• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranzor

I just beat level 9 in the challenge mode with Ryu. I have no idea how you guys play this game.

As someone who is trying to get into this as their first traditional fighting game, I feel like I'm learning how to play an instrument.

Onemic

I just beat level 9 in the challenge mode with Ryu. I have no idea how you guys play this game.

As someone who is trying to get into this as their first traditional fighting game, I feel like I'm learning how to play an instrument.

It's actually pretty much the same thing. It's a process.

Trickster

I've pretty much given up on doing challenges over level 10-12 with most characters until my fightstick arrives. My thumbs have litterally gotten sore from trying to do the various challenges after those levels. The margins you have to chain certain attacks together is just infuriating lol.

Even the lower ones can be ridiculously hard. Like, I think I spend 10 minutes trying to do Cody's level 7 trial, which is just a l-hit -> m-hit combo.

Robot Pants

I've pretty much given up on doing challenges over level 10-12 with most characters until my fightstick arrives. My thumbs have litterally gotten sore from trying to do the various challenges after those levels. The margins you have to chain certain attacks together is just infuriating lol.

I've done them all twice (jesus C. Viper) and I'm reaaaaaallly not looking forward to doing them all over again for Ultra. I may just skip it this time around since I don't care too much for achievements anymore.

Edgeward

Even the lower ones can be ridiculously hard. Like, I think I spend 10 minutes trying to do Cody's level 7 trial, which is just a l-hit -> m-hit combo.

It's timing. Do them too fast, you won't get the 2nd hit. Too slow and they won't combo. Try to wait for the animation of the lp to be completely done before hitting mp.

Have you learned about plinking or double tapping? It'll make links insanely easier to do.

OceanBlue

Lol, that last round. :(

ggs guys. It's always fun playing against people a lot better than me. I'll have to watch replays and think about stuff. I have a lot to work on, lol.

Rocwell

Lol, that last round. :(

ggs guys. It's always fun playing against people a lot better than me. I'll have to watch replays and think about stuff. I have a lot to work on, lol.

ggs! I think your play is pretty solid. You just need more experience and to learn all the matchups. Like when you can punish an opponent for doing an unsafe move or press buttons when they're at a disadvantage.

And you do know ex tatsu is a free ultra in the corner right? I hurt for you when you hit bison with it and didn't follow up with anything XD That's why I always
at least
double tap ultra inputs. Sucks missing with it because of input delay and what have you.

Bizazedo

And you do know ex tatsu is a free ultra in the corner right? I hurt for you when you hit bison with it and didn't follow up with anything XD That's why I always
at least
double tap ultra inputs. Sucks missing with it because of input delay and what have you.

I think by the Bison you mean me, and yeah, I was like.."Noooo, Ultra inc...no?!"

Onemic

Have you learned about plinking or double tapping? It'll make links insanely easier to do.

how would double tapping help with links? The game just takes that and makes the double tap 3 frames apart. I know it's good for ensuring specials/normals come out every time, but those aren't links.

Trickster

Just watched that plinking video. Very cool that you can do that. But fuck trying to do that on my joypad lol. Will wait until I get my fightstick before I start messing with that.

I'd recommend Bison. Ryu is easy to learn but I think starting off with him will develop bad habits. Also, consider using someone you like playing as. I tend to be more committed and willing to learn if I enjoy the character I'm playing.
It's a good thing I like Bison then (even though I've never played SF4)

xCobalt

Just watched that plinking video. Very cool that you can do that. But fuck trying to do that on my joypad lol. Will wait until I get my fightstick before I start messing with that.

Not sure what your button config is but you should be able to plink the shoulder buttons with one of the face buttons.

Essay

Wow, I'm actually getting into SFIV again. My Vega was growing stale on me for awhile, but now I've jumped back in with Ibuki and am having a blast. It's fun playing footsies when your character doesn't have godlike buttons. And, hey, they're introducing in my 3S main (Elena) with USFIV, so maybe for the first time in my life I'll play more than one character in a Street Fighter game!

Trickster

Not sure what your button config is but you should be able to plink the shoulder buttons with one of the face buttons.

Oh I'm sure you could do it on a joypad. But it just seems like it'll be a lot more difficult than with a fightstick. And since I'm getting my fightstick any day now. I don't really want to start trying to do it on a joypad :p

I remember seeing the name Alex Valle quite a few places. is this really him playing?

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive

His getting his ass kicked by someone called latif apparently, who's playing C.Viper and makes her looks pretty insane imo. Makes me want to play her :p

Fuck Viper, so much abusable shit. It made me mad watching those matches. Easy ways in, safe on block specials, and high damage and stun from her bnb's. But she's got poor footsies right? Who needs footsies when you make your opponents afraid to anti air or chuck fireballs against you? I'm really glad Haitani took him out at EVO.

Trickster

Fuck Viper, so much abusable shit. It made me mad watching those matches. Easy ways in, safe on block specials, and high damage and stun from her bnb's. But she's got poor footsies right? Who needs footsies when you make your opponents afraid to anti air or chuck fireballs against you? I'm really glad Haitani took him out at EVO.

Haha, so I'm guessing C.Viper is one of those things, where if you choose to play her. People you win over will be pissed off at you for playing such a "shit noob character"? :p

Devined

Whose up for some games on PC? Also, do you guys use any kind of voicechat when you play?

If I use voice chat its skype, not the ingame voice. I don't use voice with anyone from gaf though. Not that I have anything against anyone, just that no one has expressed a need to use it.

Haha, so I'm guessing C.Viper is one of those things, where if you choose to play her. People you win over will be pissed off at you for playing such a "shit noob character"? :p

She isn't really that much of a shit noob character. She requires a pretty high level of execution to be able to play.

Horseress

Calm down my E. Ryu comrade, Combofiend will take care of her

Roche

So I got SF4 on PC and I've had one or two games where the connection has been perfect but for some reason the game crawls along like it's in slow motion. What causes this?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
C.Viper is in a weird spot, she requires execution to do her stuff. But she doesn't require execution to play. Eh... you'll get what I mean if you don't later XD

LakeEarth

I've done them all twice (jesus C. Viper) and I'm reaaaaaallly not looking forward to doing them all over again for Ultra. I may just skip it this time around since I don't care too much for achievements anymore.

Ya no way in hell I'm doing the trials. I am not learning RSF loops again. Though getting C.Vipers last couple is one of the better "fuck ya" gaming moments I have.

And none of that "C to Shinning C" bullshit. I am not doing that for 40+ characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom