• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 Æ |OT5| Waiting to go from Super to Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Xbox and PC dual lobby tonight. I think I have to make a new account since I can't sign into my Live name on both.

anybody on i wanna try some new moves

EDIT: i think ive pinpointed a major problem with my GUY play...i can't do jack diddly against crouching characters ._o

EDIT2: bad habits bad habits

Trickster

Do I just have slow as hell reaction speeds if I'm virtually never able to react to an opponent jumping in on me by using a dragon punch? I swear I haven't been able to dragon punch someone jumping in on me once while trying to wait for them to jump before starting to actually do the DP.

K.Sabot

Do I just have slow as hell reaction speeds if I'm virtually never able to react to an opponent jumping in on me by using a dragon punch? I swear I haven't been able to dragon punch someone jumping in on me once while trying to wait for them to jump before starting to actually do the DP.

I'd say a good 80% of people don't have the reactions to DP jumps ONLINE.

I've only recently started DP'ing jump ins and I've been playing SF2 since 1992 and SF4 seriously since the latter half of 2009. I know what you're going through man. I have shit reactions as well. Not all anti-air DP's are done purely because of reactions though. You can make up for some of your deficiencies by anticipating jump ins. This is how I improved my anti-air DP game.

I've always been a crouch fierce monster. But I'm always trying to improve so recently I've been using this method. I have to basically sit there and tell myself "he's probably going to jump now". Sometimes they do, most of the time they don't. But when they do I'll be ready to DP them. And it basically helps build confidence. From there you can start to improve your anti-air DP game in other situations such as getting crossed up or when someone jumps over one of your pokes.

I'm still a work in progress but I've slowly improved over the past few months. As it's pretty true what K.Sabot said. Most will stick to anti-air normals than risk going for their invincible reversal which they may not get out in time and at eat full jump in combo.

Dartastic

I wouldnt beat yourself up about it if you played him at the kingston booth. That's one of the laggiest setups I've ever played on.
OH THANK GOD YOU SAID THAT. I mean, I know I would have gotten bodied anyway, but not as badly as I did. The setup TOTALLY felt off. I literally missed a grab to ultra. As a Makoto player, YOU DON'T MISS THOSE. Still. I got bodied. I would have gotten bodied. Ah well.

I made it a priority to srk jump-ins. Especially online, people are so jump happy. Srk'ing jump-ins offline is tons easier but it can be done online as well.

That makes them work on their ground which a good majority don't have.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Pretty lively night. Was switching back and forth playing on both. 360 not as good as PC in terms of lag but it's still nowhere near PSN levels of bad.

RoySFNR

welcome! your name sounds familiar... what's your main character?

I use the same name on quite some sites including salty bet and the two times I posted on SRK. I'm pretty new to the game so I play a fundamentals Ryu but I enjoy playing Balrog and Yang as well. Thanks by the way for the warm welcome haha.

Is Hakan's U2 considered a hit or a grab?

Was watching a video and got confused :-/

It's purely a anti-air. You jump into it, you're screwed. You use a move that leaves you airborne like that Elf drop kick, you're screwed. When he has U2, basically you can't jump at him. If you score a knockdown, you should only jump if you're trying to bait him. Be careful though because it has good range. I've gotten hit by it several times trying to bait it with Evil Ryu's air tatsu. It can be done, but I have to make sure I'm well over Hakan by quite a lot.

Trickster

Ugh I'm starting to get so frustrated trying pull off even simple combos during actual matches that I'm having a harder and harder time finding motivation to play at all.

Feel like I'm not improving at all, and am just stuck being a complete noob at the game. At least with SC2 I was able to improve my play a little when I dedicated time trying to get better...

edit - any reccomended ryu combos? just the 1-3 easiest combos that also have some usefulness for a beginner

Kioshen

Ugh I'm starting to get so frustrated trying pull off even simple combos during actual matches that I'm having a harder and harder time finding motivation to play at all.

Feel like I'm not improving at all, and am just stuck being a complete noob at the game. At least with SC2 I was able to improve my play a little when I dedicated time trying to get better...

edit - any reccomended ryu combos? just the 1-3 easiest combos that also have some usefulness for a beginner

If you can't do a combo ten times in a row both sides in training mode chances are you will fumble doing it in a real match. However landing combos are not required to win, they are just a means to maximize the openings that you have created. Concentrate on learning how to use cr.MK it'll pay dividends.If you can't AA with SRK yet first don't beat yourself up for it because it's harder online and second try AA with cr.HP.

cr.LK,cr.LP,cr.HP xx Tatsu
cr.LK,cr.LP,cr.MK xx FB
cr.MP,cr.MP,cr.HK
F+HP, SRK

dat c.mk > fireball. All you need for success brah

OceanBlue

Haha, that's kinda how I feel. I've given up on ever being decent, which makes online games suck no matter whether I win or lose because I still feel like I'm playing like an idiot either way.

anybody up for some games? practice practice practice...

question: is there a way to look for videos of the top players with specific characters?

EDIT: why does everything that work in practice goes down the crapper with a moving target haha

welp, as a sign of something, my stick decided to crap out in the last match. RIP. ggs BV and Rice. someday i'll get that cr.lk->st.mp to work.

GG guys

Oceanblue: You're better than I remember, or maybe my memory is just foggy.

BV: You're definitely the superior player between the two of us. I found it so hard to anti-air your jump ins because of your constant back and forth and focusing. I pretty much just abandoned it altogether because I couldn't get a good read on your jumps and doing it purely on reaction is too hard for me. I have gimmicks, so that helped me win some matches. Sometimes I just said fuck it and went full retard, I'm sure you noticed.

Mesmerman: You have a lot of work to do with that Guy, keep it up.

Me: Try to improve anti-air DP, I let way too many jump ins get in tonight.

I'm going to TFC next week so see you there if you're attending.

MIMIC

Banned
It's purely a anti-air. You jump into it, you're screwed. You use a move that leaves you airborne like that Elf drop kick, you're screwed. When he has U2, basically you can't jump at him. If you score a knockdown, you should only jump if you're trying to bait him. Be careful though because it has good range. I've gotten hit by it several times trying to bait it with Evil Ryu's air tatsu. It can be done, but I have to make sure I'm well over Hakan by quite a lot.

This is similar to the video I was watching. The Ryu did a regular EX tatsu over the knocked down Hakan. Hakan did a U2 reversal and it immediately stopped the tatsu. I was thinking, "Wait...did it grab him or hit him?"

BV: You're definitely the superior player between the two of us. I found it so hard to anti-air your jump ins because of your constant back and forth and focusing. I pretty much just abandoned it altogether because I couldn't get a good read on your jumps and doing it purely on reaction is too hard for me. I have gimmicks, so that helped me win some matches. Sometimes I just said fuck it and went full retard, I'm sure you noticed.

Dat superior feeling.

I have a difficult time with Gat vs E Roo at least in the fireball war. That damn 3 hit fireball throws me off, I need to resort to rush down then. Also, those damn divekick/wakeup setups >:| . I had to bring out dat Rawg, so rusty with him.

Lastly, yes I noticed. :p GG's

OcenaBlue: Probably the most patience player I know. Press a got damn button!!

MesmerMang: You showed some promise for once. I Guy your new main now or your just learning stuff with him?

Trickster

How do I play correctly agains't guile as a ryu player? Can't really seem to win in the projectile game, and if I try to jump in on him I get a flash kick to the face...

MesmerMang: You showed some promise for once. I Guy your new main now or your just learning stuff with him?

a little bit of both. I figured i got weary of the hatemail from playing blanka the way i do and figured "you know maybe there is something wrong with me". I already explained i lack the hand dexterity (i've been playing sf since '95, you can't teach an old dog new tricks) and probably never will, but I want to change that.

i still have trouble doing dbl hadouken motions (remember all those useless ex dashes with nothing done last night?) but most of guy's moves are simple hadouken motions. Also, Guy is basically a DIAL-A-COMBO character since timing on his moves are relatively lenient.

it will help me get used to timing my fingers, even though the stick i use is sorta uncomfortable and i fumble my fingers a lot. I can do a lot of stuff fine in practice, it's just when i'm up against someone like you or Rice or someone who WHO KNOWS THEIR SHIT, i go derp.

Since his main weaknesses are dealing with crouching players and lack of good anti-air it will also force me to rely on things other than grabbing out of instinct. at least... that's the plan. I've gotta learn to bait people into DPs and handle Guy's floatiness, which will also force me to learn the footsie game.

eventually i will move onto my weakest characters, Rekkas (3 hadoukens in a row!? my poor fingars)

a little bit of both. I figured i got weary of the hatemail from playing blanka the way i do and figured "you know maybe there is something wrong with me". I already explained i lack the hand dexterity (i've been playing sf since '95, you can't teach an old dog new tricks) and probably never will, but I want to change that.

i still have trouble doing dbl hadouken motions (remember all those useless ex dashes with nothing done last night?) but most of guy's moves are simple hadouken motions. Also, Guy is basically a DIAL-A-COMBO character since timing on his moves are relatively lenient.

it will help me get used to timing my fingers, even though the stick i use is sorta uncomfortable and i fumble my fingers a lot. I can do a lot of stuff fine in practice, it's just when i'm up against someone like you or Rice or someone who WHO KNOWS THEIR SHIT, i go derp.

Since his main weaknesses are dealing with crouching players and lack of good anti-air it will also force me to rely on things other than grabbing out of instinct. at least... that's the plan. I've gotta learn to bait people into DPs and handle Guy's floatiness, which will also force me to learn the footsie game.

eventually i will move onto my weakest characters, Rekkas (3 hadoukens in a row!? my poor fingars)

omg i h8 ur blanka

Trickster

How do I prevent someone from throwing me at a random point in their combo? Really frustrating to be blocking a combo and all of a sudden I just get thrown.

Azn_Boy

Neo Member
How do I prevent someone from throwing me at a random point in their combo? Really frustrating to be blocking a combo and all of a sudden I just get thrown.

You mean being able to tech throws while blocking a blockstring? Crouch tech or stand tech to their blockstring rhythm.

It's effective at low level, but when you start playing against better players, they can punish you if they're looking for it.

Veal

You know what? I hope El Fuerte's update for Ultra is him getting shot in the head. Just point blank, shot in the head. By the new character.

gutabo

Better late than never!

Is Hakan's U2 considered a hit or a grab?

Was watching a video and got confused :-/

It's a hit:
hakan_u2_oiled.png

That means it behaves like makoto's fukiage(which only hits airborne opponents) but with crazy range and 2 frames of startup. And because it's a hit it can grab people doing air stuff very far because it can hit limbs unlike throws(which depend on a throwable hurtbox).

OceanBlue

OcenaBlue: Probably the most patience player I know. Press a got damn button!!

Lol, if I'm not pressing buttons, it means I'm freaking out. When I panic, I stop pressing buttons instead of mashing them :p. That's why I almost never tech grabs lol.

Oceanblue: You're better than I remember, or maybe my memory is just foggy.

I hope so :<. I noticed I have awful defense because whenever you or BV got in, I was dead, and it's super easy to push me to the corner. Also I don't ever feel like I figured either of you two out or picked up on any bad habits. That's why I feel like I'm playing like an idiot. I never adapt to my opponents or know what they're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom