• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westlo

I still don't believe it - or it won't stick.
How can they not realize that all of those literally kill Seth as a character. He will drop badly.

Makes a mockery of their "We don't want to nerf characters, we want them all to be strong stance. Slight reductions like Cammy's heavy attacks turning into mediums in dgm and stun output is fine I guess, same with the Akuma rumors, but these Seth rumors are bullshit. I hate the character, hate fighting him, hope he never makes another SF game but it's still bullshit they want to gut him like this and probably get him 50-100 extra health in return.

Imm0rt4l

Makes a mockery of their "We don't want to nerf characters, we want them all to be strong stance. Slight reductions like Cammy's heavy attacks turning into mediums in dgm and stun output is fine I guess, same with the Akuma rumors, but these Seth rumors are bullshit. I hate the character, hate fighting him, hope he never makes another SF game but it's still bullshit they want to gut him like this and probably get him 50-100 extra health in return.
Buffing every character to the Seth level of stupidity is unrealistic,gamebreaking and most importantly not street fighter. The more honest fights the better.

Based DemoniK

Neo Member
Buffing every character to the Seth level of stupidity is unrealistic,gamebreaking and most importantly not street fighter. The more honest fights the better.

Nobody said anything about buffing characters to Seth levels of stupidity. The issue is leaving characters that are blatantly better than Seth relatively close to their same level in Ultra while hitting him so hard that he'll lose all viability at anything other than low-mid level play.

Imm0rt4l

Nobody said anything about buffing characters to Seth levels of stupidity. The issue is leaving characters that are blatantly better than Seth relatively close to their same level in Ultra while hitting him so hard that he'll lose all viability at anything other than low-mid level play.
This post assumes a lot about the changes in progress.

Seth is bottom 5 in ultra for sure

Westlo

I have no idea what the Ken vs Seth matchup is right now but if Ken gets all the changes Combo proposed he turns a 4-6 into a 5-5 easy, 5-5 into 6-4 etc. And that's before you nerf Seth.

Cammy was 10-15th placed in AE, reverting her HK Spiral Arrow to how it was in Super (and keep in mind noone asked for this to be nerfed in the firstplace) combined with nerfs to top tier Yun, Yang and Seth boosted her to top 3.

It's extremely silly if you think these changes to Seth aren't overthetop when most of the cast is significantly getting buffed if Ken and Chun Li are anything to go by, and other characters only need minor changes to significantly leap up the tier ladder, as shown by Cammy in the last update.

Imm0rt4l

I have no idea what the Ken vs Seth matchup is right now but if Ken gets all the changes Combo proposed he turns a 4-6 into a 5-5 easy, 5-5 into 6-4 etc. And that's before you nerf Seth.

Cammy was 10-15th placed in AE, reverting her HK Spiral Arrow to how it was in Super (and keep in mind noone asked for this to be nerfed in the firstplace) combined with nerfs to top tier Yun, Yang and Seth boosted her to top 3.

It's extremely silly if you think these changes to Seth aren't overthetop when most of the cast is significantly getting buffed if Ken and Chun Li are anything to go by, and other characters only need minor changes to significantly leap up the tier ladder, as shown by Cammy in the last update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gib7_FDD60Q

Once again this post is presumptuous and premature. Seth is a wildcard with stupid priority and requires no footsies, taking some of his tools away isn't the same as that of an ordinary sf character. This is the exact same shit we heard when Seth lost his yoga sniper. The fact that capcom has been able to remove an entire move from him and he stayed competitive is testament to his bullshit extremely versatile/volatile design. Capcom may feel like they are fixing him, perhaps even giving something in return. He's awfully nimble for a 'glass cannon'. I'm all for playing some theory fighter, but saying a matchup changes without any supporting evidence doesn't really convince me.

Based DemoniK

Neo Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gib7_FDD60Q

Once again this post is presumptuous and premature. Seth is a wildcard with stupid priority and requires no footsies, taking some of his tools away isn't the same as that of an ordinary sf character. This is the exact same shit we heard when Seth lost his yoga sniper. The fact that capcom has been able to remove an entire move from him and he stayed competitive is testament to his bullshit extremely versatile/volatile design. Capcom may feel like they are fixing him, perhaps even giving something in return. He's awfully nimble for a 'glass cannon'. I'm all for playing some theory fighter, but saying a matchup changes without any supporting evidence doesn't really convince me.

Losing yoga sniper was only an issue to people that were playing the character wrong to begin with, all it did was change a few matchups to be less horrible. Taking away everything that makes a character good on the other hand is ridiculous.

And for him not needing footsies now, what is he going to do if he loses everything else? His only decent normals are s.mk, s.mp for a decent anti-air and c.mp. I'm not sure if you're even at a level where your comments should really be taken seriously anymore.

Imm0rt4l

I remember when Akuma players said he lost the vortex when his demon flip palm wasn't an overhead anymore

This was absolutely hilarious to me. Oh noes the high low aspect of my vortex as been mitigated, one less way to get a knockdown out of a dozen. Akuma is no longer top 5 for sure.

Losing yoga sniper was only an issue to people that were playing the character wrong to begin with, all it did was change a few matchups to be less horrible. Taking away everything that makes a character good on the other hand is ridiculous.

And for him not needing footsies now, what is he going to do if he loses everything else? His only decent normals are s.mk, s.mp for a decent anti-air and c.mp. I'm not sure if you're even at a level where your comments should really be taken seriously anymore.

Well if you're ever on PSN in the US feel free to try me. In the mean time I'll use your tears as my bidet(shoutouts to CBoaT)

Based DemoniK

Neo Member
This was absolutely hilarious to me. Oh noes the high low aspect of my vortex as been mitigated, one less way to get a knockdown out of a dozen. Akuma is no longer top 5 for sure.

Well if you're ever on PSN in the US feel free to try me. In the mean time I'll use your tears as my bidet(shoutouts to CBoaT)

Could play right now.

Seriously? LOL

Not even that Bison has so many effective wakeup options, but that the threat of having then is such an advantage. You can wind up getting off for free because your opponent is hesitant to pressure you on wakeup. Like for example they expect a wakeup ex pc and jumpback rh, you do nothing...whoops! Also option select setups are pretty telegraphed, you can usually know which one your opponent is going for, especially if you are aware of your wakeup patterns.

Switching from bison to deejay when SSF4 dropped made me realize this in the worst way, as people have no fear in bullying that char and you can't do a damn thing about it. Option select safejump or low meaty into special: gg.

Same thing happened when I went from Bison to Cody in Super but to a lesser degree.

Based DemoniK

Neo Member
Won 10-3. Technically the 10th game didn't get played because he DC'd before it started, but I won't pretend that it would've gone any differently if he didn't.

So my previous theory was right.

Imm0rt4l

Won 10-3. Technically the 10th game didn't get played because he DC'd before it started, but I won't pretend that it would've gone any differently if he didn't.

So my previous theory was right.
I didnt dc the game froze. I can still run it back and your theory is still bs since you play Seth. How does a match go your way because it doesn't get played lol.

Based DemoniK

Neo Member
I didnt dc the game froze. I can still run it back and your theory is still bs since you play Seth. How does a match go your way because it doesn't get played lol.

You didn't even make a single attempt to adapt to anything when we played. The only thing I can think of is my post-legs mixup when I would teleport, the first like 5 times I did it you held up, but then there was one time where you actually tried to block.

Me playing a different character wouldn't make you any better or me any worse.

Imm0rt4l

You didn't even make a single attempt to adapt to anything when we played. The only thing I can think of is my post-legs mixup when I would teleport, the first like 5 times I did it you held up, but then there was one time where you actually tried to block.

Me playing a different character wouldn't make you any better or me any worse.
But having some of your toys taken away will make you worse. Adapt to what? Its a guessing game. Your implication is you'd still maul without Seth is cute.

Great the game froze again.

Based DemoniK

Neo Member
But having some of your toys taken away will make you worse. Adapt to what? Its a guessing game. Your implication is you'd still maul without Seth is cute.

Great the game froze again.

Did you ever stop and think that maybe making the same guess over and over when it wasn't working was a stupid idea? No?

And if they nerf Seth into the ground, I have other characters I know how to play, Seth is just the one I enjoy the most.

Anytime you want to join so you can accept the 10-3 loss.

Imm0rt4l

Did you ever stop and think that maybe making the same guess over and over when it wasn't working was a stupid idea? No?

And if they nerf Seth into the ground, I have other characters I know how to play, Seth is just the one I enjoy the most.
I didn't guess the same way every time what are you talking about. Backdash and eat divekick cuz goukens backdash is like 35 frames. Block too long and get command thrown. Rinse repeat.

Based DemoniK

Neo Member
I didn't guess the same way every time what are you talking about. Backdash and eat divekick cuz goukens backdash is like 35 frames. Block too long and get command thrown. Rinse repeat.

So you refuse to actually attempt and learn how to fight Seth and instead whine and complain. How does this not show that you're a bad player?

Imm0rt4l

So you refuse to actually attempt and learn how to fight Seth and instead whine and complain. How does this not show that you're a bad player?
Who said I'm not willing to learn. I played you didn't I? And like I said, theres a lot of guessing involved, I don't have reversals or any 3 frame moves not contingent on yomi which is why I dropped the char in the first place.

Well umm....since they're nerfing Seth's DP, he won't get the DP mix ups anymore after stomps. One of the reasons people fear him after a a stomp reset is that they can't beat his DP with their own in addition to not being sure which side he's on and the SPD. If they guess right at least now they can trade or beat his DP clean. I guess that's Capcom's way of making these guessing games less in his favor.

Imm0rt4l

Well umm....since they're nerfing Seth's DP, he won't get the DP mix ups anymore after stomps. One of the reasons people fear him after a a stomp reset is that they can't beat his DP with their own in addition to not being sure which side he's on and the SPD. If they guess right at least now they can trade or beat his DP clean. I guess that's Capcom's way of making these guessing games less in his favor.
Quoted for posterity.

Based DemoniK

Neo Member
Who said I'm not willing to learn. I played you didn't I? And like I said, theres a lot of guessing involved, I don't have reversals or any 3 frame moves not contingent on yomi which is why I dropped the char in the first place.

Rationalizing losses instead of attempting at an understanding of what actually led to the situations that you're complaining about. This is extremely common with low-mid level players when losing to Seth and isn't trying to learn, it's just trying to cope with losing. I won't lie and say that's not a difficult matchup for Gouken, but when you're not even attempting to play it right the matchup doesn't even matter.

You also didn't play me with the intent of learning how to fight Seth, you played me to defend against the accusation of being a low level player who's opinion doesn't matter. Don't pretend otherwise.

Imm0rt4l

Rationalizing losses instead of attempting at an understanding of what actually led to the situations that you're complaining about. This is extremely common with low-mid level players when losing to Seth and isn't trying to learn, it's just trying to cope with losing. I won't lie and say that's not a difficult matchup for Gouken, but when you're not even attempting to play it right the matchup doesn't even matter.
You're in no position to tell me I didn't try to play anything right. You just said you don't think it's easy and yet at the same time say 'lol learn the matchup' without giving any answers, you can't have your cake and eat it to. I take no issues losing. I can play long sets no problem. Maybe your thinking so lowly of others is a byproduct of your characters bullshit which capcom wants to lessen. Your character takes no issue in carrying one to the corner but when you are in the corner you can just jump out with impunity. Ryu hasn't even been able to roflcopter out the corner since vanilla. I can take an L, losing streaks even.

And you're damn right I tried to defend my skill as a player. Is that supposes to be a bad thing? Are the two mutually exclusive? Is my failing a coin toss the authority on my skill as a player? Lol

Based DemoniK

Neo Member
You're in no position to tell me I didn't try to play anything right. You just said you don't think it's easy and yet at the same time say 'lol learn the matchup' without giving any answers, you can't have your cake and eat it to. I take no issues losing. I can play long sets no problem. Maybe your thinking so lowly of others is a byproduct of your characters bullshit which capcom wants to lessen. Your character takes no issue in carrying one to the corner but when you are in the corner you can just jump out with impunity. Ryu hasn't even been able to roflcopter out the corner since vanilla. I can take an L, losing streaks even.

It wasn't an issue of you taking an L or not. I couldn't care less how you accept the loss, the issue is that you don't make an effort to understand why you lost, didn't think to ask me (even if I come across as hostile) why you lost, or what to do differently. Every matchup against Seth, in his favor or not, is difficult if you let him get his game going, my point was that you weren't playing in a way to prevent me from getting to play my game. I could have played any other character I know how to use and it likely would've ended the same way as you don't adapt to anything, don't have a solid neutral game (the basis for fighting Seth successfully) and don't have the mindset to change these problems.

Imm0rt4l

It wasn't an issue of you taking an L or not. I couldn't care less how you accept the loss, the issue is that you don't make an effort to understand why you lost, didn't think to ask me (even if I come across as hostile) why you lost, or what to do differently. Every matchup against Seth, in his favor or not, is difficult if you let him get his game going, my point was that you weren't playing in a way to prevent me from getting to play my game. I could have played any other character I know how to use and it likely would've ended the same way as you don't adapt to anything, don't have a solid neutral game (the basis for fighting Seth successfully) and don't have the mindset to change these problems.
You can say that over and over again, that doesn't make it true. I keep telling you that I'm down for a long set, that should have some bearing on my willingness to learn.

Based DemoniK

Neo Member
You can say that over and over again, that doesn't make it true. I keep telling you that I'm down for a long set, that should have some bearing on my willingness to learn.

Then lets play a long set. I'll even try to explain to you what to do differently, it's up to you to take the advice or not.

Based DemoniK

Neo Member
Joined and the game froze on vs screen again. Going to delete game data.

Are you going to be on tonight?

Edit: joining 1 more time

A buddy of mine is back in town from Japan so I'm probably going to hang out with him and some other people, so we can play later this afternoon or tomorrow at some point.

I'm not intentionally hostile, these nerfs just really frustrated me, so I apologize for that.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm not intentionally hostile, these nerfs just really frustrated me, so I apologize for that.

We're all passionate about our characters and the game, so it's good to hear that you're trying to clarify your position about that and attempting to mitigate any misunderstandings.

Imm0rt4l

No problem, admittedly I have a very silky Johnson approach to some characters nerfs in that I can come across as overzealous. I'm not a pro and this isn't my livelihood but I do take the game seriously and have no issues 'putting up' when confronted. Though to your credit, questioning ones skill is understandable, and some peoples opinions simply shouldn't matter(I've done it but only on occasion that someone says something false or really stupid).

Imm0rt4l

You muhfuckas ain't taking my hater of the year award. Fuck ex headbutt. I don't remember who sloth plays, but fuck his character too.

*sprays gheri curl juice

*fistpumps
Hate hate hate hate hate

Threi

notag
Lol i think i win biggest hater pretty free. Although I will admit my hate is more towards the fans than the game so i play it up a bit.

Threi

notag
Street fighter fans seem pretty mild in comparison to other games.
Yes.

And by "street fighter fans" i mean "people who show up out of nowhere whenever a patch gets announced demanding makoto buffs because she is a kawaii waifu"

notworksafe

Yes.

And by "street fighter fans" i mean "people who show up out of nowhere whenever a patch gets announced demanding makoto buffs because she is a kawaii waifu"

Proving why you deserve that hater award with every post.

Not that you're wrong.

Toxi

Banned
I pulled out my copy of Super Street Fighter 4 when my friend came over from Iowa and I sorta want to learn it better than I did before. I've never really played Street Fighter games that hard, and I didn't ever get beyond FADC stuff in training mode. I tried multiple characters and settled on Makoto because I like the up-close-and-personal style and how you can mix up offense with choke holds and knockdown overheads. Also, no charge moves for me to foul up. I still need to buy AE for the balance updates and new characters, but I'll do it tomorrow.

I'll definitely be grabbing Ultra when it comes out; I forgot how much fun these games were.

EDIT: I was having trouble with standing heavy into H Hayate a half hour ago, and now I'm scoring them consistently off Kurakusas. I'm already having fun in training mode. :-D

Many of these supposed nerfs seemed to be aimed at making him less annoying and not as strong in 50/50 guessing games. I don't mind them as long as they buff him in other areas to help him play more solid. I suggested damage and walk speed buff. I have some other things in mind to. But what do you think he should get in return for these nerfs if they are true?

Ohnonono

Just picked up AE on PC and played about 40 quick match ranked games last night. I won 2! I used Viper and Fei Long mostly and so far I am doing a good job not getting frustrated. Does anyone know of any good tutorials for those characters that may help out a buffoon like me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom