• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Trade to ultra, escape hurricane, fireball cancel super trick , FADC fierce srk ..etc

With dhalsim buff, I dont know how ryu can stand a chance if they leave him mostly the same ..

Ryu players can just pick a different character. Dhalsim has historically has always beaten Ryu since SF2. The only exception may have been Alpha 3.

xCobalt

Well, that sucks. No more safe jumping Honda when he has meter. I hope it's only throw invincibility and not strike, because that's pretty dumb.

Edit: Yo, just realized these aren't official! What a relief, cause I see a lot of loony stuff in the dropbox file.

Yeah, I should have made it clearer. It's worth looking at because a lot of stuff were approved. Chun, Yang, T.Hawk, Gief, Balrog and a few others have received most of their discussed changes.

I can't imagine Cody getting all of his buffs though. They seem really good.

Edit: Yo, just realized these aren't official! What a relief, cause I see a lot of loony stuff in the dropbox file.

I think these are Combofiends suggested changes. But if we go by what we've seen so far, it looks like almost everything has made it in. *rubs hands in anticipation for full Evil Ryu changelog*

I can't stand Ken's that don't chuck plasma. Dashing in, kara throwing, ex tatsu crossups...

I played a Ken player named Digimish who said he was a GAF'er, but I never heard of him. He kept doing dash > kara throw against me. It worked almost every single time because I just don't expect anybody to do that kind of stuff, well maybe except me when I played Ken.

Agree....well just bring back OG SF4 Ryu..

Super trap was soooo good back in the day. I would never waste EX meter because I just wanted to annoy non fireball characters with Super trap. What made it even sweeter is that many people thought they could do full screen FADC back dashes to avoid chip or jumping into the Super. Nope, Ryu's fierce Super will catch that as well and net me even more damage lol.

I.....I thought Seth was invincible when he activated that Ultra

He use to be, I think it got nerfed in AE or AE 2012. But before nothing would beat it and the only way to escape was teleports. Now a lot of things beat it, but it seems to mainly be moves that hit his mid section like Ryu's U2, Gief's green hand, or Yun's U1.

cHaotix8

I wanna play PC AE! GT = Its Chaotix

Edit: haha, I was in a rush when I posted it because I was starting a ranked match. Now it should make more sense!

Trade to ultra, escape hurricane, fireball cancel super trick , FADC fierce srk ..etc

With dhalsim buff, I dont know how ryu can stand a chance if they leave him mostly the same ..

yes, bring all this back...lol....and his fireball needs a slight damage buff. Vortex is too strong in this game, and it needs to be balanced by a more threatening zoning game. And give Sagat his standing kick into tigershot while we're at it.

yes, bring all this back...lol....and his fireball needs a slight damage buff. Vortex is too strong in this game, and it needs to be balanced by a more threatening zoning game. And give Sagat his standing kick into tigershot while we're at it.

Good idea!

OG SF4 Ryu + slight fireball damage buff.

OG SF4 Sagat

Seem fair vs Vortex....

DR2K

Banned
This game was so much easier when Cammy was considered low tier, at least I had an excuse for sucking with her, just have so much difficulty getting in and staying in.

Westlo

This game was so much easier when Cammy was considered low tier, at least I had an excuse for sucking with her, just have so much difficulty getting in and staying in.

So this game was never easier?

Top 10 Vanilla (and with todays tech minus lk crossup who knows how strong)
Top 5 Super
Top 10 AE (Why play her instead of Yun or Yang though?)
Top 5 2012

She'll probably still be Top 10 in Ultra.

And Cammy had broken ex strike unblockables off her 1 hit hk spiral arrow in AE, the revert to 2 hit super HK spiral arrow was more than likey to fix that as much as "buff" her. Every top Japanese player still considered Cammy strong in AE, if Yun and Yang weren't so ridiculous we would've seen more Cammy players.

But yeah I know what you mean as someone who subbed Cammy in vanilla and switched her to main sorely due to her getting a crossup in Super, now you're just another Cammy scrub if you suck with her.

DR2K

Banned
So this game was never easier?

Top 10 Vanilla
Top 5 Super
Top 10 AE (Why play her instead of Yun or Yang though?)
Top 5 2012

She'll probably still be Top 10 in Ultra.

And Cammy had broken ex strike unblockables off her 1 hit hk spiral arrow in AE, the revert to 2 hit super HK spiral arrow was more than likey to fix that as much as "buff" her. Every top Japanese player still considered Cammy strong in AE, if Yun and Yang weren't so ridiculous we would've seen more Cammy players.

mmm... not considered good in the early days Vanilla and Super. Not to say that she wasn't.

Westlo

mmm... not considered good in the early days Vanilla and Super. Not to say that she wasn't.

Oh yeah I agree she was considered a low tier hero back in vanilla, but people were taking notice of her, I remember Combofiend used her to reset a gf with Justin back when he was unbeatable in America, Sako and Alioune both started playing her at the end of vanilla dropping S tiers characters in Akuma and Sagat respectively.

Disagree about being considered weak at any time in Super, except by Cammy mains who bitched about not enough buffs until Sako showed them straight away she was strong. There was a lot of James Chen syndrome running through a lot of Cammy players back than, heck I still remember the epic, detailed beatdown Alioune gave him when he was whining about Cammy back in Vanilla (or was it early Super) on SRK.

I thought Cammy was free as hell back in the Vanilla days. But my view was pretty skewed because I was constantly bodying a couple of the PSN guys(Edge being one of them :p) and Kak on PC. So I had no idea what she was capable of since I wasn't running into any good ones online either. I remember Kak and I use to do FT10's on PC and I 10-0'd him several times. But then he started getting better at this game and started body'ing me. That's when my eyes started to realize how much of a beast she was. And then all these Sako videos came out and she vaulted into the top 5 pretty quickly after that.

xCobalt

I thought Cammy was free as hell back in the Vanilla days. But my view was pretty skewed because I was constantly bodying a couple of the PSN guys(Edge being one of them :p) and Kak on PC. So I had no idea what she was capable of since I wasn't running into any good ones online either. I remember Kak and I use to do FT10's on PC and I 10-0'd him several times. But then he started getting better at this game and started body'ing me. That's when my eyes started to realize how much of a beast she was. And then all these Sako videos came out and she vaulted into the top 5 pretty quickly after that.

Generally, everyone thought console characters were bad. Didn't turn out that way for Cammy and Fei though. The earliest thing I can remember about fei was Inthul blowing up Sanford at..ECT?

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Fei, Cammy, and Gen were never bad in Vanilla. Everyone was still new and and they sucked at SF4 lol. Akuma and his vortex didn't become popularized until after Evo 2009 and Sagat never won a major in the US.

Generally, everyone thought console characters were bad. Didn't turn out that way for Cammy and Fei though. The earliest thing I can remember about fei was Inthul blowing up Sanford at..ECT?

Cammy had potential, but Fei wasn't going anywhere in Vanilla. The Vanilla top tiers were just way too redunkulous. Fei has a great ground game, but his damage output is laughable compared to the likes of Sagat, Akuma, Viper, and Rufus. Cammy at least had TKCS and safe pressure, but no cross up which IMO kept her from cracking that elite group of 8 or so.

The heavy nerfs to the Vanilla top tiers and and buffs that Fei got vaulted him to top 5 in Super and top 3 in AE when he got even more buffs. But I think if you took the AE top 3 and put them in Vanilla, none of them would be considered top 5.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Vanilla Gen was just as good if not better than vanilla Cammy. Cammy's crossup j.lk is a big thing that makes her good but that shit sucked in vanilla and got buffed in super. Cammy was definitely still up there though.

Westlo

Cammy's j.lk only worked on like half (or maybe a quarter) the cast in vanilla IIRC, something I didn't know at the time since it was "common knowledge" she had no cross up.

How could you forget Justin Wong Fei Long Vs Daigo @ Season's Beating!

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Cammy had potential, but Fei wasn't going anywhere in Vanilla. The Vanilla top tiers were just way too redunkulous. Fei has a great ground game, but his damage output is laughable compared to the likes of Sagat, Akuma, Viper, and Rufus. Cammy at least had TKCS and safe pressure, but no cross up which IMO kept her from cracking that elite group of 8 or so.

The heavy nerfs to the Vanilla top tiers and and buffs that Fei got vaulted him to top 5 in Super and top 3 in AE when he got even more buffs. But I think if you took the AE top 3 and put them in Vanilla, none of them would be considered top 5.

In retrospect, Vanilla Fei would've probably ended up around top 10 in the game. Just the way Fei is designed he would go probably 5-5 or 4.5-5.5 against Ryu and Sagat. The damage output doesn't really matter if you can walk the opponent to the corner and dominate the close/midrange game. Remember his HK Chicken Wing was also invincible albeit with slower startup.

Oh and they nerfed the damage of Fei's crouching and standing jab from vanilla to super if I recall correctly, which could be significant if you fish for jab rekka option selects during neutral.

The Japanese didn't play on console, Inthul beat Sanford's Vanilla Sagat one major (I think it was ECT), and Justin Wong blew up Daigo in winner's finals(?) of Seasons Beatings. Besides those two specific events, there was never anyone at a high level who could showcase Fei because nobody gave him a chance.

Trickster

How can I check what characters I've completed arcade mode with? Trying to get the achievement for clearing it on medium with all characters.

cHaotix8

Cammy couldn't cross up with lk reliably, but her divekicks were more likely to cross up in Vanilla than they do now. Also, her DP did 150 damage on the first couple of frames, so DP FADC DP did 300 damage instead of the 200 it does now. And her non cinematic Ultra did more damage... Her far RH kinda sucked, but other than that I would definitely put her top 10 in Vanilla. Thing was, everyone was cheap as hell in that version. Sagat, Akuma, Ryu, Seth, Balrog, Bison, Zangief, Rufus, Cammy- Everyone else was pretty mediocre compared to them.

Cammy was definitely at her strongest in Super, but I'd still only put her at only second place after Akuma. Balrog and Bison gave her trouble but I think that was it.

In AE she was good, but not top 5. Top 10 definitely. She didn't have all the same setups off of RH spiral arrow that were in every other version of the game.

I think AE Yang and maybe AE Fei Long could maybe hang with the Vanilla top 5, but I don't Yun could take it. Dat Vanilla damage too stronk.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
It's funny how Super is remembered as being defense-heavy, but Akuma and Cammy were probably the best characters in that game. Probably wouldn't have been as defense-heavy as the game evolved, especially after unblockables were discovered, but it at least would've been a better balance between offense and defense than we have now.

The Japanese didn't play on console, Inthul beat Sanford's Vanilla Sagat one major (I think it was ECT), and Justin Wong blew up Daigo in winner's finals(?) of Seasons Beatings. Besides those two specific events, there was never anyone at a high level who could showcase Fei because nobody gave him a chance.

The famous Inthul vs Sanford was in Super. That version of Sagat was heavily neutered from Vanilla. As for Daigo vs Justin, that was Vanilla and Daigo got punished for blocked sweeps a lot. He had no idea how to fight Fei and was practically learning on the fly. Although Fei was probably a decent match for Ryu and Sagat, I don't see how he could compete with the other top tiers that had vortex and did so much damage.

LakeEarth

I wish I could find the Vanilla match vid where a Vega has a Sagat down to 10%, the Vega still has something like 75% life, and a single random uppercut FADC roundhouse kick into ultra killed the Vega. Vanilla ultras did insane damage.

FlyFaster

I wish I could find the Vanilla match vid where a Vega has a Sagat down to 10%, the Vega still has something like 75% life, and a single random uppercut FADC roundhouse kick into ultra killed the Vega. Vanilla ultras did insane damage.

I want the damage back.

20% damage increase across the board. Make that shit feel like ST again where jump in rh, punch link to SRK was like 40% life.

gutabo

You're always coming up with neat tricks. I wish I could play you again, but in real life and not accross the world.

Thanks renta <3 never forget the team tournament! :D I would love to play you to but at this pace the only chance we might have is to meet at evo and I can't make it as it is now :(

EDIT: Oh and you would beat my ass so hard... 99% of what I'm posting is at least 2 years old tech, and I don't even own a console anymore(it's been that way for at least 18 months, if not more). Hey at least I'm a true gaffer now, talking more about games than actually playing them! Kappa?

GGs Marz!

Sorry, at work right now and I haven't watched any replays so this is just going off memory.

Honda-Sagat:
The matchup should be dictated so that you completely zone me out with plasma and thwart any jump-in attempts with his gdlk anti airs.
Be more random with your fireball patterns. If I sat and crouched low, you kept throwing low tiger shots, which Honda's headbutt goes through (full screen) so I went for it often. Honda can only walk forward in this situation, and can only walk under high tigershots to approach. If a honda jumps from basically any closer than 3/4 of the screen, that should be a standing roundhouse or tiger uppercut.
You can punish med/fierce headbutts on block with kara-uppercut or knee or tiger shots (if you do a tiger shot make it ex so you get the knockdown). I got a lot of free chip damage from this. One of the first things I do in a sagat matchup is to see if they can punish a fierce headbutt. If not, then I'll just keep throwing them out there for chip.
I saw you buffering a lot, but were you just buffering fireballs? I was pretty comfortable jumping in on you and felt like I wasn't going to get hit with a tiger uppercut, even if I did get hit. I just wasn't afraid to jump in.
I noticed whenever I scored a knockdown off headbutt, you pretty much only did a quick getup and threw out a low tigershot. Sometimes you just gotta sit and block. Try not to stick to just one thing on wakeup.

Not bad though. I happen to enjoy this matchup, and I think it is the easiest out of Honda's worst matchups so I play pretty confidently against Sagat.

Roche

Haven't been liking Ibuki lately, I feel as though I'm getting much better using her though it feels like I'm winning most of my matches through the use of Vortex nonsense or once-off tricks.

If I face the same opponent twice they almost always beat me since they learn all my little tricks.
Winning isn't really that satisfying because of this. I might pick up a second character though I have no idea who I'd use. Maybe Evil Ryu or something.

Haven't been liking Ibuki lately, I feel as though I'm getting much better using her though it feels like I'm winning most of my matches through the use of Vortex nonsense or once-off tricks.

If I face the same opponent twice they almost always beat me since they learn all my little tricks.
Winning isn't really that satisfying because of this. I might pick up a second character though I have no idea who I'd use. Maybe Evil Ryu or something.

you don't like free-dizzy ambigous cross-up comboes?

Venfayth

Just.. don't vortex. Rofl.

That's what I do when I play Ibuki. The vortex is no fun. Use normals, play footsies. Try some of her advanced stuff.

When was the last time you used her towards+lk, her towards+hk, or done a cr.mk st.mk counterhit combo?

There's so much to her, but nobody learns it because they get stuck using the vortex.

The vortex is going away, anyways.

I still don't think I have that one. ( ._.)

It took me 3 years to get :/

How can I check what characters I've completed arcade mode with? Trying to get the achievement for clearing it on medium with all characters.

Check the character records in player data or whatever its called. It has the Arcade high score for each character. Unless you casually play arcade and drop out with random characters the high score should be 0

Roche

you don't like free-dizzy ambigous cross-up comboes?

Feels gimmicky at times, though I know I'll use it since losing in this game can sometimes make me want to punch kittens.

Just.. don't vortex. Rofl.

That's what I do when I play Ibuki. The vortex is no fun. Use normals, play footsies. Try some of her advanced stuff.

When was the last time you used her towards+lk, her towards+hk, or done a cr.mk st.mk counterhit combo?

There's so much to her, but nobody learns it because they get stuck using the vortex.

The vortex is going away, anyways.

Yeah, you're right Ibuki is a really cool character and she's lots of fun to play. Maybe I'm just getting a little bored and making up excuses, I've only played Ibuki since I started on this game so I think learning another character would probably be a good idea anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom