• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCKaos

Just started using Juri and oh sweet Jesus I can do so many things. It's super exciting being able to mess with my projectiles. It trips up so many people.

Westlo

PS - Part of me really wants to go to the Akuma forums on SRK to see the reaction - am I a bad person?

No point, they all left the forum after Akuma got nerfed to Dan tier status in 2012 and Ryu became the best shoto. I remembered they all whined about not a single buff and I'm like, Yun and Yang got nerfed, that's massive for Akuma.

McNum

Just going to doublecheck this. I patched my game to 1.07 (ver 2012) and redownloaded the AE upgrade. That means I'm good to go, right?

I'm thinking of taking good old Zangief online this weekend, anything I should know about Gief since pre-AE Super SF4? More/less SPD range, new properties on any moves?

Just going to doublecheck this. I patched my game to 1.07 (ver 2012) and redownloaded the AE upgrade. That means I'm good to go, right?

I'm thinking of taking good old Zangief online this weekend, anything I should know about Gief since pre-AE Super SF4? More/less SPD range, new properties on any moves?

Gief's light punch SPD range is massive. You can take about 2 steps forward from the start of the round, and you'll be in range.

McNum

Gief's light punch SPD range is massive. You can take about 2 steps forward from the start of the round, and you'll be in range.
Hold on a second... Doesn't that mean that if I sweep a guy, he's actually in range for LP SPD when he gets up? Same deal for a fast Lariat anti-air on a jump in?

EDIT: This is such a newbie Gief question, but... what's the purpose of the Green Hand move, anyway? I think it crushes projectiles if you hit them with the green part, but that's not easy to aim for me.

Hold on a second... Doesn't that mean that if I sweep a guy, he's actually in range for LP SPD when he gets up? Same deal for a fast Lariat anti-air on a jump in?

EDIT: This is such a newbie Gief question, but... what's the purpose of the Green Hand move, anyway? I think it crushes projectiles if you hit them with the green part, but that's not easy to aim for me.

If you can hit someone with his standing roundhouse, then they're probably in range for light SPD. Test out the range in Training Mode and be amazed!

And yeah, Green Hand can kill projectiles, but it's mainly used to close the distance between the two of you.

the green hand is very punishable on block, but as mentioned above its more of a distance closer than anything.

also, geif's forward roundhouse even if it doesnt hit, if you can at least get his foot in front of your opponent's face you will still be in range. for light punch spd.

So whiffing by mistake can still be profitable since opponents will see the whiff and attempt to attack. more often than not they will try to sweep which will bring their hitboxes even closer.

LakeEarth

Odd, yesterday I hit with Rose's slide in the corner, and the pushback was abnormally large. Like I hit him and bounced a quarter screen back. I had orbs activated, and they didn't hit because of it, that's how far back I "bounced". Never seen that happen before.

xCobalt

Odd, yesterday I hit with Rose's slide in the corner, and the pushback was abnormally large. Like I hit him and bounced a quarter screen back. I had orbs activated, and they didn't hit because of it, that's how far back I "bounced". Never seen that happen before.

Sounds like the slide traded with something. Do you remember who you were fighting against?

LakeEarth

Sounds like the slide traded with something. Do you remember who you were fighting against?

I had no life left, so that couldn't have been it. It hurt too, cause that would've led to a juicy comeback orb combo into KO. It was against a Ryu. I wish it was recorded, I don't know why we don't have that option for every match (download not upload).

I had no life left, so that couldn't have been it. It hurt too, cause that would've led to a juicy comeback orb combo into KO. It was against a Ryu. I wish it was recorded, I don't know why we don't have that option for every match (download not upload).

doesnt it record the last 10 matches always? check that video thing i think its one of the options.

Beckx

ahahahah

‏@AlexValleSF4 This is why WNF has so many killers. I've trained them to not jump, mash, tech, or hang themselves. Now many of them place top 8 nationally.

@kineda @AlexValleSF4 That's the opposite of @JohnChoiBoy. He trains NorCal to jump and mash more. Many of us place at the bottom 8 nationally.

I really need to work on my frame traps with ryu. Also I need to learn the damn e. ryu matchup, also honda.

fireball x infinity (only slightly exaggerating). versus a competent ryu, the only way honda can get in is either VERY slowly by neutral jump fierce and moving slightly forward, or guessing correctly on a jump in. but ryu's anti airs are so fucking good it won't matter. as soon as honda can get in comfortably, you've already built enough meter to dp fadc ultra. and once ryu gets a knockdown you can do safe jumps and crossup tatsu bullshit and/or pressure.

i swear this matchup is closer to 6-4 ryu, because he has tons of options on how to approach this fight. i'd rather fight a sim or guile, because i can at least get rewarded for playing stupidly and guess so much with just straight shenanigans. ryu is just too damn solid in this matchup.

i would say honda's 7-3 matchups are:
chun
sim
guile
fei
sagat
seth

6-4 probably:
ryu
akuma
ken
gouken

but i think more than anything, since honda isn't a popular character the matchup basics aren't as widely known.

Imm0rt4l

fireball x infinity (only slightly exaggerating). versus a competent ryu, the only way honda can get in is either VERY slowly by neutral jump fierce and moving slightly forward, or guessing correctly on a jump in. but ryu's anti airs are so fucking good it won't matter. as soon as honda can get in comfortably, you've already built enough meter to dp fadc ultra. and once ryu gets a knockdown you can do safe jumps and crossup tatsu bullshit and/or pressure.

i swear this matchup is closer to 6-4 ryu, because he has tons of options on how to approach this fight. i'd rather fight a sim or guile, because i can at least get rewarded for playing stupidly and guess so much with just straight shenanigans. ryu is just too damn solid in this matchup.

i would say honda's 7-3 matchups are:
chun
sim
guile
fei
sagat
seth

6-4 probably:
ryu
akuma
ken
gouken

but i think more than anything, since honda isn't a popular character the matchup basics aren't as widely known.

Thanks and I don't doubt it being tough. I'm not the best zoner, I tend to move forward rather than chuck fireballs.

xCobalt

Haha GGS. I get too serious when I play her :[

I just want to fuck around.

I think I made your Ryu friend mad.

I hardly ever play different characters lol. I just stick with what I know. My friend left because we had a really long set before hand and he wanted a break.

Venfayth

I hardly ever play different characters lol. I just stick with what I know. My friend left because we had a really long set before hand and he wanted a break.

KK, good :)

Yeah, I've just been playing a billion characters lately. I was so frustrated Makoto's fukiage wouldn't even trade with Gouken's divekick. :[

Tesseract

Banned
anybody here buy SSFIV AE on steam when it was $7.50 a few weeks ago? i needs a copy, i'll pay you or trade stuff for it, if available.

EDIT: Axispowers generously gifted me Super Street Fighter IV AE. Thanks again dude, you rock!

McNum

Wow, there's a lot of rust that needs to be shaken off my Zangief play. And that coming just from Training Mode. A Zangief that has trouble with 360 motions is not a battle-ready Zangief. But I'm getting better at them.

The Ultra 720 motion on the other hand... I mean the fail state is an EX SPD which is nice and all, but it isn't an Ultimate Atomic Buster. I have to jump to do it. However, I did something... odd. You know when you stop thinking and just do stuff? Well, I did a grounded 720 and I have no idea how. I'm thinking it was during a dash or something, but those are so, so quick, and my execution isn't at that level... at least I don't think it is. How did I do that?

I might need a little help getting my jumping habit beaten out of me at some point, too. Any of you in Europe and on PS3?

I also need to find out where my costume DLC went. I probably have to redownload the packs. At least I still have Blue Haggar Zangief.

You might find 360 motions easier if you just do a half circle motion (either forward or back) and then end in upforward/upback and tap the button quickly before you jump. Same motion as Fei's Chicken Wing. That still counts as a 360 so you can use that to do walk up Spinning Piledrivers without having to buffer the motion into a jump, dash or normal move.

McNum

You might find 360 motions easier if you just do a half circle motion (either forward or back) and then end in upforward/upback and tap the button quickly before you jump. Same motion as Fei's Chicken Wing. That still counts as a 360 so you can use that to do walk up Spinning Piledrivers without having to buffer the motion into a jump, dash or normal move.
That's what I'm doing. My goal is qcb+ub so I can use it for wakeup pressure. If the opponent does a wakeup Shoryuken, I'd like it to hit when I have the stick in db or b position. Then I can Lariat him for doing that and set it up again. At least that's the plan, and we all know what happens to plans in the face of the enemy...

I'm just really, really rusty. I think I need to do a few spot-repairs to my fightstick, too. The balltop has come loose. Well, it's an easy fix.

How I did a grounded 720 still puzzles me, though. I can do the grounded 360 because I cancel Gief's jump with the SPD. But how did I make the game ignore the u in the first 360? Wait... The first 360. It suddenly hits me what I did, probably.

Is this possible in the game? f, 360 (f, d, b, u), qcb, ub, PPP = Grounded Ultra I covered by a forward dash.

I don't have to input ALL of it during the dash, just the first u.

That's what I'm doing. My goal is qcb+ub so I can use it for wakeup pressure. If the opponent does a wakeup Shoryuken, I'd like it to hit when I have the stick in db or b position. Then I can Lariat him for doing that and set it up again. At least that's the plan, and we all know what happens to plans in the face of the enemy...

I'm just really, really rusty. I think I need to do a few spot-repairs to my fightstick, too. The balltop has come loose. Well, it's an easy fix.

How I did a grounded 720 still puzzles me, though. I can do the grounded 360 because I cancel Gief's jump with the SPD. But how did I make the game ignore the u in the first 360? Wait... The first 360. It suddenly hits me what I did, probably.

Is this possible in the game? f, 360 (f, d, b, u), qcb, ub, PPP = Grounded Ultra I covered by a forward dash.

I don't have to input ALL of it during the dash, just the first u.

It is definitely possible to do a standing 720, I've just never managed it. I think it's a case of doing the final half circle motion as fast as possible after the first up input, before your jump becomes airborne. I think that gives you something like four frames to work with though, which is why I've never managed it.

I have no idea if a dash input cancels a jump. Someone wiser could probably advise you on that. It is relatively easy to churn out a 720 during Gief's dash though. I usually just wildly rotate without much care for timing then deliberately hold back as the dash ends and tap the punches, to avoid an accidental jump.

Against lesser players you can get a fair bit of milage from landing an SPD, doing a light punch green hand to get in then going straight into another SPD. Then once they have The Fear and start jumping you can try to catch them by buffering the 720 into the green hand, ending in up forward and pressing all three kicks for Siberian Blizzard. It is your duty as a gief player to protect those skies.

McNum

Will Siberian Blizzard catch grounded people?

And yeah, I'm getting that playing Gief is all about being a bully. He can be overpowered quite easily if he's at a disadvantage, even with his massive health. But if he's up close and threatning SPD at you, he's a happy wrestler. Heck the fear of an SPD alone can be enough to get a reaction.

Much like throwing a fullscreen fireball with Ryu. I don't actually expect that to hit, I'm just claiming that area around the fireball as mine to see what you're going to do about it. Same with Gief. That area in front of him? That's his. It's all abut defending that area and getting people to worry about that. And Russia's skies. Gotta defend those, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom