• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devined

The pelvis, of course. Wicked hitbox too.

EDIT: Found the hitbox pic:

DBoOUFW.png

Is that for real...

Anyone want to play on PSN tonight around 9 EST? Maybe even get a lobby going?

I wish. Raising the new puppy.

I messaged you on Monday for some matches but I didn't get a response. A shame, I was "working" from home that day and got a couple of sf and marvel sessions.

Marz

I wish. Raising the new puppy.

I messaged you on Monday for some matches but I didn't get a response. A shame, I was "working" from home that day and got a couple of sf and marvel sessions.

Yea my bad, I leave my PS3 on a lot when I leave the house or something gotta stop doing that.

xCobalt

Anyone familiar with the cody matchup? Is there a move that can beat wakeup ex bingo? I'm trying all these option selects with Gouken and none of them are working. EX bingo beats ultra, ex tatsu, and jumping back. Neutral jumps seem to have too many frames and Cody can recover in time. Blocking is a good option but I prefer not to give Cody the chance to FADC it and possibly start his offense.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Invincibility runs out before it becomes active so you can probably option select it with something weird. Example with Makoto: after ex oroshi, forward dash, f.lp, neutral jump, OS U1 beats that and everything else he can do except wakeup ex tornado punch thing I think. I'm sure Gouken has something similar if you mess with the neutral jump timing. Makoto's standard 4f safejump after ex oroshi is usually forward dash st.lp, but for that you use f.lp to delay the neutral jump so the OS will work.

Anyone familiar with the cody matchup? Is there a move that can beat wakeup ex bingo? I'm trying all these option selects with Gouken and none of them are working. EX bingo beats ultra, ex tatsu, and jumping back. Neutral jumps seem to have too many frames and Cody can recover in time. Blocking is a good option but I prefer not to give Cody the chance to FADC it and possibly start his offense.

Gouken has a number of set ups with demon flip dive kicks that will beat DP's or make them whiff. I'm sure they would make EX bingo whiff as well and just punish with sweep and it gives you the same set up again I think. If you're not in the right position and are not sure then you'll just have to bait if they have meter and you really think they're going to do it.

Invincibility runs out before it becomes active so you can probably option select it with something weird.

Zonk has a ton of invincibility from start up. I've never seen it beaten, I just see it pass through other moves with invincibility.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Why don't you go test the option select I mentioned, doubting thomas.

edit: well it doesn't run out of invincibility before it becomes active, but it does become vulnerable on the same frame it becomes active, so with an option select like the above, you'll still be invincible when it becomes active+vulnerable.

xCobalt

Invincibility runs out before it becomes active so you can probably option select it with something weird. Example with Makoto: after ex oroshi, forward dash, f.lp, neutral jump, OS U1 beats that and everything else he can do except wakeup ex tornado punch thing I think. I'm sure Gouken has something similar if you mess with the neutral jump timing. Makoto's standard 4f safejump after ex oroshi is usually forward dash st.lp, but for that you use f.lp to delay the neutral jump so the OS will work.

OS Neutral jump is a bit late. Cody recovers before Gouken is grounded. I can punish if I just bait it with a preemptive neutral jump but that'll lose to a lot of options.

Gouken has a number of set ups with demon flip dive kicks that will beat DP's or make them whiff. I'm sure they would make EX bingo whiff as well and just punish with sweep and it gives you the same set up again I think. If you're not in the right position and are not sure then you'll just have to bait if they have meter and you really think they're going to do it.

Dive kick setups to make moves whiff aren't that reliable in my experience. They're generally not safe jumps or are very obvious.

Dive kick setups to make moves whiff aren't that reliable in my experience. They're generally not safe jumps or are very obvious.

I don't mean whiffing the dive kick on purpose if that's what you think I meant. I mean dive kicks where Gouken is directly over the head of his opponent. These set ups will either beat invincible reversals clean or make them whiff. My friend is a Gouken player and uses it against my Evil Ryu all the time. My only way to escape block stun is to predict it and dash under. But he will mix it up with dive kicks that keep him more in front of me so that I can't rely on the same thing to get me out.

I've seen him use it against some Cody players. They're in the same position as me, trying to reversal just puts them in the same position again and trying to predict whether he's over your head, in front of you, or using a safe jump dive kick can get you blown up pretty hard since Gouken does so much damage.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Damn some fine competition on PC Ranked in the evenings. Yesterday it caught me off guard and got beat around a bit but today I worked that rust off and have been battling nonstop with the PC top tier. Having fun....

Also. Fuck Seth.

xCobalt

I don't mean whiffing the dive kick on purpose if that's what you think I meant. I mean dive kicks where Gouken is directly over the head of his opponent. These set ups will either beat invincible reversals clean or make them whiff. My friend is a Gouken player and uses it against my Evil Ryu all the time. My only way to escape block stun is to predict it and dash under. But he will mix it up with dive kicks that keep him more in front of me so that I can't rely on the same thing to get me out.

I've seen him use it against some Cody players. They're in the same position as me, trying to reversal just puts them in the same position again and trying to predict whether he's over your head, in front of you, or using a safe jump dive kick can get you blown up pretty hard since Gouken does so much damage.

I know you what you meant. Would you happen to know the exact setup by any chance? Most of the time, those setups can be beaten by auto correct dps. If you have time to dash under it, it's definitely not safe.

EX Bingo has a lot of invincibility frames so it can be pretty difficult to beat or trade with. If you do get it to whiff, the most you'll probably get is a sweep.

Not talking about OS neutral jump.

Not sure what you mean. Any chance there's a video?

I know you what you meant. Would you happen to know the exact setup by any chance? Most of the time, those setups can be beaten by auto correct dps. If you have time to dash under it, it's definitely not safe.

EX Bingo has a lot of invincibility frames so it can be pretty difficult to beat or trade with. If you do get it to whiff, the most you'll probably get is a sweep.

With the right set up and timing Gouken can use his demon flip dive kick to safely pressure most characters on wake up. It's not a safe jump, just impossible or extremely difficult to DP. That's why you don't see anybody trying to DP Akuma's demon flip dive kick(or Cammy's DK) in high level play. They'll get blown up for it, and Gouken can do the same thing

The only anti air that may work is something like Gouken's counter, Cammy's U2 or Guy's EX tatsu since they cover their characters entire surrounding and not just their front side. As for EX bingo, I'm pretty sure Cody will whiff and you can recover first to punish with sweep or something.

But if you're going to continue playing Gouken, you should learn these set ups. This way you can pressure Shoto's and DP characters without having to worry about wake up DP's.

rice....give me a time EST!

also, anyone got any tips linking blanka's standing mk into standing lp? i try to time it for the second his 2nd leg hits.

xCobalt

Gouken can use his demon flip dive kick the same way as Cammy's dive kicks or Akuma's demon flip dive kick. Their not safe jumps, just impossible or extremely difficult to DP. That's why you don't see anybody trying to DP Akuma's demon flip dive kick in high level play. They'll get blown up for it, and Gouken can do the same thing

The only anti air that may work is something like Gouken's counter, Cammy's U2 or Guy's EX tatsu since they cover their characters entire surrounding and not just their front side. As for EX bingo, I'm pretty sure Cody will whiff and you can recover first to punish with sweep or something.

But if you're going to continue playing Gouken, you should learn these set ups. This way you can pressure Shoto's and DP characters without having to worry about wake up DP's.

Gouken's dive kick doesn't even compare to Cammy's or Akuma's. People don't dp Akuma's demon flip in high level play isn't because of his dive kick. It's because he has other options and they are much more ambiguous than Gouken's.

I know some anti dp setups but like I said earlier, they're not safe at all and can be rather obvious. Some setups are just baits and the actual dive kick doesn't even hit at all. Let me know if you ever find the exact setup your friend uses. An ambiguous dive kick that can't be anti aired without counter seems too good to be true.

Gouken's dive kick doesn't even compare to Cammy's or Akuma's. People don't dp Akuma's demon flip in high level play isn't because of his dive kick. It's because he has other options and they are much more ambiguous than Gouken's.

I know some anti dp setups but like I said earlier, they're not safe at all and can be rather obvious. Some setups are just baits and the actual dive kick doesn't even hit at all. Let me know if you ever find the exact setup your friend uses. An ambiguous dive kick that can't be anti aired without counter seems too good to be true.

If they're not safe then what are you getting punished by? The point of them is to pressure safely, not create tricky 50/50's.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I hope they turn down the reversal window, give everybody more health and one extra bar would be nice for some fadc stuff.

Edgeward

I feel really dense here but I'm having problems with just doing a straight cr mp to flash kick off a jump in. I cant ever seem to get enough charge. The only other option is to learn the 1 frame link to get charge. BibleThump

Devined

I feel really dense here but I'm having problems with just doing a straight cr mp to flash kick off a jump in. I cant ever seem to get enough charge. The only other option is to learn the 1 frame link to get charge. BibleThump

I never understand how people can move forward, start a 3 link combo, and have charge by the end of it for a move.

cHaotix8

If Gouken can't OS an ultra off of any of his weak attacks, he's not going to be able to beat EX Bingo. Just do a meaty low or jab and punish it on block if he does a reversal, or bait it by neutral jumping.

gutabo

Deep fierce jump in, late c.MP, flash kick. And the one frame link is not that bad if you plink it.

xCobalt

If Gouken can't OS an ultra off of any of his weak attacks, he's not going to be able to beat EX Bingo. Just do a meaty low or jab and punish it on block if he does a reversal, or bait it by neutral jumping.

Not sure what I was doing wrong before but OS ultra does work with Gouken.

Ohnonono

I played around with Hakkan last night and had a great time! I am not usually a grapple player but think this will be my first. Does anyone on here have a list of maybe some of his important normals? AA/ safe pokes and such? Also having lots of trouble doing the double 360 ultra. I usually use the ultra 2 anyway to punish jump ins but any tips would be nice.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I don't like onions and BBQ sauce and a cheesesteak does not mix.

The best cheesesteak here are Jim's or Roma's, not Genos or Pats actually. They are mid-tier at best when it comes to it.

xCobalt

I don't like onions and BBQ sauce and a cheesesteak does not mix.

The best cheesesteak here are Jim's or Roma's, not Genos or Pats actually. They are mid-tier at best when it comes to it.

They mix way better than ketchup!

Those names don't really mean anything to me. I'm guessing they're all ma and pa shops in your area?

You gonna have to job to him lol.
It's funny, I talked to my direct supervisor and he laughed about it. He also suggested that I should just body him. When I asked if I should give him a game to placate his ego, my supervisor countered with "well, why not just do 2/3, and dick around in the first game to see if you should turn it up?"

Not a bad idea tbh

Westlo

It's funny, I talked to my direct supervisor and he laughed about it. He also suggested that I should just body him. When I asked if I should give him a game to placate his ego, my supervisor countered with "well, why not just do 2/3, and dick around in the first game to see if you should turn it up?"

Not a bad idea tbh

Look out, he's going to hustle you lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom