• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

emb

Probably because no one cares about Yoshi's Story in 2014.
I like Yoshi's Story better than Yoshi's Island (
any
). <.<

But I'm not too crazy about any of Yoshi's games so far. I know, I'm a monster.

Yoshi's Story (Melee) is probably my favorite stage in the series so far though. Small enough to keep you and your opponent close almost all the time, allows for early kills, has walls for walljump silliness, and best of all has Randall. Any interaction on Randall seems unexpected and interesting, no matter how many times you see people get spiked only to land on him.

Dr. Buni

Good thing I enjoy playing on Omega stages, so the "intrusive" stages don't bother me at all.
I feel almost exactly the opposite. The trailer was ruined by Bowser Jr being a freaking mute (he didn't even go like "heh heh!" or anything), and the whole set-up was "Bowser Jr. fights people", so it wasn't even creative or clever or anything like that. A dull premise that was handled poorly because of Bowser Jr's awkward silence. I guess you could say it's like Greninja or Mega Man, but Mega Man was the opening trailer so it kinda fit, and Greninja had the cool Pokemon theme. This was just Bowser Jr fighting Mario in a ditch. It's probably my least favorite trailer I'd say, if only because I felt like there was so much potential.

The poster on the other hand, is really cool. My only problem with it is that Ludwig is front and center... for some reason.
Well, Jr. laughed before summoning the Koopalings (quite the eerie laugh, at that). I get what you are saying, but I really enjoyed watching Jr. kicking Mario's butt (back in Sunshine, he did say he wanted to fight Mario again, after all). Also, I LOVE how the trailer is titled "The Future King".

What kind of trailer would you have preferred for Bowser Jr?

And as an extra note, boss stages would be ok if the bosses weren't as obtrusive and powerful. I'm fine with Find Mii in 3DS version (even if the power up/down thing is dumb, it isn't that big)

i'm going to build stages that will make even the most gimmicky stages blush

anyways, maybe a silly question, but what are the odds of some neural custom stages being adopted by the competitive scene, and what's preventing it? too difficult to standardize, i assume? it seems like a nice idea, at least.

I like the new stages, but I do wish more of them had a more focused, simpler design. Dreamland 64 is still my favorite, w/ Fountain of Dreams as a close second. The melee stage roster is full of concise, simple stages like that.

Omega stages really ought to include a few platforms here or there. Not even tournament types prefer a vast flat stage compared to one with a platform or two.

I don't see what that has to do with anything. We got a Wrecking Crew and Pac Man stage.

Eh, I don't think stage builder creations are ever going to be standardized. I think the community would go with 5 legal stages before doing that.
Honestly I don't see why they shouldn't. Creating a tournament legal stage would be easier (not to mention they'd probably be a lot more fair than already legal stuff like 3DS yoshi stage). IN brawl there weren't good sharing options in place, so getting a standard set would be a massive pain, but that shouldn't be an issue here

emb

I feel almost exactly the opposite. The trailer was ruined by Bowser Jr being a freaking mute (he didn't even go like "heh heh!" or anything), and the whole set-up was "Bowser Jr. fights people", so it wasn't even creative or clever or anything like that. A dull premise that was handled poorly because of Bowser Jr's awkward silence. I guess you could say it's like Greninja or Mega Man, but Mega Man was the opening trailer so it kinda fit, and Greninja had the cool Pokemon theme. This was just Bowser Jr fighting Mario in a ditch. It's probably my least favorite trailer I'd say, if only because I felt like there was so much potential.

The poster on the other hand, is really cool. My only problem with it is that Ludwig is front and center... for some reason.
I thought the first half of the trailer was kinda dull after seeing the other trailers with Mario fighting someone there. But all the Koopa kids showing up was gold. I would have flipped out if I had seen that 3 months ago.

I dunno... I think the new stages are all pretty brilliant. I don't mind the occasional stage hazard like Yellow Devil or legendary Pokémon or Flying Men. Dealing with them and using them to your advantage is part of the fun! :D

it's amazing how your opinions on stages almost, if not exactly, match mine lmao

I just roll with hazards and moving stages. *shrugs*

Whatever happened to Magicant as a Wii U stage? Was that ever deconfirmed?

The Flying Man sprite appears in Smash Tour, so it's possible...!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
He also brought the Super Mario World stage which is more iconic than a random Yoshi's Story stage. It certainly has to do with popularity.

I guess that is part of why the stage roster is so bad then. Let's go with crappy stages that are visually iconic over stages that people actually like playing on. Would explain the baffling decision in bringing back a stage like 75m.

I thought the first half of the trailer was kinda dull after seeing the other trailers with Mario fighting someone there. But all the Koopa kids showing up was gold. I would have flipped out if I had seen that 3 months ago.

Good thing I enjoy playing on Omega stages, so the "intrusive" stages don't bother me at all.

Well, Jr. laughed before summoning the Koopalings (quite the eerie laugh, at that). I get what you are saying, but I really enjoyed watching Jr. kicking Mario's butt (back in Sunshine, he did say he wanted to fight Mario again, after all). Also, I LOVE how the trailer is titled "The Future King".

What kind of trailer would you have preferred for Bowser Jr?

I'd agree that the trailer definitely got better once the Koopalings showed up, an the Future King thing is cool, but I guess I just wan't a fan of the whole "Bowser Jr. is a serious villain, watch out!" vibe the whole thing had. I mean, I know he's a bad guy, but he's from Mario haha. I think it would have been cool if we had seen something involving airships or Bowsers castle, and some interactions with Bowser would have been great. Like the idea is pretty solid in general (Bowser Jr fighting everybody, then calling in reinforcements), but the execution (dull environment, basically no character interactions) made it more or less completely fall flat to me.

I guess it doesn't help that we knew he was coming.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I don't hate any particular new stage. I wish there were a few more stationary ones though.

Yeah, I would like to have few stationary stages for tournament legal so we wouldn't have to get stuck with limited amount of stages, however I'm definitely happy with the roster overall because they look so much fun to play with friends.

Yes, I'm still concerned about boss stages for Wii U but I didn't really have problem with Yellow Devil in 3DS so if they are going to keep that way then I should be fine with it.

I always camp at Flying Man Island so I can be first person to get him. :p

And as an extra note, boss stages would be ok if the bosses weren't as obtrusive and powerful. I'm fine with Find Mii in 3DS version (even if the power up/down thing is dumb, it isn't that big)

What would be the point of the boss then is the weren't obtrusive and powerful? Might as well not even put it in then.

That's like saying you like smash balls but wish people couldn't get KOs with them.

Hatchtag

Banned
Here's what we're looking at for competitive stages so far:
Competitive: 4 (Based on status in previous games, plus Miiverse being Battlefield)
Battlefield
Final Destination
Miiverse
Lyat Cruise
Smashville
Competitive (but might be too large to be the standard): 2
Big Battlefield
Town and City
Possibly Competitive, Depending on Judgement of Stage Hazards: 7 (*=not competitive in Brawl, but might get bumped up in this game)
Mushroom Kingdom U
Delfino Plaza*
Halberd*
Kalos Pokemon League (dependant on if Rayquaza is a boss or not. He might just fly by at the top of the screen)
Pilotwings
Pokemon Stadium 2*
Mario Circuit 8

So possibly 11 thus far. Not too shabby. I do wish Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium 1 were in though.

Yeah, I would like to have few stationary stages for tournament legal so we wouldn't have to get stuck with limited amount of stages, however I'm definitely happy with the roster overall because they look so much fun to play with friends.

Yes, I'm still concerned about boss stages for Wii U but I didn't really have problem with Yellow Devil in 3DS so if they are going to keep that way then I should be fine with it.

I always camp at Flying Man Island so I can be first person to get him. :p
I mean, I already see there being more tournament legal stages than melee, which has 6, one of which is a counterpick only. Even in neutral stages it should be equivalent

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Competitive: 4 (Based on status in previous games, plus Miiverse being Battlefield)
Battlefield
Final Destination
Miiverse
Lyat Cruise
Smashville
Big Battlefield
Town and City
Possibly Competitive, Depending on Judgement of Stage Hazards: 7 (*=not competitive in Brawl, but might get bumped up in this game)
Mushroom Kingdom U
Delfino Plaza*
Halberd*
Kalos Pokemon League (dependant on if Rayquaza is a boss or not. He might just fly by at the top of the screen)
Pilotwings
Pokemon Stadium 2*
Mario Circuit 8

So possibly 11 thus far. Not too shabby. I do wish Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium 1 were in though.

Stadium 2 is never happening. The transformations are way too intrusive unlike Stadium 1.

Azuran

Banned
I guess that is part of why the stage roster is so bad then. Let's go with crappy stages that are visually iconic over stages that people actually like playing on. Would explain the baffling decision in bringing back a stage like 75m.

But people love playing on Melee's Yoshi's Island. It certainly bring a lot more to the game that boring Yoshi's Story.

I mean, in a way can't you set blast zones anyways using that new deadly material that KOs you if you're at 100% or higher? Sure it's not exactly ideal, but at least it would make sure players would die if they got knocked off screen at a high percentage. Although that would somewhat eliminate deaths at lower % so it's not exactly ideal at all... Hopefully they let you at least choose from a couple of default blast zones, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Hatchtag

Banned
Stadium 2 is never happening. The transformations are way too intrusive unlike Stadium 1.

Some people have suggested it might be reworked. Let's hope it was, because Stadium 2 is fucking terribad. It's just such a strange decision. They know people really like Stadium 1, there's not really any Stadium 2 fans, and they still went with it.

Axass

Sector Z's never coming back but that's okay cause I can just create it in Stage builder.

There has been no Smash without a Corneria/Sector Z stage. Smash Wii U would be the first, the Orbital one is a totally different thing. Seeing as Corneria is on 3DS, having Sector Z as a 8 player stage on Wii U could work.

Dr. Buni

I'd agree that the trailer definitely got better once the Koopalings showed up, an the Future King thing is cool, but I guess I just wan't a fan of the whole "Bowser Jr. is a serious villain, watch out!" vibe the whole thing had. I mean, I know he's a bad guy, but he's from Mario haha. I think it would have been cool if we had seen something involving airships or Bowsers castle, and some interactions with Bowser would have been great. Like the idea is pretty solid in general (Bowser Jr fighting everybody, then calling in reinforcements), but the execution (dull environment, basically no character interactions) made it more or less completely fall flat to me.

I guess it doesn't help that we knew he was coming.
I see. Bowser Jr acting all serious was indeed weird, he never acts that way in Mario games. The thing I disliked was the setting. Once again we got a newcomer trailer in that boring rocky place. Also, Bowser (and Peach maybe) not being in the trailer was stupid, specially considering that Rosaluma was there... for whatever reason. Either way, the trailer was mostly great for me. Perhaps I am being a bit biased since Jr is my favorite newcomer (and I love the Airship theme they played in the trailer).

Battlefield
Final Destination
Miiverse
Lyat Cruise
Smashville
Big Battlefield
Town and City
Mushroom Kingdom U
Delfino Plaza*
Halberd*
Pilotwings
Pokemon Stadium 2*
Mario Circuit 8

What, are we suddenly imitating the Japanese scene in terms of how limited the stages are?

To be less of a boss and more of just a normal hazard
What would be the point of the boss then is the weren't obtrusive and powerful? Might as well not even put it in then.
They completely lose their purpose and removes a new game mechanic. Also just seeing them in the background would disappoint people and then you'd have people going. "I wish Ridley did more than just fire a laser beam everr so often."

I mean if you don't like it go Omega mode then.

Some people have suggested it might be reworked. Let's hope it was, because Stadium 2 is fucking terribad. It's just such a strange decision. They know people really like Stadium 1, there's not really any Stadium 2 fans, and they still went with it.

Lucario needs a home stage brah. I'm sure Mewtwo will come with a Gen I stage for Pikachu, Charizard, and Jigglypuff.

They completely lose their purpose and removes a new game mechanic. Also just seeing them in the background would disappoint people and then you'd have people going. "I wish Ridley did more than just fire a laser beam everr so often."

The point of the boss would be the same point as any other stage hazard. People like older, less obtrusive stage hazards more. I don't remember anyone ever saying "You know, Brinstar Depths is cool, but I really wish Kraid frequently moved to the right side of the screen and fired missiles everywhere" or "Wouldn't it be cool if the Parasite Queen broke out of the force field every once in a while and ran across the screen, sending people flying in its wake?".

I'm a Stadium 2 fan because it has the greatest background detail ever made

180px-Sakurai_cat.png

Azuran

Banned

They went with Stadium 2 because it's obvious the Brawls stages had higher priority. Only reason New Pork City didn't come back was because Lucas got the boot.

Kinsei

Banned

FD can get really boring though. Not everyone that hates how intrusive the new stages are also love FD enough to play on it in almost every match. I'm forced to play for glory on the 3DS version if I want to have any fun, and it looks like I'll have to do it here too. That really sucks as I'm not a huge FD fan.

random25

There's a difference between having a good number of stages with crazy ideas and balancing it with good, neutral stages and slightly-gimmicky stages that are still fun to fight on (see: Melee) and having the vast majority of stages be Wacky Gimmicky Stages that constantly directly interfere with battle.

How many brand new stages are on the Wii U that could reasonably be neutral? Town and City maybe. Miiverse - but that's just a Battlefield reskin. So a grand total of two.
Which is still up from the 3DS version's zero.

To be fair though, they brought back a good number of non-obtrusive, non-transforming stages as well. While not all of them are something that are favorable to use for tournaments or such, they are pretty plenty combined with the new ones when compared to stages where crazy things happen.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I would argue bosses are a terrible mechanic in general. I would be okay with them with a simple toggle to remove them, but they actively ruin the stages they're a part of otherwise by showing up too frequently.

Omega gets dull and still takes away from stages. Wily's Castle with the moving platforms still adds another element to the stage that gets lost completely.

emb

Exactly. The problem is that Omega mode isn't very interesting. It's all the same stage. But it feels like this is exactly why the team took liberties with making crazier stages. Kinda like when Mario games got the super guide, so Nintendo started making them slightly more challenging. It's like if Smash Bros required you to hold down on the Dpad and press Z to jump, and then when someone complains about it, you tell them to go play Street Fighter if they don't like it. Well, obviously not as ridiculous. But having a slightly related alternative doesn't dismiss legitimate complaints.

The effects of something as simple as the height of a single platform is pretty important in a competitive match. Using the stage to your advantage is part of the fun, and Omega mode kinda washes that away.

But we do still have legit options. Battlefield, Smashville, Lylat are there. It's not a terribly big deal, but it's a shame to think about the wasted potential from making Omega mode completely remove platforms that are otherwise fine.

I generally like the Wii U stage lineup. I hope Rayaquaza is just a hazard since it seems like a nice stage without him.
Don't really get why people hate Flying Men so much. They are't really in the way and Magiciant has the whole issue of spikes send you through the stage.
Dark Lord is probably the most ideal boss as he's easy to summon, easier to kill than Yellow Devil and the bonus isn't nearly as bad.

Crocodile

The sense I'm getting is that a lot of people in this thread HATE the majority of stages over the course of Smash history. They aren't all winners to be sure but I'm shocked at how many of them are getting hate or how casually people are stating their preferences as if it was fact. As if it was clear that stage X was objectively bad O_O.

Like I'm not going to tell people how to feel about something so subjective but WOW at all this hate. And its clear many of these comments aren't being made from a competitive standpoint where the requirements would obviously be more stringent.

Should I feel bad that I've enjoyed playing on most of the stages in Smash history?

I agree there should be a boss toggle though. For a game so customizable, more so than any other fighting game, the absence of such a feature is weird.

Have they ever acknowledged that they "know"? You say this as if it was an objective fact but is it? (I honestly have no idea so I'm asking)

Greenzxy

Battlefield
Final Destination
Miiverse
Lyat Cruise
Smashville
Big Battlefield
Town and City
Mushroom Kingdom U
Delfino Plaza*
Halberd*
Pilotwings
Pokemon Stadium 2*
Mario Circuit 8

Don't Forget Kongo Jungle from n64.
Also, Plaza and Halberd will definitely become competitive counterpicks in brawl so I see no reason why it wouldn't be in this game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Omega mode doesn't really solve anything. I don't really even understand why they added it, FD already exists. Now we can have... FD with different blastzones and sometimes walls to jump from?

Stage hazard toggle would be infinitely better, but that is against Sakurai's moral code or something. Magicant could have been a great stage. But Flying Man says otherwise.

But people love playing on Melee's Yoshi's Island. It certainly bring a lot more to the game that boring Yoshi's Story.

We'll have to agree to disagree I guess. The only Yoshi stages I ever liked were Brawl Yoshi's Island and Melee Yoshi's Story, with the latter being one of my favorite stages in the entire series. Melee Yoshi's Island is a stage I've never known of anyone caring for, it was played so infrequently among my circle of friends that I'd forget it was even in the game.

Would be nice, but I don't really see how it could be better without making it into an entirely new stage. I'd guess it was probably just easier to do, but Stadium 1 was in Brawl too, and Stadium 2 probably required more effort since it actually has so much more going on.

Finalow

just finished to watch the full direct, looking forward to this game. sucks that I'm getting it 2 weeks later.

anyhow, most of the stuff that mentioned "this can be played with 2 players co-op too!", do we know if it's local co-op only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom