• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeEarth

Whoa, I just had one of those epic comebacks. I played a Sagat player named Warahk86, I don't know if this is the same Warahk that played Guile during the Super days but it might be.

Anyways it was the last round and I was getting beat down pretty bad. He just knocked me into the corner and all I had left was the magic pixel. I was pretty desperate and just mashed teleport even though I was already cornered. It turned out that was exactly what I needed because he did kara tiger uppercut and I recovered in time to punish him. I made 3 correct guesses and dizzied him and finished with Ultra.

Dat gawtlike feel that I'm experiencing right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txWWi2n76FI

Kunai pressure kills me, with my main anyways. I'm so lost when it comes to that match up. I really wanted to win with Evil Ryu but I couldn't. The matches were laggy so I couldn't react to certain things like those neckbreakers or hit by Axe kick combos. But it didn't change the fact that I just couldn't handle certain things well or finally succumb to all the different vortex set ups. Fireball were practically useless as you can just keep sliding under them on reactions. The only way I can see myself beating your Ibuki is to return the pressure and I can't force my way in with Evil Ryu the same way I can with Yun or Seth.

Wouldn't Evil Ryu have an easier time dealing with Ibukis vortex due to teleport? with my Ryu/Ken I just have to guess right each time and find a hole when she starts her block string.

if i don't guess right, might as well wait for the next round lol..

Wouldn't Evil Ryu have an easier time dealing with Ibukis vortex due to teleport? with my Ryu/Ken I just have to guess right each time and find a hole when she starts her block string.

if i don't guess right, might as well wait for the next round lol..

It's a pretty bad teleport for escaping pressure since practically everybody can just react to which way your going and punish. I try using it sparingly because abusing it will only get me blown up.

I don't know if lag had anything to do with it but I found myself getting hit during block strings because I was either mashing teleport or SRK and got nothing. This only fueled my rage lol. Still I want to keep working on that match up. It feels even more infuriating then his other bad match ups like Akuma, Adon, or Rose.

It's a pretty bad teleport for escaping pressure since practically everybody can just react to which way your going and punish. I try using it sparingly because abusing it will only get me blown up.

I don't know if lag had anything to do with it but I found myself getting hit during block strings because I was either mashing teleport or SRK and got nothing. This only fueled my rage lol. Still I want to keep working on that match up. It feels even more infuriating then his other bad match ups like Akuma, Adon, or Rose.

true, i hate how E.Ryu gets a slow motion teleport compare to Akuma lol.

Kunai pressure kills me, with my main anyways. I'm so lost when it comes to that match up. I really wanted to win with Evil Ryu but I couldn't. The matches were laggy so I couldn't react to certain things like those neckbreakers or hit by Axe kick combos. But it didn't change the fact that I just couldn't handle certain things well or finally succumb to all the different vortex set ups. Fireball were practically useless as you can just keep sliding under them on reactions. The only way I can see myself beating your Ibuki is to return the pressure and I can't force my way in with Evil Ryu the same way I can with Yun or Seth.

Time to upload and brag about beating a somewhat well known player lol

Yeah you were pretty much deer in the headlights so I got in most of the time against Evil Ryu. You should probably teleport more to get out of bad situations. The lag was definitely something :l but not much to do since it's a west-east connection.

rice-eater pls

stop losing to passass

I can do that, I just have to stop playing my main.

It's kind of funny how a character which I've worked so hard to develop and find technology and set ups for keeps getting bopped. Then I go to Yun, a character I play for fun and can't even do simple Genei-jin combos with and I return the favor to passass. Going by the last two times we've played I think he's beaten me something like 15-2 in our last ERyu vs Ibuki match but then I've won something like 10-0 in the Yun vs Ibuki match.

jlai

I can do that, I just have to stop playing my main.

It's kind of funny how a character which I've worked so hard to develop and find technology and set ups for keeps getting bopped. Then I go to Yun, a character I play for fun and can't even do simple Genei-jin combos with and I return the favor to passass. Going by the last two times we've played I think he's beaten me something like 15-2 in our last ERyu vs Ibuki match but then I've won something like 10-0 in the Yun vs Ibuki match.

Well I think its partly because Yun is a stronger character than E Ryu. I feel the same way about Mak sometimes. I have the most knowledge with her then by far any other char I use, but playing Sak and hell even Ryu sometimes I have an easier time winning.

Imm0rt4l

Hypernima, I don't think you used bad spray once. While I can get around it, it's a good deterrent from me getting my game going. I don't really know cody all that well, and I don't think tostito posts here much anymore. Maybe Cha0tix can give you tips, I think he knows the character, I might be mistaken.

hypernima

Banned
Hypernima, I don't think you used bad spray once. While I can get around it, it's a good deterrent from me getting my game going. I don't really know cody all that well, and I don't think tostito posts here much anymore. Maybe Cha0tix can give you tips, I think he knows the character, I might be mistaken.

It never comes out when I hold it so I tend not to use it. Zonk doesn't come out 70% of the time, I could hold it for 10 seconds and nothing. I dunno why.

I just need to figure out what is safe and what I can punish Gouken with on whiffs and block. I just plain lost on those Ryu/Dudley matches play enough of those already.

cHaotix8

ggs chaotix. I'm sad that I missed the U2 punish in the second to last round :[

GG's dude. haha, yeah man, that last match was a heart breaker. As soon as I dropped that combo I started praying that you would mess up the punish. I guess Ibuki has some really nasty stuff on Ryu. I had a really difficult time blocking kunai and jump shorts. There were a couple of times were I just tried to DP and I got exposed for it.

I know some Cody stuff if anyone needs help. I'm no super expert though, I just dabble with him on the side.

GG's dude. haha, yeah man, that last match was a heart breaker. As soon as I dropped that combo I started praying that you would mess up the punish. I guess Ibuki has some really nasty stuff on Ryu. I had a really difficult time blocking kunai and jump shorts. There were a couple of times were I just tried to DP and I got exposed for it.

I know some Cody stuff if anyone needs help. I'm no super expert though, I just dabble with him on the side.

haha yea. The whiffed f.short into j.shorts is a unblockable. I got caught cteching too much :l

Trickster

This game is hella adicting once you actually start playing with people. Whenever I start playing I have a really hard time stopping again, even though I suck and keep getting bopped by B rankers.

Gotta level up and show those guys who's boss!

Anyone got any tips for playing Ken?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
ken-flow-chart.jpg

xCobalt

Yep, that's me.

I feel like a douchebag every single time I use SHORYUKEN!

It's the opponent's fault they're getting hit by it lol. I always eat a dp if I try to continue my blockstring after a blocked jump in.

Try to learn how to do karathrows if you haven't yet. It's a very useful technique.

Yep, that's me.

I feel like a douchebag every single time I use SHORYUKEN!

Fuck it man. Do what you gotta do. I remember learning a lot when I started using Ken. Your already picking up the basics without even realising it.

When you get comfortable try using other characters. Its a pain finding a character that suits you but stick with it. It felt to me like I was starting all over again everytime I tried a new character but you'll find someone who clicks with you in no time!

Failing that stick to the flowchart lol

Clawww

Anyone up for some AE PC right now? I'm on the East Coast...hopefully we can get a decent connection (for some reason it's always pretty hit or miss for me).

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Swapped my sanwa stick out for a spare one I had lying around and it works. I think it's the stick that came in the Madcatz SE? God this stick sucks so much, but at least I can block and reliably get a back charge.

You seem to be doing just fine in the shoto vs Ibuki match up. Got any tips for me?

Hmm he pretty much kept the midrange and punished everything. So it was blockstring and then karathrow into crossups and blam.

This is how I am able to handle Passive Ibuki...doesn't mean it work with other ibuki.

My Ryu vs Pass Ibuki.
Being a vet SF player, my anti-air and tech-throw is very solid, so right away he cannot jump at me or throw me. That right away takes away 2 options for him.
-neutral jump MK/HK works really well controlling air space against Ibuki
-Passive doesn't really react to fireball much, so I keep the the far and mid range fireball going and see how he react. I'm at a range that if he slides, I can just block.
-Once Ibuki gets in, Passive like to do block string into over head. That is the hole you are looking for, either react with a DP or keep blocking till he is to far to continue his block string then go for the knock down.
-Always try to safe jump, Passive loves doing the EX kick DP thingy on awake up, thats basically his GTFO out move but easy to read, just safe jump, or walk towards the right distance and let him whiff it then combo...repeat.
-with the vortex, I pay attention on blocking the knife, once you block the knife, you are good.
-Ryu does tons of damage to ibuki, and his hard knock down combo/safe jumps it annoying to Passive.

My Ken vs Pass Ibuki
I think its a harder match up, but I got 00BP so right away I got the mental advantage LOL.
High BP player hate losing to 00BP =p
-I rush down with forward-MK, don't really care what ibuki do just as long I don't get knocked down.
-be careful when she does the slide, if you block and then hit a button, she can frame trap with jab and continue the combo.
-rush down and when in distance and you know he doesn't have EX meter, bust out the shenanigan with kara throw and cross up. Passive is a sitting duck with Kens ambiguous cross ups. Was able to perfect him a few times just doing that. WOOT! KEN VORTEX!
-Passive tend to jump in without knife, so DP that or neutral jump MK...dash in then block string to kara throw. cross up. combo....she dead.

thats all I remember so far.....Passive can you chime in? am I reading you right?

This is how I am able to handle Passive Ibuki...doesn't mean it work with other ibuki.

My Ryu vs Pass Ibuki.
Being a vet SF player, my anti-air and tech-throw is very solid, so right away he cannot jump at me or throw me. That right away takes away 2 options for him.
-neutral jump MK/HK works really well controlling air space against Ibuki
-Passive doesn't really react to fireball much, so I keep the the far and mid range fireball going and see how he react. I'm at a range that if he slides, I can just block.
-Once Ibuki gets in, Passive like to do block string into over head. That is the hole you are looking for, either react with a DP or keep blocking till he is to far to continue his block string then go for the knock down.
-Always try to safe jump, Passive loves doing the EX kick DP thingy on awake up, thats basically his GTFO out move but easy to read, just safe jump, or walk towards the right distance and let him whiff it then combo...repeat.
-with the vortex, I pay attention on blocking the knife, once you block the knife, you are good.
-Ryu does tons of damage to ibuki, and his hard knock down combo/safe jumps it annoying to Passive.

My Ken vs Pass Ibuki
I think its a harder match up, but I got 00BP so right away I got the mental advantage LOL.
High BP player hate losing to 00BP =p
-I rush down with forward-MK, don't really care what ibuki do just as long I don't get knocked down.
-be careful when she does the slide, if you block and then hit a button, she can frame trap with jab and continue the combo.
-rush down and when in distance and you know he doesn't have EX meter, bust out the shenanigan with kara throw and cross up. Passive is a sitting duck with Kens ambiguous cross ups. Was able to perfect him a few times just doing that. WOOT! KEN VORTEX!
-Passive tend to jump in without knife, so DP that or neutral jump MK...dash in then block string to kara throw. cross up. combo....she dead.

thats all I remember so far.....Passive can you chime in? am I reading you right?

shh delete this! The flowchart can't be revealed! But yeah, pretty much terrible reactions and unable to adapt bodies me :[

AutumnAve

Watch Ave play.

GAH! My deficiencies have been very well disseminated by this point in my storied career. But, I do try really hard, to my credit, :)

shinshoryuken, lets play a little more regularly? Upping the level of competition can olny increase the quality of play.

I think.

GAH! My deficiencies have been very well disseminated by this point in my storied career. But, I do try really hard, to my credit, :)

shinshoryuken, lets play a little more regularly? Upping the level of competition can olny increase the quality of play.

I think.

Yeah we should.
Your meassage yesterday was dishearting, I wasn't trying to "style" on you, I was hoping for you to see how I play and implement it to your play style. Also to see the difference between Ryu and kens playstyle. But you did actually get better from the last time we played.

I'm actually still trying to learn Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom