• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hey, I'll be commentating for this big 2-day fighting event that I've made (all the way back in 2009). People from all over Sweden, Norwary, Denmark, Finland will be coming.

As some of you already know, I've put the arcade stick on the table and stopped playing fighting games - but I've always loved the communities around the world. So I'll be commentating and hopefully I'll know what the heck I'm talking about (technical discussions might be hard, especially considering that I haven't understood the new games). It'll be streamed and it'll be hype!

Wish me luck guys~

2-4 August Örebrawl

cgl7heu.jpg

Hey, I'll be commentating for this big 2-day fighting event that I've made (all the way back in 2009). People from all over Sweden, Norwary, Denmark, Finland will be coming.

As some of you already know, I've put the arcade stick on the table and stopped playing fighting games - but I've always loved the communities around the world. So I'll be commentating and hopefully I'll know what the heck I'm talking about (technical discussions might be hard, especially considering that I haven't understood the new games). It'll be streamed and it'll be hype!

Wish me luck guys~

2-4 August Örebrawl

stream?

Sajjaja

So guys, just got this on PC 2 days ago from generousGAF. I've noticed I've gotten a lot better in just the span of a day but I'm still absolute crap. Been mostly playing Ken and Ryu since they're pretty much the same and have simple inputs. Any tips?

Also,
FUCK GUILE.
Took me literally 24 tries to beat him on medium in arcade as Ryu....

So guys, just got this on PC 2 days ago from generousGAF. I've noticed I've gotten a lot better in just the span of a day but I'm still absolute crap. Been mostly playing Ken and Ryu since they're pretty much the same and have simple inputs. Any tips?

Also,
FUCK GUILE.
Took me literally 24 tries to beat him on medium in arcade as Ryu....

playing on stick? pad? Or the mighty keyboard?

Either way you should learn about plinking to help you get certain combos down.

Evil Ryu is pretty much the same kind of "knock them down and run really ambiguous setups" character as Ibuki even if it isn't quite as brainless.

Evil Ryu is nothing like that. He's a footsie character first and foremost. He's got a knockdown game, but none of his specials give him the positioning to even set up his dive kick. So if he can get himself into position to run a mix up, once the combo ends the situation is reset and he has to work for that position again if he wants to run another set up.

About Comboless Clown, someone mentioned him earlier. I played him 3 times, went 1-2. I know how he plays and in the first match he used Ryu and I imitated his wackyness. But random stuff happens and I lose the match. He comes back as Dhalsim and has even more BP with him. I mess up some set ups and lose. He comes back for the 3rd match and I win, this time I don't drop anything. And he stops showing up. Too bad, I was hoping for more of that goofy Ryu.

Sajjaja

playing on stick? pad? Or the mighty keyboard?

Either way you should learn about plinking to help you get certain combos down.

I'm using my DS3 and directional buttons exclusively (no analog). Was told that it was better from a friend who plays fighting games a lot. What's plinking?

EDIT: Also, I read that you can enable an option to show my button inputs so I can see what it reads in training/challenge mode. How do I do that?

Trickster

Fucking great. The fightstick I ordered back on july 21st, and got a a amail about being dispatched, has now been canceled, 2 freaking weeks later.

Now to wait another 5-12 days for the one I ordered this time..

Threi

notag
I love Comboless Clown's style. Its complete crazyness/wackiness/scrubbiness, but he knows EXACTLY what he's doing and is actually pretty solid.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
BZM5nrE.jpg

Evil Ryu is nothing like that. He's a footsie character first and foremost. He's got a knockdown game, but none of his specials give him the positioning to even set up his dive kick. So if he can get himself into position to run a mix up, once the combo ends the situation is reset and he has to work for that position again if he wants to run another set up.

About Comboless Clown, someone mentioned him earlier. I played him 3 times, went 1-2. I know how he plays and in the first match he used Ryu and I imitated his wackyness. But random stuff happens and I lose the match. He comes back as Dhalsim and has even more BP with him. I mess up some set ups and lose. He comes back for the 3rd match and I win, this time I don't drop anything. And he stops showing up. Too bad, I was hoping for more of that goofy Ryu.

Don't know much about Evil Ryu admittedly but from what I've seen of Sako's play and personal experience, he seems pretty heavy on the mixup. Though it does look like he has more footsie options than I thought after rewatching a few of Sako's Evo matches. Sako destroyed Xiaohai's Cammy at that one JP tournament recently pretty much exclusively because of his mixup game, though maybe that's a character specific thing since apparently Cammy is one of like a handful of characters Evil Ryu can sweep after tatsu.

FlyFaster

What does Latif mean in that tweet?

I haven't heard of Seth changes.

Not that I care, I hate the character through and through. Lazy design and lazy move set imo.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
It is a bit of a "drunken boxing" type of style when i think about it lmao

I've heard this so many times its lost all meaning.

I'll give my sympathy to chars who had nothing and were given nothing instead thx.

No more stretchy jump fierce though bro. RIP Seth.

LakeEarth

The 2 ultra thing can't be real. Some characters have two great ultras while others have diddly squat. Unless they really tweak them, I just don't see it working.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
It might be true because "Ultra" SF4, and giving characters access to both ultras at the same time is the most obvious new ultra mechanic they can do that would also require the least programming.

Also because it would be fucking stupid and Capcom likes doing fucking stupid things.

Kinda feel bad for Seth's Uppercut. So much trade damage for him. I don't have a character with an SRK but it always sounded like a bad idea to get damage on him that way.

I love Comboless Clown's style. Its complete crazyness/wackiness/scrubbiness, but he knows EXACTLY what he's doing and is actually pretty solid.

I figured he knows what he's doing, but just plays this way intentionally. I mean the name itself gives it away.

Now a guy who is the complete opposite with a lot of PP/BP as well is this Oni player named "Cheng Thoo". I have a lousy connection with this guy but I play him anyways. And because it's so laggy, he gets away with so much stuff like EX cross up slash which I can't block in time because of the lag. He does a lot of other scrubby and strange stuff to and forces me into bad habits because I have to chase him around the entire stage since he corners himself without me even having to push him there. And to top it all off, I think he uses turbo because I've seen a few of his replays and it just looks very suspicious when multiple button presses show up for something as simple as a full screen fireball.

Degen

Having access to both Ultras at the same time would make the 720ers a lot more threatening, but characters like shotos would be... eh...

Bizazedo

agreed.

really hoping for that quarter circle U2 to come back. It was listed by both US and Japanese players.

He also needs other buffs as well.

It's the only thing I want.

I don't see it happening, though. At least, I am preparing to be disappointed. I just feel projectile characters probably bitched when it was two QCF's and that's why it was nerfed.

I don't know what else you can really do with him besides that that'd be a big deal, though. He's a really basic, middle of the road character.

Westlo

Eh more champ rumors, we'll see. but man gotta love Akuma SRK posters, worst on SRK by far. Seth gets killed in these rumors, meanwhile

Air fireball recovery increase and losing at least 50% usage of U1 =/= lost nothing at all

Yep sweep cancel into Ultra ='s 50% of Ultra 1 usage.

It's the only thing I want.

I don't see it happening, though. At least, I am preparing to be disappointed. I just feel projectile characters probably bitched when it was two QCF's and that's why it was nerfed.

I don't know what else you can really do with him besides that that'd be a big deal, though. He's a really basic, middle of the road character.

while we're at it, lets make honda's ultra 1 qcf x2. same utility, why don't other (primarily) charge characters get access to this motion?

Threi

notag
Well, it could be worse. If could be a pretzel motion that requires down and back charge (and considering bison's u2 is based on headstomp/devil's reverse it wouls make more sense) but Capcom figured that'd be too stressful and just gave him a regular forward-back motion. Cause...ya know having a pretzel motion on your primary ultra would be impossible...nobody could ever deal with that...

Degen

I want "qcf,hcb" and "qcb,hcf" super/ultra motions like the other 2D fighters have

capcom get with the times

I never played him. But he sounds like the type of guys that get into my head and somehow manage to guess right every time, lol.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
Charge characters don't get command motions for their ultras because it's not intuitive by design. Why does a charge character get to have the ability to walk forward and punish fireball characters?

M. Bison could do that in SSF4 and he demolished command fireball characters.

Bizazedo

Charge characters don't get command motions for their ultras because it's not intuitive by design. Why does a charge character get to have the ability to walk forward and punish fireball characters?

M. Bison could do that in SSF4 and he demolished command fireball characters.

Exactly, that's why all the Japanese and American Bisons wanted it back.

That's also why I don't see it happening. The day I anticipated and successfully on reaction'd a Guile's sonic boom from full screen was the day I was like "Oh yeah, this ain't staying."

Sajjaja

I had this awful losing streak in SF4...... I got so frustrated because of my near wins that I lightly punched my closet door....and I cracked it...

cHaotix8

His divekick is garbage, it's been nerfed to oblivion since Vanilla.

The fact that you can't reliably anti air him jumping at you (unless you're cammy) is a retarded mixup in it's own right. It's stupid.

That's also why I don't see it happening. The day I anticipated and successfully on reaction'd a Guile's sonic boom from full screen was the day I was like "Oh yeah, this ain't staying."

There's no way you're going to be punishing a lp sonic boom from Guile with that Ultra unless you predict it in something like the first 10 frames. It'll be good for the other versions I guess, but that matchup ain't gonna change much.

Bison still rapes shotos for the most part anyway though. Goes even with Sagat and Dhalsim?

The fact that you can't reliably anti air him jumping at you (unless you're cammy) is a retarded mixup in it's own right. It's stupid.

There's no way you're going to be punishing a lp sonic boom from Guile with that Ultra unless you predict it in something like the first 10 frames. It'll be good for the other versions I guess, but that matchup ain't gonna change much.

Bison still rapes shotos for the most part anyway though. Goes even with Sagat and Dhalsim?

the more people talk about him, sometimes i wonder why i still stick with honda, when it seems like bipson is probably a better charge character/alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom