• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Sabot

I still get omega hype for sick counterhit setups and insane footsies, but that's just me.

This game is still the one of the most entertaining for me to watch these days, second only to GG.

onionfrog

My two combo start-ups I use with her are:
If close: c.lk -> c.lp -> c.hp xx EX hurricane kicks or uppercut
Substitute c.lp -> c.mk xx Uppercut if they are far.

They are 2-frame links, and the timing is pretty much the same, so they are actually not as hard as you'd think. I rarely miss them, even though I barely touch her anymore. Then you should look into FADC combos after uppercut, and those loooong Sakura combos. Meaty lk hurricane kick -> hp link is also good stuff when baiting a throw/crouch tech.

That being said, watch some Uryo match videos as I am not up to date with the most current Sakura strats.
Thanks LakeEarth.

I practiced c.lp -> c.hp EX Hurricane kicks -> etc in training mode for a bit in training mode today and it doesnt seem too bad.

Any other E Honda players out there?

Question. when playing against RYU,Ken, or Akuma what strategies ya got against the constant jumping?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Makoto feels like the dullest character in the game now that I've spent a good amount of time playing characters that can actually walk around and shit.

LakeEarth

Question. when playing against RYU,Ken, or Akuma what strategies ya got against the constant jumping?

EX headbutt is near unbeatable if you time it right. I also used to do a lot of neutral j.HP, since it covers such a large range and is "moveable". Be patient, back them into the corner and keep them there, and do damage when the opportunity arises.

EX headbutt is near unbeatable if you time it right. I also used to do a lot of neutral j.HP, since it covers such a large range and is "moveable". Be patient, back them into the corner and keep them there, and do damage when the opportunity arises.

Thank you for the info/advice.. I get a lot of Ken challengers and most do jump alot

it's kind of different with each shoto.
ryu and ken have a lot of safe jump setups that will basically bait you to waste an ex bar. when in doubt, i just block.
you can headbutt/ultra recovery of akuma's air fireball if they do it high enough, even from full screen.
for crossup tatsu, i use autocorrect jab headbutt. air tatsu won't hit you low and jab hb gives you upper body invincibility. standing fierce is just too fucking slow as an AA unless they really telegraph it.
for hands combos, i only follow up with roundhouse early in the match because they can mash dp on that. if they mash dp and you dont do anything after hands, thats a free ultra on the whiffed dp.
nj jab and jumping jab is fucking gdlk for quick air to air, better than fierce.

LakeEarth

Oh, and your air-to-ground jump in of choice should be j.mp. It got nerfed, but I think it's still good. I remember discovering that shit back in the Super days and thought I found gold. Nobody was using it, and it beat so much.

If I ever get back into Honda, I'll look into jumping jab, I never used it. But my stick is on Xbox and I now play on PS3 only (no Gold), and I don't want to play Honda without being able to jab xx hands.

Oh, and your air-to-ground jump in of choice should be j.mp. It got nerfed, but I think it's still good. I remember discovering that shit back in the Super days and thought I found gold. Nobody was using it, and it beat so much.

If I ever get back into Honda, I'll look into jab, sounds enticing.

do it!

also, for anyone else, jumping fierce has a wonky hurtbox, so you can actually jump in on a fireball and like honda's legs won't get hit by the fireball. if you time your jump in from like midscreen or a little further, the fireball on reaction should pass through you and you can connect with standing rh or jab hands depending on your distance

really easy setup with jumping jab is j.jab into a tick ochio throw. it works because most people expect you to go into jab hands after that kind of a jump in.

tbh i like to use a lot of tick ochio setups, i feel like that is an underrated part of honda's game.

Onemic

Any adon players know if there are safe jump setups that work against shotos? Are there any characters besides Akuma that have safe jump setups against characters with 3f reversals?

K.Sabot

Probably the 14th time I said this, but the PC SF4 community is 100% bitches.

Always going 1-2 rounds and then leaving (and making another lobby) or kicking me.

Not to mention that 20% of lobbies are just 1 afk guy.

Probably the 14th time I said this, but the PC SF4 community is 100% bitches.

Always going 1-2 rounds and then leaving (and making another lobby) or kicking me.

Not to mention that 20% of lobbies are just 1 afk guy.

You know, I was going to make a post saying almost the same damn thing yesterday(probably the 47th for me though), except in ranked. I decided not to but since you brought it up, yeah PC is full of bitches. Well to be honest, most online SF4 players are bitches. I've played on all 3 and have had a similar experience. Host a room, beat a guy, he comes back and beats me, he won't come back a 3rd time. Guy host a room, I join, I lose, I look for him again and he's not hosting because he's probably dodging me. This happens quite often.

Yeah I'm assuming, but I bet that's what their intention is. I'm sure many people simply don't want rematches, if that's the case then host again and kick me. By not hosting you make yourself look like your afraid of running into the same guy again. Or maybe they don't host much and went back to looking for matches using search again. I'm sure it happens but I bet most of the time it's cowardly players. As for those that comes back for immediate rematches after losing only to win the 2nd match, they have no excuses. They felt good about winning the last match and that's all that matters.

I'm not saying FT10 or something like that. But a simple 2/3 would be nice and at least show both players abilities to try and adapt to what they saw in the first match. But so many guys are afraid of losing that they will take their win(lucky or not) and savor it instead of trying to get better and playing better comp. I will take several beatdowns, lose hundreds of points, and try to learn from playing a better player even if I never win. I just wish more players had the same kind of attitude.

jlai

I've had the opposite experience for AE PC. Pretty much exclusively only been play endless for a while now and run many long sets with people all the time. Rarely ever the 1 or 2 and bounce. And in all my time (a lot) for endless/ranked I have received only a few salty/rage messages.

Threi

notag
I have gotten far more hatemail on AE PC than I ever did on all versions (Vanilla to AE2012) on 360 combined. I dunno wtf is up with PC players. Completely unprovoked too. I'd say about 40-50% of the time when I play a random I will get some sort of hatemail.

One dude sent me this gigantic rant on how difficult it is to play Akuma online and how cheap DeeJay is. How Akuma has to work so hard to get the win in the matchup while DeeJay can just cheese his way to victory, and how if it was offline I wouldn't stand a chance.

jbug617

Banned
I have gotten far more hatemail on AE PC than I ever did on all versions (Vanilla to AE2012) on 360 combined. I dunno wtf is up with PC players. Completely unprovoked too. I'd say about 40-50% of the time when I play a random I will get some sort of hatemail.

One dude sent me this gigantic rant on how difficult it is to play Akuma online and how cheap DeeJay is. How Akuma has to work so hard to get the win in the matchup while DeeJay can just cheese his way to victory, and how if it was offline I wouldn't stand a chance.

could be since the game goes on sale frequently on PC, more casual people pick it up on a whim and they face the harsh reality of playing SF4 online.

thanks for the help on the Ken RYU battles. I've been using the crawl forward method while they jump back and forth and getting them to the corner. The damage is great. Still need to work on my tech throws.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan

This has been my experience as well. It's easier to send rage mail on a whim when you have a keyboard in front of you, I guess.

Several months ago there was some thread on SRK where a bunch of PC players were talking about how the PC community was more mature than on consoles and I was like lol, I get more salt from PC in a month than I ever did on XBL and I got dogpiled by a million dudes talking about how I must be the one provoking it because people who can afford gaming PCs are mostly mature adults and etc.

I think that's when I stopped posting on SRK.

Wtf..I think I got the same message....dude kept saying how akuma is the most difficult playing online...and I was my ryu lol....then I kept trolling him saying he's salty, he then wanted to money match me in real life....

I have my messages set to Friends Only, keeps the trolling and hate away.

Plus, I get a bunch of random messages asking me to upload their matches on YouToobz. :|

Kioshen

I might get a new Xbox this weekend.

200.gif

How many do you have to break ? Kadey Staph !

Well it looks like I've finally gotten over the passass hurdle. Won 10-2 with my Evil Ryu when we played earlier. I think I lost by almost the same amount last time we played. Man, I feel like a new man already lol.

But then I let him win the last game :(

Well it looks like I've finally gotten over the passass hurdle. Won 10-2 with my Evil Ryu when we played earlier. I think I lost by almost the same amount last time we played. Man, I feel like a new man already lol.

you still havent passed dat BLANKA hurdle son!

#emptyvictory

ggs. zzz. most of those rounds went down to the wire but I was playing too patient and got caught. and yun.

thanks for the help on the Ken RYU battles. I've been using the crawl forward method while they jump back and forth and getting them to the corner. The damage is great. Still need to work on my tech throws.

additionally, you can use nj fierce (more towards in the air) to approach from full screen to avoid dps. if they try point blank fireballs, use jab headbutt to go through it. if they are fishing for cr.mk xx fireball you can mp headbutt right over the cr.mk.

generally jab and ex headbutt is safe against ken/ryu on block. ken can only punish mp/fierce headbutt with step kick. ryu can only punish blocked hbs with super, so feel free to get hb chip off ryu until he gets 4 bars.

damnit i want to play right now.

MIMIC

Banned
Just woke up from a nap. I dreamed that Capcom introduced 3 new characters (and I got bodied by all 3). One of them could throw a hot dog or something at you, and if you blocked it, he would eat it. I was gonna come here to complain about it.

Then I woke up and started laughing.

Just woke up from a nap. I dreamed that Capcom introduced 3 new characters (and I got bodied by all 3). One of them could throw a hot dog or something at you, and if you blocked it, he would eat it. I was gonna come here to complain about it.

Hotdog > tortilla?

still a better character than el fuerte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom