• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

What features would you guys want in a Bowser's Castle stage? Seems especially appropriate now, with Bowser and Bowser Jr. and all of the Koopalings in the game. (Although maybe the castle portion of Mushroom Kingdom U covers this.)

The main feature? A huge bridge you can collapse by touching the axe from SMB1. That seems essential. The axe could spawn at random on either side of the side. I picture this bridge in the middle of the stage, dropping you into a lake of lava that deals huge damage and knockback. And this bridge is flanked by stone parapets on either side, each about the length of Battlefield. A Thwomp on either side would also be a nice touch, since they could serve as a makeshift platform, a moving wall and a stage hazard.

It's tempting to throw in a rotating fire-bar, some podoboos and the fire-breathing Bowser statues, but that might be a bit much. Of course, in terms of music, you could have Koopa Road (Mario & Sonic Remix) and SM64 Koopa's Theme (SM64), as well as A Boss Approaches (SM3DW) and Bowser Battle (SMG). No shortage of music you could include in a Bowser's Castle stage. :)

Zubz

Banned
Let's see... "unlock Ridley"

128841-sorry-Im-allergic-to-bullshit-C2pD.gif

That whole fake leak and Ridley's the bit you go after? Not even how Ridley functions, but the presence of a highly-requested character in a fan service-y game who's on, like, 90% of these fake leaks as opposed to how haphazard a lot of this is (Like tacking on Impa despite there being no room on the CSS)?

What features would you guys want in a Bowser's Castle stage? Seems especially appropriate now, with Bowser and Bowser Jr. and all of the Koopalings in the game. (Although maybe the castle portion of Mushroom Kingdoom U covers this.)

The main feature? A huge bridge you can collapse by touching the axe from SMB1. That seems essential. The axe could spawn at random on either side of the side. I picture this bridge in the middle of the stage, dropping you into a lake of lava that deals huge damage and knockback. And this bridge is flanked by stone parapets on either side, each about the length of Battlefield. A Thwomp on either side would also be a nice touch, since they could serve as a makeshift platform, a moving wall and a stage hazard.

It's tempting to throw in a rotating fire-bar, some podoboos and the fire-breathing Bowser statues, but that might be a bit much. Of course, in terms of music, you could have Koopa Road (Mario & Sonic Remix) and SM64 Koopa's Theme (SM64), as well as A Boss Approaches (SM3DW) and Bowser Battle (SMG). No shortage of music you could include in a Bowser's Castle stage. :)

I'd see Kingdom U as indicative of the kids' fortresses, not Bowser's Castle; the fortresses are all dull, whereas the Castle is grandiose.

The bridge sounds annoying, but it totally seems like something they would do. A Thwomp, on the other hand, sounds like a great combination platform-stage hazard. I'm also expecting a lot of fire and lava, too, but again, a firebar seems like the kind of thing I'd hate, but they'd add. I'm also hoping to see Bowser Statues. Honestly, my guess is that it might actually be a moving stage, using block snakes and the like for transitions.

Pyrokai

Omg. Please don't let the Pichu Bros. thing be true. We'll find out tomorrow, right? With the Sonic alts thing?

Why does he say 3.5?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Mother fans have it pretty good. They've got three games that most people would argue are near-perfect (not me though haha), and there's likely no chance they'll be spoiled with any bad games that reduce the franchise to a laughing stock.

Mother 4 does bug me too, because I don't think Mother's really a franchise that lends itself to fan-games. Like Fire Emblem, Zelda, and Pokemon, there's so much potential there for fanworks and such since those series have certain rules in play, but Mother is so loosely defined I can only imagine Itoi doing it.

They really should've just gave it a different name, changed the art-style a bit, and just made it a spiritual sequel. But then again, I sort of doubt it'll ever be finished.

Neiteio

I'd see Kingdom U as indicative of the kids' fortresses, not Bowser's Castle; the fortresses are all dull, whereas the Castle is grandiose.

The bridge sounds annoying, but it totally seems like something they would do. A Thwomp, on the other hand, sounds like a great combination platform-stage hazard. I'm also expecting a lot of fire and lava, too, but again, a firebar seems like the kind of thing I'd hate, but they'd add. I'm also hoping to see Bowser Statues. Honestly, my guess is that it might actually be a moving stage, using block snakes and the like for transitions.
They could space the bridge so that if you fall, you could jump your way to safety from all but the very middle of the bridge. It'd keep players on their toes. And the lava would punish players but not necessarily destroy them, so it's not like an instant KO. I think it could work and be fun. Also, the Final Destination form of Bowser's Castle could just be the bridge, without the axe to collapse it. :)

I also like the idea of Nimbasa City (Pokémon Black 2/White 2). We know the WiiU has Kalos Pokémon League as a Gen 6 answer to the 3DS' Unova Pokémon League (N's Castle) from Gen 5. So this would be a Gen 5 city answer to Gen 6's Lumiose City.

Now I know the real equivalent to Lumiose City would be Castelia City, but I think Nimbasa City is more interesting. It's the Las Vegas of the Pokémon world. I mean, just look at it:

Nimbasa_City_anime.png

I think it'd be great if they had Kyurem-W and Kyruem-B show up to freeze over half of the stage, even if that's not 100% true to B2/W2. Most of the time, however, you'd be fighting atop the neon signage and Ferris wheel to great music like THIS, and you could still have this, too. You could also have the best gym leader appear in the background:

tumblr_m43bulHd371r1n5pqo1_500.gif

tumblr_m43aj21UAV1qfwzeuo1_500.gif

Anth0ny

Guys, remember when Robot Chicken made the jokes about Starfox and Mother 3 at E3?

Nintendo wouldn't make that just because of humor, they know we want it, and even announced a new Starfox game later.

I think it's safe to guess this could mean a localization for Mother 3, maybe in the form of a Virtual Console release on Wii U (which recently started using GBA games) and maybe then too the return of Lucas as a DLC character, but this is just speculation.

What do you think?

I was thinking about Mother 3 the other day. I feel like, at this point, it's not going to be a simple Virtual Console release.

I'm guessing it'll be upgraded for 3DS or Wii U eshop (price will be upgraded too!), or in a dream scenario, they flat out release the Mother trilogy in English for $40 with a limited edition physical release at $60.

Dimmle

Mother fans have it pretty good. They've got three games that most people would argue are near-perfect (not me though haha), and there's likely no chance they'll be spoiled with any bad games that reduce the franchise to a laughing stock.

Mother 4 does bug me too, because I don't think Mother's really a franchise that lends itself to fan-games. Like Fire Emblem, Zelda, and Pokemon, there's so much potential there for fanworks and such since those series have certain rules in play, but Mother is so loosely defined I can only imagine Itoi doing it.

They really should've just gave it a different name, changed the art-style a bit, and just made it a spiritual sequel. But then again, I sort of doubt it'll ever be finished.

The whole "straight up using altered Mother 3 assets" thing is pretty weird, too.

Watch Da Birdie

I wonder if the Mother 3 fan-translation actually interfered with the official release of Mother 3?

Like, as far as I know I don't believe Nintendo can actually use Tomato's translation. Probably lots of little lawsuit issues involved, not to mention it'd be unfair for them to ignore the translation team at Treehouse who translate as a paid career to use a fan's translation instead. I know he said he'd let them use it for free, but I don't think a business can just do that.

Berordn

I wonder if the Mother 3 fan-translation actually interfered with the official release of Mother 3?

Like, as far as I know I don't believe Nintendo can actually use Tomato's translation. Probably lots of little lawsuit issues involved, not to mention it'd be unfair for them to ignore the translation team at Treehouse who translate as a paid career to use a fan's translation instead. I know he said he'd let them use it for free, but I don't think a business can just do that.

If they wanted to reach out to him and negotiate terms to at least use his translation as a starting point, there's nothing stopping them from doing so. They can't use his translation with out his permission since that's actually his IP, but he's clearly open to discussion and if they wanted to save some time the option is there. Treehouse probably has a lot more pressing concerns, like other games that are actually relevant.

Neiteio

It wouldn't be unfair to Treehouse since Treehouse always has plenty of work to do and a fan translation would simply free them up for other localization work.

That being said, I imagine it's very complicated from a legal standpoint, as you indicated.

Anth0ny

There's no way Nintendo would actually use a fan's translation for one of their games.

If they don't want Treehouse on the localization, I can see them bringing 8-4 on board. But they aren't going to use a fan translation.

Zubz

Banned
They could space the bridge so that if you fall, you could jump your way to safety from all but the very middle of the bridge. It'd keep players on their toes. And the lava would punish players but not necessarily destroy them, so it's not like an instant KO. I think it could work and be fun. Also, the Final Destination form of Bowser's Castle could just be the bridge, without the axe to collapse it. :)

I also like the idea of Nimbasa City (Pokémon Black 2/White 2). We know the WiiU has Kalos Pokémon League as a Gen 6 answer to the 3DS' Unova Pokémon League (N's Castle) from Gen 5. So this would be a Gen 5 city answer to Gen 6's Lumiose City.

Now I know the real equivalent to Lumiose City would be Castelia City, but I think Nimbasa City is more interesting. It's the Las Vegas of the Pokémon world. I mean, just look at it:

Nimbasa_City_anime.png

I think it'd be great if they had Kyurem-W and Kyruem-B show up to freeze over half of the stage, even if that's not 100% true to B2/W2. Most of the time, however, you'd be fighting atop the neon signage and Ferris wheel to great music like THIS, and you could still have this, too. You could also have the best gym leader appear in the background

True, but I can still see bridge destruction being annoying, what with how big it is.

And I like Nimbasa as an idea, too. My most wanted Pokemon stage for the Wii U version was Poketopia, but now that we already have a Pokemon Stadium-styled stage, Nimbasa perfectly covers the elaborate, neon-lit city environment while also representing 5th Gen and without making another stadium.

I still don't believe that rumor, but between this and the Endless Ocean stage, I want to.

Don't forget Elesa's B2W2 Gym Theme

It'd fit since it continues the theme of Sakurai ripping off TWEWY (one of the soundbites in the song is in TWEWY as well)

Wow, really? Never noticed the shared sound bites.

georly

There's no way Nintendo would actually use a fan's translation for one of their games.

If they don't want Treehouse on the localization, I can see them bringing 8-4 on board. But they aren't going to use a fan translation.

Yup, too many legal issues could crop up as a result. It also sets a precedent.

Dimmle

It wouldn't be unfair to Treehouse since Treehouse always has plenty of work to do and a fan translation would simply free them up for other localization work.

That being said, I imagine it's very complicated from a legal standpoint, as you indicated.

If they wanted to reach out to him and negotiate terms to at least use his translation as a starting point, there's nothing stopping them from doing so. They can't use his translation with out his permission since that's actually his IP, but he's clearly open to discussion and if they wanted to save some time the option is there. Treehouse probably has a lot more pressing concerns, like other games that are actually relevant.

Yeeep, there's no way in hell that Nintendo would use Tomato's translation, even despite its quality and his willingness.

I'd be interested in knowing how far Mother 3 got in the localization process; did it only get as far as internal discussion or did work begin before it was deemed not worth the investment? The chances of Nintendo pouring localization money into an eShop port of Mother 3 in 20XX are dubious. Earthbound took little effort to resurrect.

So I guess what I'm saying is everyone should play that game if they haven't already because an official US version is NEVER GONNA HAPPEN.

georly

So I guess what I'm saying is everyone should play that game if they haven't already because an official US version is NEVER GONNA HAPPEN.

Well, hopefully new3DS can handle GBA games, and now that Wii U can... I'm giving them one more year. If it's not localized... well.... I'll just have to do something about never having played it.

I have 40 dollars, right here, that would all go toward mother 3. It's going to go to something else if nintendo doesn't localize it soon enough.

It would be pretty hilarious if people just started fan translating every old, obscure, Japan only Nintendo game and submitted them to Nintendo for release

That's definitely what they're afraid of.

Watch Da Birdie

Wow, really? Never noticed the shared sound bites.

Yeah, the last part of the Elesa song has the "bah bah...bah bah bah!" women that's in TWEWY. Pretty sure I remember it was found out it's stock sound that was in a nail commercial too.

Dimmle

Well, hopefully new3DS can handle GBA games, and now that Wii U can... I'm giving them one more year. If it's not localized... well.... I'll just have to do something about never having played it.

I have 40 dollars, right here, that would all go toward mother 3. It's going to go to something else if nintendo doesn't localize it soon enough.

Good call. Let them feel the pain of receiving 40 dollars for Smash 3DS rather than for Mother 3. :p

Having played the game, I'm not really interested in a localized version for myself, but it kills me that there's a huge western audience that enjoys the "silly RPG" (or whatever you call that distinctive flavor) and you have an absolute paragon of the subgenre that has missed its chance to resonate and spur discussion.

EDIT: As it is, it's super difficult to convince someone to play Mother 3 with all of the hurdles involved.

backlot

Have you looked at a calendar lately? It's been eight years.

Veeboy

Its funny how for Zelda characters if they gave us the Hyrule warriors look I would be all for it. Impa being a good example.
Yeah, I'm kinda disappointed we are getting the TP Zlda characters again. I was hoping we'd get the SS designs for Link and Zelda and hopefully get some SS style redesigns for Ganondorf and Shiek.

Now I'm looking at the Hyrule Warriors outfits and just salivating at how good th entire cast looks. Its too bad that's only a spinoff cause I would love a traditional Zelda with those designs.

Not 100% feeling HW Zelda though. I'm not sure what it is about her that makes me like her design less than the rest of the cast.

Golnei

Not 100% feeling HW Zelda though. I'm not sure what it is about her that makes me like her design less than the rest of the cast.

Zelda is definitely one of the weaker designs. Whoever described her as looking like a generic Korean MMO ad was very accurate.

TP Zelda has a jerk face

SS Zelda is someone I would hang out with

The stoic, queenly air of the TP design is what elevates it above the others. SS, ST and OoT Zelda are likeable, memorable characters, but the TP version of Zelda is much more visually distinct, especially within the context of Smash - even if she wasn't characterised as strongly by her original game. Whenever the Zelda characters are updated again, I hope that Zelda at least retains her TP design as a costume.

Dimmle

Zelda is definitely one of the weaker designs. Whoever described her as looking like a generic Korean MMO ad was very accurate.

The stoicism makes her memorable. SS and OoT Zelda are likeable, memorable characters, but the TP version of Zelda is much more visually distinct, especially within the context of Smash - even if she wasn't characterised as strongly by her original game. Whenever the Zelda characters are updated again, I hope they retain her TP design as a costume.

I can see why her stoicism is justified in TP, but I'd dig a livelier characterization in Smash. It'd be interesting to see a cheeky, spirited Zelda instead of the grey part of a Zoloft commercial. She could still retain her elegance and all that.

also why no Tetra, Sakurai

Veeboy

The stoic, queenly air of the TP design is what elevates it above the others. SS and OoT Zelda are likeable, memorable characters, but the TP version of Zelda is much more visually distinct, especially within the context of Smash - even if she wasn't characterised as strongly by her original game. Whenever the Zelda characters are updated again, I hope they retain her TP design as a costume.
Oh my god that's it! I couldn't place it but that's why.

Also I totally agree on the TP Zelda. She always appears more regal to me, and I liked that. I liked that she seemed powerful but benevolent. Even if the Zelda designs had been updated with TP alts I probably would've shifted back to TP Zelda at some point.

I envy your optimism

edit: remember this?

DL34WQO.png
Something HAS to be in the works, right...?
The recent Virtual Console release of Super NES game EarthBound is, according to Nintendo, off to a great start. In an announcement from Nintendo of America today, the company said the Wii U game was the third bestselling eShop game on Wii U, with only New Super Luigi U and Pikmin 3 besting the SNES re-release in terms of consumer spend.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/15/46...d-bestselling-wii-u-eshop-game-in-the-us-last

EarthBound, the long-awaited SNES classic for the Wii U Virtual Console has claimed the number one spot in the Virtual Console charts in various regions including the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, The Netherlands and Portugal. EarthBound is also selling well in the United States where it’s currently sitting behind Donkey Kong which costs 30 cents compared to EarthBound’s $10 price tag.
http://mynintendonews.com/2013/07/2...-console-charts-in-europe-selling-well-in-us/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom