• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatchtag

Banned
Have they ever acknowledged that they "know"? You say this as if it was an objective fact but is it? (I honestly have no idea so I'm asking)

They never have, but I feel like making a sequel to a stage plus bringing the original back in Brawl kind of acknowledged that they know 1 is popular.

The leaker I know WhatsApped me this morning.

"The Ridley boss showed in last night's Direct was pretty much the model I saw. Same goes for the Mewtwo reveal. Anyway, sorry, I assumed Ridley would be playable because of the quality of the model. Dixie and Chorus Men could be anything, I guess."

Well, there ya go.

But, anyway, Mewtwo, woohoo!
If I would take a guess:
Its the ultimate troll and that Big Ridley is playable.

Okay for seriousness:

-Chorus Kids were likely cut for the same reason as IC, they were three part character and weren't one character that looked like three as alot of us expected. (Or a two part character between the Conductor and the Kids)

-Dixie Kong will happen. No reason for her to get cut from DLC.

Thanks for reporting on this Spainkiller.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
just finished to watch the full direct, looking forward to this game. sucks that I'm getting it 2 weeks later.

anyhow, most of the stuff that mentioned "this can be played with 2 players co-op too!", do we know if it's local co-op only?

I think it's safe to assume that they're local unless they otherwise pointed out.

Azure J

I didn't know people had such violent hate for so many of the Smash stages that have existed. I mean sure, there have been a lot of true stinkers for any type of play (New Pork, Rumble Falls, 75m) but Smash 4 has a lot of stages that not only look great but seem fun too. The boss stuff is kinda sad to see in certain instances because there's no toggle to keep them off stage unless you go Final Destination form, but there's a lot of solid stuff this time around.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So, what's the chance of a demo being announced at a later time? I guess at the tentative Second Quarter Financial Results Briefing on October 30 it could be appropriate to announce such, or even a few days before so they can let the analysts and investors know that interest for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is great.

budpikmin

You know if you want a certain stage layout without gimmicks you could always use the stage builder? I know you loose the aesthetic of that stage but it's a good option.

Here's what we're looking at for competitive stages so far:
Competitive: 4 (Based on status in previous games, plus Miiverse being Battlefield)
Battlefield
Final Destination
Miiverse
Lyat Cruise
Smashville
Competitive (but might be too large to be the standard): 2
Big Battlefield
Town and City
Possibly Competitive, Depending on Judgement of Stage Hazards: 7 (*=not competitive in Brawl, but might get bumped up in this game)
Mushroom Kingdom U
Delfino Plaza*
Halberd*
Kalos Pokemon League (dependant on if Rayquaza is a boss or not. He might just fly by at the top of the screen)
Pilotwings
Pokemon Stadium 2*
Mario Circuit 8

So possibly 11 thus far. Not too shabby. I do wish Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64, Pokemon Stadium 1 were in though.

Why would Delfino, Pilot Wings, Halberd, and Wuhu be banned...?

In what standard were the applicable banned in Brawl? I mean, I went to tournaments all the time and they were always counter picks.

The sense I'm getting is that a lot of people in this thread HATE the majority of stages over the course of Smash history. They aren't all winners to be sure but I'm shocked at how many of them are getting hate or how casually people are stating their preferences as if it was fact. As if it was clear that stage X was objectively bad O_O.

Like I'm not going to tell people how to feel about something so subjective but WOW at all this hate. And its clear many of these comments aren't being made from a competitive standpoint where the requirements would obviously be more stringent.

Should I feel bad that I've enjoyed playing on most of the stages in Smash history?

I agree there should be a boss toggle though. For a game so customizable, more so than any other fighting game, the absence of such a feature is weird.
There's nothing at all wrong with liking the stages. Me personally I strongly prefer stages that have active hazards or just more going on (i.e. Temple) over stages that are simply a flat ground with two platforms.

The whole no boss toggle isn't odd to me because there's a limit to how deep any dev is gonna allow one to cutstomize. I mean we still can't customize exactly what pokemon comes out the pokeballs and I've wanted something like that since inception of the series.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You know if you want a certain stage layout without gimmicks you could always use the stage builder? I know you loose the aesthetic of that stage but it's a good option.

I guess we'll have to see it more indepth to see if it's possible to do something like Wily's Castle with the moving platforms that aren't always there.

Still, a hazard toggle is so much easier. And the functionality is clearly there since running through All Stars removes them, even on stages like Warioware.

ec0ec0

About the stage builder...

Watch it as restrictive as Brawl's grid stage builder and not even let you set up your own blast zones.

we need that because...

Stages continue to be the weakest aspect of all smash games.

for me, smash just doesnt "work" in most of the stages of the 3ds version. The "direction" of the stages in smash has changed dramatically since smash 64. But i am aware that it could be argued that smash 64 stages were a lot more "simple" because of hardware limitations. Still, i dont like most stages in 64 too. Melee was the best because it had more stages that "worked" (for me :p) and the ones that did had really interesting differences between them, but that doesnt change the fact that some of those were similar :(

Problem is, now, in smash, the developers are experimenting a lot with the "crazy" stages, those are really varied. But they dont experiment with "normal" stages at all and, lets be clear, "normal" stages dont have to be "boring" stages. "Normal" stages can have strange things going on, but not 3ds levels of "crazy". (f*cking flying man...) The last time that they did was in melee, and even then we didnt have many...

also: its time to watch the direct again :p

Richie

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but damn, you guys have a hawk eye if that's indeed Pokémon Stadium 2, like, how did you find out it was that and not 1 from that tiny screenshot?

Roo

I'm probably easy to please, but I love everything on that list. So much variety and they brought most of my Brawl favorites back.

Seriously. Fuck the haters.
Stage list is solid. Pretty good, actually.

I'll miss Frigate Orpheon but if any of the Metroid stages has Parasite Queen as one of the songs, I'm set.

budpikmin

I guess we'll have to see it more indepth to see if it's possible to do something like Wily's Castle with the moving platforms that aren't always there.

Still, a hazard toggle is so much easier. And the functionality is clearly there since running through All Stars removes them, even on stages like Warioware.

A hazard toggle would be better. Especially given the amount of other options available. It's possible that they could add it via dlc. It could be worth posting it on the smash bros miiverse as nintendo have been known to listen to the feedback there.

You can see in the Stage Builder section that there's a green box you can draw to control where the camera goes (they used it to achieve the effect that the tunnel stage was underground, for instance), so I'd imagine that would also set the blast zones.

ugoo18

- Best MIA retro stages -

Brawl:

Melee:

64:

I just had an idea, wouldn't the original Sector Z be perfect for 8 player smash?

Why exactly hasn't the original Sector Z come back instead being replaced with the poor man's version in Corneria.

I vaguely remember reading of some technical quirk about the original stage that made recreating it a pain or something.

Now for something that isn't
justified
bitching about stages, I seriously can't wait for the Uprising Codec calls. Really hope that we get Dark Pit variations, and even other Uprising characters showing up (Hades and even Medusa would be neat)

tumblr_ndxaknDJ4C1qmw4rqo1_1280.jpg

Kinsei

Banned
justified
bitching about stages, I seriously can't wait for the Uprising Codec calls. Really hope that we get Dark Pit variations, and even other Uprising characters showing up (Hades and even Medusa would be neat)

There's no way Sakurai will miss out on the chance to have Hades mock Ganondorf.

Gleethor

justified

Hades showing up is, I think, almost a certainty.

budpikmin

justified

Ha, that Shulk description is so good! Yeah I'm looking forward to these.

Kyzon

Why exactly hasn't the original Sector Z come back instead being replaced with the poor man's version in Corneria.

I vaguely remember reading of some technical quirk about the original stage that made recreating it a pain or something.

The original stage is MASSIVE! I think that's pretty much why we have a small version in Corneria.

The original stage is MASSIVE! I think that's pretty much why we have a small version in Corneria.

This is always so strange to me. Because even though Sector Z is obviously giant, I never remembered it being huge as a kid. Between 64 and Melee I didn't even notice a change in scale. I thought it was the same stage all the way until Brawl when people pointed out Corneria was even smaller now because fighters were so much bigger.

The "really feeling it" is edited. Pit does make a "buncha jokers" reference though.
He even does it using an accent.

That's what I thought.

ugoo18

Corneria went too far in the opposite direction, it's like the Starfox team ran into financial problems and had to pawn off 3/4 of the Great Fox to make ends meet.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It seems like the Wii U Version wants to give every series that's playable a retro stage if possible, and Animal Crossing has one to use so why not?

japan seems to be really fixated on this one quote of shulk's (it's the name of his trailer, one of his taunts, and the reference pit makes in his conversation) so it's basically given the localizing team free reign to include our dumb xenoblade in-jokes ("now it's shulk time!" is used in its place in the trailer and taunt, which is why it doesn't really match the taunt animation)

and that's rad because our dumb xenoblade in-jokes are rad

Watch Da Birdie

The Direct doesn't show Smashville or Congo Jungle, but they're on the My Music page, so those are unlockable too it seems.

Watch Da Birdie

With Mewtwo coming back I wonder if this song will make an appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aWyb1S0f7I

It's seriously a crime that this hasn't been remixed or placed in a Pokémon game since.

So far Pokemon Music in Smash has completely ignored anything outside of the main handheld games...

Which is a shame. Some of the spin-offs have awesome music I'd love to hear, especially the battle themes from Pokemon Colosseum.

japan seems to be really fixated on this one quote of shulk's (it's the name of his trailer, one of his taunts, and the reference pit makes in his conversation) so it's basically given the localizing team free reign to include our dumb xenoblade in-jokes ("now it's shulk time!" is used in its place in the trailer and taunt, which is why it doesn't really match the taunt animation)

and that's rad because our dumb xenoblade in-jokes are rad

Which Shulk quote do they like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom