• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeEarth

She has a special attack that crosses up by itself, I hate that stuff, not fair

Focus is your best friend. No need to block correctly. Or use a crouching move that lowers your hitbox under the burn kick. No need to block at all! I sucked against Vipers until I learned this shit.

Still suck against Juri and Cammy though.

Any basic Yang tips? I've been trying to learn the game and his play style appeals to me for some reason. All the guides I've seen aren't for the newest version.

I've basically just been hitting cr.MK into slashes. Do people use his command throw? It seems so slow.

Is the first mantis slash safe on block? Why does my ultra 2 get beat out by various air normals?

Should I be saving my meter for super?

Any basic Yang tips? I've been trying to learn the game and his play style appeals to me for some reason. All the guides I've seen aren't for the newest version.

I've basically just been hitting cr.MK into slashes. Do people use his command throw? It seems so slow.

Is the first mantis slash safe on block? Why does my ultra 2 get beat out by various air normals?

only been playing about a week or two, so i'm new myself but i used to play yang in 3s.

command throw is good for people who block. low level online is full of button mashers, so i like to fish for counterhit or regular throw most of the time. but if someone respects too much, i definitely use the command throw, especially with super activated.

mantis slash is also good raw as well if you've got good spacing and reactions to confirm. i'm p. sure lp is always safe, but hp might be unsafe if done too close, but i'm not 100% sure.

i dunno what's up with ultra 2. so far, i find the earlier the better.

meter, i like super, but i wouldn't say it should be the goal. fadc mantis slash or dp both lead into ultra or reset situation. ex command grab can finish off the round more reliably than regular command grab. ex dash can get you out relatively safe on wakeup. ex palm is invincible to lows and leads to ultra2.

you didn't mention anything about palm, but i love palm. unless they're near the corner, i always prefer c.mk x palm over mantis slash. it's + on hit, and does more chip on block. everyone just quick rises mantis slash. i hope poison's rekkas will remain hard knockdown in usf4.

Trickster

Does anyone know how to check if you have that 2012 patch thing for arcade edition of the game? Just wondering if mine is actually up to date as I noticed in the title menu of the game it says "Capcom U.S.A inc. 2010 all rights reserved" And it got me wondering if my version isn't up to date with that 2012 patch

Horseress

My best advice is: play someone else 'till Ultra comes out xD
Even Combofiend said they overnerfred Yang in AEv2012. As it is now, he's too much execution for too little damage (I love Yang and his playstyle too, but yeah, he's not worth it right now)

LakeEarth

They completely lost Dudley's coolness factor for 3s. The voice actor sounds like a butler instead of Mr. Badass. And his rose isn't useful at all.

Imm0rt4l

How is Dudley in AE? watching footage of matches with him in 3S makes him seem cool as fuck.
Dudley is cool as fuck period. He's not very strong in AE(tie wise), but he's like a can opener and can convert damage very well. Watch thirtyfour's dudley and tutorials to get an idea of how he is supposed to play.

Edit: lake earth is right about dudley va

I set him to JP voice

LakeEarth

I can only set Japanese characters to Japanese, I don't know why.

Of course, public service announcement, EVERYONE should change Makoto's voice to japanese since it is the same voice actor from 3s. At least it sounds identical.

notworksafe

Probably not surprising to anyone but me but Cammy is pretty fun to play. Been having a blast with her online, but need to put some actual practice in for locals.

And dat JP voice is the best. SPILAL ALLOW!!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Probably not surprising to anyone but me but Cammy is pretty fun to play. Been having a blast with her online, but need to put some actual practice in for locals.

And dat JP voice is the best. SPILAL ALLOW!!
Eww no Eng cammy > JP cammy
JP cody is horrible too

I am on the same boat. His damage is kinda weak but he is fun and his ultras combo in corners. I have been trying to get the combos down but this is my first rekka character. Try antiair with the medium kick. It juggles and you can use it for a mixup.

Onemic

Dudley is cool as fuck period. He's not very strong in AE(tie wise), but he's like a can opener and can convert damage very well. Watch thirtyfour's dudley and tutorials to get an idea of how he is supposed to play.

Edit: lake earth is right about dudley va

I set him to JP voice

Ya, I heard he sucks in AE. What makes him bad exactly? Ive faced a few online and the ones I did face blew me up hard. dat j.hk

I messed around with him a bit in trials and got to his last one. It's all links throughout some I'm not even gonna bother completing it. He does seem to have a shit to n of targt combos though. Are they useful like Ibuki's or worthless like Yun's?

Robot Pants

Haha, so I'm guessing C.Viper is one of those things, where if you choose to play her. People you win over will be pissed off at you for playing such a "shit noob character"? :p
I've been playing this game since launch and I still don't really know how to block flame kicks. Whether that's my own fault or not, C. Viper pisses me off

cHaotix8

Ya, I heard he sucks in AE. What makes him bad exactly? Ive faced a few online and the ones I did face blew me up hard. dat j.hk

I messed around with him a bit in trials and got to his last one. It's all links throughout some I'm not even gonna bother completing it. He does seem to have a shit to n of targt combos though. Are they useful like Ibuki's or worthless like Yun's?

He has a very weak midrange game and bad hitboxes on his normals. No good low pokes, no real range on any of his normals. Most of the moves you use to poke with have a ton of recovery, making him susceptible to jump ins, focus attacks or whiff punishes if you don't hit with them. Dudley just has a very hard time getting in against a good chunk of the cast.

He has bad defense, since his only invincible move is EX DP. His back dash is okay though.

He makes up with it by having the highest damaging and stun combos in the game, but you have to make sure you can hit them consistently or you'll end up in a bad situation.

Some of his target combos have a use (f. mk > mk > hp to break focus, st. lk > st mk as a frame trap, cr. lk > cr. mp > cr. hp as a low hitconfirm/OS for bigger characters) but a good portion of them are rather useless. They scale his combo damage a bunch (other than one) and can sometimes mess up your inputs when you're getting crossed up.

Overall, the character is still playable, you're just going to have to work harder than with other characters. If you aren't anti airing with him though everyone's just going to walk all over you like they did to me in Super. :(

LakeEarth

Really hard for him to get in. Once he has a knockdown though, hang on to your butt.

Onemic

He has a very weak midrange game and bad hitboxes on his normals. No good low pokes, no real range on any of his normals. Most of the moves you use to poke with have a ton of recovery, making him susceptible to jump ins, focus attacks or whiff punishes if you don't hit with them. Dudley just has a very hard time getting in against a good chunk of the cast.

He has bad defense, since his only invincible move is EX DP. His back dash is okay though.

He makes up with it by having the highest damaging and stun combos in the game, but you have to make sure you can hit them consistently or you'll end up in a bad situation.

Some of his target combos have a use (f. mk > mk > hp to break focus, st. lk > st mk as a frame trap, cr. lk > cr. mp > cr. hp as a low hitconfirm/OS for bigger characters) but a good portion of them are rather useless. They scale his combo damage a bunch (other than one) and can sometimes mess up your inputs when you're getting crossed up.

Overall, the character is still playable, you're just going to have to work harder than with other characters. If you aren't anti airing with him though everyone's just going to walk all over you like they did to me in Super. :(

I was reading the thirtyfour tut and he actually says to watch 3s matches of dudley to learn how he plays like. Everyone says he's completely different from his 3S incarnation though. If true, that would be great because I've been thinking of playing dudley in 3s as well.

And isn't fwd HP a good normal? Of the good dudleys I've faced, they tended to abuse this normal and j.hk the most.

Beckx

I just beat level 9 in the challenge mode with Ryu. I have no idea how you guys play this game.

As someone who is trying to get into this as their first traditional fighting game, I feel like I'm learning how to play an instrument.

I think everyone's covered it, but don't bother with trials past just getting those initial moves down. Instead work on fundamentals and if you want to start working on links, this link from a few pages back is helping me immensely. I main Hakan and Bison and am finally getting serious about links, at least the easier ones like Bison's lk x 3 and Hakan's s.mp>s.lp (the latter is harder for me so not likely to incorporate it into my game for a while, the former is still a nice block string (if your timing is too late) w/ lk scissors finisher).

how would double tapping help with links? The game just takes that and makes the double tap 3 frames apart. I know it's good for ensuring specials/normals come out every time, but those aren't links.

IIRC double tapping helps with 3 frame links specifically.

------------------------------------

SRK has recovered and reposted Seth Killian's Controlling Space essay.

I main Hakan and Bison and am finally getting serious about links, at least the easier ones like Bison's lk x 3

i dont know why but this link is hard as fuck for me. i just use cr.jab x 2 > cr.MK xx LK scissors as my bnb. i do like bisons throw/ safe jump setup game and footsies...makes me want to drop honda

vocab

i dont know why but this link is hard as fuck for me. i just use cr.jab x 2 > cr.MK xx LK scissors as my bnb. i do like bisons throw/ safe jump setup game and footsies...makes me want to drop honda

That's because you can chain and link jabs and shorts. Not so much with other normals. I have a hard time with stuff like that too.

Beckx

Going to start working on this one too, thanks.

I'm not great with LKx3 yet, but getting better & feel like working on that rhythm will really help up my game overall.

cHaotix8

I was reading the thirtyfour tut and he actually says to watch 3s matches of dudley to learn how he plays like. Everyone says he's completely different from his 3S incarnation though. If true, that would be great because I've been thinking of playing dudley in 3s as well.

And isn't fwd HP a good normal? Of the good dudleys I've faced, they tended to abuse this normal and j.hk the most.

Thirtyfour is talking about buffering cancel-able normals to catch limbs when he was talking about Dudley being 3Sish. It works okay against some characters, but the hitbox on his normals aren't as good they were in 3S so you get a bad result.

fwd HP is good if it's spaced perfectly. If it whiffs, hits too early (it's active for 7 frames and is only plus on the later ones) or gets focused you're going to eat a ton of damage. Not to mention there are some characters who it just straight up whiffs on (Crouching honda not even blocking can make it whiff).

His mixup game is scary once you've conditioned your opponent to block, but it's hard to make them respect you in this game. People backdash/focus backdash, reversal, whatever, and it's hard to beat that. You have to know what counters what in all situations and consistently make the appropriate read to win.

There are plenty of characters that do Dudley's job better than he does (Cody, Sakura, Zangief) but he's still a playable. Just nowhere near as good as he was in 3S, where if you knocked someone down you got a guaranteed mixup without worrying about reversals for the most part.

cHaotix8

Are the listed changes gonna make him better in USF4 you think? Or are they Dee Jay like?(sorry Threi)

Depends on how "improved" his hitboxes are. If they hit where they actually look he should be good. Still, other characters are getting buffed too, so it's still to early to see where he stands. Either way, I'm excited that he's finally getting stuff fixed that players have complained about since super.

From eventhubs.com (from a "reliable source"), potential "tentative" Akuma changes
[Akuma Changes]
• Akuma has increased recovery on jump back air Hadouken.
• Can not FADC Shoryuken on 2nd hit.
• Can no longer option select crouching Heavy Kick into Ultra 1.

Poor Akuma.. I hope they give Yun some damage buffs and/or return Yun's divekick to vanilla AE status..

Imm0rt4l

From eventhubs.com (from a "reliable source"), potential "tentative" Akuma changes

Poor Akuma.. I hope they give Yun some damage buffs and/or return Yun's divekick to vanilla AE status..

1049.gif

Robot Pants

[Akuma Changes]
• Akuma has increased recovery on jump back air Hadouken.
• Can not FADC Shoryuken on 2nd hit.
• Can no longer option select crouching Heavy Kick into Ultra 1.

Wow that last one is a bit much.
The rest are fair though. I assume its increased recovery on both forward AND back air fireballs?

Still scared for Seth.

Imm0rt4l

Imm0rt4l, are you gonna troll the akuma boards again

Yaaasss, first thing I did after seeing that post was go over to the board. As soon as this is confirmed I'm going there to basque in their tears and rub their faces in the nerfs. I don't even post on srk anymore lol.

I'm more excited about Viper nerfs. Makes that move a bit less spammy, especially those reversal burn kicks that Vipers love going for.

xCobalt

Yaaasss, first thing I did after seeing that post was go over to the board. As soon as this is confirmed I'm going there to basque in their tears and rub their faces in the nerfs. I don't even post on srk anymore lol.

The nerfs don't really look that bad to me. Akuma's light dp is only 1 hit which potentially means he can still FADC it and continue the combo. It looks to be more of a damage nerf. His air fireball nerf seems to be only applicable to matches against grapplers. Why are you expecting tears?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
The idea behind the FADC nerf is that he won't be able to wakeup DP and FADC when he sees it blocked anymore.

Which is good. That shit is fucking retarded.

FlyFaster

Changes to Akuma are bullshit. He's been nerfed every single game/update. Seriously, I thought having Combofiend there would change things. I guess not.

edit-

- air fireball nerf, is this supposed to make the match for grapplers easier? He already has the 2nd lowest health in the game.
- FADC nerf on DP is lazy
- U1 cr.RH cancel isn't even an issue, nerf just to nerf. smh

edit:
I don't play akuma, but I hate seeing good characters get trashed by consecutive updates. Nerfing the best characters just makes the game more boring. Buff the low tiers a lot and either give small buffs or no buffs to the top tiers.

Veal

The nerfs don't really look that bad to me. Akuma's light dp is only 1 hit which potentially means he can still FADC it and continue the combo. It looks to be more of a damage nerf. His air fireball nerf seems to be only applicable to matches against grapplers. Why are you expecting tears?

Akuma dudes seem to cry about any change to their character.

Zaetus

Neo Member
All I want and need is a true wake up option for Vega. I do not care for the speed of his Ultras since they are already moderately fast. People love to spam random attacks on Vega once they get the knockdown.

Onemic

Akuma will still be top tier. Only change that would do anything seems to be the FADC nerf, which just makes him less derp. Nothing there is a real dealbreaker and even though he's getting nerfed it's so light he'll pretty much be exactly the same.

Changes to Akuma are bullshit. He's been nerfed every single game/update. Seriously, I thought having Combofiend there would change things. I guess not.

edit-

- air fireball nerf, is this supposed to make the match for grapplers easier? He already has the 2nd lowest health in the game.
- FADC nerf on DP is lazy
- U1 cr.RH cancel isn't even an issue, nerf just to nerf. smh

edit:
I don't play akuma, but I hate seeing good characters get trashed by consecutive updates. Nerfing the best characters just makes the game more boring. Buff the low tiers a lot and either give small buffs or no buffs to the top tiers.

Akuma's been nerfed every update, but has remained top tier in every update.

Threi

notag
Akuma dudes seem to cry about any change to their character.
All players "cry" about their character. That is what is always the most depressing thing about patches and updates though. For characters that really do need help and are lower tier, any "crying" (whether or not it may be a legitimate complaint about tools the character lacks and why they ARE lower tier), gets completely lost in the noise of people who cry that their top 10 character may wind up top 15 instead due to nerfs (and its a LOT louder because of course those characters have a MUCH larger playerbase) and those complaints essentially get ignored.

If 1000 people cry that top tier is getting nerfed too hard, or 5000 complain that their upper mid tier isn't getting enough to compete with top tier (ignoring the fact that their char stomps on a good half of the roster), Capcom will definitely see that as a priority over the 5-10 people who complain that their bottom tier and underused character isn't getting enough.

Or they will just ignore them all together and dismiss it all as low-level player complaints.

Its personally why my excitement for balance updates last for about a minute...and then reality hits me with a bat. We are going to go through this same stupid song and dance again.

FlyFaster

Akuma will still be top tier. Only change that would do anything seems to be the FADC nerf, which just makes him less derp. Nothing there is a real dealbreaker and even though he's getting nerfed it's so light he'll pretty much be exactly the same.

Akuma's been nerfed every update, but has remained top tier in every update.

just feels like the game is getting more and more watered down each time. I honestly thought that having Combofiend there would prevent this kind of thing from happening again. I was wrong.

xCobalt

The idea behind the FADC nerf is that he won't be able to wakeup DP and FADC when he sees it blocked anymore.

Which is good. That shit is fucking retarded.

Akuma can still wake up with light dp. He can also FADC the first hit of his other dps if he sees it being blocked. I still don't see the nerf here except for damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom