• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
They had the Ice Climbers working for the Wii U version.
Not to mention they got far enough for their chant to accidentally play sometimes in the 3DS version, which to me seems to indicate they were cut fairly late if something that major wasn't noticed before release. If they're not DLC for 4, there'll probably still have a lot of newer unused assets to work with for a 5th game.

But Roy's two distinctive features, Marth clone and fire moves are taken up by two other characters, Lucina and Ike. Also didn't someone say in Japan he's one of the least popular lords in the series, with his Western popularity literally being he was in a crossover fighting game. His current chances are extremely low and I doubt they are set to rise in the future. It's best to accept the loss and move on.

I'll be honest, I kind of forgot about Pichu since I never see request for its return. I wouldn't mind it since at least it wouldn't be another gen one Pokémon.

I had a friend who predicted that Chrom and Roy would be the Fire Emblem reps this time around (before Marth was confirmed), this was his reasoning:
"Pretty much everyone loved Roy...so to bring back some nostalgia I think hes worth returning..."
For the record, he uses ellipses like commas, so I didn't cut anything out.

He's said/done some dumb things in the past. This is among those dumb things.

Not to mention they got far enough for their chant to accidentally play sometimes in the 3DS version, which to me seems to indicate they were cut fairly late if something that major wasn't noticed before release. If they're not DLC for 4, there'll probably still have a lot of newer unused assets to work with for a 5th game.

nah, it just means Villager is actually Popo in disguise (the female alts are Nana) ( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

BY2K

Membero Americo

Wait, what? The Ice Climbers chant is in the game and actually plays by accident?

Golnei

Wait, what? The Ice Climbers chant is in the game and actually plays by accident?

Apparently, the Nana / Popo chant can trigger during Villager vs. Dr. Mario matches.

I had a friend who predicted that Chrom and Roy would be the Fire Emblem reps this time around (before Marth was confirmed), this was his reasoning:
"Pretty much everyone loved Roy...so to bring back some nostalgia I think hes worth returning..."
For the record, he uses ellipses like commas, so I didn't cut anything out.

He's said/done some dumb things in the past. This is among those dumb things.

Well, he's well liked among those who were only exposed to him in Melee - why else would PM bring him back? Though that doesn't change the fact that he should never return, even as DLC.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
nah, it just means Villager is actually Popo in disguise (the female alts are Nana) ( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

Animal Crossing is a secret Ice Climbers sequel and has become one of Nintendo's most successful series without anyone realising it.

Well, he's well liked among those who were only exposed to him in Melee - why else would PM bring him back? Though that doesn't change the fact that he should never return, even as DLC.
Project M peeps also removed Wario's bike. They are not exactly the definition of smart.

Well, he's well liked among those who were only exposed to him in Melee - why else would PM bring him back? .

the mod is literally called "Project Melee", you can't see any reason outside of his popularity to bring him back?

*not saying he wasn't popular.

Golnei

the mod is literally called "Project Melee", you can't see any reason outside of his popularity to bring him back?

*not saying he wasn't popular.

Seeing as they explicitly said they had no intention of bringing back Pichu, popularity must have a little to do with it.

Looks like Awkward Zombie finally got around to doing a new Smash strip.

RSHqiPk.png

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah, Mewtwo's the only "required" veteran who needs to return from Melee in my mind.

Pichu, Roy, and Young Link are all pretty "eh" to me. Maybe if Toon Link fades (as in he doesn't get any new games) and we get OOT 3D and MM 3D with Young Link, he could come back in Smash 5, but I think Toon Link is pretty popular in his own right now and has Wind Waker (HD), Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Four Swords Adventure under his belt.

Pichu Bros. seems fun, but that's sure to piss off a lot of people who get really anal about anything inspired by the anime getting into Smash. Apparently there's a huge deal with Greninja using an anime voice because it implies it's meant to be Ash's Froakie, or something, and that actually bothers folks. I don't see the big deal, personally, the anime is a big part of the Pokemon franchise and is still going strong in Japan, I don't have an issue with them drawing from it on a basic level.

Yeah, Mewtwo's the only "required" veteran who needs to return from Melee in my mind.

Pichu, Roy, and Young Link are all pretty "eh" to me. Maybe if Toon Link fades (as in he doesn't get any new games) and we get OOT 3D and MM 3D with Young Link, he could come back in Smash 5, but I think Toon Link is pretty popular in his own right now and has Wind Waker (HD), Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Four Swords Adventure under his belt.

Pichu Bros. seems fun, but that's sure to piss off a lot of people who get really anal about anything inspired by the anime getting into Smash. Apparently there's a huge deal with Greninja using an anime voice because it implies it's meant to be Ash's Froakie, or something, and that actually bothers folks. I don't see the big deal, personally, the anime is a big part of the Pokemon franchise and is still going strong in Japan, I don't have an issue with them drawing from it on a basic level.

Also, Pichu coming back but not Mewtwo? There'd be riots.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Pokémon saying their names is inspired by the anime. They lost the 'no anime references' battle long ago.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Apparently the Pokemon Trainer trophy in 3DS mentions Ash, and other Gym Leaders who were his travelling companions in the show as examples of Pokemon Trainers. Apparently the localization references the theme song too. Can't wait for the meltdowns over such a little thing.

Also, Pichu coming back but not Mewtwo? There'd be riots.

This is for Project M, Mewtwo's already back.

darkmagus

why

zlCfzSd8cUU1QBSWyP

Pic of the day. Here are the results for Conquest mode for players in Japan that are playing the Japanese 3DS version. Their next challenge is to battle each other with fighters they've trained up and fighters made of metal!!

lol at this point i think doing funny pics would be better.

-Horizon-

why

zlCfzSd8cUU1QBSWyP

Pic of the day. Here are the results for Conquest mode for players in Japan that are playing the Japanese 3DS version. Their next challenge is to battle each other with fighters they've trained up and fighters made of metal!!

...ok Sakurai, we get it.

ganondorf did some pretty messed up stuff too!!

like he-as-agahnim killed the king of hyrule, made him into a skellybones

and then he murdered the great deku tree

and also sharp and flat (prob. punched them into being ghosts)

and that guard in the back alley

and all of those redeads in castle town (ummmmm that melee trophy is of [snort] DUBIOUS canonicity [adjusts wallscroll])

and he killed fado and laruto in WW

and in TP he punched that water sage ghost into death that has ascended beyond death (or you can call this a super death 2. heh, just wait)

and he helped zant turn the twili into shadow beasts, and those shadow beasts like killed some hyrule guards, and link had to kill them, and i think a bunch of kakariko people also got killed by them (including one lady who turned into one possibly so Link must have killed her too????), and executed that Zora queen

the dorf's a bad fella with a rude tude is what i'm getting at

emb

Hey, at least you can't accuse today's PotD of Sakurai bias.
The silly conquest mode was probably Sakurai's idea. And you know what? He's posting pictures of a Smash Bros. game made by, wouldn't you know it, himself. Posting pictures of his own game. Really abhorrent and shameful.

Platy

ganondorf did some pretty messed up stuff too!!

like he-as-agahnim killed the king of hyrule, made him into a skellybones

and then he murdered the great deku tree

and also sharp and flat (prob. punched them into being ghosts)

and all of those redeads in castle town (ummmmm that melee trophy is of [snort] DUBIOUS canonicity [adjusts wallscroll])

and he killed fado and laruto in WW

and in TP he punched that water sage ghost into death that has ascended beyond death (or you can call this a super death 2. heh, just wait)

and he helped zant turn the twili into shadow beasts, and those shadow beasts like killed some hyrule guards, and link had to kill them, and i think a bunch of kakariko people also got killed by them (including one lady who turned into one possibly so Link must have killed her too????), and executed that Zora queen

the dorf's a bad fella with a rude tude is what i'm getting at

...which is the closest Link has for a dad

Kensho

Guys, remember when Robot Chicken made the jokes about Starfox and Mother 3 at E3?

Nintendo wouldn't make that just because of humor, they know we want it, and even announced a new Starfox game later.

I think it's safe to guess this could mean a localization for Mother 3, maybe in the form of a Virtual Console release on Wii U (which recently started using GBA games) and maybe then too the return of Lucas as a DLC character, but this is just speculation.

What do you think?

SoldnerKei

this, this freaking this... I had beaten like 100 times ocarina before, and I casually went to the back alley and saw that fella for the first time, I swear.... the dude
dying in front of me
not even silent hill gave me that much nightmares as a kid

the placebo effect of the demo is wearing out, I need the complete game! :c

zroid

Banned
Guys, remember when Robot Chicken made the jokes about Starfox and Mother 3 at E3?

Nintendo wouldn't make that just because of humor, they know we want it, and even announced a new Starfox game later.

I think it's safe to guess this could mean a localization for Mother 3, maybe in the form of a Virtual Console release on Wii U (which recently started using GBA games) and maybe then too the return of Lucas as a DLC character, but this is just speculation.

What do you think?

I envy your optimism

edit: remember this?

DL34WQO.png

Dimmle

What do you think?

I don't want to be hurt again.

-Horizon-

What do you think?

What do I think?

I think

Ggtfet0.gif

Toon Link is Young Link. Young Link received all the same changes Falco and Ganondorf received when being brought over to Brawl, just with a name change. Young Link was never cut from Smash Bros. Toon Link even gets Fire Arrows as a custom in the same way Bowser gets Koopa Klaw and Game and Watch gets his Melee recovery, As a throwback to his Melee appearance. As Young Link.

At the end of the day, if Mewtwo is added, only Pichu and Roy will have been cut from Melee.

" - it's hard to bring over data from Melee, due to the game being quite old"

Lol, this is such bullshit. This means shortcutting and reusing old data is hard, as in, not making the characters from scratch. Melee being old has nothing to do with why characters can't return. You make them from scratch, like you're supposed to. And this doesn't explain why Wolf and Lucas are nowhere to be seen. DLC CONFIRMED!

Lol, this is such bullshit. This means shortcutting and reusing old data is hard, as in, not making the characters from scratch. Melee being old has nothing to do with why characters can't return. You make them from scratch, like you're supposed to. And this doesn't explain why Wolf and Lucas are nowhere to be seen. DLC CONFIRMED!

You don't even know if this is about characters, it very well could be (and is likely) about stages.

You don't even know if this is about characters, it very well could be (and is likely) about stages.

NintendoEverything said:
Last but not least, we have a somewhat strange tidbit that comes from the section of Sakurai addressing certain characters not being in the new games. Interestingly, he said that it’s difficult to transplant original data from Super Smash Bros. Melee since the game is so old.

backlot

What do you think?

A Mother 3 localization is never a safe guess.

That doesn't make any sense though. Either he's specifically talking about Mewtwo without actually mentioning Mewtwo, or there's a mistranslation and it's about other things. Mewtwo would be the only character whose data would have to be extracted from Melee, but
1. No it doesn't, just remake him like Bowser or most other characters.
2. Mewtwo was far in development in Brawl, so... his data more or less exists for Brawl.
3. Doc came back, so obviously for clones this doesn't matter as they can re-use their base's data. Mewtwo was the only non-clone cut from Melee (besides Ice Climbers later), meaning this situation is entirely specific to Mewtwo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom