• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

cHaotix8

I just checked the frame data and if done at max distance, Hakan is +4 on block. I'm not familiar with Hakan but I imagine if he's closer than midscreen, its punishable. If he's further out, I think he would be at the advantage. Test it out in training mode though, see what ranges you can punish him.

The move is weird. It travels different distances depending on oil. If he has ultra 1 and spaces it right/does it meaty, then you're in a pretty bad situation. I only attempt to punish it if I know he's unsafe. It's difficult to gauge these instances without extensive matchup experience though. A good rule of thumb though is if he does it close/point blank and it's not meaty, go for the punish. You have to be spot on with your punish though. Go for a combo instead of a throw.

MIMIC

Banned
Can I really not punish a hakan after he does his shitty ground slide attack? Every time I tried to throw him after low blocking it, he was able to tech my throw

Just focus attack it.

really =p

But like someone mentioned, if they spaced it right, then he's gonna tech the throw or command grab you. Always watch out for when you're blocking the slide near the end of the move. That means that the move is almost over and he can tech/command grab. If you're blocking it nearer to the beginning of the move (meaning that he still has some sliding to do), then you can properly punish it.

EDIT: And speaking of Hakan, is he the only character that can combo after only doing a level 1 focus attack?

Imm0rt4l

tfw when called a faggot cuz you just so happen to leave when you take an L in a very close match (I had a friend invite). I was accosted with a bunch of trash from this guy saying he figured me out and all this jazz, I didn't think shit was that serious, just a friendly matches. But I'm glad to have rustled some jimmies :) . I <3 rage mail.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Same thing happened to me the other day except I didn't even lose. Dude was like "You scared because I have you downloaded?" Petrified, dude I just beat like 50 games in a row.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I've been watching lots of match footage lately and want to know something... how do players react to punishing focus attacks so consistently?

Is it just simply buffering the move and reacting to it? In the case of Evil Ryu, most of the time I'm trying to hit confirm MK > Fireball so I can FADC and combo/punish. How does someone like Sako know when to buffer in MK > DP or MK > Tatsu? Or Tokido cancelling his sweeps into demon. Is it just all reactions?

MK into fireball isn't really a hit confirm. More like an option select. You just so the MK > fireball motion regardless. If it hits or gets blocked, fireball comes out. If you whiff, nothing happens.

When you sweep with Akuma, if you're good enough, you're already doing the first few inputs of the demon every time, and so then you can complete the demon on reaction if you see the focus.

cHaotix8

? I was able to low block it many times

What I meant was that you can't focus attack the slide since it breaks armor.

My most recent batch of hatemail was: "I swear you if I were not playing on KB the end will be very different..."

And my favorite when playing Ryu in ranked: "way to mash DP bro"

No shame in my game.

xCobalt

Man it is absolutely bullshit that gouken is at the mercy of everyone up close. Complete bullshit.

It can definitely be tough once gouken is knocked down but what are you having the most trouble with exactly? Most gouken players definitely need to block more often. They always resort to either ex demon flip, tatsu or counter.

Imm0rt4l

Man it is absolutely bullshit that gouken is at the mercy of everyone up close. Complete bullshit.

Yea, it's either block and tech properly while being weary of counterhit setups or pick another character. He doesn't convert damage well, but he punishes hard as fuck. He may not have a 3 frame dp, but he's got a 1 frame counter which is predicated on yomi of course. He's kinda poorly designed to be honest, tweak him a little too much and he could be op. Not very good at answering wakeup shenanigans/vortex either. block and tech os tech all day.

What I meant was that you can't focus attack the slide since it breaks armor.

My most recent batch of hatemail was: "I swear you if I were not playing on KB the end will be very different..."

And my favorite when playing Ryu in ranked: "way to mash DP bro"

No shame in my game.

I hate hate mail complain about mashing...
I don't get why when you play a shoto and win/lose, it mean you smash DP.

Other characters are as guilty...sagat, cammy, fei, ibuki, seth, etc... Plus all the butter churner of the grapler....

"i'm not psychic, i'm just observant"

kind of a combination of recognizing patterns in play/predictive buffering/reads

OK thanks, guess I'll just keep practicing.

MK into fireball isn't really a hit confirm. More like an option select. You just so the MK > fireball motion regardless. If it hits or gets blocked, fireball comes out. If you whiff, nothing happens.

When you sweep with Akuma, if you're good enough, you're already doing the first few inputs of the demon every time, and so then you can complete the demon on reaction if you see the focus.

Sorry, I meant making sure the MK > fireball hits so I can FADC into a full combo, not just the simple MK > fireball.

I used to think it was impossible, especially Daigo with his MK > ex fireball > FADC Ultra. But now I can react to it properly about 90% of the time, so I guess it just takes practice.

Marz

I hate hate mail complain about mashing...
I don't get why when you play a shoto and win/lose, it mean you smash DP.

Other characters are as guilty...sagat, cammy, fei, ibuki, seth, etc... Plus all the butter churner of the grapler....

Uhhh Sagat is a shoto bruh...

Kind of funny to hear this when Gouken is one of those "I refuse to block on wake up" characters from my experience. It starts off with neutral jump fierce, but when you start to meaty them they'll go to EX counter to take care of highs and lows. When you start throwing them they go to EX demon flip. If you're not a dumbass like me and can consistently punish that then they'll just coin flip you everytime because anything is better than blocking.

Not saying his wake up is good, but like Rose players, Gouken players won't be caught dead blocking when they're knockdown down regardless of how good their wake up options are.

:C

my execution is ass! I think i found my issue.

WHen i use a stick, i find myself always holding some sort of direction. I have to watch others' hands, and noticed some let the stick naturally "flick" back to neutral position...

Veal

It can definitely be tough once gouken is knocked down but what are you having the most trouble with exactly? Most gouken players definitely need to block more often. They always resort to either ex demon flip, tatsu or counter.

Kind of funny to hear this when Gouken is one of those "I refuse to block on wake up" characters from my experience. It starts off with neutral jump fierce, but when you start to meaty them they'll go to EX counter to take care of highs and lows. When you start throwing them they go to EX demon flip. If you're not a dumbass like me and can consistently punish that then they'll just coin flip you everytime because anything is better than blocking.

Not saying his wake up is good, but like Rose players, Gouken players won't be caught dead blocking when they're knockdown down regardless of how good their wake up options are.
I have a big problem with defense. More specifically dealing with high/low mix up and throw mixups. Lets say the opponent successfully jumped in and I didn't AA the attack but blocked it instead. Most of the time it's either mash low or throw. If I block low, they can usually keep mashing low until they inevitably get a counter hit (in part of gouken's really slow normals upclose). If they go for throw, they usually get it (in part of gouken's really slow normals making his throw tech harder to do.) I know you can add MK to turn his 5 frame tech into a 4 frame, but that still doesn't help against most of the cast and their 3 frame lows. Add in some lag and you have a fine recipe for bullshit stew.

i thought you guys said this jlai guy was good.

my Guile put him in his place!

let's stop the discussion here, nothing else needs to be said...please...

xCobalt

I have a big problem with defense. More specifically dealing with high/low mix up and throw mixups. Lets say the opponent successfully jumped in and I didn't AA the attack but blocked it instead. Most of the time it's either mash low or throw. If I block low, they can usually keep mashing low until they inevitably get a counter hit (in part of gouken's really slow normals upclose). If they go for throw, they usually get it (in part of gouken's really slow normals making his throw tech harder to do.) I know you can add MK to turn his 5 frame tech into a 4 frame, but that still doesn't help against most of the cast and their 3 frame lows. Add in some lag and you have a fine recipe for bullshit stew.

Your inability to crouch tech consistently isn't because of the character, it's because of you.

Gouken's normals has nothing to do with teching throws. If you get thrown while crouch teching, it sounds like you're mashing it and not really anticipating what the opponent does. You also need to realize what frame advantage the opponent is at after you block a normal. You're getting counter hitted because you fell for their frame trap. You need to delay your crouch techs a bit if people are doing frame traps. Lastly, most of the cast do not have 3 frame lows. Probably only 8 or 9 characters have a 3 frame low.

Imm0rt4l

Your inability to crouch tech consistently isn't because of the character, it's because of you.

Gouken's normals has nothing to do with teching throws. If you get thrown while crouch teching, it sounds like you're mashing it and not really anticipating what the opponent does. You also need to realize what frame advantage the opponent is at after you block a normal. You're getting counter hitted because you fell for their frame trap. You need to delay your crouch techs a bit if people are doing frame traps. Lastly, most of the cast do not have 3 frame lows. Probably only 8 or 9 characters have a 3 frame low.
Yes it does. That's why its best to option select crouch tech. His crouching short is slower than most, 5 frames.

xCobalt

Yes it does. That's why its best to option select crouch tech. His crouching short is slower than most, 5 frames.

Veal said it made it harder to tech throws due to goukens slow normals. Gouken could have a 20 frame crouch short and I dont think it would change this situation. When an opponent goes for a throw, you have about 7 or 8 frames to input your own throw tech. The speed of the attack doesn't matter. I suppose if you're just mashing crouch tech, it helps to have a fast normal but if you time your crouch techs, follow the opponents rhythm and recognize frame traps, it shouldn't be a big deal.

I need to work on timing crouch techs myself. I tend to mash it when I'm close to stun or losing badly. I also fall for staggered jabs/shorts pretty often too.

Imm0rt4l

Veal said it made it harder to tech throws due to goukens slow normals. Gouken could have a 20 frame crouch short and I dont think it would change this situation. When an opponent goes for a throw, you have about 7 or 8 frames to input your own throw tech. The speed of the attack doesn't matter. I suppose if you're just mashing crouch tech, it helps to have a fast normal but if you time your crouch techs, follow the opponents rhythm and recognize frame traps, it shouldn't be a big deal.

I need to work on timing crouch techs myself. I tend to mash it when I'm close to stun or losing badly. I also fall for staggered jabs/shorts pretty often too.
You can get thrown during a crouch short.

Trickster

I have no idea how to play agains't Vega.

Dat feel when I'm still a lowly c-rank at around 4-500pp, and the 4th ranked Vega joins my game D:

Deejay players- Is his hit power that low? I practiced using him yesterday and sometimes his power seems weak..

Also I got lucky the other day and took out a top 20 rufus with my D+ bison..

Threi

notag
Deejay players- Is his hit power that low? I practiced using him yesterday and sometimes his power seems weak..

Also I got lucky the other day and took out a top 20 rufus with my D+ bison..

Yes, DeeJay is a very low-damage character. Reason being he is extremely reliant on his jabs and shorts, and his fierces and roundhouses get very little use due to how situational they are, unlike Guile for example. His max damage punishes aren't very heavy either (unless you have full super and ultra 1 stocked - and by doing so you will have inherently limited yourself). You will be ranging from about 150ish (no bars) to 250ish (2 bars, multiple tight links)

Marz

How does Adon do against Sakura, Fei Long Akuma, Seth, Ibuki, and Cammy? Thinking about using him to cover Sagats bad MU's.

Marz

Thanks for the beating Marz.
We'll have to do it again some time.
Sorry about the last game. My wife asked me to go do something so I was AFK.

I'm just getting back into AE after having not played since vanilla SF4.

Yea GGS man.

I'm kind of a beginner myself so I really don't have a lot of tips I can give you or anything.

I know Sakura wrecks Sagat pretty easily though, whenever you have meter don't be afraid to use EX tatsu to pressure Sagat. Also learn her corner carry combos they're pretty easy IIRC. Oh and you always threw one hadouken and then jumped so I was reading that pattern, if youre gonna jump on Sagat you have to read him.

onionfrog

Yea GGS man.

I'm kind of a beginner myself so I really don't have a lot of tips I can give you or anything.

I know Sakura wrecks Sagat pretty easily though, whenever you have meter don't be afraid to use EX tatsu to pressure Sagat. Also learn her corner carry combos they're pretty easy IIRC. Oh and you always threw one hadouken and then jumped so I was reading that pattern, if youre gonna jump on Sagat you have to read him.
Thanks for the advice.
This was my day 1 Sakura(literally).
I should probably actually go look up combos for her.
Playing so much Marvel has given me bad habits, like jumping in too much. I gotta work on that.
In Marvel, aerial approaches are a good idea when backed by an assist.
In SF, you're just asked to be Anti Aired.

xCobalt

Thanks for the advice.
Playing so much Marvel has given me bad habits, like jumping in too much. I gotta work on that.
In Marvel, aerial approaches are a good idea when backed by an assist.
In SF, you're just asked to be Anti Aired.

Sakura's assist is her jumping hard punch.

Yes, DeeJay is a very low-damage character. Reason being he is extremely reliant on his jabs and shorts, and his fierces and roundhouses get very little use due to how situational they are, unlike Guile for example. His max damage punishes aren't very heavy either (unless you have full super and ultra 1 stocked - and by doing so you will have inherently limited yourself). You will be ranging from about 150ish (no bars) to 250ish (2 bars, multiple tight links)
Thanks for the info. Almost like playing footsie battle with him..cool I'll try that

LakeEarth

Thanks for the advice.

My two combo start-ups I use with her are:
If close: c.lk -> c.lp -> c.hp xx EX hurricane kicks or uppercut
Substitute c.lp -> c.mk xx Uppercut if they are far.

They are 2-frame links, and the timing is pretty much the same, so they are actually not as hard as you'd think. I rarely miss them, even though I barely touch her anymore. Then you should look into FADC combos after uppercut, and those loooong Sakura combos. Meaty lk hurricane kick -> hp link is also good stuff when baiting a throw/crouch tech.

That being said, watch some Uryo match videos as I am not up to date with the most current Sakura strats.

Kioshen

I've been playing this game since it came out and still can't reliably pull off combos like this one from xWax Solid with Ryu. Any time YF posts xWax stuff, I have to watch. Guy is the least boring Ryu out there. I know, not saying much.

http://youtu.be/zHYHDZyiFUE?t=1m55s

I have to admit that is pretty flashy and finally a Ryu using the cl.MK trick keep the distance at a minimum while doing a FADC combo. Problem is, what is the point of doing that when using a full stick of butter and full ultra doesn't even net you a kill when the opponent is at a third of his life.

I have been out for a couple of weeks. I got a new job and moved from SF back to NYC. My new internet connection feels like it got worse. Plus my gaming PC broke in the middle of the move :( So I am just Xbox360 and PS3 for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom