• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Playing different kinds of characters is pretty important in fighting games. Even if they don't suit your personal playstyle it's still good to have more of an idea of what people who play those different kinds of characters are thinking. Especially in SF4 if you play a vortex character like Ibuki, Viper, etc. I played vortex characters in SF4 for so long that I pretty much forgot how to play footsies until I started playing Chun a lot.

You should try getting good with Chun, Guile, Deejay, Bison, Vega, or Zangief or someone. Evil Ryu is pretty much the same kind of "knock them down and run really ambiguous setups" character as Ibuki even if it isn't quite as brainless.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Got a new router. Will test to see if connection is more stable than the previous one which caused random spikes

Roche

Playing different kinds of characters is pretty important in fighting games. Even if they don't suit your personal playstyle it's still good to have more of an idea of what people who play those different kinds of characters are thinking. Especially in SF4 if you play a vortex character like Ibuki, Viper, etc. I played vortex characters in SF4 for so long that I pretty much forgot how to play footsies until I started playing Chun a lot.

You should try getting good with Chun, Guile, Deejay, Bison, Vega, or Zangief or someone. Evil Ryu is pretty much the same kind of "knock them down and run really ambiguous setups" character as Ibuki even if it isn't quite as brainless.

This is very true, I've found that attempting to play other characters usually makes me look like I've never seen the game before let alone played it. I think playing as Chun or Bison might be a good idea now that you mention them, I always have fun fighting against these two might as well give them a shot.

Play Juri :)

I'm always terrified when I play against Juri, that wheel kick she does demands respect. Might give her a try see what happens.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I could never forget thanks to Yoshichan throwing his TE in the trash and photographing it after Inthul took 3rd at ECT
No regrets...

edit: ffs, are you dementia? I'm so confused.

Venfayth

Not quite. She has less options but the vortex is still there. People will probably end combos with Tsumuji (kicks) now and start their mixup from there.

The worst part of the vortex now to me is unblockables, which hopefully will be removed with system changes. HK Tsumuji mixups aren't as hard to see. She'll still have setups and stuff obviously, but it'll be a smaller part of her game plan.

(I hope)

I'm always terrified when I play against Juri, that wheel kick she does demands respect. Might give her a try see what happens.

If you want to play sometime, I can show you what my Juri is all about!

def sim

I've been playing AE PC with vsync on for the past six months and only now did I try borderless window mode.

It's like taking the weighted clothes off. :O

Onemic

The worst part of the vortex now to me is unblockables, which hopefully will be removed with system changes. HK Tsumuji mixups aren't as hard to see. She'll still have setups and stuff obviously, but it'll be a smaller part of her game plan.

Can she combo into kicks after a vortex setup?

I just started playing this game and have been trying the arcade mode with ryu on medium hard, the barrel bonus stage is giving me nightmares, I often get to fight Ken before he stops me stone cold and after a couple hours I decided to give it a break and started doing the challenges.

Well as it turns out, my timing is not working, sometimes I manage to succeed in a level more because of chance or plain button mashing than real skill. I also got stuck on level 14,I spent about an hour yesterday trying to get the jump H kick and the stand H punch sometimes I manage to follow up with the shoryuken and then I'm supposed to ex cancel and do the ultra hadoken, :(

I even watched a YouTube video to see how it's done and now I need to find one that does it in real slow motion if I want to see or learn something.

Anyway, despite the rant I'm having fun and like the challenge. I just hope I don't burst out in flames from the frustration before I get better.

Tips and suggestions appreciated.

P. S. And then I have to learn other 39 characters. :(

Onemic

I just started playing this game and have been trying the arcade mode with ryu on medium hard, the barrel bonus stage is giving me nightmares, I often get to fight Ken before he stops me stone cold and after a couple hours I decided to give it a break and started doing the challenges.

Well as it turns out, my timing is not working, sometimes I manage to succeed in a level more because of chance or plain button mashing than real skill. I also got stuck on level 14,I spent about an hour yesterday trying to get the jump H kick and the stand H punch sometimes I manage to follow up with the shoryuken and then I'm supposed to ex cancel and do the ultra hadoken, :(

I even watched a YouTube video to see how it's done and now I need to find one that does it in real slow motion if I want to see or learn something.

Anyway, despite the rant I'm having fun and like the challenge. I just hope I don't burst out in flames from the frustration before I get better.

Tips and suggestions appreciated.

P. S. And then I have to learn other 39 characters. :(

Trials are not important if you want to learn how to play the game.

Trials are not important if you want to learn how to play the game.

Trial combos are inefficient if you're looking to maximize damage or use meter intelligently.
Ok, I get it. I'm mostly an offline player trying to get the most out of the game. Meaning I just want to finish the arcade mode with as many characters I can and the trials seemed like a fun thing to do.

I get that I should get online and play a lot or get someone to teach me to get better but I'm not that involved yet.

BizzyBum

Unfortunately my PC is buggin the fuck out lately with my display drivers randomly crashing so I can only play on 360 and PS3 for now.

Westlo

Any time (as far as I am aware of) that Ibuki can combo into neckbreaker, she could also combo into kicks. There may be some funky distances where not all hits will connect, though.

Isn't fixing the hit box for kicks one of her buffs though?

Marz

GGs Marz!

Sorry, at work right now and I haven't watched any replays so this is just going off memory.

Honda-Sagat:
The matchup should be dictated so that you completely zone me out with plasma and thwart any jump-in attempts with his gdlk anti airs.
Be more random with your fireball patterns. If I sat and crouched low, you kept throwing low tiger shots, which Honda's headbutt goes through (full screen) so I went for it often. Honda can only walk forward in this situation, and can only walk under high tigershots to approach. If a honda jumps from basically any closer than 3/4 of the screen, that should be a standing roundhouse or tiger uppercut.
You can punish med/fierce headbutts on block with kara-uppercut or knee or tiger shots (if you do a tiger shot make it ex so you get the knockdown). I got a lot of free chip damage from this. One of the first things I do in a sagat matchup is to see if they can punish a fierce headbutt. If not, then I'll just keep throwing them out there for chip.
I saw you buffering a lot, but were you just buffering fireballs? I was pretty comfortable jumping in on you and felt like I wasn't going to get hit with a tiger uppercut, even if I did get hit. I just wasn't afraid to jump in.
I noticed whenever I scored a knockdown off headbutt, you pretty much only did a quick getup and threw out a low tigershot. Sometimes you just gotta sit and block. Try not to stick to just one thing on wakeup.

Not bad though. I happen to enjoy this matchup, and I think it is the easiest out of Honda's worst matchups so I play pretty confidently against Sagat.

O wow I didn't even know high tiger shots can hit Honda out of headbutt....that explains a lot lmao.

I know I'm pretty free to jump ins right now, its something I've been working on, I've only been playing Sagat for a couple months so every matchup and round is a learning experience for me. I was actually buffering uppercut motion to try and react to headbutt although it didn't really work out to well lol

Thanks for the advice man and GGs! Hopefully the connection was good on your end it was good for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom