash 4 is - was thinking with these games. The 3DS version has more than a few awful stages, and now the Wii U version is looking to be similarly as bad.

Look forward to the return of Fan Favorite stages like Hanenbow, Rumble Falls, and New Pork City.

The only chance for Metroid being properly repped is Sakurai stepping down or a good Metroid game becoming popular in Japan. And, well, neither of those seem likely for quite a while.

I look forward to Metroid finally getting the recognition is deserves in, say, Smash 7.
Sakurai, as always, trying to cater to the unheard voices that don't post on the Internet. You sure know what the quiet ones want, Sakurai.

But some people do like 75m. I don't, and I don't entirely agree with those people. But I know it has its fans. In fact I'm pretty sure every stage has people that like it. I've heard people say that they've heard of people who liked Icicle Mountain. Hard to imagine that kind of depravity, but I'm sure it's out there.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Prism Tower isn't quite the same as the other travelling stages since you mostly stay on the main platform the whole time. It just grows and shrinks while other platforms pop up. The other stages actually take you to locations while the transportation platform disappears.

I don't mind them. In some ways I wish Rainbow Road still travelled around in Omega mode rather than staying in one place.

Axass

At least they're not walkoffs. Well, not all the time, anyway.

I've got no problem with walkoffs. I hate traveling stages because most of the times almost each "part" of them would've been ok as a standalone stage, yet you can't stay on them for more than a bunch of seconds.

And the best bit is that the one stage that DOES work better as a traveling stage (Gaur Plains) isn't.

Thank god, that seems to be one of the best stages, if that were a traveling stage too... ugh.

The only returning stage I'm not a fan of is Kongo Jungle 64

like why

That's the returning stage I'm more hyped about. We need more 64 stuff.

darkmagus

B0sOS9zCIAAc_-v.jpg

So great to see the original 8 in one screen, I still can't belive that we got 8 player smash

Axass

They're better then the stages with bosses on them.

I disagree, I prefer the stationary stages (no traveling, no scrolling), no matter what weird shit happens in them*.

*The exception are Hanenbow, 75m and New Pork City. Those are just awful, I'd take any moving stage over those.

Why aren't Mario, Kirby and Yoshi doing their 64 taunts in that shot? Everyone (but Fox) is.

Obviously Fox can't, but they went through the trouble to make Samus look like her 64 taunt, despite not having it, and could have figured out how to make Fox cross his arms or something.

At least Kirby is in a 64 pose, but still...

I disagree, I prefer the stationary stages (no traveling, no scrolling), no matter what weird shit happens in them*.

The exception are Hanenbow, 75m and New Pork City. Those are just awful, I'd take any moving stage over those.
Why don't you like the traveling stages? Most of the time I've found that they play exactly the same as a stationary stages, except when you need to jump on a platform as it's rising off the ground.

Sakurai, as always, trying to cater to the unheard voices that don't post on the Internet. You sure know what the quiet ones want, Sakurai.

But some people do like 75m. I don't, and I don't entirely agree with those people. But I know it has its fans. In fact I'm pretty sure every stage has people that like it. I've heard people say that they've heard of people who liked Icicle Mountain. Hard to imagine that kind of depravity, but I'm sure it's out there.
Funny you should mention liking Icicle Mountain, as I still firmly believe it is a decent stage and does a good job of being a climbing stage without being so obtrusive as to ruining battles on it. It's certainly better than the mess that was Rumble Falls.

I've got no problem with walkoffs. I hate traveling stages because most of the times almost each "part" of them would've been ok as a standalone stage, yet you can't stay on them for more than a bunch of seconds.
I see what you mean, but I absolutely loathe walkoffs. They eliminate a huge part of the game - recovering - with their very existence, and make so many deaths feel cheap and unfair, both to the person who dies and to the person who pulls off the KO. It's especially frustrating because walkoff stages could often be easily fixed just by, well, cutting off the walkoffs and making them edges!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I get that. Wtf, as in, why would they use a different model for the icon?

Dunno. I don't think it is a placeholder though since the game releases mid November.

Then again they went out of their way to put chest scar Dorf. Which makes him look worse honestly.

I think the Icon and the fact Ridley mainly seems to work as a CPU controlled fighter has it's implications.

emb

I actually really like the traveling stage gimmick. Gives a chance to see some more of the game's scenery without taking up multiple spots on the stage select, and also providing a reasonable way to avoid walk offs. I wish there were more traveling stages, though I prefer them not to stop/change anywhere.
I hate traveling stages because most of the times almost each "part" of them would've been ok as a standalone stage, yet you can't stay on them for more than a bunch of seconds.
That's a good point though. Often times in transforming stages, one particular mode will be a lot better than most of the rest. Makes you wish it could always stay a certain way.

Prism Tower, Halberd and Delphino show that traveling stages don't have to be terrible. Wuhu looks fine as well.

Also if you guys were excited the Pokemon League wouldn't have hazards, Nintendo has a screenshot of Rayquaza in his Brawl boss pose in their press stuff.

So yea... probably a Rayquaza boss on that stage as a port from Brawl...

Axass

Why don't you like the traveling stages? Most of the time I've found that they play exactly the same as a stationary stages, except when you need to jump on a platform as it's rising off the ground.

Me said:
I hate traveling stages because most of the times almost each "part" of them would've been ok as a standalone stage, yet you can't stay on them for more than a bunch of seconds.

I want to be able to choose where to play and I want to focus on the fighting, not about having to constantly run around to not die. I can't quite explain it well, they just give me this feeling of being in a rush, while I loved having 15 minutes matches and 30 stock battles on Hyrule Castle back in the day.

Forkball

I hope they really change Mewtwo up. Lucario was basically Mewtwo redux. He had some fairly boring specials in Melee, so I would like to see something flashier. Here are some possible moves:

Psystrike: Mewtwo's signature move since Gen V as no other Pokemon can learn it. Here's a video of it. Basically he summons shards, which then descend upon the opponent. Maybe it could work like Din's Fire where you have to control the location of the attack. If he has Disable, this move could tie in with that as Disable stuns, thus making Psystrike easier to land.

Swift: An unexpected move, but he's had it since Gen I. It could maybe be like Staryu's swift, where it is a repeating rapid attack. LET THIS GIF CONVINCE YOU.
tumblr_mu2c4lISb61qcw656o7_500.gif

Psycho Cut: Another possible offensive move for Mewtwo. It basically just a psychic slice. Kind of a straight forward attacking move.

Barrier: Another move he's kept since Gen I. Sakurai loves his non-offensive moves. Maybe it could create a temporary wall, like Palutena's barrier except it doesn't move and you can break through it.

These are just a few moves he learns naturally, not even including the huge array of TMs he can learn. Fire Blast, Thunder, Blizzard, and Earthquake as moves for Mewtwo is tempting...

J@hranimo

Banned
The leaker I know WhatsApped me this morning.

"The Ridley boss showed in last night's Direct was pretty much the model I saw. Same goes for the Mewtwo reveal. Anyway, sorry, I assumed Ridley would be playable because of the quality of the model. Dixie and Chorus Men could be anything, I guess."

Well, there ya go.

But, anyway, Mewtwo, woohoo!

Ah, finally saw this. Thanks for clearing up.

Super happy we still got Mewtwo! Ridley I don't care for, but I guess the only thing I can think of your source seeing Ridley "moving" on the 3DS version is that they tried to add him in that version as a boss hazard as well. It would make sense since dataminers found data of both him and Metalface in that version.

Since I think we're getting a rhythm Heaven stage I can see either:

A) Chorus Men being some sort of model on the stage

B) DLC down the line.

I don't know what to think about Dixie Kong.

I want to be able to choose where to play and I want to focus on the fighting, not about having to constantly run around to not die. I can't quite explain it well, they just give me this feeling of being in a rush, while I loved having 15 minutes matches and 30 stock battles on Hyrule Castle back in the day.
I guess that's fair, but why do you have a problem with those but don't mind the boss stages, which present the same problem? Anytime Yellow Devil appears on the stage it becomes less about fighting and more about dodging a obstacle flying around the stage.

It sounds like your reason for hating traveling stages is the same reason I hate boss stages.

emb

Funny you should mention liking Icicle Mountain, as I still firmly believe it is a decent stage and does a good job of being a climbing stage without being so obtrusive as to ruining battles on it. It's certainly better than the mess that was Rumble Falls.
I think I'm just salty about IM because I've played it's game more. You're right, RF is worse.

Is it about the psychological effect of a traveling stage, or is it about the obnoxious transformations? I'm with you on the latter, but the former never bothered me. Do you think of Smashville and Lylat Cruise as traveling stages even if they don't change much?

georly

I'm so glad the new stage builder will allow us to recreate most of our favorite old stages, at least in structure.

I'll definitely recreate all old 64/melee/brawl stages that can be recreated. Will be really neat to remake Hyrule castle's design.

Might as well be 'pokemon stadium 3: with a vengeance'

It's just pokemon stadium with a new skin and more hazards.

Axass

I guess that's fair, but why do you have a problem with those but don't mind the boss stages, which present the same problem? Anytime Yellow Devil appears on the stage it becomes less about fighting and more about dodging a obstacle flying around the stage.

It sounds like your reason for hating traveling stages is the same reason I hate boss stages.

I usually play with items on, so I just see them as pretty big items/hazards.
weird

I'm not too hot about bosses though. Could've done with a switch.

are you fucking serious

damn it

The album:

http://imgur.com/a/mBuyR

Dimentios

There must be a possibility to deactivate boss appearances. For Sakurai it's probably just unticking a box. But I guess that's Omega mode is for.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh yeah, we still don't know other possible boss stages right?

I'd take Ivysaur over any of the veterans you mention there...

I'd want her too but too much Gen 1. Personally I'd prefer Ivysaur or Squirtle over Mewtwo.

Axass

Is it about the psychological effect of a traveling stage, or is it about the obnoxious transformations? I'm with you on the latter, but the former never bothered me. Do you think of Smashville and Lylat Cruise as traveling stages even if they don't change much?

It's about the transformations. I don't mind Smashville and Lylat Cruise or the Halberd.

emb

There must be a possibility to deactivate boss appearances. For Sakurai it's probably just unticking a box. But I guess that's Omega mode is for.
I think that's why we have so many annoying stages now. They think there's no need for calm stages with subtle effects on the battle when we have FD mode. I mean, what more could we possibly want? Kappa

ElFly

Omega mode would be ok if some of the stages were transformed into Battlefield and had a little variations, say, in size.

All of them becoming FD of the same size is lame.

I think that's why we have so many annoying stages now. They think there's no need for calm stages with subtle effects on the battle when we have FD mode. I mean, what more could we possibly want? Kappa
As disappointing as it is, it seems like this is their mentality. They should have either made more regular stages without the various obstacles or had Omega mode have an option to keep the platforms on the stage.

Axass

Omega mode would be ok if some of the stages were transformed into Battlefield and had a little variations, say, in size.

All of them becoming FD of the same size is lame.

And mostly worthless. You can have only so many size and height variations of a straight platform.

So that brings us to 5 bosses now?

Yellow Devil
Ridley
Metal Face
Rayquaza
Pikmin enemy (name escapes me)

Any other stage bosses we know about?

Not sure if Nabbit counts or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom