• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupaNaab

Just wanted to expand on a change for my character Viper:

• If hit during start up of Burn Kick, C. Viper is considered grounded and is open to full combo.

This is purely to curb mashing in blockstrings. Previously Viper had her EX Seismo become throwable because it was being mashed during blockstrings. In exchange Viper players were given a throw invincible FPTK. The problem is that instead of using the FPTK, Viper players (and boy do I abuse this) preferred to just mash a burnkick while blocking. It was extremely rare to be punished for it because Viper is airborne if she is hit and otherwise its safe or a knockdown and meterless. This change will still beat all walkup throw attempts but Vipers will be less willing to do it. EX Seismo and EX Burn Kick might be more preferrable now but both are highly punishable. Otherwise we need the standard two meters for a safe FPTK FADC.

What didn't change was SJC Burn Kick. If you hit Viper out of a SJC Burnkick she's airborne and will not eat a combo.

Cranzor

I'm still having trouble getting into this game. Pretty much all that I've played of the game is just the challenges. I've been watching tutorial videos and stuff but I certainly don't feel ready to actually play the game. I still feel like I've got no idea what I'm doing.

Is it normal to spend a lot of time learning before actually playing? Or will I only learn well from playing real matches?

Cranzor

A little bit of both, tbh. Expect to lose a lot, also. But don't let the losses get to you. We've all been there.

Yeah, maybe I should just go for it and play some real matches. I'm just afraid that I'll end up resorting to button mashing on a real player instead of using stuff that I've learned.

FlyFaster

Yeah give Cammy a overhead as well, and more throw range.

well if they give her instant TK spikes back that counts.

I still think everyone should have an overhead move. normal or special. preferably a normal, something system wide like SF3. the only good thing to come out of that game imo - everyone got an overhead.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
All characters should have an overhead.

edit: I'm being serious. Why not?

Some characters have instant overheads, go find them yourself if you care enough.

Rose has an instant overhead with jump short. I've stolen a lot of games with it in tournaments.

Venfayth

Armor cancel ultra. Canceled the first few frames of his EX dash punch into ultra. Only a few characters have access to this. Balrog, El Fuerte, and Guy. Gouken can do it too but it's with his counter.

Juri can with her parry, too!

well if they give her instant TK spikes back that counts.

I still think everyone should have an overhead move. normal or special. preferably a normal, something system wide like SF3. the only good thing to come out of that game imo - everyone got an overhead.

Cannon Spikes are not overhead, you can block them crouching. :p

gutabo

Armor cancel ultra. Canceled the first few frames of his EX dash punch into ultra. Only a few characters have access to this. Balrog, El Fuerte, and Guy. Gouken can do it too but it's with his counter.

Actually every character with an armored special/ex/super/ultra move can do it too, it's not really that useful with everyone. Here's a detailed example with abel. Here's another brief example with Zangief(around the 6m13s mark). You can also do it off of a focus but it has a very strict timing and it's not as directional move friendly so at most you can use it to focus fireballs and cancel it into a taunt, or in gen's case, into a stance change which in the end acts as a parry.

• If hit during start up of Burn Kick, C. Viper is considered grounded and is open to full combo.

This is purely to curb mashing in blockstrings. Previously Viper had her EX Seismo become throwable because it was being mashed during blockstrings. In exchange Viper players were given a throw invincible FPTK. The problem is that instead of using the FPTK, Viper players (and boy do I abuse this) preferred to just mash a burnkick while blocking. It was extremely rare to be punished for it because Viper is airborne if she is hit and otherwise its safe or a knockdown and meterless. This change will still beat all walkup throw attempts but Vipers will be less willing to do it. EX Seismo and EX Burn Kick might be more preferrable now but both are highly punishable. Otherwise we need the standard two meters for a safe FPTK FADC.

The problem with Viper's Fierce TK is that it whiffs in a number of crouching moves of many characters, right now I remember Chun Li, Yuri and the twins, it's been long since I touched her. Also reversal Burn kick can be OSed, much like reversal EX seismo, they're slow specials.

FlyFaster

Cannon Spikes are not overhead, you can block them crouching. :p

yes, but it works so well as a tool to open people up, I feel it has almost the same use. possibly better.

Anyway, everyone in 3s had an overhead, not seeing the problem. And jumping attacks don't count. Someone mentioned rose, Sagat has one too, n.j. LK I think. But those are single hits and require a jump. it may end matches here and there but it's not the same thing as being able to open someone up on the ground and get an offense started.

really surprised at many of the reactions to this idea. It would make the game far more offense oriented. I thought that's what people wanted.

xCobalt

Sure, but there hasn't been an arcade in my hood since 2002. ( ._.)

People have access to youtube and streams, it wouldn't be hard to do optimal stuff day 1.

Man, I remember when AE was just released. Scouring youtube videos of off screen matches just so we could figure out the latest balance changes to characters and see how Oni and Evil Ryu played.

Morris

Disco Devil
Is Marz1991 a gaffer? I kinda sorta vaguely remember seeing that name here. If so...

I'm FloydM7 on PSN ... GGs! Work on your punishes and don't be afraid to DP between blockstrings if you have meter.

PS: Hey y'all

Marz

Is Marz1991 a gaffer? I kinda sorta vaguely remember seeing that name here. If so...

I'm FloydM7 on PSN ... GGs! Work on your punishes and don't be afraid to DP between blockstrings if you have meter.

PS: Hey y'all

Yea that's me bro. Good games your Yun is really good I had no idea what to do.

You were baiting out like everything I was scared to even hit a button lol.

BizzyBum

I understand why they did it, Evo and all...but damn, Ultra is too far away. Especially after next gen systems drop.

Yeah, definitely not an ideal release date, but this update is for the hardcore fans only who probably aren't interested in next-gen right away and will continue to play SF4 well into next-gen.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
That's the first time I went to sleep before 11 in years. And it feels good. I think I'm going to play tonight.

i went for hodna and somehow picked up ibuki instead. that was....interestign.

EDIT: kadey did you kick all those people in line? ._o

ggs kadey!

Roche

So how does one deal with characters like Zangief and Hakan when they can grab you so quickly?

I've had a lot of trouble dealing with these guys in particular since they can just sort of ignore what I'm trying to do, grab me and destroy my life.

LakeEarth

So how does one deal with characters like Zangief and Hakan when they can grab you so quickly?

I've had a lot of trouble dealing with these guys in particular since they can just sort of ignore what I'm trying to do, grab me and destroy my life.

You have to have an anti-grappler strategy, you can't play your "regular" game (just like you can't play your regular game against Viper, Cammy or Fuerte). You can't get up close against these characters, you gotta zone, abuse your best pokes, quick reactions to their whiffs, and being spot on with your anti-airs. Keep out of the corner. If they are "churning butter" (grinding 360 at every opportunity), bait it out and punish hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom